This Week in Battlefield V

EA statement on Battlefield franchise

Comments

• Pelliy
    2228 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Dan Mitre gone. New that was coming. Probably many more to follow.

? Mitre was filling in for Braddock here on the forums, he's still with Dice. Braddock was always the forum guy, BFVs release was the first time Mitre was on the forum on a regular basis, it's always been Braddock. Though I find myself having better luck interacting with devs than the aforementioned community managers

• CPTN-Cr4ptastic
    1703 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited February 7
    rainkloud wrote: »

This is just the beginning. The bloodletting will continue and rightfully so. Everything is on the table.

Conspiracy theorists, I cant believe how many of you there are around here...

Let's see how long EA supports this "Live Service" model for BFV. 1) it's not selling not as well as they hoped 2) the churn rate already mentioned won't yield $ in mtx as hoped. Ultimately, someone's going to have to answer. Soderlund already left. More will follow. BFV will die on the vine. They will pull the plug in less than 6 months and we'll all be left with this half-baked shell of a game. The only immersion here is your head being immersed up Uranus.

LMAO! You Bozo conspiracy theorists are beyond hilarious! This game has already sold over 7 million copies... Battlefield games cost between 50 and 60 million dollars to produce, so even if EA sold every single copy at 50% off (which they did not) they would have sold 245,000,000 million dollars worth of intellectual property. That's 185,000,000 in profit only two months after release. Battle Royale, if done proper could double the sales over night, not too mention the microtransactions.
    When corporations project $500,000,000 million in sales to their investors for a specific project, and only sell $400,000,000 million in product, the CEO reports a $100,000,000 million dollar loss to their investors in the companies earnings report. Corporations count unearned market share as a loss, even though they made, $400,000,000 million in profit.
    There is absolutely nothing, besides the little voices in your head that would indicate that EA would pull the plug on this project and leave us with a shell of a game.
    Mind blown... I know.

I'm skeptical at that 50-60m number but lets assume you are right. We still have to factor in another ~100m for marketing and then I'm sure there's a lot of other fees to account for and operating expenses so when all said and done while it's not a disaster it's by no means reflective of what they would have like to have seen and if the trend isn't reversed and microtransactions flop there may be little appetite to continue with anything more than a trickle of content as a show of token support.

I hope my prediction is wrong but there's just too much one step forward one back for me to hold out much confidence.

I highly doubt that EA spent $100,000,000 million in advertising for battlefield. If this were rockstar and GTA5... that took over 3 years to develope with over a thousand devs working on the project It would be a bit more plausible. And if you read my post you would see that my figures are based on all copies being sold at 50% off, which in reality compensates for advertising costs.
  • Jokerdef
    41 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 7

FantaPantz wrote: »
    It shows how disconnected EA is from the Battlefield community. Who the hell wants to play a Battlefield Royale?

Good point
  • VincentNZ
    2895 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Jokerdef wrote: »
    FantaPantz wrote: »
    It shows how disconnected EA is from the Battlefield community. Who the hell wants to play a Battlefield Royale?

Good point

The BR crowd is huge. Of course the BF core community is not really excited about it. But the reason they develop the mode is to get a piece of the huge BR cake. Look at PUBG, that game still peaks at 1 million players per day on PC. BF1 peaked at 120k players. Even getting 10% percent of these players to play BFV: Firestorm would be a great success.
  • azelenkin0306
    560 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    It's amazing how they managed to screw it up after BF1 Commercial success. FFS, what it was so hard to take BF1 skeleton, remove some annoying stuff, add new features and voila - profit!

This game is like a checklist made by some random investor by calculating what brings money nowadays:
    • Ingame currency? - Check
    • "Free" DLC? - Check
    • Clown outfits that can be sold to kids? - Check
    • Battle Royale? - Check
    • Diversity? - Check
    • Grind for the sake of grind? - Check

I really don't believe, that this game was made by the same guys who made BF3, BF4 and BF1
  • StingX71
    815 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I must admit 7 Million is more than what I was expecting. It may be noted somewhere but they said units sold. They count sales as sales to retailers not to end customers. So without knowing the direct digital sales. That number could be and I stress COULD BE misleading unless they confirmed that the number was sales to end players not. Sales to stores. But as I said I fully admit I’m a little surprised. I was expecting around 5 million. It most likely would have been if not for the permanent reduction in sales price. We may get more player numbers at some point. They also have no excuse to hold back population numbers from battlefield tracker.

Game was heavily discounted month after release, was also included with Nvidia Card purchases for a while. Not sure how that plays into the figures. Churn on the game is crazy. Picked up a dozen or so new friends as most of my old BF friends have stopped playing. Now most of my new friends are MIA.
  • Sixclicks
    5073 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    BFV is a success in terms of making more money than they spent, but it's an absolute failure in comparison to the sales of the most recent previous BF game and what they projected to their investors.

While I very highly doubt EA would shut down DICE over a game that was ultimately still profitable, I'm sure EA and DICE management are not at all happy with the game's performance. Metrics tend to matter quite a bit to corporate companies.

More blunders like this could certainly lead to restructuring within the company.
  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6
    1436 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Sixclicks wrote: »
    BFV is a success in terms of making more money than they spent, but it's an absolute failure in comparison to the sales of the most recent previous BF game and what they projected to their investors.

While I very highly doubt EA would shut down DICE over a game that was ultimately still profitable, I'm sure EA and DICE management are not at all happy with the game's performance. Metrics tend to matter quite a bit to corporate companies.

More blunders like this could certainly lead to restructuring within the company.

Well, that's the thing, we don't know if it is vert profitable. It was cut half price out of the gate (if not probably would have sold only 3 million). No Premium, which in many cases doubles the sales given the price of that being the price of a full game.

Then you have to look at BF1, where as, initial sales were great, only to plummet players in it's first few months, having EA discounting Premium and dlc fairly quickly (the 'Revolution" situation), and so that may have even lost. BF4 shareholders took a soaking. The Battleloot 2. It goes on. How much more losses could they absorb?

So, we just don't know if they're making money on this, and if not, like MOH, that's gonna be it. They seem to be doing well with free to play. If Anthem works out that will be their flagship, as they milk what's ever left out of their sports. But losses mean downsizing, and so i agree, restructuring is certainly going to happen,, and thwe Dan Mitresituation likely to only be the forst of many future casualties.
  • Sixclicks
    5073 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Well, that's the thing, we don't know if it is vert profitable. It was cut half price out of the gate (if not probably would have sold only 3 million). No Premium, which in many cases doubles the sales given the price of that being the price of a full game.

Then you have to look at BF1, where as, initial sales were great, only to plummet players in it's first few months, having EA discounting Premium and dlc fairly quickly (the 'Revolution" situation), and so that may have even lost. BF4 shareholders took a soaking. The Battleloot 2. It goes on. How much more losses could they absorb?

So, we just don't know if they're making money on this, and if not, like MOH, that's gonna be it. They seem to be doing well with free to play. If Anthem works out that will be their flagship, as they milk what's ever left out of their sports. But losses mean downsizing, and so i agree, restructuring is certainly going to happen,, and thwe Dan Mitresituation likely to only be the forst of many future casualties.

While we don't know for a fact that it was profitable, I'd personally assume it most likely was. At minimum, if we assumed they averaged $30 gross per copy sold, which obviously is lower than actuall, they'd have made $210M. I think $45 per is a more reasonable estimate when you consider full price sales and deluxe copies. In which case they're at $315M. I highly doubt they spent that much on marketing and development.

They may not have a great profit margin off that, and the profit may decrease if the microtransaction don't sell well with continued development costs. Still, I highly doubt they'd be shut down over it.
  • rockin_master
    373 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 7
    No one is buying the ridiculous excuses set forth by EA or PR shills.

BFV's original myriad of problems broken down simply and concisely, a little bit of sugar helps the medicine go down. This video is 8 months old and things have only gotten much worse.
  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6

While we don't know for a fact that it was profitable, I'd personally assume it most likely was. At minimum, if we assumed they averaged $30 gross per copy sold, which obviously is lower than actuall, they'd have made $210M. I think $45 per is a more reasonable estimate when you consider full price sales and deluxe copies. In which case they're at $315M. I highly doubt they spent that much on marketing and development.

They may not have a great profit margin off that, and the profit may decrease if the microtransaction don't sell well with continued development costs. Still, I highly doubt they'd be shut down over it.

Well, again, if your sales are only half of what you anticipated, knowing companies invest for the future based in what those projections are, it's gonna hurt. And so, with a two year development cycle, and seeing the "credits' section of the game, looking like a major motion picture in who they have to pay across the world, and new markets to invest in, and commercial advertising, licensing deals (Disney as an example), and the rest, i think we might be quite surprised in how much these seemingly never ending boondoggles cost companies.

I mean, everyone is entitled to a flop, but they've been having huge issues since BF 4. A fella here, a stock trader, just shared with us, this was no secret, and common knowledge. Then you have the situation with the major stock dumps going on in there, which i won't talk about, here, but you're welcome to look into that.

So, i would say in the least as you said, major restructuring, and with that, wouldn''t rule out some shut downs of failing studios and/or franchises.
  • MAJWolfcookies
    568 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    0SiGHT0 wrote: »
    Completely out of touch to the Nth degree. Your stock price will continue to tank with ever iteration of garbage you continue to produce.

Stocks ebb and flow, they always have and they always will. When a company announces a new product, stocks rise, and when a company has a set back in development, the stock nose dives. Nothing unusual.

Believe me I know, I am a professional stock trader as my profession. The problem is DICE/EA have been on a sharp downward decline since the launch of BF4. The Frostbite engine, designed by DICE, is a complete failure that has been riddled with bugs and issues for half a decade now. This is the main engine that EA chose to adopt for NEARLY EVERY ONE OF THEIR AAA GAMES (Battlefield, Madden, FIFA, Anthem, Star Wars). Respawn's TItanfall and Apex Legends do not use this engine, as they were recently acquired. I have practically tested their horrid engine for them by putting tons of hours into their games and playing them at a high level. I can tell you everything wrong with this abomination, where it went wrong from Frostbite starting in Bad Company 1. I can tell you where they continue to go wrong with map design, UI/UX, and everything else you can think of. The same people do not make these games anymore, sometimes not even subsequent games, and it SHOWS. It also shows that they either do not listen to their player base or are unable to put certain plans into motion due to a constant rotation of high level staff members.

EA is a large corporation, and I have no doubt that major changes will come from this terrible span of game development that has ultimately resulted in a 50% stock price decline in a rather short period. In fact, those changes are already in motion. They are responding with not one but two battle royale games, attempting to mimic the latest fad of the past couple years. Also, they are making staff changes that will try to right this Titanic of a ship. Some form of management will eventually figure it out, but it might end up with the axing of the BF franchise altogether (not any time soon), or the reallocation of resources to other profit centers, such as mobile games and microtransaction focused titles. I tend to agree with EA's rosy, optimist remarks in that their big release titles and culture fads like Fortnite can coexist. I think everyone who plays these games or follows the company knows the real reason why BF sold much poorer than expected, and why DICE's reputation is going into the toilet along with EA's long standing one. Of course EA is not the only one in the sector to suffer as of late here, I think this is a lot of sympathy toward not having a huge phenomenon like Fortnite, but that is not the point.

At the end of the day, all I care about is returning the BF franchise to what I enjoyed playing on. Unfortunately with many profit oriented operations, business decisions often get in the way of that, and the same games that you loved to play never return. Unless drastic changes are made to employ tactics that restore BF to its former glory, I'm afraid my former remark will be the end game here.

Exactly. The franchise is on the ropes. Anyone who believes that EA DICE will turn this ship around is delusional. It's been a series of failures and there will be blood... Mgmt is going to get a patch! So will the franchise.
  • MAJWolfcookies
    568 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

This is just the beginning. The bloodletting will continue and rightfully so. Everything is on the table.

Let's see how long EA supports this "Live Service" model for BFV. 1) it's not selling not as well as they hoped 2) the churn rate already mentioned won't yield $ in mtx as hoped. Ultimately, someone's going to have to answer. Soderlund already left. More will follow. BFV will die on the vine. They will pull the plug in less than 6 months and we'll all be left with this half-baked shell of a game. The only immersion here is your head being immersed up Uranus.

LMAO! You Bozo conspiracy theorists are beyond hilarious! This game has already sold over 7 million copies... Battlefield games cost between 50 and 60 million dollars to produce, so even if EA sold every single copy at 50% off (which they did not) they would have sold 245,000,000 million dollars worth of intellectual property. That's 185,000,000 in profit only two months after release. Battle Royale, if done proper could double the sales over night, not too mention the microtransactions.
    When corporations project $500,000,000 million in sales to their investors for a specific project, and only sell $400,000,000 million in product, the CEO reports a $100,000,000 million dollar loss to their investors in the companies earnings report. Corporations count unearned market share as a loss, even though they made, $400,000,000 million in profit.
    There is absolutely nothing, besides the little voices in your head that would indicate that EA would pull the plug on this project and leave us with a shell of a game.
    Mind blown... I know.

I think we can both agree that BFZzz isn't living up to ANY expectations. Total Dev costs are in the $100s of millions on these games. So if a title isn't cranking out targeted returns relative to other alternatives, they will reassess as any rational company does. Hard to imagine that BFZzz will garner any promotions or "atta boys" among DICE leadership team. Instead, they will get grilled by EA and have meetings to review "what went wrong." You get my drift? Keep following this logical path, and you eventually lead to asset allocation decisions unfavorable to BF franchise. I know it's hard for ppl like you to understand so I spoon fed you. Even then I doubt you'll get it.

Mind blown... I know.
  • alienstout
    680 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 7

Mind blown... I know.

I think we can both agree that BFZzz isn't living up to ANY expectations. Total Dev costs are in the $100s of millions on these games. So if a title isn't cranking out targeted returns relative to other alternatives, they will reassess as any rational company does. Hard to imagine that BFZzz will garner any promotions or "atta boys" among DICE leadership team. Instead, they will get grilled by EA and have meetings to review "what went wrong." You get my drift? Keep following this logical path, and you eventually lead to asset allocation decisions unfavorable to BF franchise. I know it's hard for ppl like you to understand so I spoon fed you. Even then I doubt you'll get it.

Mind blown... I know.

You can't talk to him, he's a BFV shill. I agree, the dev costs are higher and that doesn't even factor in the marketing and support (as limited as it is) costs.
  • MAJWolfcookies
    alienstout wrote: »

Mind blown... I know.

Mind blown... I know.

You can't talk to him, he's a BFV shill. I agree, the dev costs are higher and that doesn't even factor in the marketing and support (as limited as it is) costs.

Gotcha. Forgot that these official forums are infested with these zombie shills who do no favors to the franchise. When are these developers going to understand that harsh and honest criticism leads to real improvement? Probably never.
  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6
    Completely out of touch to the Nth degree. Your stock price will continue to tank with ever iteration of garbage you continue to produce.

Stocks ebb and flow, they always have and they always will. When a company announces a new product, stocks rise, and when a company has a set back in development, the stock nose dives. Nothing unusual.

Believe me I know, I am a professional stock trader as my profession. The problem is DICE/EA have been on a sharp downward decline since the launch of BF4. The Frostbite engine, designed by DICE, is a complete failure that has been riddled with bugs and issues for half a decade now. This is the main engine that EA chose to adopt for NEARLY EVERY ONE OF THEIR AAA GAMES (Battlefield, Madden, FIFA, Anthem, Star Wars). Respawn's TItanfall and Apex Legends do not use this engine, as they were recently acquired. I have practically tested their horrid engine for them by putting tons of hours into their games and playing them at a high level. I can tell you everything wrong with this abomination, where it went wrong from Frostbite starting in Bad Company 1. I can tell you where they continue to go wrong with map design, UI/UX, and everything else you can think of. The same people do not make these games anymore, sometimes not even subsequent games, and it SHOWS. It also shows that they either do not listen to their player base or are unable to put certain plans into motion due to a constant rotation of high level staff members.

EA is a large corporation, and I have no doubt that major changes will come from this terrible span of game development that has ultimately resulted in a 50% stock price decline in a rather short period. In fact, those changes are already in motion. They are responding with not one but two battle royale games, attempting to mimic the latest fad of the past couple years. Also, they are making staff changes that will try to right this Titanic of a ship. Some form of management will eventually figure it out, but it might end up with the axing of the BF franchise altogether (not any time soon), or the reallocation of resources to other profit centers, such as mobile games and microtransaction focused titles. I tend to agree with EA's rosy, optimist remarks in that their big release titles and culture fads like Fortnite can coexist. I think everyone who plays these games or follows the company knows the real reason why BF sold much poorer than expected, and why DICE's reputation is going into the toilet along with EA's long standing one. Of course EA is not the only one in the sector to suffer as of late here, I think this is a lot of sympathy toward not having a huge phenomenon like Fortnite, but that is not the point.

At the end of the day, all I care about is returning the BF franchise to what I enjoyed playing on. Unfortunately with many profit oriented operations, business decisions often get in the way of that, and the same games that you loved to play never return. Unless drastic changes are made to employ tactics that restore BF to its former glory, I'm afraid my former remark will be the end game here.

Exactly. The franchise is on the ropes. Anyone who believes that EA DICE will turn this ship around is delusional. It's been a series of failures and there will be blood... Mgmt is going to get a patch! So will the franchise.

Well the great point he brought up was the engine. And he's onto to something there. I played BF 4 last gen, on both 360 and PS3, and i have to say, that was a GREAT game lol. No problems that i could recall at launch (Dawnbreaker glitch is all), as current gen and PC were getting killed. It looked like BF3, with a new take with China that looked like BF3. It was gorgeous.

Two years into the current gen cycle, i buy Xbox One, and played it there, and ugh was it awful. The waves of the ocean looked like a lake. The lighting and contrast, awful. The draw distance looking like painted crap in the background. I uninstalled that garbage in 15 minutes. In fact, i wish BF 4 would go back compatible.

But from there, and their problems, have been nothing but issues, bugs etc. This 64 players on consoles, just don''t work, and poses many issues that may have to do with the engine. Hopefully, next gen (IF there''s another game), they should just dump this whole thing and start anew. What a disaster.
  • naitch44
    666 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The word we're looking for is 'delusion'

They can't possibly think anyone cared about the SP when buying this, what does make me laugh though is that they prioritised it and it was/is an absolute joke.
  • BGHFlakjacket
    1278 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    EA is making games for shareholders, not gamers. That is why we have the all inclusive, politically correct version of WW2.
  • Khronikos
    2145 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Stahlmach wrote: »
    It's nothing to thumb your nose at, if it wasn't half price lol. Which is to say, they took a huge loss on this, as compared to BF4 or BF1 lets say, at full price, and premium sales doubling the price.

As far as "customer trust", that sounds nice, unless you're having to spend millions on extra content, many will not buy, being you don't have premium, or play, being you don't have the counts. Count currently, number 18 in "most played" game on Xbox. And seeing "Ark Survival" has it beat pretty handily in that category,, i don't know how many players could be possibly playing this game to warrant the content.

And dont forget they wont get much more money out of BF V. All their plans to get it buy selling cosmetics ? Well for that you not only need good looking or interesting cosmetics without going full Fortnite style but before that you need a solid base game.
    Who will spend ( enough ) money on Skins when there are bearly new maps ? Or interesting gameplay ? No new factions ? RSP ? Anticheat ?
    EA just looked at Fortnite and other titles, seeing the sales numbers by cosmetics and wanted to copy that. Without understanding what was the real base for that success: a working, fun game for its players. ( and no i dont like Fortnite, i despise it. )

Right, and what's also not being said, is what's being said...here...

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-has-difficult-quarter-stock-price-nosedives/1100-6464836/

In that, the rest of the story, is EA as a whole stocks took a major nosedive, primarily due to this game.

So, then you add the equation, on what EA may want DICE to do given these circumstances, to prevent more shareholders bailing out. So, from a business standpoint looking at these numbers, would you be encouraging DICE for new content for this game? As much as i'd want to see it, i think they'd have to crazy.

Look, we tried. We all have given our opinions, even ad nauseum on what could save our game, and make it better. DICE seems to think, Battle Royale was the answer, instead of a two hour linear target practice campaign. One would think that comment was demented and insane, not to mention, purely out of touch. In short, it's not looking good as far as new content.

You are absolutely wrong about EA stock taking a major nose dive due to this game. EA stock took a major nose dive because they were heavily invested in Teck stock, which took a major nose dive. I work for a major corporation that also suffered the same fate as EA and we're in the glass fiber business. Speak the facts, I notice you tend to theory craft quite a bit. So do quite a few others around here.

Actually, it is not just because of that. You sound like an apologist. A lot of issues together are deleting their worth. And if you think two major fails in their two biggest games is not hurting their stock you are being idiotic pure and simple.