Which CPU to buy ,...

elasticShadow
9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
edited February 7
I've been thinking about which CPU to buy now for weeks. I can't decide which one to get.
I want a CPU that can be used for at least the next 4-5 + years.

-i7 9700K -- and the new i7 does not have hyper threading.''wtf''
-i7 8700K
-Ryzen 2700x Or should I wait for new Ryzen-?

I play games at 1440p...
The reason for my PC upgrade is because my current CPU finally showing its Age -i5 2500K
I play Battlefield games a lot. So I really want this to be a smooth experience. Other than gaming I do --yutube ,,web surfing.

Comments

• Titan_Awaken
    300 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Preferably something with more (or at the very minimum) 4 cores and 8 threads.

I'm not familiar with Ryzen/AMD CPUs so I can't comment on them but between the 8700K and 9700K, pick the 8700K definitely.
  • tamatem13
    133 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    i'd also look into DDR4 RAMs...those do along with a new Processor make a difference.
  • cso7777
    886 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 7
    We are very close to the next Ryzen. I have a Ryzen 2700x and it plays BF1 (and BFV) perfectly well and I've had no stability issues or problems of any kind. It's just as stable as my old I7-2700K.

If AMD can up performance by 20-25% or so with the next Ryzen, it will be very competitive compared to Intel and perhaps better 'bang for the buck'.

So I would wait and see what happens in the upcoming months.

But if you must buy now, then buy with the highest number of cores (and of course highest possible clock-speed). AMD/Intel is competing on number of cores and that could change gaming and make games more demanding in the future. The next generation of consoles will probably also have more cores in their CPU which will make gaming even more demanding.
  • elasticShadow
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited February 8
    but between the 8700K and 9700K, pick the 8700K definitely.

Why 8700K..?
    Gaming comparisons with good GPUs show the 9700K faster than the 8700K at pretty much all games, even at stock speeds, but very minimal improvement in games like 1 to 10 frames max.

• Titan_Awaken
    300 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    but between the 8700K and 9700K, pick the 8700K definitely.

Why 8700K..?
    Gaming comparisons with good GPUs show the 9700K faster than the 8700K at pretty much all games, even at stock speeds, but very minimal improvement in games like 1 to 10 frames max.

Call it a nitpick or whatever but I'm personally not a fan of the 1:1 core/thread ratio. I personally prefer a 1:2 ratio but whatever if you like it, who am I to say no? You do you.
  • BigF33t_13
    6555 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited February 8
    Just look at the bf benchmarks for each cpu, weigh it along with whatever gpu you have, and buy the best you can afford. Don't ask people here. you'll get 100 different answers and a lot of misinformation.
  • elasticShadow
    edited February 8
    We've also performed some CPU core scaling, and the results are very interesting. Four cores with no SMT/HT performs worst. However, the most interesting observation is that when we disabled hyperthreading in a 6 or 8 core configuration, the performance overall increased substantially in the CPU bound resolutions for the RTX 2080 Ti.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.png

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/battlefield-v-pc-performance-benchmarks,4.html

9700K 8/8 or 8700K 6/12 ,,,huuuhhhh really difficult choice..
    Price is the same in my country
  • BigF33t_13
    6555 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited February 8
    That's a pretty well known result. Anything with 6+ cores/threads works fine. My stupid fx6300 performs better than 4 core i5's.
  • Mikex2112
    1001 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    What Bigf33t said.....Dont ask about hardware in a gaming forum....Especially here.Most cant even run bf3/bf4/bf1/bf5 properly on their own rigs let alone give out hardware advice.
    Unless you're a enthusiast,you dont need the latest and greatest to enjoy gaming...Wait for the new Ryzen CPU's,thats what I would do.
  • henbaoqian
    69 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited February 9
    I have ryzen 1600 + gtx1070 and it runs 115 fps on 1440p monitor (graph is on medium, zero difference with ultra). Buy socket, not CPU. Ryzen will be great for BF1 and probably for next 3 or 4 years to come. Unless you want to use some crazy resolutions, RTX or other nonsense.
  • IIPrest0nII
    1204 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    I've moved the topic to Off-topic section.