EA statement on Battlefield franchise

On-Swift-Wings
304 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
edited February 5
DyrWw5hX4AUvQp4.jpg:large

Source: https://s22.q4cdn.com/894350492/files/doc_financials/2019/q3/Q3-FY19-Prepared-Remarks-FINAL.pdf

Prioritizing single player instead of Firestorm is the result of poor sales.. Forget PR disaster pre-launch.. And other very interesting comments. This statement is "informative" to say the least

Comments

• anken555
    57 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 5
    That's partially true. The single player is pretty bad, especially compared to COD WW2 campaign. 4 more maps for multi or Battle Royale at lauch instead of this solo campaign would have help sales.

But its seems BFV will be support through 2020, and this is really a good news.
  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6
    1492 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    "When we released the Season 2 content in January, Battlefield V became the largest Battlefield game ever" What is this. How is this the largest BF ever? What am I missing here lol.

They're going to have a field day with these excuses out in you tube land, probably even as we speak.
  • Redstripe101
    2567 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    "When we released the Season 2 content in January, Battlefield V became the largest Battlefield game ever" What is this. How is this the largest BF ever? What am I missing here lol.

I'm curious too, but I'll assume its just saleman talk. bf4 had "the biggest map ever" right? so i'm thinking maybe largest in "content" to a live service base game model. so the "largest" amount of content they've supported since BF free to play 1943 one?

either way, I do not see Tides of War saving anything at this rate.
  • skippylarue
    1004 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 6
    anken555 wrote: »

Through fiscal 2020: from may 2019 to may 2020.

That's about how long BF1 was supported, was it not? Released October, 2016 with the last expansion arriving in February 2018.

BFV releases November 2018, and will be supported into early 2020. Battlefield is on a two year release cycle so it makes sense.
  • fragnstein
    523 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    What I found to be particularly funny was during the questions. Someone asked about respawn and their future games, and the execs was very excited about the upcoming star wars game. He felt it was very polished and had great content in the 20 or so minutes he played
  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6

That's about how long BF1 was supported, was it not? Released October, 2016 with the last expansion arriving in February 2018.

BFV releases November 2018, and will be supported into early 2020. Battlefield is on a two year release cycle so it makes sense.

Well, supporting means just that. It doesn't mean we'll get the content BF 1 had. They had Premium then, and a robust playerbase. What's the sense of new content for not many people playing? There's no incentive for them to do it. EA would just as well put it towards Apex and Anthem, not put it towards a sinking ship.
  • rockin_master
    373 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I don't think it's a surprise to anybody that EA is even more dishonest with prospective investors than they are with their customers.

That's quite a feat in and of itself.
  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6

Well, supporting means just that. It doesn't mean we'll get the content BF 1 had. They had Premium then, and a robust playerbase. What's the sense of new content for not many people playing? There's no incentive for them to do it. EA would just as well put it towards Apex and Anthem, not put it towards a sinking ship.

Not necessarily. There likely will be less content because Premium is gone. However, 7.3 million sales isn't exactly something to thumb your nose at. BF4 sold significantly less than BF3 did at launch. I believe sales were down nearly 70%. It took nearly 7 months for BF4 to sell 7 million copies and yet that game was supported for a long time even if the game was a complete disaster at launch.

The reason is that a company like DICE/EA has a strong incentive to keep customers happy so they buy the next title. If EA stops releasing content in a few months, customer loyalty will suffer. Supporting a game after launch is one way to maintain customer trust.

It's nothing to thumb your nose at, if it wasn't half price lol. Which is to say, they took a huge loss on this, as compared to BF4 or BF1 lets say, at full price, and premium sales doubling the price.

As far as "customer trust", that sounds nice, unless you're having to spend millions on extra content, many will not buy, being you don't have premium, or play, being you don't have the counts. Count currently, number 18 in "most played" game on Xbox. And seeing "Ark Survival" has it beat pretty handily in that category,, i don't know how many players could be possibly playing this game to warrant the content.
  • Stahlmach
    1156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 6
    It's nothing to thumb your nose at, if it wasn't half price lol. Which is to say, they took a huge loss on this, as compared to BF4 or BF1 lets say, at full price, and premium sales doubling the price.

As far as "customer trust", that sounds nice, unless you're having to spend millions on extra content, many will not buy, being you don't have premium, or play, being you don't have the counts. Count currently, number 18 in "most played" game on Xbox. And seeing "Ark Survival" has it beat pretty handily in that category,, i don't know how many players could be possibly playing this game to warrant the content.

And dont forget they wont get much more money out of BF V. All their plans to get it buy selling cosmetics ? Well for that you not only need good looking or interesting cosmetics without going full Fortnite style but before that you need a solid base game.
    Who will spend ( enough ) money on Skins when there are bearly new maps ? Or interesting gameplay ? No new factions ? RSP ? Anticheat ?
    EA just looked at Fortnite and other titles, seeing the sales numbers by cosmetics and wanted to copy that. Without understanding what was the real base for that success: a working, fun game for its players. ( and no i dont like Fortnite, i despise it. )
  • warslag
    1594 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Battle royal could still do something amazing for BFV. Just have to see if it's any good and whether Apex or some other game might even make it irrelevant anyway.
  • spartanx169x
    760 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I must admit 7 Million is more than what I was expecting. It may be noted somewhere but they said units sold. They count sales as sales to retailers not to end customers. So without knowing the direct digital sales. That number could be and I stress COULD BE misleading unless they confirmed that the number was sales to end players not. Sales to stores. But as I said I fully admit I’m a little surprised. I was expecting around 5 million. It most likely would have been if not for the permanent reduction in sales price. We may get more player numbers at some point. They also have no excuse to hold back population numbers from battlefield tracker.