Weekly BF

Does Apex Legends pose a threat to BFV?

mav_smileyface
1313 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
I Ask because I hated the BR genre until I played this games, now I cannot put it down.

On top of that AL is EAs saving grace after the PR disaster of BFV, Any cash they lost here they’ve already tripled it in AL

Are EA really going to show anymore love to this gam? Particularly as it’s making them 0 money..

The firestorm BR mode is going to have to turn water into wine to compete with AL

I do fear for this game

Comments

• mav_smileyface
    1313 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I do love BFV but AL is real crisp
  • MidriffUrchin0
    116 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    I don't think it's cause for concern, Apex along with bfv is just part of EA's portfolio of games. They're not competing. Bfv, while it didn't hit expected targets, still profitable - absolutely not true it hasn't made any money - just not as much as the company expected.
    Its like an investor would not have all his eggs in one basket and trade forex, they'd have bonds, stocks etc to on a whole make them profitable, same with EA as a company.
    Now, the problem is we don't know how much additional content like maps etc costs to make and how far the lower sales would stretch to budget that and to make it justified.
    I think most people buy bfv for its traditional modes, I don't think firestorm was ever going to pull in droves of BR players anyway, despite whether apex was released or not.
  • G-Gnu
    1442 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 9
    Another EA master stroke. Blame the bad sales of BF5 on putting in single player instead of battle royale, then bring out a good battle royale game before releasing battle royale mode on BF5.

So, design the new BF for a community minority, release it way too early with a load of bugs, missing stuff and weird design choices, then make one of its big selling points obsolete before it even gets completed.

I'm wondering now whether it was their strategy all along to kill the franchise in favour of something else? What can their strategy be?

Would it not have been better to just not do BFV then, if you want something else then put the money on something else instead of doing a halfbreed that really do not appeal to no one ?
    I think they really do not understand their consumers and in the same time try to squeeze out as much as possible but utterly fails in the same go.
  • Bundesfinanzamt
    58 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    yes it does. i moved from badfield to apex recently. No insta deaths when playing apex. a very pleasant experience.
  • Loqtrall
    12058 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I don't see how it's a threat to BF. It's not as if it will turn every BF fan into a BR fan, nor has its launch impacted the ability to play BFV (still plenty of populated servers on my platform at all times of day).

If anyone thinks a bad year will cause EA to suddenly drop thier most popular AAA shooter franchise, they should take a look at Infinite Warfare. It was a widely disliked game that earned a spot as the 2nd most disliked video in the history of YouTube for a while, it sold less than many, many CoD games before it and its reception sent Activision stock down the tubes - but it didn't mean the end of CoD just because it's competitors were doing better, that same year BF1 released and became one of the best selling BF titles. Despite all that infinite Warfare still got all its promised content and still had a full cod life cycle.

If DICE and the BF Franchise survived through the horrid failure of a launch that was BF4, a popular BR isn't going to do anything. Last I checked BF5 didn't die off because fortnite exists, it's not going to die off and be abandoned by the devs because another, totally separate game released and is popular.

Don't get me wrong, I've played the hell out of Apex since it's release, have 6 wins and nearly 150 kills with one Legend (wraith main ftw), but it does not replace the sort of shooter experience I get from BF. It's the new, fun thing, but it's not a BF alternative in my eyes.
  • G-Gnu
    1442 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Loqtrall wrote: »
    I don't see how it's a threat to BF. It's not as if it will turn every BF fan into a BR fan, nor has its launch impacted the ability to play BFV (still plenty of populated servers on my platform at all times of day).

If anyone thinks a bad year will cause EA to suddenly drop thier most popular AAA shooter franchise, they should take a look at Infinite Warfare. It was a widely disliked game that earned a spot as the 2nd most disliked video in the history of YouTube for a while, it sold less than many, many CoD games before it and its reception sent Activision stock down the tubes - but it didn't mean the end of CoD just because it's competitors were doing better, that same year BF1 released and became one of the best selling BF titles. Despite all that infinite Warfare still got all its promised content and still had a full cod life cycle.

If DICE and the BF Franchise survived through the horrid failure of a launch that was BF4, a popular BR isn't going to do anything. Last I checked BF5 didn't die off because fortnite exists, it's not going to die off and be abandoned by the devs because another, totally separate game released and is popular.

Don't get me wrong, I've played the hell out of Apex since it's release, have 6 wins and nearly 150 kills with one Legend (wraith main ftw), but it does not replace the sort of shooter experience I get from BF. It's the new, fun thing, but it's not a BF alternative in my eyes.

Even if not all players will go on to Apex it will still be a drop which might get ppl to reconsider investing time and money in to this iteration.
    BF1 sold gold but retained kind of small playerbase of those sold copies, BFV sold less then EA expected and probably a lot of those copies was sold on a sale and seems to not retain the playerbase from that number (though hard to tell because EA removed the way of tracking player numbers).
    Which means less revenue for the game and less headroom for new content, if Firestorm is expected to bring more sales and players back it just got a what it seems a fun and functional competitor.
    And EA is not know for throwing money in to a what they feel fail project, so who know what will come out of this.
  • Loqtrall
    12058 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    G-Gnu wrote: »
    Even if not all players will go on to Apex it will still be a drop which might get ppl to reconsider investing time and money in to this iteration.
    BF1 sold gold but retained kind of small playerbase of those sold copies, BFV sold less then EA expected and probably a lot of those copies was sold on a sale and seems to not retain the playerbase from that number (though hard to tell because EA removed the way of tracking player numbers).
    Which means less revenue for the game and less headroom for new content, if Firestorm is expected to bring more sales and players back it just got a what it seems a fun and functional competitor.
    And EA is not know for throwing money in to a what they feel fail project, so who know what will come out of this.

I would bet money right now that it means nothing as far as the development of BF5 and the BF franchise is concerned. Like I said, if EA and DICE can get past the launch of bf4 and SWBF2, they can get past anything. BF4 was not one of the best selling BF games at launch, it was immensely broken for upward of half a year after its release and saw immense player drop-off in its first 6 months. It had issues like thousands upon thousands of players not even able to play a specific map (dawn breaker) because the game would freeze on its loading screen every time it came up in rotation, it had hard crashes, it had server crashes every time a levolution event happened, it had terrible netcode issues, and probably the worst headglitching issues we've seen in a BF game to date that prompted a change to the entire mechanic pertaining to how bullets are fired from the player model.

5 years later and it's now revered as one of the best BF games in the franchise and is constantly talked about in a positive light in comparison to the 2 most recent BF titles.

There's no reason EA would abandon BF5 for not meeting its sales expectations - they gave the objectively worst received and most broken BF title at launch THREE YEARS of post launch funding, the longest span of time between two dice BF titles in the history of the franchise. I don't see them throwing BF5 in the trash just because they have a popular BR now, and I don't see BF5 dying off because now there's anotjher BR game to play.

Like I said, imo Apex is not an alternative to the type of shooter BF is, nor is any other BR. If BRs were a threat to the playerbase of fps games, it'd be a threat to every fps game, not just BF.

Now whether Firestorm lives up to Apex's standard is all up to Criterion, not DICE. Again, I don't see how thier work on an entirely separate game mode has anything to do with BF5 as a whole. It's not as if firestorm launching to an unpopular reception means DICE failed and BF5 is dead now. It means nobody will be playing Firestorm over thier current favorite or preferred BR, and nothing else.

I hardly expect the BF fanbase to abandon this franchise because Respawn released a good BR and the BF BR isn't good.
  • G-Gnu

I would bet money right now that it means nothing as far as the development of BF5 and the BF franchise is concerned. Like I said, if EA and DICE can get past the launch of bf4 and SWBF2, they can get past anything. BF4 was not one of the best selling BF games at launch, it was immensely broken for upward of half a year after its release and saw immense player drop-off in its first 6 months. It had issues like thousands upon thousands of players not even able to play a specific map (dawn breaker) because the game would freeze on its loading screen every time it came up in rotation, it had hard crashes, it had server crashes every time a levolution event happened, it had terrible netcode issues, and probably the worst headglitching issues we've seen in a BF game to date that prompted a change to the entire mechanic pertaining to how bullets are fired from the player model.

5 years later and it's now revered as one of the best BF games in the franchise and is constantly talked about in a positive light in comparison to the 2 most recent BF titles.

There's no reason EA would abandon BF5 for not meeting its sales expectations - they gave the objectively worst received and most broken BF title at launch THREE YEARS of post launch funding, the longest span of time between two dice BF titles in the history of the franchise. I don't see them throwing BF5 in the trash just because they have a popular BR now, and I don't see BF5 dying off because now there's anotjher BR game to play.

Like I said, imo Apex is not an alternative to the type of shooter BF is, nor is any other BR. If BRs were a threat to the playerbase of fps games, it'd be a threat to every fps game, not just BF.

Now whether Firestorm lives up to Apex's standard is all up to Criterion, not DICE. Again, I don't see how thier work on an entirely separate game mode has anything to do with BF5 as a whole. It's not as if firestorm launching to an unpopular reception means DICE failed and BF5 is dead now. It means nobody will be playing Firestorm over thier current favorite or preferred BR, and nothing else.

I hardly expect the BF fanbase to abandon this franchise because Respawn released a good BR and the BF BR isn't good.

Difference is that BF4 had premium and BFV is a live service, with the former they had obligations to at least release the stuff that was promised , the latter no obligations at all.
    I was not saying that BFV will die because of APEX but it will pick some of the player attention towards another game and so far BFV has not brought any thing to the table to bring in new blood in to the game.
    Patches are fine and dandy , but a lot of those "fixes" should have been "fixed" before retail, not 2 months later.
    And i do not know if SWBF2 ever got through anything , new content for that game is rather sparse yet.
    As for abandon BFV that is a matter of opinion, they may continue to polish the game and release some content, but how much content we do not know, there is no real extended road map and that is again because of the live service, they do not want to promise anything.
  • Loqtrall

Difference is that BF4 had premium and BFV is a live service, with the former they had obligations to at least release the stuff that was promised , the latter no obligations at all.
    I was not saying that BFV will die because of APEX but it will pick some of the player attention towards another game and so far BFV has not brought any thing to the table to bring in new blood in to the game.
    Patches are fine and dandy , but a lot of those "fixes" should have been "fixed" before retail, not 2 months later.
    And i do not know if SWBF2 ever got through anything , new content for that game is rather sparse yet.
    As for abandon BFV that is a matter of opinion, they may continue to polish the game and release some content, but how much content we do not know, there is no real extended road map and that is again because of the live service, they do not want to promise anything.

Lol again, BF4 got funding and support for years after its last planned premium dlc dropped. Final stand was released a year after BF4s launch, whereas DICE went on to continue developing free content for another 2 years before bf1 was announced. If EA would continue supporting that tragic slap-in-the-face release, I don't see how they'd reign in support and funding just because now they have a popular BR game.

They supported BF4 for years despite its blatant failures, and are still supporting and funding development for SWBF2 even though it was not well received at all and has lost a SIGNIFICANT portion of its active playerbase since launch. I don't see how a f2p BR game will change EA's stance on supporting DICE and thier endeavors.

Usually when EA nix support for a title and trash entire studios, it's BEFORE the game they're currently developing is released and poorly received. When Visceral was shut down, it was because EA evaluated thier singleplayer star wars game in pre alpha stages, didn't like it, and didn't think it would be well received in terms of what gamers mostly look to play in this day and age (visceral's sw game seemed to be a linear singleplayer campaign and nothing else), and thus shut the studio down after their most recent title, BF Hardline, was one of the worst selling BF games of all time and had all but flat out died on every platform.

BF5 is still alive and well, it still turned a profit despite not meeting EA's expectations in terms of sales. I don't see it going anywhere, especially considering the next BF title is all but confirmed to already be in development and set to release in 2020.

I think, imo, that the worst thing that happened to the BF franchise is attempting or expecting to make it one of the most popular and most played shooters on the market. Not every fps game out there can be the most played or most popular, and generally BFs concept has always been less popularly received in comparison to its competitors like CoD, Halo, etc.

Imo it's time to stop this inane expectation for BF to be the biggest and the most popular shooter out there. It never really has been, it's never been a game to retain 1 million concurrent players, or to retain the bulk of its playerbase a year after launch. But that doesn't mean that BF is in danger, or that competition is a threat to it. There are still millions of BF players out there, servers are still populated.

We got this same "I fear for the future of BF" spiel when BF4 and BF1s player numbers started dropping significantly after launch. What do you know, nothing happened.
  • bigiain
    304 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    EA didn't have a Battle Royale and see other publishers raking in millions in cash from the mode. They're already making BFV as a WW2 game, because it lets them reuse a lot of BF1 assets. They panic and shove a BR mode into BFV, including a lot of weird customisation that doesn't fit easily into WW2. At the same time they have Respawn start work on a F2P BR game.

When they reveal BFV, there are angry meltdowns because of the customisation. The attempts to talk their way out of this makes things worse, sales aren't great at the end of the financial year. Respawn's game is ready and is great, they should wait to release it, but the share price is down because of the BFV sales and they need some positive news now.

Success for Respawn, but I'm not sure the effect on BFV will be too bad. The people who didn't buy BFV because of the reveal aren't going to be tempted back by a BR mode. Millions of people weren't going to buy BFV because of a new mode anyway.
  • G-Gnu

Lol again, BF4 got funding and support for years after its last planned premium dlc dropped. Final stand was released a year after BF4s launch, whereas DICE went on to continue developing free content for another 2 years before bf1 was announced. If EA would continue supporting that tragic slap-in-the-face release, I don't see how they'd reign in support and funding just because now they have a popular BR game.

They supported BF4 for years despite its blatant failures, and are still supporting and funding development for SWBF2 even though it was not well received at all and has lost a SIGNIFICANT portion of its active playerbase since launch. I don't see how a f2p BR game will change EA's stance on supporting DICE and thier endeavors.

Usually when EA nix support for a title and trash entire studios, it's BEFORE the game they're currently developing is released and poorly received. When Visceral was shut down, it was because EA evaluated thier singleplayer star wars game in pre alpha stages, didn't like it, and didn't think it would be well received in terms of what gamers mostly look to play in this day and age (visceral's sw game seemed to be a linear singleplayer campaign and nothing else), and thus shut the studio down after their most recent title, BF Hardline, was one of the worst selling BF games of all time and had all but flat out died on every platform.

BF5 is still alive and well, it still turned a profit despite not meeting EA's expectations in terms of sales. I don't see it going anywhere, especially considering the next BF title is all but confirmed to already be in development and set to release in 2020.

I think, imo, that the worst thing that happened to the BF franchise is attempting or expecting to make it one of the most popular and most played shooters on the market. Not every fps game out there can be the most played or most popular, and generally BFs concept has always been less popularly received in comparison to its competitors like CoD, Halo, etc.

Imo it's time to stop this inane expectation for BF to be the biggest and the most popular shooter out there. It never really has been, it's never been a game to retain 1 million concurrent players, or to retain the bulk of its playerbase a year after launch. But that doesn't mean that BF is in danger, or that competition is a threat to it. There are still millions of BF players out there, servers are still populated.

We got this same "I fear for the future of BF" spiel when BF4 and BF1s player numbers started dropping significantly after launch. What do you know, nothing happened.

I had no fear for the making of upcoming iterations , but what i feared was the player attentions for the that new upcoming game, because of the live service.
    Though they might not just stop supporting the game, still making new content and how fast ,will be depended on how much revenues it gets, that is the core of LIVE SERVICE.
    And if we go back to OP post, APEX will at least be a threat to Firestorm and if that will bring down or not we will see in the future, what APEX might do to BFV and Firestorm is to steer ppl away that might buy BFV because of just Firestorm. Though that might not be that much ppl.
    It´s hard to say if BFV has turned in to profit , we really do not know how much revenues the game got in relation to how much the development cost and other stuff is.
  • Radious1987
    511 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Who knows, if majority of todays players want only BR and do not need anything else, no objective play etc then yes.

I am not interested in any BR game, will never play them, for me these are totaly empty games.
  • von_Campenstein
    6571 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    It's high fantasy, I played BF for the somewhat authentic representation so it's not really a threat as long as EA doesn't push BF into the realm of high fantasy.
  • BFB-LeCharybdis
    857 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    No I don't think AL is a threat to driving players away from BFV. BFV is apparently doing a fine job driving players away on it's own.

I do think it would be a good idea to release FireStorm as a free to play game though. Bring in the BR crowd and get them buying skins, some tasteful Axis dance routines and funnel the money into further content and improvements to BFV as the ToW goes on.

• von_Campenstein
    6571 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    No I don't think AL is a threat to driving players away from BFV. BFV is apparently doing a fine job driving players away on it's own.

I do think it would be a good idea to release FireStorm as a free to play game though. Bring in the BR crowd and get them buying skins, some tasteful Axis dance routines and funnel the money into further content and improvements to BFV as the ToW goes on.

Nothing says I owned you more than goose stepping on someones corpse.
  • SaikoKuno
    28 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Doubt it. Battlefield V is going to have its own Battle Royale mode anyway if the announcement made by Jorgenson about Firestorm is anything to go by.
  • MidriffUrchin0
    116 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited February 9
    Apex is direct competition to the BR genre and is going to take players away from other BR games such as fortnite and blackout, not bfv. Players bought bfv for full scale battle modes like conquest and operations.