A sad Hypothesis: Firestorm will fail because of Apex Legends

xeNizKing
277 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited February 8
Lets be realistic here people,

With the release of Apex Legends on an already over saturated market for a specific genre (though I am loathed to call it a genre as its a mode, its not even really a game) and Apex has found quite a lot of early approval so far which is surprising, this means that firestorm would need to be fundamentally ground breaking in order to actually gain any traction in the industry - it would also need to draw in players from other battle royale games. With the still rather high Fortnite player count, combined with PUBG and a few others and now Apex Legends, I seriously doubt that it will be successful at least in terms of what the industry deems successful (not us) and will ultimately not get nearly as much resource support from EA that it will likely need to continue on beyond a year.

The simple fact is, when it comes to this kind of mode - The general draw of a successful game is that the game is aesthetically pleasing for both kids and adults alike, this leads to a more unified set of demographics and thus more money. With the way Battlefield 5 has been done, its safe to say that Firestorm will take a similar route as the current game in terms of weapon balance and TTK as they will want to streamline it so the transition for current BF5 players is near seemless (This is of course an assumption so I could be wrong) - which frankly....a great deal of people dislike...make no mistake, a lot of people can pretend that the lack of battlefield sales is down to the dont like it dont buy it crap or they can talk about authenticity but people are remarkably impulsive and thus if the gameplay and feature and gunplay were far better and felt much better and being killed didn't almost feel like you were cheated, then we would have a much larger community and this game would be growing (Yeah I know we need more maps but if the gameplay was more enjoyable people wouldn't lose patience as fast). Firestorm will likely have a half decent sized player base and a few other positives but it likely wont be enough. People will not want to play two completely different games as they will want to remain good at the one they already started, in this instance; Apex.

I hated saying all that but I feel it needs to be said - whether you guys were excited for it or not....tell me - am I wrong here?

I seriously cannot see it being successful with the current state of things.

Comments

• xeNizKing
    277 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 8
    And nothing of value will be lost. Battlefield doesn't really need BR mode. They did a right choice to release standalone Apex game though.

True enough. But there are other implications for its failure as well.

Battlefield 5 is......well its treading on thing Ice with its playerbase currently.. if Firestorm were to be successful, EA may be more inclined to give some more resources to BF5 as well as more people would likely get interested in BF5 as a lot of people have forgotten about the game as well - if Firestorm isn't successful we could see a massive reduction in additions to the game beyond march (admittedly though the roadmap is not indicative of "nothing coming" after the roadmap ends).
  • xeNizKing
    The BFV disaster didn't even need competition in the form of Apex Legends to die off. It's already dying a miserable, well deserved death with its low content, buggy, hack infested boring maps. No RSP, no hardcore, absolutely pathetic. It cannot die soon enough and take EA right along with it.

Looking forward to another huge disaster with Anthem!

heh fair enough, I tend to agree that the BF5 has been a disaster...it can be fun with friends but a lot of people don't always have friends on to play with and constantly relying on random people for almost everything is more of a chore than fun. Balance is terrible, lack of RSP ruins the potential for the game and they still haven't patched out the nvidia inspector crap.
  • ProAssassin2003
    2873 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The problem with Firestorm is it won't feel unique. It will basically be like playing Conquest but with a Fire Wall.

I will definitely try it.
  • xeNizKing
    It's almost like EA has a history of shooting themselves in the foot by releasing 2 games of the same genre back to back and forcing them to compete with each other.

Yup, its bassically titanfall 2 launch in reverse (though that was more the developers fault as it was their idea to directly compete with CoD and EA didn't want to miss their fourth quater drop).
  • xeNizKing
    edited February 8
    The problem with Firestorm is it won't feel unique. It will basically be like playing Conquest but with a Fire Wall.

Yep, I will be trying it as well with my friends - something that has me somewhat confused is how tanks are even going to fit into it really....they're not even powerful enough to take out toilet paper currently let alone a 4 man squad or they could be absurdly powerful....... either option is bad.
  • warslag
    1176 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Poor old Battlefield.

Battlefield we come back one day and be champion again.
  • rockin_master
    355 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 8
    It's almost like EA has a history of shooting themselves in the foot by releasing 2 games of the same genre back to back and forcing them to compete with each other.

They do it to developers to put them on shaky so they can buy them up afterwards. EA was able to buy Respawn because of it's lackluster sales of TitanFall 2. Those poor sales were directly due to EA's purposeful lack of marketing and poorly timed release.

The complete blackout on Firestorm is something to be truly suspicious of. If EA had something tangible to show to investors it seems it would have happened by now.
  • xeNizKing

They do it to developers to put them on shaky so they can buy them up afterwards. EA was able to buy Respawn because of it's lackluster sales of TitanFall 2. Those poor sales were directly due to EA's purposeful lack of marketing and poorly timed release.

This is true, I think the developers should of just waited though as the decision rested with them for TF2s release window. Their choice to compete with CoD imo in the most profitable quater for all companies especially CoD was a disasterous opinion, EA isn't without fault at all they definitely tried to make sure BF1 got ahead of everyone and did it in a very underhanded way but it needs to be acknowledged whos at fault for what instead of a pure hate train. A lot of the time its EA. Sometimes however developer studios make horrid decisions.
  • LordWorgull
    37 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Didnt they allready admit that timing isnt thier thing ?

BFV releasedate , competitors , sales not as expected ?
  • Kayback
    202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Well as I can't install APEX past the 38% mark with the C++ 2012 error I'll never know
  • ProAssassin2003
    2873 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    xeNizKing wrote: »

Yep, I will be trying it as well with my friends - something that has me somewhat confused is how tanks are even going to fit into it really....they're not even powerful enough to take out toilet paper currently let alone a 4 man squad or they could be absurdly powerful....... either option is bad.

This is why I think Tanks are so weak they was designed for Firestorm.
  • parkingbrake
    2173 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The BFV disaster didn't even need competition in the form of Apex Legends to die off. It's already dying a miserable, well deserved death with its low content, buggy, hack infested boring maps. No RSP, no hardcore, absolutely pathetic. It cannot die soon enough and take EA right along with it.

Looking forward to another huge disaster with Anthem! EA deserves nothing less and not a single dime more from any current gamer.

It is the 'roids talking?
  • craigerswuzhere
    88 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    In my opinion, EA should have finished 1 Battle Royale mode first (the one for BFV) that they mentioned at E3 last year, before finishing and releasing another BR mode (Apex) that was unannounced. I agree with you that it will need to be something special to get decent player counts, even after they get desperate and sell it for 50% off again next month.
  • On-Swift-Wings
    304 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Essentially
    y1f2jycmgaf21.png
  • rockin_master
    355 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    xeNizKing wrote: »

This is true, I think the developers should of just waited though as the decision rested with them for TF2s release window. Their choice to compete with CoD imo in the most profitable quater for all companies especially CoD was a disasterous opinion, EA isn't without fault at all they definitely tried to make sure BF1 got ahead of everyone and did it in a very underhanded way but it needs to be acknowledged whos at fault for what instead of a pure hate train. A lot of the time its EA. Sometimes however developer studios make horrid decisions.

Do you really believe Respawn doesn't understand release windows? One of the most experienced filled developers on the planet? Do you know who the the founding members of Respawn are?

Respawn didn't go to EA and ask for their relatively unknown IP to be released next to the #1 & #2 best selling IP's in the
    same genre. It didn't happen that way and it's well known it didn't happen that way.

EA hamstrung Respawn after the developer had exhausted it's resources developing it's last title. They have a long, well known, well documented history of doing this. So do other large corporations such as Activision. It's why they are so destructive to the gaming industry. It has an overall stifling effect on all gaming.

Respawn didn't blindly fall off a cliff due to a complete lack of common sense. They were corralled and pushed.
  • MonicasCigar
    112 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    warslag wrote: »
    Poor old Battlefield.

Battlefield we come back one day and be champion again.

yes, but only if EA gives it away to some other company.
    they've already killed the star wars series.
    thanks disney!