EA statement on Battlefield franchise

Comments

• xBCxSEALxTEAMx6
    1416 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Dan Mitre gone. New that was coming. Probably many more to follow.

? Mitre was filling in for Braddock here on the forums, he's still with Dice. Braddock was always the forum guy, BFVs release was the first time Mitre was on the forum on a regular basis, it's always been Braddock. Though I find myself having better luck interacting with devs than the aforementioned community managers

Well, he's gone now...

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/anxtyy/thank_you_my_battlefield_family/

Look man, as i said, it's all going to start. And i think they may have too. We want to save this Franchise, and not have it become the next MOH casualty. So, whatever they have to do to right the ship, i'm for it.
  • BaronVonGoon
    6630 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

? Mitre was filling in for Braddock here on the forums, he's still with Dice. Braddock was always the forum guy, BFVs release was the first time Mitre was on the forum on a regular basis, it's always been Braddock. Though I find myself having better luck interacting with devs than the aforementioned community managers

Well, he's gone now...

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/anxtyy/thank_you_my_battlefield_family/

Look man, as i said, it's all going to start. And i think they may have too. We want to save this Franchise, and not have it become the next MOH casualty. So, whatever they have to do to right the ship, i'm for it.

Wow that's unfortunate. He hasn't updated his twitter.

To be honest 2019 is the first time ever that I started to entertain the idea that Battlefield could get the MOH treatment at some point in the not too distant future.
  • CPTN-Cr4ptastic
    1701 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

He's leaving EA to start a new business focused on E-Sports. Kudos to him, and I wish him well. You said that you knew that was coming? How? Why would there be many more to follow?
  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6

Well, he's gone now...

Wow that's unfortunate. He hasn't updated his twitter.

To be honest 2019 is the first time ever that I started to entertain the idea that Battlefield could get the MOH treatment at some point in the not too distant future.

Right, well i knew it was coming. When i saw 60% drops from the onset, and that the gameplay was not very good, it wasn't going to sell. And when you compound DICE's past boondoggles, going back to BF4, thru Battlefront, and now, it was only a matter of time before EA was going to start cracking the whip.

And don't forget, EA was in much better shape with the MOH debacle, then they are now. Sports were selling doing well, we had BC 2, and BF3 and things looked up. But when you get a franchise one problem after another, the shareholders will speak, and the rest inevitable. So, can they right the ship? Maybe, but you're gonna see a lot more of this to make that happen.
  • warslag
    1365 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Maybe they want to get somebody younger and more fashionable. Maybe a lady.
  • B4ckdoorAssassin
    37 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 7
    EA, Dice, and their love-boys have done a good job removing one of the main issues that didn't help with sales for their game...their political marketing garbage.

It's such a shame that so many people are going to beg EA/Dice to remove the single player campaigns from the game "so they can get more multiplayer content", when that's just a coverup to the hide the facts of why this game took a direct hit. Not only is there the possibility that EA will listen to this, but they'll sell you half of a game with the same amount of multiplayer content in current games that's going to be partially working at launch for the same price. You don't even realize that you're robbing yourselves here.

For what, a battle royal mode that the BF community never asked for, yet is implemented because DICE is trying to capitalize on a market even though their core audience doesn't care about it? There is so many reason why this game is selling poorly, and blaming competition and the single player campaign is bs.
  • MAJWolfcookies
    555 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

This is just the beginning. The bloodletting will continue and rightfully so. Everything is on the table.
  • HawkeyeAM47
    1315 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I think single player is good, but please, do a proper single player.
    I will continue to say this, THE PR helped in the horrible sales of this game. Please except that EA, it was not DICE they obviously needed more time from the likes of it
  • CPTN-Cr4ptastic
    1701 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

This is just the beginning. The bloodletting will continue and rightfully so. Everything is on the table.

Conspirasy theorists, I cant believe how many of you there are around here...
  • MAJWolfcookies
    555 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 7
    This has been an epic disaster of a slow moving train wreck since BF:HL. As I've been saying all along, we are witnessing the destruction of a franchise... Mostly due to the gross incompetence of the mgmt team and partially due to the inept programmers who seem to have taken over at DICE.

Lessons learned:
    1) Do not antagonize your customers.
    2) Focus on delivering the best product possible. "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." SAME APPLIES TO PATCHES YOU MORONS.
    3) If something is broken, fix it.
    4) An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure. QA/QC team (if there is such a thing at DICE) heed this.
    5) The customer is always right. Fortnite kids are not your customers. This is rated MA YOU MORONS.
    Post edited by MAJWolfcookies on
  • MAJWolfcookies

Conspirasy theorists, I cant believe how many of you there are around here...

Let's see how long EA supports this "Live Service" model for BFV. 1) it's not selling not as well as they hoped 2) the churn rate already mentioned won't yield $ in mtx as hoped. Ultimately, someone's going to have to answer. Soderlund already left. More will follow. BFV will die on the vine. They will pull the plug in less than 6 months and we'll all be left with this half-baked shell of a game. The only immersion here is your head being immersed up Uranus.
  • TamKingski
    1730 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    DyrWw5hX4AUvQp4.jpg:large

Source: https://s22.q4cdn.com/894350492/files/doc_financials/2019/q3/Q3-FY19-Prepared-Remarks-FINAL.pdf

Prioritizing single player instead of Firestorm is the result of poor sales.. Forget PR disaster pre-launch.. And other very interesting comments. This statement is "informative" to say the least

This is simply EA trying to push an agenda here,oh our game was rushed out due to single player blah blah,it Couldn't possibly be due to the poor reception/bugs/PR surrounding launch,nah it was all because of single player lol.

This is simply EA trying to spin this in a bid to fool gamers into accepting EA/Dice cutting a big portion out of dev time so they can push mp live service games out faster with less effort and still charge full retail.

Dont fall for the propaganda like sheep,anyone remember EAs last attempt at swaying gamers opinion in order to push mp only live service games?
    Making claims in popular gaming websites that single player games are dead and gamers dont want them anymore in the hope that by planting that seed gamers will accept it when they inevitably scrap sp in favour of mp live service MT riddled games. Then along came god of war and proved they were full of it.

The real reason is that the live service model doesn't work well with single player games and can and does make money in mp games where they can play on peoples psychology to manipulate them into purchasing microtransactions.

So in short they want to do less work but still charge the same price for the game and then sit back while they use every psychological trick in the book to get you hooked on whatever skins/lootbox rubbish they have in said product.
  • DJTN1
    306 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    IMHO, this game failed on many fronts. From the political marketing to degrading its customers pre-launch and lack of comtent, it's been on a self distructve path with no proper correction. Battlefield has always been about being a leader in its own category, pushing gaming technology to new levels with destructive environments, 64 players, large maps, vehicles and a superb immersion experience. Things no other game could do. To see them stop pushing forward with their own ideas and start following the fortnite / battle royale fad is sad. They went from industry leading to following trends. Their attempt to convert BF into a battle royale game is risky. I'm not so sure they'll succeed in bringing in new players much less retaining their core fans. It's a risk I'm sure they were aware of.

I like BF V. I just wish there were more maps and a pregression system that wasn't so coupled with the TOW updates. I could do without the capped rank too. Set me free already...
  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6
    TamKingski wrote: »
    DyrWw5hX4AUvQp4.jpg:large

Source: https://s22.q4cdn.com/894350492/files/doc_financials/2019/q3/Q3-FY19-Prepared-Remarks-FINAL.pdf

Prioritizing single player instead of Firestorm is the result of poor sales.. Forget PR disaster pre-launch.. And other very interesting comments. This statement is "informative" to say the least

This is simply EA trying to push an agenda here,oh our game was rushed out due to single player blah blah,it Couldn't possibly be due to the poor reception/bugs/PR surrounding launch,nah it was all because of single player lol.

This is simply EA trying to spin this in a bid to fool gamers into accepting EA/Dice cutting a big portion out of dev time so they can push mp live service games out faster with less effort and still charge full retail.

Dont fall for the propaganda like sheep,anyone remember EAs last attempt at swaying gamers opinion in order to push mp only live service games?
    Making claims in popular gaming websites that single player games are dead and gamers dont want them anymore in the hope that by planting that seed gamers will accept it when they inevitably scrap sp in favour of mp live service MT riddled games. Then along came god of war and proved they were full of it.

The real reason is that the live service model doesn't work well with single player games and can and does make money in mp games where they can play on peoples psychology to manipulate them into purchasing microtransactions.

So in short they want to do less work but still charge the same price for the game and then sit back while they use every psychological trick in the book to get you hooked on whatever skins/lootbox rubbish they have in said product.

Right, which is to say, when they were on an annual development cycle, on most every BF, we got even more content than what we get now. Campaigns, Bot Modes, numerous maps (and huge ones at that) etc. And so now, with TWO year development cycles, they're blaming the 2 hour campaign ? LOL.

What's going on, is exactly what you said, and what i said on the other thread about the SP situation, in that what they want to do, is water down these games, with a quarter of the content we used to get, with less overall quality, put it soley on a mp platform, and microtransact the hell out of it.

That''s their goal, and to the extent **** really believe they're going to get all so much more content, if only to end SP, i would say they're in for a rude awakening.
  • CPTN-Cr4ptastic
    edited February 7

Conspiracy theorists, I cant believe how many of you there are around here...

Let's see how long EA supports this "Live Service" model for BFV. 1) it's not selling not as well as they hoped 2) the churn rate already mentioned won't yield $ in mtx as hoped. Ultimately, someone's going to have to answer. Soderlund already left. More will follow. BFV will die on the vine. They will pull the plug in less than 6 months and we'll all be left with this half-baked shell of a game. The only immersion here is your head being immersed up Uranus.

LMAO! You Bozo conspiracy theorists are beyond hilarious! This game has already sold over 7 million copies... Battlefield games cost between 50 and 60 million dollars to produce, so even if EA sold every single copy at 50% off (which they did not) they would have sold 245,000,000 million dollars worth of intellectual property. That's 185,000,000 in profit only two months after release. Battle Royale, if done proper could double the sales over night, not too mention the microtransactions.
    When corporations project $500,000,000 million in sales to their investors for a specific project, and only sell $400,000,000 million in product, the CEO reports a $100,000,000 million dollar loss to their investors in the companies earnings report. Corporations count unearned market share as a loss, even though they made, $400,000,000 million in profit.
    There is absolutely nothing, besides the little voices in your head that would indicate that EA would pull the plug on this project and leave us with a shell of a game.
    Mind blown... I know.

Post edited by CPTN-Cr4ptastic on
  • 0SiGHT0
    455 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Completely out of touch to the Nth degree. Your stock price will continue to tank with ever iteration of garbage you continue to produce.
  • CPTN-Cr4ptastic
    0SiGHT0 wrote: »
    Completely out of touch to the Nth degree. Your stock price will continue to tank with ever iteration of garbage you continue to produce.

Stocks ebb and flow, they always have and they always will. When a company announces a new product, stocks rise, and when a company has a set back in development, the stock nose dives. Nothing unusual.
  • warslag
    1365 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    EA stocks are going up.
  • CPTN-Cr4ptastic
    warslag wrote: »
    EA stocks are going up.

Ebb and flow. It never stops.
  • rainkloud
    548 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Conspiracy theorists, I cant believe how many of you there are around here...

LMAO! You Bozo conspiracy theorists are beyond hilarious! This game has already sold over 7 million copies... Battlefield games cost between 50 and 60 million dollars to produce, so even if EA sold every single copy at 50% off (which they did not) they would have sold 245,000,000 million dollars worth of intellectual property. That's 185,000,000 in profit only two months after release. Battle Royale, if done proper could double the sales over night, not too mention the microtransactions.
    When corporations project $500,000,000 million in sales to their investors for a specific project, and only sell $400,000,000 million in product, the CEO reports a $100,000,000 million dollar loss to their investors in the companies earnings report. Corporations count unearned market share as a loss, even though they made, $400,000,000 million in profit.
    There is absolutely nothing, besides the little voices in your head that would indicate that EA would pull the plug on this project and leave us with a shell of a game.
    Mind blown... I know.

I'm skeptical at that 50-60m number but lets assume you are right. We still have to factor in another ~100m for marketing and then I'm sure there's a lot of other fees to account for and operating expenses so when all said and done while it's not a disaster it's by no means reflective of what they would have like to have seen and if the trend isn't reversed and microtransactions flop there may be little appetite to continue with anything more than a trickle of content as a show of token support.

I hope my prediction is wrong but there's just too much one step forward one back for me to hold out much confidence.