Headphone recommendations

ThePro_PR
175 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
edited February 3
I bought the Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum in late 2017. Around July-August I began having issues where audio wouldnt come out the left ear cup. It appears it had something to do with the power button since if I played around with it it would get fixed. Eventually is was just a hassle and I filed an RMA and got a new set around September. The replacements worked fine until last week. Went out to eat and when I came back no audio from one the left side, at all. The right side gave away that same day while troubleshooting.

I ordered the Sennheiser GSP600 wit the GX1000. They sound ok I guess, not worse, but they didnt blew me away compared to the G933 (I cant directly compare since Im still waiting on Logitech; their support is so slow).

I have always read of ppl saying to skip gaming headphones and just get a headset and mic so Im thinking of returning the GSP600/GX1000 and buying the Sennheiser HD 660S which get alot of great reviews. Would they sound ok connected to my ASUS Formula X or do I need a DAC/AMP combo? Any recommendations?

Will this work?  Has anyone used them?

https://www.amazon.com/BlasterX-External-Headphone-Surround-Sidetone/dp/B07FY45F2S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1549222650&sr=8-4&keywords=sound+blaster+x7

I will use them mostly for gaming.
Post edited by ThePro_PR on

Comments

• CSO7777
    1139 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 3
    I think that the Sennheisers are high-impedance headphones.

You will have to check if your MBs audio can handle that. It may struggle to get the volume high enough (if you are the type that need very loud audio).

If you get a DAC, make sure it can handle high-impedance headphones (if you buy the Sennheisers).
    Post edited by CSO7777 on
  • S1n31ra
    120 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Steelseries Arctis 7.
    I'm a hifi/sound nerd and don't expect any of these type of headphone to sound even passable but these are really good.
    And they're wireless.
    Comfortable, great sound, just works. Highly recommended.
  • XDCFluffy
    230 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    AKG 702's / beyerdynamic DT 990's (various ohm versions) are worth a look,

Really depends what you play / how you play. Above are better suited to 1st person shooters where positioning is preferred to bass.
  • vtallbloke
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I would also recommend the Steelseries Arctis7. Just got mine today on friends say so- Have to say he was right.
    Loved my Hyper X but they are a couple years old now, new build PC thought I would treat myself to these also. Just lovely
  • DrunkOnRedWine
    1458 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 4
    Creative Labs Fatal1ty Pro Headset still, 5 years old and still going strong. May have a look at the Steelserier Arctis7 could be time to move on

Edit - £130 - I'll pimp the Creative a bit longer...!
  • Aditrex
    119 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    i use hd 559 they are ok with some aditional freq. adjustment and i run them with my komplete audio 6 card
  • Jesus4000
    153 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I have a Sennheiser GSP550 surround headset and I can highly recommend it.
    It uses a USB connection and doesn't need onboard audio.
  • alienstout
    680 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ThePro_PR wrote: »
    I bought the Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum in late 2017. Around July-August I began having issues where audio wouldnt come out the left ear cup. It appears it had something to do with the power button since if I played around with it it would get fixed. Eventually is was just a hassle and I filed an RMA and got a new set around September. The replacements worked fine until last week. Went out to eat and when I came back no audio from one the left side, at all. The right side gave away that same day while troubleshooting.

I ordered the Sennheiser GSP600 wit the GX1000. They sound ok I guess, not worse, but they didnt blew me away compared to the G933 (I cant directly compare since Im still waiting on Logitech; their support is so slow).

I have always read of ppl saying to skip gaming headphones and just get a headset and mic so Im thinking of returning the GSP600/GX1000 and buying the Sennheiser HD 660S which get alot of great reviews. Would they sound ok connected to my ASUS Formula X or do I need a DAC/AMP combo? Any recommendations?

Will this work?  Has anyone used them?

https://www.amazon.com/BlasterX-External-Headphone-Surround-Sidetone/dp/B07FY45F2S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1549222650&sr=8-4&keywords=sound+blaster+x7

I will use them mostly for gaming.

The G933 are wireless right? That's the problem. I've had the G35 (wired) for 8 years now and have only needed to replace the cushion on top.
  • CSO7777
    1139 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 4
    AKG 702's / beyerdynamic DT 990's (various ohm versions) are worth a look,

Really depends what you play / how you play. Above are better suited to 1st person shooters where positioning is preferred to bass.
    This or Audio-Technica ATH-M50X they are pretty cheap at the moment and also very good. They are closed cups though.

All the above are headphones made for music-mixing and are very revealing and neutral sounding. For the price they are very very good and doesn't emphasize any frequencies (and becomes tiring to listen to).

But they don't have a mic...
  • SavageBeastZero
    67 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The primary aspect of sound you should focus on is directional and an open ear pair of Hi-Fi headphones will absolutely out perform everything else. There are some fantastic manufacturers out there such as HIFIMAN, Grader, KOSS, Beyer Dynamic and more. Yet, I highly recommend anything from HIFIMAN specifically for directional audio. I personally use the HIFIMAN HE400i's and can pinpoint players with accuracy. The sound separation is amazing.

Check out the youtube channel Z Reviews. It's hosted by a guy named Zeos and he's pretty much the defacto of all things high end audio. He has a guide on Reddit that will help you out quite a bit on what you should look for and some recommendations that should get you started. There's countless options out there. Just take your time, research as much as possible and you'll be incredibly satisfied with your decision. Once you go open ear headphones, you'll never touch a gaming headset again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/97mi5s/zguides_headphones/

Good luck man.
  • GOA-Johnny-BK-
    256 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I use the Astro A50's and love them. I've had many different one's and I still go back to them.
  • LEGATVS_ROMANVS
    379 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 5
    Im using Sennheiser HD 700, my sound card is a Onkyo A-9010 audiophile receiver plugged into the computer via QED Performance Optical Graphite toslink cable
  • OhMy_DrDeath
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 5
    Stay away from any "gaming" headsets. Instead buy the best stereo headset you can allow for in your budget along with the modmic by antlion (search for it) if you need a mic. They now have a wireless version of the modmic cutting down on the cables. I have had two of sennheiser's highest end so called gaming headsets both of which became faulty after 12-18 months. I have had my modmic and head phones for 4 years without issue. The audio quality of the modmic is as good as any "gaming" headset. You will also have a better set of cans to listen to music with. What HiFi or similar sites will give you a good guide to various head phones for different budgets. Don't bother with surround sound headsets, they are all rubbish.
  • Kompura
    250 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Beyerdynamic DT990 if you like open or DT770 if you want closed headset. I'm having DT990 Pro with impedance 250 ohm so it needs sound card or DAC but i think there are low impedance models also.
  • Corrupt_be
    231 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 5
    From what I hear on Head-Fi forums, the Beyerdynamics have some of the best soundstages for gaming (well there's other brands offering too, but often in the extreme high end which will cost you an arm, leg & your 2 kidneys).

Myself, I'm using a Sennheiser HD650 with Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 AMP and ASUS Essence STX II soundcard.

One thing to note: high end audio equipment is built to last. This is my 2nd HD650 and the previous one lasted me 12 years until I broke the headband and replacing everything that wore down would've costed me 2/3rds of a new one, so I decided to get a new pair.

I see people buying cheap € 50 gaming headsets every 2 years. Multiply € 50 times 6, that's € 300, you could've spent that on high-end gear and enjoyed much better audio in just about everything for 12 years or even longer.

Note, that was 12 years of nearly everyday usage (several hours / day). The amplifier is STILL going at 14 years now.
  • Red_Label_Scotch
    1232 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Stay away from any "gaming" headsets. Instead buy the best stereo headset you can allow for in your budget along with the modmic by antlion (search for it) if you need a mic. They now have a wireless version of the modmic cutting down on the cables. I have had two of sennheiser's highest end so called gaming headsets both of which became faulty after 12-18 months. I have had my modmic and head phones for 4 years without issue. The audio quality of the modmic is as good as any "gaming" headset. You will also have a better set of cans to listen to music with. What HiFi or similar sites will give you a good guide to various head phones for different budgets. Don't bother with surround sound headsets, they are all rubbish.

Pretty much every good and detailed post on audio headphones is summed up in what @OhMy_DrDeath just said above. Most "gaming headsets" are garbage, and if you are even a mild audiophile, then you will benefit doubly from a good set of headphones.
  • mackz0r
    9 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I bought beyerdynamics dt 770 pro 80 ohm. Good sound, comfortable, the pricetag was ok plus I dont need a dac or amp. So can recommend these if you want closed. I think dt 990 are open if you want that instead. And maybe higher ohm if you want to invest a bit more together with dac/amp.
  • OhMy_DrDeath
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
  • TapperSweden
    202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Philips fidelio v 2.Best headphones i ever tryed, i love them.