The problem with tanks: low blast damage, even to the point that they are useless

Asynz
4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
Hello. Now anyone who has played with me before knows how much I hate people who complains for hours during matches but still keeps playing. If you hate the game, just stop playing it and that's it. I like Battlefield and the latest BF V is fun. But it does have many issues and this is one of the MOST ANNOYING ISSUES RIGHT NOW: TANKS ARE NEAR CLOSE TO USELESS. So watch this video, see how i basically landed direct main gun hits in infantry and did close to no damage with this British light tank (which should be good against infantry... that's the whole point of it). Please guys, fix this kind of stuff. The game is slowly becoming less and less fun because months are passing by and the same problems the game had since launch date are still present.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=AnmlDnI00lA&feature=youtu.be

Comments

• ElSamuel04
    115 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    What you got 3 kill alredy :D Main problem for tank regard heavy and medium.
  • Asynz
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    ElSamuel04 wrote: »

Well yeah, i got some kills... But only because i used the secondary machine gun... See how the first and last guys i tried to kill with the main gun took like 10-15 damage despite getting an almost direct hit? That's just dumb.

Tanks are very easily killed by infantry in this game. That would be ok if you could actually defend yourself... But you can pretty much land a shot with the heavy tanks a few meters away from a foot soldier that's about to kill you and 9 times out of 10 he will survive and manage to hit you pretty hard.
  • Paintpro_12
    55 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The only issue I have with tanks is the fact infantry can hide behind tiny rocks without worrying about dying... it’s like the blast damage is off from what it should be.. however I’ve learned to put up with it now... I’m top 1% on pc so meh..
  • Hawxxeye
    7779 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The blast is bad indeed.
    if the tanks are to have a slow turrets , the blast should increase accordingly

• ElSamuel04
    115 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2019
    Asynz wrote: »
    ElSamuel04 wrote: »

Well yeah, i got some kills... But only because i used the secondary machine gun... See how the first and last guys i tried to kill with the main gun took like 10-15 damage despite getting an almost direct hit? That's just dumb.

Tanks are very easily killed by infantry in this game. That would be ok if you could actually defend yourself... But you can pretty much land a shot with the heavy tanks a few meters away from a foot soldier that's about to kill you and 9 times out of 10 he will survive and manage to hit you pretty hard.

ya i know i hope they fix it. You can only get kill if you shot direct the enemy with main cannon otherwise must use machine gun. But the ammo are so low that i can't even suppress enemy or i waste too many ammonition.
  • Khronikos
    2236 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Useless? Tanks are easily abused in this game and quite useful, just not in the way you are playing them.
  • TuxedoBanana279
    347 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hello. Now anyone who has played with me before knows how much I hate people who complains for hours during matches but still keeps playing. If you hate the game, just stop playing it and that's it. I like Battlefield and the latest BF V is fun. But it does have many issues and this is one of the MOST ANNOYING ISSUES RIGHT NOW: TANKS ARE NEAR CLOSE TO USELESS. So watch this video, see how i basically landed direct main gun hits in infantry and did close to no damage with this British light tank (which should be good against infantry... that's the whole point of it). Please guys, fix this kind of stuff. The game is slowly becoming less and less fun because months are passing by and the same problems the game had since launch date are still present.

Yes, the blast damage is very frustrating, especially when I have to deal with those panzerfaust people that hide behind rocks, peek out, and repeat.
  • Asynz
    Khronikos wrote: »
    Useless? Tanks are easily abused in this game and quite useful, just not in the way you are playing them.

please elaborate. because i don't know how you could justify that your cannon only works to "scare" (if anything) infantry... i mean, look at the video. almost direct hits and not only there were no kills but also almost any damage. Add to that how very easily they can be taken down by infantry, so they don't even work as mobile covering for your ally soldiers. I'm ok with turret speed; i'm ok with the low resistance to anti-tank gadgets; i'm super ok with the limited ammo. But really, why bother using tanks in this game right now? i mean... not even for transportation man!!! The only armored vehicles that are somewhat worth using right now are the mobile AAs (mostly german's)
  • rainkloud
    592 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

That cannon is NOT supposed to be good vs infantry. It's a light anti tank weapon. Use it to take out buildings/fortifications and armor. Use the MG for infantry. Learn more about which tank weapons have good splash and which ones don't here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1D7wkyXjO1XzYwqbkRb56J0UfAHUdS8GF-XHJRbzopsk/edit?usp=sharing

• B4ckdoorAssassin
    37 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2019
    Can take out a cement wall and sandbags....
    Can't kill infantry...
    Makes sense.

There is no reason why it shouldn't be good against infantry.
  • rainkloud
    592 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It can definitely kill infantry - especially if they are indoors. That cannon fire fast too. But you can't expect a 37mm cannon on the Stag to have the same level of damage as the Tiger and Churchill HE cannons.

The Stag is shoot and scoot and it's setup and balanced for that very well. It's the medium and especially heavy armor that needs some help.
  • AssassinAgent47
    19 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2019
    this latest patch , I feel like there has been a stealth patch to the stage-hounds splash damage and MG damage

something is off
  • rainkloud
    this latest patch , I feel like there has been a stealth patch to the stage-hounds splash damage and MG damage

something is off

Nothing to MG but the 20mm autocannon got some drag introduced which should increase the drop on the rounds and make them less effective at range.
  • Faylum
    440 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Ke7 and STG have better distance and rate of fire AND damage than the tanks machine gun. And guess what, they turn faster too. Also reload faster, can enter buildings, go upstairs, move anywhere they want... they can even kill at range. Its a wonder why the Germans didn't just remove the tank turrets and stick on 4 Hellriegels?
  • Sidorovich_IsGod
    168 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yep splash is a joke
  • WinterWarhurst
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    rainkloud wrote: »

That cannon is NOT supposed to be good vs infantry. It's a light anti tank weapon. Use it to take out buildings/fortifications and armor. Use the MG for infantry. Learn more about which tank weapons have good splash and which ones don't here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1D7wkyXjO1XzYwqbkRb56J0UfAHUdS8GF-XHJRbzopsk/edit?usp=sharing

I think what’s crazy is that some of the light tanks aren’t one hit kills with direct impact hits in my experience. Perhaps I’m incorrect?

In my opinion medium tank cannons should do 100 splash damage to infantry within a 1.3m radius for 2-pounder, 1.5m for Pak 40 & 6-pounder, 1.75m for Pz. IV short 7.5cm and 1.75m for a Tiger 1.

Coaxial MGs should have the same muzzle velocity as their infantry LMG/MMG counterparts (740 m/s).
  • rainkloud
    rainkloud wrote: »

I think what’s crazy is that some of the light tanks aren’t one hit kills with direct impact hits in my experience. Perhaps I’m incorrect?

In my opinion medium tank cannons should do 100 splash damage to infantry within a 1.3m radius for 2-pounder, 1.5m for Pak 40 & 6-pounder, 1.75m for Pz. IV short 7.5cm and 1.75m for a Tiger 1.

Coaxial MGs should have the same muzzle velocity as their infantry LMG/MMG counterparts (740 m/s).

Been a while since I played but to the best of my recollection everything but the 20mm auto cannon should OHK with a direct impact shot to infantry.

100 Splash for a 2 Pounder is a big no no. That thing fires way too fast and it's only 40mm which in the battlefield world is pretty modest. Maybe like 75 dmg would be good

100 for pak 40 and 6 pounder at 1.3m and under the condition that you improved reload is moved so it can't be used with the 6 pounder.

Slight increase in velocity for the PZIV short

Tiger at 1.75 inner blast

Regarding MG's I could go for 740m/s but only on the top exposed gunner - This would give them some much needed protection by way of long distance offensive capability. The port gunner could get a modest increase while the coax could get a very slight one.

I know you often wonder why the medium tank takes more damage to the rear than the light tank - This is for balance reasons. Light tanks can take max damage from the front via their turret so they are constantly vulnerable. The medium tanks on the other hand have better protection in the front and sides but owing to bigger engines are more vulnerable in the rear. This gives infantry and light tanks a chance if they can sneak up behind them. This is reminiscent of BF4 where the MBT took more damage from the rear than did the LAV. Perhaps PIAT damage overall needs to be dropped a little bit.

Regarding why larger shells have worse HE - this is actually based in reality. Higher velocity cannons were worse for HE. This is due to the need for more reinforcement casing to tolerate the higher velocities which led to less room for explosives. They were also worse in that they tended to burrow into the ground thanks to the high speed and thus some of the explosive fragmentation effect was lost. So it is both thematically and balance wise correct to have the slow PZIV short barrel doing very good HE damage.

• MBT_Layzan
    2462 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'd be happy if the main cannons didn't kill but messed up vision, hearing and aim for several seconds to infantry within the blast radius. It's just too easy for infantry to fire AT weapons at tanks, and for tanks to be disabled/destroyed by multiple really easy to use/quick reloading weapons.

It would help so much if they made traversing in tanks smoother and sorted out all the stupid ways in which tanks get caught, flip and become stuck upside down.

I also think infantry AT missile weapons should never disable tanks. Leave that to mines, dynamite, bombers, tank round etc. They already do massive damage to light tanks, and slow ones are just super vulnerable on most maps to infantry due to being so slow and huge.

Most of these maps favour infantry, it's very frustrating trying to tank on them and disheartening having to run away so much.
  • Hawxxeye
    7779 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2019
    The tanks would have a lot less problems if the top gunner was 100% protected like in Bf3/4
    Currently you can still shoot at the top gunner even if he is taking cover
    A top gunner that can safely guard the tank from nearby infantry instead of turning into toothpaste after the first AT weapon hitting the tank would balance tanks a lot
    Post edited by Hawxxeye on
  • Pyr0Plazma
    404 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Half the problem is the visual effect of the explosion is nowhere in line with the damage it's doing. This makes it even harder to actually correct and properly gage follow up shots.