DISCUSSION: Our Anti-Cheat Approach to Battlefield V

Comments

• mollyfrank1
    158 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 7
    Gee when I call cheaters I get bombarded with whinger, you're a crap player, lag, just better than you. I even got cautioned for calling one player out. Oh well it makes me feel better EA is out there looking through the bottom of a broken coke bottle for cheaters. Fact is you'll never stop cheats its human nature for some to steal more than their fair share.
  • neonhummer
    11 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 7
    Playing BF5 became so much boring with so many cheaters [video removed]
    And reported players never get banned. And he is obvious cheater
    Post edited by LOLGotYerTags on
  • Crazyhorse_ST
    postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Kauzer_RF wrote: »
    To do list:
    - in game few clicks report method. Also If cheating player gets for example 20 reports from 64 playing on that server ppl, he should be kicked from server and notification sended to EA\DICE support crew;
    - maximum cruel panishment for cheaters, i mean origin account ban;

In my opinion, (suspected) hackers should not be banned from Origin. This is because some people might just be good, and seem like hackers. This would basically get legit, skilled players completely locked out of their Origin games. Of course, this could be a good method if the player is CLEARLY hacking, but milder hacks, such as WH (if it's hidden very well) can be hard to spot and good players can seem like hackers due to their awareness and aim.

I'm was not speaking about suspected players, i'm speaking about ppl which shoot in the skys with MG and killing enemys at another end of the map etc. 100% confirmed cheater should be punished very hard, as much as devs could do it in theory. Unfair game lovers should clearly understand what will they recieve after using cheats. At the moment we have cheaters because the got ban only on one server, and nothing stops them to just join to another one. Full account ban will fix it.

Yeah, right....usually people like you who try to defend suspected players are usually a cheater.....gotta love it..."please don't ban me for being a good player" when in fact your a pos that can't play without cheating making the game suck for righteous players. I been gaming ( EA BF series for 20 years ) and love the whining that goes with being banned.... miss Punkbuster, still believe it's a great anti cheat engine.....but I will say this: if EA don't get a handle on this soon, they'll be taking a worse than they already have hit cause we'll find something else to play... not like there ain't a ton of **** out there..
  • N2h2
    26 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Cheating issue cannot be taken lightly... You probably know better than all of us what is the effect on a game population when every games are ruinned by a single cheater.

Not considering cheat detection (which for me is a priority) that will never be perfect because cheat devs will alway do their best to avoid their hack being detected. The most important thing IMO is adding a better way to signal suspicious behavior. It is actually not convenient at all to report a cheater. We, Customers, paid to enjoy a game and chill, not to endure cheating issue nor spending hours strugguling with report system that is , in it actual state, a real mess.

One other thing we disscussed a lot (we are long time online gamer community) is the fact actually it really seems absolutely nothing is done to avoid cheaters.

-People can deal up to 10x legit damage with a weapon without the game preventing it? How is that possible, even the more basic anti-cheat system should be able to detect this. I met a few, they stayed in game as long as they wanted. (MAttiace did a video about it, this kind of cheater arn't even afraid to be detected, because there are nothing preventing this)

-People can land more than 60 headshots per minutes, simply running thru the map with a medium machin gun, killing people with a single bullet. You can argue this may be a really good player behavior. But in some case, this is just blatant use of cheats. Same fact, player get reported days ago, and this account is still active. The case i'm speaking about is a player running in rotterdam (bombed maps in ^part 3/3 of grand operation) with a lewis, instantly killing every single player that enter his field of view, able to land more than 5 headshots/second to players at various distance and far one from an other... This account is still active!
    How the most basic anti cheat engine can't even detect that? Even player in his team where leaving not to be involved in that mess.

Maybe some communication, in a fair and honnest way could happen on thoses issues. Better admiting nothing was made until now to prevent cheating or admitting anti cheat engine was really broken. LAck of communication is leading to rumors that can hurt more than a dispointing truth.

We are not undereducated idiots, most of us can understand issues happen, but having an anti cheat system that on a AAA game that is not even able to detect what most basic indi games anti cheat can dois totally disapointing.

I know people working on anti cheats are not the same as who thoses are working on game content. but IMO, having new content is pointless if it cannot be enjoyed the way it was made for.
    This game is not perfect, but IMO, it's great when you can enjoy it the fair way. But it's hard to enjoy it when 20-30% rounds are ruinned by one to several cheaters. Moreover, it's increasing suspicion within community and now, every single "lucky shots" every single "on fire player" (which can happen to anyone at some point) become instantly suspicious to everyone, wich is not helping to keep the geme fun and entertaining.

I hope improvment will come very soon, It's really needed.
  • HommerJaySimpson
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hello Battlefield V Community,

Today we released "Our Anti-Cheat Approach to Battlefield V" blog, providing some insight into our efforts for fair play in Battlefield V, our goals on constantly improving detection, and dedication to the Battlefield community.

What are the top five things DICE is doing to prevent cheating in Battlefield V?
    • Working on better prevention, hardening the PC client against exploits.
    • Scaling up detection efforts.
    • Investigating supplementary deterrence methods which can work alongside banning accounts.
    • Investigating methods of improving the reporting flow, including easier reporting.
    • Keeping up to date with the latest cheat developments and reacting to them in a faster and leaner manner.

We definitely want to work with the community on improving our anti-cheat efforts as an ongoing commitment to our Battlefield V community as part of our Live Service.
    We'd love to have your feedback, suggestions, questions, so we've opened this thread to gather all of that. We ask that you keep it constructive and productive. Together we can continue improving Battlefield V for all of us.

So, read through the blog and come back to share your feedback.

Jeff Braddock
    North American Community Manager - Battlefield

War lost course this week, only cheater with no damage and aim bot. Mode with 32 player has no way to complete the quests because of those unfortunate. Look at the South American servers.
  • Delta_Whiskey_51
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    @rockin_master
    Not sure you understand the meaning of "Constructive feedback", but it looks like a mod felt you needed a timeout to pause and reflect on it.
    Take care.

-Braddock512-

The very simple short answer is this
    invest in Easy Anti cheat for now..
    as a game company I am sure you are aware of most of the hacks cheats for your games.. these sites still make loads of cash and since you can not hardware ban.. a person simply buys a new origin account with even the same information and starts fresh cheating again..
    One thing you do not see on even the paid hack sites is.. hacks or cheats for GAMES covered by Easy Anti Cheat I am sure it is comparable or even less of a cost of useless fairfight that The battlefield series uses now..
    there is a game that has less then 5000 players that uses this anti cheat system so if they can afford it i am sure the big bucks at dice can as well
    if you want a nice sheat free shooter experience get RS2 Vietnam uses easy anticheat and is a nice game to play
  • Deltium
    34 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    As a COSTRUCTIVE comment, if EA / Dice are going to continue to make multi-player FPS games, then you need to form a PARTNERSHIP with other FPS developers and develop an INDUSTRY solution to face cheaters head-on.

(1) partnering with other developers to share data into a centralized, well-governed database, documenting IP addresses, MAC IDs, and other valid data to assess the location and source of cheaters. If a person is cheating in BF5, it is probably likely that they are cheating in other FPS games; sharing this data in a collaborative and effective fashion could be super effective. Notably, this shared database could also track other forms of abuse that players encounter such as extreme inappropriate behavior, which is also important to share information about. Ironically, this concept is already in place in our criminal justice system where if you commit a crime in one state, other states (if you live in the US) can access the data and see what you have done. A very similar analogy to the gaming community where it seems that each "state" (e.g. each developer) is not sharing data with the others, and big offenders and bad characters are doing the same "crimes" in each and every state, without any consequence.

(2) on a related note, sharing RESOURCES to develop and foster a sophisticated anti-cheat software program would be money well-spent on a collaborative basis. There are, of course, several companies doing this currently, but the industry consortium could perhaps fund a special project with all of these developers to create something really special. In my opinion, the anti-cheat industry is doing the best that it can on limited resources, and trying to stay ahead of some very sophisticated developers of cheating software (aimbots, ESP, wall hacks, etc.), who are always a step ahead. The industry needs to develop a true coalition to fund and defeat cheaters, which are a cancer to the entire industry.

From a financial perspective, I would suspect that each developer could simply allocate the same $$$ that they are currently spending on this issue and if it were to be consolidated and shared between several developers, the synergistic effects could be huge.

Note - realistically, not all developers would immediately sign onto this platform, but even if 2-3 did, it would create vast economies of scale and effectiveness for those in the ecosystem.

Very frankly, many of the ideas that you mention above are just touching the tip of the iceberg, without addressing the bulk of the problem. Basic solutions may win you a bit of positive PR and may make some of your members feel good for a bit, but if cheaters are still there day in and day out, then the player base will continue to get frustrated and leave the game. Something big needs to be done long-term. I encourage you to share this idea with senior people that can truly implement this, because it is a very strategic initiative that only senior management can pull off. No offense to all of those hard-working people on the front-lines dealing with the cheaters, but this needs a vast and material shift in thinking.

Many thanks for the opportunity to share my thoughts.

• Up2you2011
    77 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Fix the Lag Compensation giving high Ping Players (increasingly more and more) so they don't get the advantage in gameplay. Better matchmaking for localised regions ie Players play in appropriate regions would also be a good step forward. Clearly, you are trying to cater for everybody but those low normal pings/latency should not be penalised when grouping with players who are benefiting from high ping due to your lag compensation and the known netcode issues.
  • Zenga
    164 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    From what I've personally experienced in the game, I think there are several issues to be solved, some more easier than others.

It can be broken into 2 categories
    • - blatant ground rule breaking that should be hardcoded on server side, such as dealing 10x damage in a single shots than a weapon can actually do
    • - discrete cheating such as seeing the position of all players on the minimap or mild aim-assist cheats that raise little or no suspicion

Mandatory 2FA would probably help with rampant reselling of hacked accounts, but another step can also be hardware-based profile linking. Basically, connect specific PC configuration with the specific owners account. Yes, it would make it more complicated to change or upgrade your gaming rig, but if there's a built in threshold that would allow for example to change your GPU and a disk, but not at the same time with the rest of the components, it could work. Or if the account ends up falsely flagged, revert to 2FA as backup.

I don't think there's a way to completely stop cheaters, what needs to be done is to make their cheating so hard and complicated and risky that it simply doesn't pay off. Right now a cheater will buy a new account for a few $ and continue with his trolling as if nothing happened. I'm sure it'd be a different story if every time they were banned meant that they need to buy a full price account.

Community can certainly help with the reports, which should definitively be made easier - most users don't even know how to report a suspected cheater. But there has to be some sort of filtering, since people will sometimes assume that someone is cheating while the cause of the situation can be something entirely else. Yesterday I was shot through a stone wall. I knew I was in full cover and I also knew that there's no way the person that shot me could've done it from their position. So I went and looked at the shadowplay video I saved. I received 2 shots while I was exposed and 2 while I was in full cover. At least that's how it looked like from my perspective. But this person wasn't cheating. His stats are completely average, there's absolutely nothing to indicate foul play - It was simply a netcode error and if I didn't have the recording, I would've cried "wall hack".

There should probably be some sort of cumulative reporting system that would kick offline players that get a large number of cheating reports within the same couple of hours. Flag their profile, put them offline and have someone review the case. If it's all legit, return the profile. If not, ban them.

Most importantly: run a continuous PR campaign addressing this issue. Right now Youtube is FULL of cheating videos, which causes a sense of paranoia within the community. If you guys would come out and say "we banned these 10 people last week, our legal team has taken action against them" and do this week after week it would help with the current feeling like nothing is being done about it. You simply need to acknowledge there's a problem, educate the community on how to spot cheaters, how to help, why is cheating bad etc. and create a positive community reaction.
  • Cropulus
    259 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Why do not you just copy how PS4 and XBOX prevent cheating, or is this just a too simple approach suggested by someone that does not understand computers?
  • alienstout
    680 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Cropulus wrote: »
    Why do not you just copy how PS4 and XBOX prevent cheating, or is this just a too simple approach suggested by someone that does not understand computers?

Well because PC is a much more open environment with a lot more variables they cannot control.
  • FoxFerocity
    44 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    To do list:
    - in game few clicks report method. Also If cheating player gets for example 20 reports from 64 playing on that server ppl, he should be kicked from server and notification sended to EA\DICE support crew;
    - maximum cruel panishment for cheaters, i mean origin account ban;

In my opinion, (suspected) hackers should not be banned from Origin. This is because some people might just be good, and seem like hackers. This would basically get legit, skilled players completely locked out of their Origin games. Of course, this could be a good method if the player is CLEARLY hacking, but milder hacks, such as WH (if it's hidden very well) can be hard to spot and good players can seem like hackers due to their awareness and aim.

I'm was not speaking about suspected players, i'm speaking about ppl which shoot in the skys with MG and killing enemys at another end of the map etc. 100% confirmed cheater should be punished very hard, as much as devs could do it in theory. Unfair game lovers should clearly understand what will they recieve after using cheats. At the moment we have cheaters because the got ban only on one server, and nothing stops them to just join to another one. Full account ban will fix it.

Yeah, right....usually people like you who try to defend suspected players are usually a cheater.....gotta love it..."please don't ban me for being a good player" when in fact your a pos that can't play without cheating making the game suck for righteous players. I been gaming ( EA BF series for 20 years ) and love the whining that goes with being banned.... miss Punkbuster, still believe it's a great anti cheat engine.....but I will say this: if EA don't get a handle on this soon, they'll be taking a worse than they already have hit cause we'll find something else to play... not like there ain't a ton of **** out there..

Yeah lets get back Punkbuster! It used to be great or atleast a lot better than this :smile:
  • Cropulus
    259 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    alienstout wrote: »
    Cropulus wrote: »

Well because PC is a much more open environment with a lot more variables they cannot control.

Okay, fair point. However, nothing can be recreated that would prove helpful in this dicussion, even if it is for future releases?

I must admit that playing on console, tes I have BFV on console and PV, feels kind of satisfying and safe.
This discussion has been closed.