I can't get better at this game and I'm not sure what to do next...

moose004
79 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
I've been playing games in the BF franchise since BF4 (I went back and got BF3 later on sale). I've never been what you'd call a "good" player...a TEAM player, yes. I can sling health and ammo and revives with the best of them, and I always play the objective as much as I can. But in terms of the whole shooting-mans things, not so much. I'm kinda oldish (52), my reflexes have never been great, I'm congenitally incapable of sitting back and sniping, so I die a lot. My k/d in BF4 and BF1 is, if I remember right, around 0.65ish in both. In both games, I started off truly awful but then gradually got better.

BFV is not going that way for me.

After 73 hours of actual playtime, my k/d is 0.47. And it's going DOWN. What's worse is how it happens. I get stuck into these ruts in BFV, worse than any other shooter I've ever played (500+ hours in BF4 and BF1, and a lot of Planetside 2 back in the day) where I just die and die and die. Six, eight, ten straight. It doesn't matter what I do. I move, I get shot. I stay put, I get shot. I hole up and wait, I get shot. There's ten of us crossing a field, I'm the one that eats the bomb from the Stuka. I push forward, I get shot. I hang back, I don't contribute to the team and then I get shot. I snipe, I get instantly counter-shot. And it doesn't help that my aim is not tremendously good...OK, it's mostly rancid. Improving a bit, but still potato. I have a fairly small desk area to work with so I can't do a lot in terms of turning my sensitivity down (I run 1800 dpi, 20% sensitivity, uniform aiming ON @ 133% default).

Doesn't seem to matter what class I play or what gun I use. I can start off doing pretty well--which for me is just going positive and my team winning, that's it--and then my gameplay turns into a Final Destination movie and I end up 8-19 and we lose. If I play with my outfit, which are a great bunch of guys, I can get wins. Those guys are amazing. And they put up with me. But my individual performance is still garbage unless I do something like go medic and turn into a human medpouch. And if that's what we need, I'll do it. But it's not *all* I want to do in BF. And if I solo queue, you can only imagine, with the "matchmaking" the way it is and my stats, what kind of teams I get stuck in. I don't know why BFV is stomping me so much harder than the other BF games did. But it seems to be.

I don't want to be Ravic. I just want to not feel like putting my fist through my monitor after every game.

I'm not griping at DICE, because I really like BFV and that's the frustrating bit. It sucks to suck at something you like to do. Particularly when improvement seems not to be happening. I guess I just needed to rant a little bit and see if anyone had any advice other than trying Hello Kitty Online (is that even still around?). Thanks.

Comments

• thebossman2202
    358 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Try playing medic and focus on being the teamplayer. I know not getting kills suck. But I rather not get kills and instead support my team
  • mikebostonmike
    92 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Watch good players play. See what is working for them. Study their tactics. If something's not working for you repeatedly, keep trying different tactics. I do agree that this is the most frustrating of the BF games I've played though. And I'm not great... 1.42 k/d, but kind of a low SPM that is slowly increasing. Try the smaller player count modes to hone up on skills, so you aren't constantly bombarded from all sides in a 64 players server.
  • Moorlander
    69 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    BFV is basically run and gun assault stuff and frankly you probably don't have the reflexes at 50 plus. I think I can say that because I am 61 and I don't either. I tend to do best KD wise with an MMG on team deathmatch but nerfs don't particularly help in that regard. I've mainly gone back to BF1 where the balance is better. That said KD doesn't mean a lot really in either V or 1. It's infuriating in either mode, to see people camping in tanks to farm kills to boost their precious KD, just so they can quietly boast their KD and feel superior. The game isn't about a good KD really, it doesn't make you a 'good' player. It's about enjoying yourself, and of course winning helps. What doesn't help is muppets camping in tanks etc boosting their KD, whilst they feel quietly superior to you and your lowly KD; due to your attempting to PTFO, win the game, and enjoy yourself.

• Major_Pungspark
    1348 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Try to think about how you move, play the odds, try to fight more from cover, try to stay in cover when moving, keep in the shadows a lot both when moving around and when stopping, try to keep your back clear, try to keep track of where your team is and what you should cover.

As an example dont run over open ground if you can go under some trees and bushes, or pick fights against snipers at range, try to look where you put your feet down so you see the double AP mines (They will be in buildings where people move around and in obvious paths where people allways move.). If you move along a street do run in the middle, but also keep a bit from the wall so you dont get splashed so easily by the noobtubers.
  • GeneralXIV
    158 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Im a newcomer to the Battlefield series and even though Im only 29, I think my problem is the same. Its probably my inexperience and bad aim that are giving me the results Im receiving, but it feels that Im playing a harder game than other people Im sharing a server with. I struggle to get better at the game because... well, I dont have chance to get better with the amount I die and how easy it is to kill me. My skill level has been basically the same since the beta... though I think, looking at the stat tracker, my ratio thing might have increased by 0.01% from the beginning. Yay me?
  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6
    1369 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    It's just a real tough game guys, and seemingly hardcore damage and the like. It's not at all like past BFs, but more like a tactical hardcore shooter. It's not for everybody, and not even for me. But maybe they'll come out with some other game modes that would make it more playable.
  • Quasar9111
    170 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    im also not great at the game but i try to support my team where i can with ammo and med packs - my issue is my deafness and not hearing anything does limit your capability of where things are happening - but i love it and i have fun, as long as you are having fun, couple of hours ago in a Frontline Devastation which was an hour, i think i did my best ever at 24-35 was happy with that - finally got a 20 kill in a round mission complete
  • FragbaitDax
    111 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hang in there, we'll get you through this slump! I'm also a *ahem* mature player and am gradually improving toward my goal of being average. Good is out of reach, great is a pipedream but average I think I can achieve.

This is my first BF online game though not my first shooter. It's brutal but I really love that. I can't out play most players so I need to out think them. I love analysis and continuous improvement so this game suits me well. Each death is an opportunity to learn and improve.

You need to be continuously out thinking your enemy here. If two of your team mates have just run over the same Hill and you follow exactly in their footsteps you're allowing the enemy to set up and prepare for you. Easy target. So always be unpredictable. Never look over or around the same piece of cover twice.

Don't panic. Easier said than done but you need to plan your tactical response then practice it till it's second nature. I lose encounters one on one when I panic and pull the trigger as fast as I can. Thinking more clearly I can aim better or in some cases swapping to pistol or melee is the solution.

There's a lot of good advice already above so I won't repeat it. My best advice is to carefully analyse why you died each time as that will gradually result in improvement.
  • moosehunter1969
    1108 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    My advice is simply to pretend it’s actually real and think how would you react if you were really in this situation.
    You wouldn’t run across open ground, you wouldn’t stand in the open, you wouldn’t charge into a group of people with guns.
    Or even better who cares about K/D it’s just a meaningless number at the end of the day.
  • Zenga
    162 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I totally sympathize with you. Yes, I'm 17 years younger but this is my first ever Battlefield game and actually a first time online shooter. I have now clocked in 270 hours and I have to say I saw a big improvement after the first 100 hours or so. You start noticing things, recognizing patterns, knowing generally what to expect where - it just happens naturally, nothing you can do other than suck it up and play. Also, sticking with same gun (or same 2-3) will definitively help. You will learn how they behave and where you can attack and when it's safer to retreat. There is nothing wrong with just spamming medic pouches and revives - sometimes these can be much more important than landing a kill. I spam ammo pouches pretty much non-stop. I'm in like top 3% on this. Having a focused medic can turn over the whole match.

But my biggest advice, and something that has helped me immensely - start recording every single one of your kills and deaths. You can set a keyboard shortcut and via Nvidia shadowplay record last 30 seconds of play. Spend some time checking out the videos. How you died, what you could've done to prevent it, where was the oponent, where was your aim etc. It can really help a lot in knowing how to play to your strengths.
  • craigerswuzhere
    103 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think a huge part of it is the playing solo vs playing with a squad. Like you said, you guys do good together and get wins. I think people seriously underestimate the value of playing on a good squad and sticking together. Now that squad mates can revive each other it's more important now than ever to stick together. If you're dying a lot, your squad mates can help with that by reviving you. Doing call outs, watching each other's backs, ganging up on tanks, everything is better with a squad. If you can't play with your friends, just make sure you are in a good squad.
    I saw someone with a good tip. Spectate a server, look for the top players and watch them. I started doing this and the only thing that stands out is the teamwork. Everyone seems to like to run and gun. I was surprised at the lack of campers, I thought they would be everywhere but most people seemed to be moving a lot. One of the keys will be figuring out when to run and when to lay low and gun. After capping point A, don't just run to point B, check your surroundings and crouch run to the closest cover point on the way to B, repeat to every cover point on the way to B. Check your mini map a lot for enemies. Keep your head up and stay strong.
  • dayglowfroggy
    315 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Using the fastest ttk weapons can help with slightly slower reactions.
    Thinking suami and Thompson for medic.
    1907sf or fg42.
    The recoil is bad for all of the above so not good choices past close to close medium range unless you are good at recoil control.

What type of sights are you using?

Some of the sights really get in the way or have tinted glass you might do better with iron sights.

I use the 3x alot to help me spot enemies I can call them out to my team if not actually shoot them.

Stg 44 with 3x scope and the right upgrades is my easy mode gun, does most things ok.

• Major_Pungspark
    1348 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I would say use high rof guns, I use:
    Suomi for medic with the ads tree, gets okay range and still great rof.
    Sturmgewehr 1-5 for assault, with ads tree
    Ke7 is still probably the best support gun, but havent played much support for a while just some random rounds.
    ZH-29 for sniper, well, two quick hits to the body to kill and a 3x scope. I really don´t do much "sniping" and the ZH with the 3x scope and flares I go to work with, and because of the two hit to the body I don´t need that headshot at range, so a 3x scope it is. On sniper heavy maps I usually play another class, because there are already 10-12 snipers on the team....lol...on Hamada I usually play medic...lol
  • SaikoKuno
    28 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Well your first problem is caring about your K/D. What does it matter? If the team wins you win. BF4 had the great thing where you could still be top of the board but have fewer kills all cause you were helping your team.

If you must be that guy who constantly wants kills, follow what every other post here says and move carefully, stick with weapons with a high rate of fire at closer ranges and sniping in BF 5 in my opinion is janky with the game's current state.
  • S_Markt
    71 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    SaikoKuno wrote: »
    Well your first problem is caring about your K/D. What does it matter?

alot. i think, the only gamemode where it doesnt matter is frontlines.

@topic
    do not run and gun. there are too many scrubs in this game lying somewhere with lmgs and the fast ttk is their easymode.

use enviroment. as assault you can kill enemies by destroying buildings. three piat bring down most of a building doing damage to everybody inside.

if you play on console, find your best controller adjustment.

hipfire in close combat. most of the time its much more effective.
    except semiautos.

as allways, learn the maps.
  • SaikoKuno
    28 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    S_Markt wrote: »
    SaikoKuno wrote: »
    Well your first problem is caring about your K/D. What does it matter?

alot. i think, the only gamemode where it doesnt matter is frontlines.

@topic
    do not run and gun. there are too many scrubs in this game lying somewhere with lmgs and the fast ttk is their easymode.

use enviroment. as assault you can kill enemies by destroying buildings. three piat bring down most of a building doing damage to everybody inside.

if you play on console, find your best controller adjustment.

hipfire in close combat. most of the time its much more effective.
    except semiautos.

as allways, learn the maps.

Why does K/D matter? I'm curious.
  • pwnedPewPew
    331 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    moose004 wrote: »
    I've been playing games in the BF franchise since BF4 (I went back and got BF3 later on sale). I've never been what you'd call a "good" player...a TEAM player, yes. I can sling health and ammo and revives with the best of them, and I always play the objective as much as I can. But in terms of the whole shooting-mans things, not so much. I'm kinda oldish (52), my reflexes have never been great, I'm congenitally incapable of sitting back and sniping, so I die a lot. My k/d in BF4 and BF1 is, if I remember right, around 0.65ish in both. In both games, I started off truly awful but then gradually got better.

BFV is not going that way for me.

After 73 hours of actual playtime, my k/d is 0.47. And it's going DOWN. What's worse is how it happens. I get stuck into these ruts in BFV, worse than any other shooter I've ever played (500+ hours in BF4 and BF1, and a lot of Planetside 2 back in the day) where I just die and die and die. Six, eight, ten straight. It doesn't matter what I do. I move, I get shot. I stay put, I get shot. I hole up and wait, I get shot. There's ten of us crossing a field, I'm the one that eats the bomb from the Stuka. I push forward, I get shot. I hang back, I don't contribute to the team and then I get shot. I snipe, I get instantly counter-shot. And it doesn't help that my aim is not tremendously good...OK, it's mostly rancid. Improving a bit, but still potato. I have a fairly small desk area to work with so I can't do a lot in terms of turning my sensitivity down (I run 1800 dpi, 20% sensitivity, uniform aiming ON @ 133% default).

Doesn't seem to matter what class I play or what gun I use. I can start off doing pretty well--which for me is just going positive and my team winning, that's it--and then my gameplay turns into a Final Destination movie and I end up 8-19 and we lose. If I play with my outfit, which are a great bunch of guys, I can get wins. Those guys are amazing. And they put up with me. But my individual performance is still garbage unless I do something like go medic and turn into a human medpouch. And if that's what we need, I'll do it. But it's not *all* I want to do in BF. And if I solo queue, you can only imagine, with the "matchmaking" the way it is and my stats, what kind of teams I get stuck in. I don't know why BFV is stomping me so much harder than the other BF games did. But it seems to be.

I don't want to be Ravic. I just want to not feel like putting my fist through my monitor after every game.

I'm not griping at DICE, because I really like BFV and that's the frustrating bit. It sucks to suck at something you like to do. Particularly when improvement seems not to be happening. I guess I just needed to rant a little bit and see if anyone had any advice other than trying Hello Kitty Online (is that even still around?). Thanks.

Im not sure if my Tipp will be helpfull,but I still stop playing this game and it works fine for me.
    Maybe there will be some changes in the next month and I´m going to try again..but at the moment this game is only frustrating.
  • MidriffUrchin0
    94 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    I'd say a lot is now psychological. Don't put pressure on yourself, don't look at K/D ratio often, all of this starts to eat into performance.
    I am not a great player, I'm probably bit older than a lot of current bf players. I have slowly got better at bfv, not to say I don't have bad moments but I feel l is key in this game.
    After a few bad rounds near the bottom, the 3 other clan members left my squad and formed their own.
    This must of brought out the competitive streak in me, I visualised beating those guys and finishing top before the round started.
    Guess what, finished 1st, not a great KD, but if I play support, build early in the round, dish out tons of ammo, grab points where u can. Mindset is a big part of it all too. , you can do it.
  • LinkZeppeloyd
    652 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    1800dpi and 20% sensitivity!!

Dude, 1100 dpi and 13% sensitivity. I just fixed your aiming problem.