EA statement on Battlefield franchise

Comments

• CPTN-Cr4ptastic
    1701 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    You know what EA... I am so F,ing tired of this half penny forum of yours eating my posts every time I try to make a spelling correction! Could you PLEASE, fix this??
  • Stahlmach
    1156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 6
    warslag wrote: »
    BFV does still look messy though. But they may have been expecting that and that's why they chose the SP over BR so that BR doesn't suffer from being devalued by the Christmas thing that just happened.

Its still ****. The ones owning BF V right now will for sure take a look but that wont gain them any profit. And anyone else who is in Battle Royal will buy the countless other games that are focused solely on that and doing a better job with it.
  • warslag
    1357 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Stahlmach wrote: »
    BFV does still look messy though. But they may have been expecting that and that's why they chose the SP over BR so that BR doesn't suffer from being devalued by the Christmas thing that just happened.

Its still ****. The one owning BF V right now will for sure take a look but that wont gain them any profit. And anyone else who is in Battle Royal will buy the countless other games that are focused solely on that and doing a better job with it.

I think that comes down to 'appeal'. The game was once like that and now it's like this. The appeal of it has changed. It didn't appeal to me so I didn't buy it. But if FS is good I still might, if it's cheap.

This is what I believe EA is really doing. They are trying to give BF broad appeal, and it's difficult against stiff competition, with a game in BF that they have tried to steer towards an audience whose tastes have changed while maintaining it's appeal to die-hard fans. Obviously there is crossover appeal which is very tricky to get right.
  • UteUncleBarryyyy
    543 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Mentioning active users for the two previous titles but (still)not for BFV, while also stating they missed est sales by 1 millions is pretty stupid, it totally undermines any of the 'positive' statements. No wonder their stock dropped 20%. It seems just as customers aren't buying the game, investors aren't buying this corporate puffery.
  • warslag
    1357 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Mentioning active users for the two previous titles but (still)not for BFV, while also stating they missed est sales by 1 millions is pretty stupid, it totally undermines any of the 'positive' statements. No wonder their stock dropped 20%. It seems just as customers aren't buying the game, investors aren't buying this corporate puffery.

That's a really pertinent point you make about 'active users'.

Just speculating here, but perhaps EA thought that by issuing Apex, they could retain some of those players and compete for new ones. Something that BFV possibly wasn't doing.

It's strange how gaming is changing. The types of games are changing - which is a fad, the business model has changed towards live service and micro-transactions - which might be affected by law, and then the way games are delivered could change completely with 'cloud' gaming.
  • SummiluxLee
    73 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    In the PDF, it says: However, people play Battlefield for a long time, and we’re in this for the long haul. Battlefield 1 still has nearly 4 million monthly active users, and Battlefield 4 has nearly two million, more than five years after launch.

Is EA fabracating the number of monthly active users???????? :/ :/ :/ :/

Using Battlefieldtracker, we all know at the moment, there are less than 40000 players online in BF1 everyday (including PS4, Xbox and PC, and normally there are around 15000~30000 people). Let's say 40000 players counted as "active users", there are maximum 31 days for a month, so there could only be like 1.2 million "monthly active users" in BF1. So how come "Battlefield 1 still has nearly 4 million monthly active users"?????????? :/ :/ :/ :/ Where did that 4 million come from????? :/ :/ :/ :/

• SummiluxLee
    73 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    rainkloud wrote: »
    In the PDF, it says: However, people play Battlefield for a long time, and we’re in this for the long haul. Battlefield 1 still has nearly 4 million monthly active users, and Battlefield 4 has nearly two million, more than five years after launch.

Is EA fabracating the number of monthly active users???????? :/ :/ :/ :/

Using Battlefieldtracker, we all know at the moment, there are less than 40000 players online in BF1 everyday (including PS4, Xbox and PC, and normally there are around 15000~30000 people). Let's say 40000 players counted as "active users", there are maximum 31 days for a month, so there could only be like 1.2 million "monthly active users" in BF1. So how come "Battlefield 1 still has nearly 4 million monthly active users"?????????? :/ :/ :/ :/ Where did that 4 million come from????? :/ :/ :/ :/

40,000 a day but it doesn't mean those same 40,000 are playing all day. They could be swapping out players over the course of day with different ones. Also, fat kids count as two players.

LOL aha :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Good point
  • Pelliy
    2062 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    DyrWw5hX4AUvQp4.jpg:large

Source: https://s22.q4cdn.com/894350492/files/doc_financials/2019/q3/Q3-FY19-Prepared-Remarks-FINAL.pdf

Prioritizing single player instead of Firestorm is the result of poor sales.. Forget PR disaster pre-launch.. And other very interesting comments. This statement is "informative" to say the least

They're talking to investors. Not consumers They think it would have been much more lucrative to profit from firestorm than it would be for a single player that didn't generate revenue.

Which I can't blame them on thinking that.

BF single players haven't been good for a long time anyway.
  • Wikstone
    162 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Battle royal could still do something amazing for BFV. Just have to see if it's any good and whether Apex or some other game might even make it irrelevant anyway.

With this big cheating problem br is going to be a joke.

• mattd3162014
    313 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Wouldn't have even sold 7 million if not for half price after launch. They're blaming it on a two hour campaign? And not BR, that EA themselves just killed with Apex? Why do i find that hard to believe lol.

They need to stop it with the bad PR, and to make BF great again, means you first have to make it...BF again, and end this hardcore tactical nonsense nobody wants to play but a few cod twitch shooter enthusiasts and pc niche gamers. Turn off Jackfrags, turn ON the gamers.

Speak for yourself i much prefer a tactical game like we have now,and i would hardly call cod tactical lmfao really would love to know where you get that comparison.
  • Kongo030
    604 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Uneducated battlefield players have no money to buy BF V.
    In the meantime my teenage daughters play girls games and don't care about war games no matter how they are skinned.
    That guy they made leave for millions did everything wrong. He thought the customers were ready for his agenda - Suppose they gave a war and nobody came. Well not enough did at least.

Not releasing the pay for skins feature was just bonkers. Looks like someone intentionally wanted to kill this game.
  • parkingbrake
    3113 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Khronikos wrote: »
    To think if this WW2 was an actual great game with tons of maps and content it would be nearing 15m by now.

But you don't care about that because you quit playing weeks ago, remember?
  • Smuk1337
    80 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Gun master > battle royale
  • ackers75
    2208 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Wouldn't have even sold 7 million if not for half price after launch. They're blaming it on a two hour campaign? And not BR, that EA themselves just killed with Apex? Why do i find that hard to believe lol.

They need to stop it with the bad PR, and to make BF great again, means you first have to make it...BF again, and end this hardcore tactical nonsense nobody wants to play but a few cod twitch shooter enthusiasts and pc niche gamers. Turn off Jackfrags, turn ON the gamers.

Speak for yourself i much prefer a tactical game like we have now,and i would hardly call cod tactical lmfao really would love to know where you get that comparison.

Tactical looooool
    “Does that mean making a concerted effort to flank your enemy only to be inst killed by one bullet!
    Yeah it’s well tactical!
  • MAJWolfcookies
    513 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 6
    Anyone with 1/2 a brain saw this epic slow motion trainwreck even before launch. Unfortunately there isn't 1/2 a brain at EA & DICE. This is what happens when you antagonize your core customers to try to please those who don't even play your games! No mention of your botched marketing effort and the fact that you launched a buggy / watered down game that STILL doesn't work. Nobody in their right mind would pay full price for this half baked POS game. You've been half-assing it since BFHL and BF1. BFZzzz is even worse. BR mode isn't going to save this Titanic mess you made. I hope every decision-maker in the organization gets a pink slip soon. What an epic disaster you've become. But most of us saw this coming years ago.

BTW- Stop blaming the competition. As far as most of us are concerned, COD or Fartnite aren't direct competitors. Apples and oranges. Yet you still managed to fail in a genre that is unique to BF. That says something. You are TERRIBLE at what you do. Words cannot describe how bad you've become. It's as if you hired a bunch of interns and started from scratch with each title. UI, bugs, controls, sound, visibility, etc... Meanwhile you idiots are focusing on SINGLE PLAYER MODE???? Unbelievable!!!!
  • fragnstein
    381 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    If EA ships 4 million physical PS4, Xbox One and pc units to retailers they show up on the balance sheet as units sold. It doesn't mean those retailers sold a single copy. They could sit on the shelves until the end of time and they still count as revenue for EA because the retailers have to pay them for those units whether they sell or not.

EA did a product dump during the holidays, retailers got caught holding the bag and were forced to sell them at a 60% discount a mere six days after release because people weren't buying the game. They weren't buying the game with or without the discount.

EA didn't drop the price, retailers did because at that point they just wanted to break even.

They also said like 70%of sales were digital. So I guess the holidays didn't have anything to do with the game discounted?
  • zenn_nme
    708 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Prioritizing single player instead of Firestorm is the result of poor sales.

Seems like a very odd statement to me; who plays Battlefield for the Singleplayer!? The BF franchise has and will always be about the Multiplayer.
    They should also stop investing in SP & BR, use the stuff already created for new content of BFV's MP. Luckily €£ got its new BR cashcow; let 'em have it!
  • GrizzGolf
    887 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Add more weapons and maps. Did the community want a WW2 game before BFV dropped? I don't remember.
  • Smuk1337
    80 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    GrizzGolf wrote: »
    Did the community want a WW2 game before BFV dropped? I don't remember.

BF 1942 was a jackpot. Just that online gaming wasn't that global as it is today