This Week in Battlefield V

Account ban or hardware ban, that is the question.

IlCyKolI
3 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Wondering which way YOU think DICE needs to go to get control of the RAMPANT cheating BFV is seeing these last few weeks so we can improve on this awesome game and help the community.

Comments

• Crashpilot1001
    234 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Well, like you see here https://www.pcgamer.com/battlefield-4-anti-cheating-measures-detailed/ Sabina the anti-cheat administrator is crushing cheaters since sept 2014.....
    btw: Hardwareban is impossible because you can always sell your hardware and then someone innocent is accused.
  • TFBisquit
    1632 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think DICE should STEP it UP against THE cheaters!
    The rest is irrelevant.
  • Teebaroni
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's a real problem.
  • wingnut0070
    49 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 9

I'm sorry to be the one to break this to you, but, even in 2029 there will be cheaters in video games *gasp*.
    Post edited by IIPrest0nII on
  • IlCyKolI
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    There are ways to combat it, that's what we should be here to discuss. Not if cheaters exist, we already know they do.
  • skippylarue
    1004 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 9
    As long as the price of the game is high enough, an account ban is probably fine. There are only so many times someone will pay $30-$60 before the fun drains out of cheating.
    Post edited by skippylarue on
  • Pelliy
    2228 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Well, like you see here https://www.pcgamer.com/battlefield-4-anti-cheating-measures-detailed/ Sabina the anti-cheat administrator is crushing cheaters since sept 2014.....
    btw: Hardwareban is impossible because you can always sell your hardware and then someone innocent is accused.

It's easy to circumvent HW iD from what I've read as it's generated. You wouldn't even need to go through the lengths to do that.

They should still do it though. Account ban and HW ban to annoy and inconvenient the cheater
  • DigitalHype
    774 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Pelliy wrote: »

It's easy to circumvent HW iD from what I've read as it's generated. You wouldn't even need to go through the lengths to do that.

They should still do it though. Account ban and HW ban to annoy and inconvenient the cheater

Agreed 100%. They should do everything they can to make it more difficult. I can drive 150MPH down the highway. But, we still have speed limits and traffic police.

Do not let perfect be the enemy of good.
  • Wiiiggum
    11 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    If they hardware ban how can EA easily sell them a new Origin Premium account?
  • YourLocalPlumber
    2890 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    How about Origin wide IP ban. If some **** gets caught using cheats in one of Origin games get his IP blacklisted. This way, everyone whos using same network with this person gets banned from Origin.
  • SystemicProgress
    78 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    IP bans are simple and usually work well. Regardless of what gets implemented, hackers have to be banned.
  • Niick1402
    78 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 10
    IP bans dont work well, the hacker could have a dynamic ip adress wich makes an IP ban useless. If he has a static IP there's still easy ways to get around an IP ban. Blacklisting of their payment method is a beter way but then they'll probably just start paying with something like a paysafecard if they want a new account.
    Post edited by Niick1402 on
  • YourLocalPlumber
    2890 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Niick1402 wrote: »
    IP bans dont work well, the hacker could have a dynamic ip adress wich makes an IP ban useless. If he a static IP there's still easy ways to get around an IP ban. Blacklisting of their payment method is a beter way but then they'll probably just start paying with something like a paysafecard if they want a new account.

How sad you have to be to do dynamic IP or go to shop to buy another account in order to ruin people's day again. I understand cheating in a F2P game, but when you have to spend 30+ euros? WTF?
  • HellzWind
    29 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    If someone's giving out money for cheats that probably means that they've got the money to buy a new PC. Not to mention chances of people already owning multiple PC's.

Also hardware ban would decrease profits for the company..
  • LOLGotYerTags
    13057 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    IP bans dont work well, the hacker could have a dynamic ip adress wich makes an IP ban useless. If he a static IP there's still easy ways to get around an IP ban. Blacklisting of their payment method is a beter way but then they'll probably just start paying with something like a paysafecard if they want a new account.

How sad you have to be to do dynamic IP or go to shop to buy another account in order to ruin people's day again. I understand cheating in a F2P game, but when you have to spend 30+ euros? WTF?

Sometimes it's not even an option to have a dynamic IP.

Many ISP's default at dynamic ( my old ISP was like this in order to cut costs iirc ) and if you wanted a static address you'd have to request it, But many users didnt bother as the changing of IP address when dhcp was renewed usually happens very late at night ( between 12am and 2am ).

Obviously at that time of day most people are snug in bed so they'd be none the wiser.

So the argument that IP bans would work would be correct in theory, But if a user is using a vpn for example, that will mask their true IP address thus making the IP ban nullified.

Same goes for if they have a dynamic address, The ban would only be for that IP address and the user can just reset their router or power it down for 24 hours to force a resync and a new "line profile".
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    IP bans dont work well, the hacker could have a dynamic ip adress wich makes an IP ban useless. If he has a static IP there's still easy ways to get around an IP ban. Blacklisting of their payment method is a beter way but then they'll probably just start paying with something like a paysafecard if they want a new account.

Online retailers know in moments if they're going to ship you valuable merchandise in part by confirming that the shipping address and the billing address for your credit card are the same. That's an example of what gaming companies could do to confirm the ID of a game purchaser, and if that account is later banned for cheating that credit card cannot be used to buy another copy, and no other credit card with the same billing address can be used either. One company links game accounts to the buyer's phone number IIRC. Like everything else companies do to discourage cheaters, like IP or hardware bans, some folks will find ways around it. But that isn't a good reason not to do it, as every hurdle a company can put in front of hack users will thin the herd a bit more.

On the other hand, there's EA with its Game Time promotion back in BF4 which flooded Ranked serves with cheaters because GT gave them as many free accounts as they wanted, as soon as one account was banned they'd open another. After legit players screamed their heads off for awhile EA finally confined GT players to Official servers (which already tended to be sewers anyway) so cheating in Ranked servers returned to normal. That's an example of how breathtakingly clueless EA can be about cheating, clueless or indifferent, take your pick. Either way legit players get to deal with the cheaters while EA sends out press releases about combating cheating, gets stale, doesn't it.
  • TFBisquit
    1632 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 11
    HellzWind wrote: »
    If someone's giving out money for cheats that probably means that they've got the money to buy a new PC. Not to mention chances of people already owning multiple PC's.

Also hardware ban would decrease profits for the company..

I read somewhere it’s a monthly fee, between 5 and 10 bucks. Even your local newspaper boy can afford that.
  • Red_Label_Scotch
    1232 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    IlCyKolI wrote: »
    Wondering which way YOU think DICE needs to go to get control of the RAMPANT cheating BFV is seeing these last few weeks so we can improve on this awesome game and help the community.

The new game that is free to play has hacks that will also spoof your HWID.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    13057 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    IlCyKolI wrote: »

The new game that is free to play has hacks that will also spoof your HWID.

Sounds about right.

I've long since accepted that playing on PC has its pitfalls ( cheaters / compatibility issues / regular hardware upgrades ) but for me the benefits outweigh those.

Let's be honest here, I met my first ever cheater in multiplayer on the PC playing aliens vs predator ( from 1999 ) and I have met hundreds more since, regardless of the game played.

I'd like to see more done but let's face it, the ideas players are coming up with arent going to work.

Tie an account to a cc?
    Wont work, not everybody can get a cc due to either not being in work, or have bad credit which blacklist their name against credit reference agencies.

IP ban?
    Plenty of ways that can be circumvented including dynamic addresses, vpns and such.

ban HWID?
    Nice try but that can be bypassed by running spoofing software to change the HWID.

Tie an acc to a mobile phone number?
    You can change your phone number extremely easily, mobile phone? Buy a sim card... Hard line ( landline? ) contact provider and say you're getting lots of marketing calls and want a new number.. bam!!!

Literally the only thing that will work ( in my opinion ) is to get rid of origin access and origin access premiere, If a user has say.. 30 games on an account and they cheat in one game ( bfv for example ) The licences to ALL of the games on that account are revoked including the one they cheated on.

All of the games will be removed, regardless of whether or not they cheated in any of the others.

It would be a very hard line to take and one that could lose EA revenue but it would very likely also work to their advantage, As cheaters would be forced to play legit or face losing everything on their account.