A sad Hypothesis: Firestorm will fail because of Apex Legends

Comments

• _Fabio_FVB_
    10 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    already seeing less full servers on BFV after the release of APEX, I think it was the final nail in the coffin
  • PoppaPappo
    229 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    already seeing less full servers on BFV after the release of APEX, I think it was the final nail in the coffin

In which mode? The Frontlines servers have been constantly full.
  • ackers75
    2066 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Yep it’s what happens when you release a polished game that’s had a bit of care and attention paid to it!
  • parkingbrake
    2757 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Austacker wrote: »
    Battlefield 5 is just trash and the BR just won't save it.
    Are you still playing BFV?
  • Khronikos
    2145 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    BFV still has a chance to redeem itself somewhat, but people are very right for doubting it because there is no premium and EA has a bad past history with games like this.
  • Faylum
    419 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The people who play BR tend to be people who cannot breath through their noses. They are the type of people that fear laying back in the bath simply because they could suffocate. Mouth breathers will find firestorm amazing. Just you wait.
  • craigerswuzhere
    103 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I can already tell how a round of Firestorm could potentially go. Make it to the final 10 people or less in a match, get into a small circle safe zone close to the end, only to get shot by someone hiding in some corner that you could not see.
    Ya, that should steal all BR players from all current BR games out there with that much excitement. Good plan.
  • SumwhatKrazy
    553 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Apex legends is definitely more popular on my friends list than BFV. I wonder if that will last or not though?
  • warslag
    1259 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Twitch at the moment:

Apex Legends - 178,000 viewers

PUBG - 25,000

COD:BLOPS 4 - 6,000

Rainbow Six: Siege - 4,000

Farming Simulator 19 - 400

ARMA 3 - 300

BF:V - 286
  • TheyHaveScissors
    527 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think Firestorm will fail because of the easymode gunmechanics in BF5. There is no challenge, its all too shallow. It wont retain enough players.
  • Loqtrall
    12020 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I think Firestorm will fail because of the easymode gunmechanics in BF5. There is no challenge, its all too shallow. It wont retain enough players.

Lol well if you're comparing it to Apex, that game definitely has some easy mode guns. I can dump on a whole squad by myself with just a peacekeeper without even aiming down sights, no sweat.
  • LordVader666
    249 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The only way for Firestorm to compete against free is to be free itself and even then it’ll be an uphill struggle with the recent release and thus “hotness” and awareness of AL.

If they go down the route of just a game mode in BFV then I can’t see enough of a draw for new players in the existing market (especially with a new and current “fad” game released) It may draw back some players who bought BFV but stopped playing but I don’t think the numbers will be huge.

It’s potentially differentiator from existing games could be the destructibility/armoured vehicles/bullet penetration etc just like AL has differences from Fortnite and PUBG.

As I said the game would need to be released correctly and I just don’t see EA being capable. It needs to be a free standalone “game” that’s tied into BFV just like the Fortnite model all the existing BFV crowd can hope is that if it’s successful that some players may be tempted to try the base BF game and/or that it encourages EA to keep supporting the game though that’s a slim hope. Of course if by some miracle Firestorm took off the converse could happen and all resources are diverted into Firestorm.
  • LinkZeppeloyd
    649 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 10
    The only way for Firestorm to compete against free is to be free itself and even then it’ll be an uphill struggle with the recent release and thus “hotness” and awareness of AL.

If they go down the route of just a game mode in BFV then I can’t see enough of a draw for new players in the existing market (especially with a new and current “fad” game released) It may draw back some players who bought BFV but stopped playing but I don’t think the numbers will be huge.

It’s potentially differentiator from existing games could be the destructibility/armoured vehicles/bullet penetration etc just like AL has differences from Fortnite and PUBG.

As I said the game would need to be released correctly and I just don’t see EA being capable. It needs to be a free standalone “game” that’s tied into BFV just like the Fortnite model all the existing BFV crowd can hope is that if it’s successful that some players may be tempted to try the base BF game and/or that it encourages EA to keep supporting the game though that’s a slim hope. Of course if by some miracle Firestorm took off the converse could happen and all resources are diverted into Firestorm.

I thought it was a fact that Firestorm is a completely separate f2p game. Did DICE or EA say something to throw that into doubt?
  • Quasar9111
    170 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    cant even get AL to run - white screen, and very choppy - its NOT my machine as 10 other AAA games work just fine and 4 of them are on Origin
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    5002 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    warslag wrote: »
    Twitch at the moment:

Apex Legends - 178,000 viewers

PUBG - 25,000

COD:BLOPS 4 - 6,000

Rainbow Six: Siege - 4,000

Farming Simulator 19 - 400

ARMA 3 - 300

BF:V - 286

I don't really think Twitch audience is a good measurment of games' popularity.
  • Loqtrall
    12020 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

I thought it was a fact that Firestorm is a completely separate f2p game. Did DICE or EA say something to throw that into doubt?

I never saw any indication that it was separate and f2p. It's been a part of BFVs 6 month roadmap since it released, and there has never been any info shared that would even hint at it being a standalone f2p gamr. From all the information about it they've given us thus far, it sounds like a separate bf5 game mode being developed by Criterion.
  • LinkZeppeloyd
    649 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Loqtrall wrote: »

I never saw any indication that it was separate and f2p. It's been a part of BFVs 6 month roadmap since it released, and there has never been any info shared that would even hint at it being a standalone f2p gamr. From all the information about it they've given us thus far, it sounds like a separate bf5 game mode being developed by Criterion.

So you’re saying people would have to buy BFV to play Firestorm?

If that is actually the case, why is there even this discussion, Firestorm will be DOA.
  • Loqtrall
    edited February 10
    Loqtrall wrote: »

So you’re saying people would have to buy BFV to play Firestorm?

If that is actually the case, why is there even this discussion, Firestorm will be DOA.

Well there has been literally zero indication since its announcement that it'd be standalone, let alone f2p, so there's no reason and never has been a reason to believe it wouldn't just be tacked on to BFV. Since E3 they've had firestorm attached at the hip to BF5, it'd make no sense for it to be standalone when it directly pertains to that game.

It's much like Blackout, where you have to purchase BO4 to play it. It's still popular, and many purchased BO4 solely to play Blackout.
  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6
    1369 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Well, the scary thing would be, if DICE thought FIrestorm was going to be their succesful main mode, thinking folks would flock too it, and with all the investment and content they may have prepared for that, and not others, only for them to have been broadsided.

Now they'll be putting out all this BR nonsense no one asked for on BF, and not what we wanted.

So, just hope it's just put out, and done with, b/c i think there are too many BR games out there, and not something the BF community wanted in the first place. Putting their eggs in that basket, will kill this game, or at least kill it quicker.
  • Loqtrall
    Well, the scary thing would be, if DICE thought FIrestorm was going to be their succesful main mode, thinking folks would flock too it, and with all the investment and content they may have prepared for that, and not others, only for them to have been broadsided.

Now they'll be putting out all this BR nonsense no one asked for on BF, and not what we wanted.

So, just hope it's just put out, and done with, b/c i think there are too many BR games out there, and not something the BF community wanted in the first place. Putting their eggs in that basket, will kill this game, or at least kill it quicker.

Luckily DICE aren't developing Firestorm so it's technically not specifically them giving us something we didn't ask for. Seems like EA jumping on the bandwagon and using thier most popular shooter franchise as a platform.

I still don't see how anything will "kill" this game. When had a BF game ever been "killed" off by something? Hell, Hardline was nearly a hard failure that got a studio shut down and there are STILL people playing it.

Unless, of course, we're defining whether a game has been killed or not by how popular it is in comparison to other games, in that case countless well received and highly praised games have been "killed".