A sad Hypothesis: Firestorm will fail because of Apex Legends

Comments

• xBCxSEALxTEAMx6
    1369 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Loqtrall wrote: »
    Well, the scary thing would be, if DICE thought FIrestorm was going to be their succesful main mode, thinking folks would flock too it, and with all the investment and content they may have prepared for that, and not others, only for them to have been broadsided.

Now they'll be putting out all this BR nonsense no one asked for on BF, and not what we wanted.

So, just hope it's just put out, and done with, b/c i think there are too many BR games out there, and not something the BF community wanted in the first place. Putting their eggs in that basket, will kill this game, or at least kill it quicker.

Luckily DICE aren't developing Firestorm so it's technically not specifically them giving us something we didn't ask for. Seems like EA jumping on the bandwagon and using thier most popular shooter franchise as a platform.

I still don't see how anything will "kill" this game. When had a BF game ever been "killed" off by something? Hell, Hardline was nearly a hard failure that got a studio shut down and there are STILL people playing it.

Unless, of course, we're defining whether a game has been killed or not by how popular it is in comparison to other games, in that case countless well received and highly praised games have been "killed".

Well, on a Triple A the way i use the word "killed", is when nobody or hardly anyone is playing all but say one mode (Conquest) and not playing say the other modes, or dlc maps, and /or the Devs give up on the title.

I mean right now, the game is number 20 "most played" on Xbox (according to the Store), with "Kingdom Hearts" having it beat.

Never heard of that game, but seemingly have many more players.

And this game consistantly on sale at half price since launch.

So, were there past BF titles killed per se? No, but none of them got this bad of a reception, and if you mention BF4, that was a full priced game, where as this is half price. So i wouldn't put this as much as in BF, as much as i compare to the MOH series. That's probably what i would def call 'killed". I think that can certainly happen, not just due to Apex, but due to current circumstances. And if BF thought Firestorm would be it's savior, no matter who made it, that may have been fools courage, indeed.
  • warslag
    1258 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    warslag wrote: »
    Twitch at the moment:

Apex Legends - 178,000 viewers

PUBG - 25,000

COD:BLOPS 4 - 6,000

Rainbow Six: Siege - 4,000

Farming Simulator 19 - 400

ARMA 3 - 300

BF:V - 286

I don't really think Twitch audience is a good measurment of games' popularity.

Your reply genuinely made me laugh. But only because the view counts are so glaring.

One of BFV's most popular Twitch streamers, 'Stodeh', is playing Apex. What I'm saying is that people are watching the same games they are playing. So Twitch is a pretty good guide to popularity.
  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6
    Twitch at the moment:

PUBG - 25,000

ARMA 3 - 300

Your reply genuinely made me laugh. But only because the view counts are so glaring.

One of BFV's most popular Twitch streamers, 'Stodeh', is playing Apex. What I'm saying is that people are watching the same games they are playing. So Twitch is a pretty good guide to popularity.

Right, but lets face it. The big BF streamers have been struggling for awhile. On You Tube, be it Westie, Level Cap or Jack, a quarter of their viewers since the hey day of BF1. Same happened with big streamers over at COD after the IW debacle. Ali A, Chaos, all of them tried to diversify their channels, and jumped to Fortnite.

BF streamers are going to have to do the same, if they don't want to go out and find jobs. And so, they have to diversify and get away from BF if they want to eat.

What they started doing when BF1 was starting to struggle, is start with Pubg, until the BF V hype started, and when they saw the reaction, they knew they were in trouble.

Not to mention, they're the Advertisers for EA, and with Apex, will still get their free vacations, flown out to events, and other VIP treatment.

So, it's a good move for them if they indeed are moving away from BF. But like everything else they try and ruin, those of us who play BF are stuck with their failed ideas DICE unfortunately listens too, and possibly a dead franchise.
  • Loqtrall
    12020 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 10
    Well, the scary thing would be, if DICE thought FIrestorm was going to be their succesful main mode, thinking folks would flock too it, and with all the investment and content they may have prepared for that, and not others, only for them to have been broadsided.

Now they'll be putting out all this BR nonsense no one asked for on BF, and not what we wanted.

So, just hope it's just put out, and done with, b/c i think there are too many BR games out there, and not something the BF community wanted in the first place. Putting their eggs in that basket, will kill this game, or at least kill it quicker.

Luckily DICE aren't developing Firestorm so it's technically not specifically them giving us something we didn't ask for. Seems like EA jumping on the bandwagon and using thier most popular shooter franchise as a platform.

I still don't see how anything will "kill" this game. When had a BF game ever been "killed" off by something? Hell, Hardline was nearly a hard failure that got a studio shut down and there are STILL people playing it.

Unless, of course, we're defining whether a game has been killed or not by how popular it is in comparison to other games, in that case countless well received and highly praised games have been "killed".

Well, on a Triple A the way i use the word "killed", is when nobody or hardly anyone is playing all but say one mode (Conquest) and not playing say the other modes, or dlc maps, and /or the Devs give up on the title.

I mean right now, the game is number 20 "most played" on Xbox (according to the Store), with "Kingdom Hearts" having it beat.

So, were there past BF titles killed per se? No, but none of them got this bad of a reception, and if you mention BF4, that was a full priced game, where as this is half price. So i wouldn't put this as much as in BF, as much as i compare to the MOH series. That's probably what i would def call 'killed". I think that can certainly happen, not just due to Apex, but due to current circumstances. And if BF thought Firestorm would be it's savior, no matter who made it, that may have been fools courage, indeed.

Lol okay so by your standard none of the most recent BF titles have been killed, and other BF games were murdered via the shutdown of GameSpy.

Lol, you may not know what kingdom hearts is but the rest of the world does. KH3 has been a sequel KH fans have been waiting nearly a decade for, it belongs to a popular franchise with a diehard fanbase and upward of a dozen titles under its belt. KH3 being a popular game is not surprising.

Lastly, Hardline received significantly worse reception than BF5. The game was a flop, lost nearly all it's players before even receiving its first dlc, was consistently lambasted as being a different kind of game with "Battlefield" slapped on its title, and ultimately was a factor leading to Visceral Games being shut down. BF4 was also regarded as the worst launch in the history of the franchise and pulled in less than 100,000 concurrent players across FIVE DIFFERENT PLATFORMS mere months after its release. It was heralded as one of the worst bf games ever until dice fixed it over the course of a year. It also got discounted, I don't know why you'd assume it didn't, especially when it had premium that stayed full price until the premium edition was released.

I remember the launch of both of those games very clearly, I was just as active if not moreso active on the forum during that time, and it was well worse than the reception BF5 got from the community. If you think BF5 is broken and needs a lot of work and fixes, then you obviously didn't play BF4 at launch, it was objectively worse in nearly every way, and had even more atrocious balance via all kit weapons including carbines, DMR's, and semi auto slug shotguns for every class.

If BF4 survived its launch in all the darkness and negativity that surrounded it, BF5 will do so while sipping on a drink in the sun and whistling a tune.
  • MrCamp121
    207 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Battlefield 5 will fail because its hot garbage. Firestorm will fail (thankfully) because its BR and doesnt belong in battlefield.
  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6

Lol okay so by your standard none of the most recent BF titles have been killed, and other BF games were murdered via the shutdown of GameSpy.

Lol, you may not know what kingdom hearts is but the rest of the world does. KH3 has been a sequel KH fans have been waiting nearly a decade for, it belongs to a popular franchise with a diehard fanbase and upward of a dozen titles under its belt. KH3 being a popular game is not surprising.

Lastly, Hardline received significantly worse reception than BF5. The game was a flop, lost nearly all it's players before even receiving its first dlc, was consistently lambasted as being a different kind of game with "Battlefield" slapped on its title, and ultimately was a factor leading to Visceral Games being shut down. BF4 was also regarded as the worst launch in the history of the franchise and pulled in less than 100,000 concurrent players across FIVE DIFFERENT PLATFORMS mere months after its release. It was heralded as one of the worst bf games ever until dice fixed it over the course of a year. It also got discounted, I don't know why you'd assume it didn't, especially when it had premium that stayed full price until the premium edition was released.

I remember the launch of both of those games very clearly, I was just as active if not moreso active on the forum during that time, and it was well worse than the reception BF5 got from the community. If you think BF5 is broken and needs a lot of work and fixes, then you obviously didn't play BF4 at launch, it was objectively worse in nearly every way, and had even more atrocious balance via all kit weapons including carbines, DMR's, and semi auto slug shotguns for every class.

If BF4 survived its launch in all the darkness and negativity that surrounded it, BF5 will do so while sipping on a drink in the sun and whistling a tune.

Well Hardline was the one i never played, being that was some cops and robbers game, and the way i remember it, that was more or less a spinoff from BF4. I wouldn't call it a "real" BF game at all. That was never going to get the BF players (including me).

And i mentioned Kingdom Hearts being i never heard of it, but even more popular is "Ark Survival". Is that a game that should have more players than BF V? I mean, we are talking a BF game here, on sale, half price, since launch. Number 20 most played.

So, given the lacking playercounts, even going to be more lacking with Apex, Division 2, etc, why would the devs put many more resources towards this game, knowing the players aren't there to buy the transactions?

In fact, Free Games with Gold is probably in it's future, by Summer Sale. They'll start free weekends after Firestorm, and bargain bin by summer. That's what i call killing the game.

So, my worry isn't as much about this game, being everyones entitled to a flop. It's whether we may even see another BF title, and not end up a MOH situation, where EA just says "we're going to be taking a break from BF for awhile, to assess what we can do better, or whether we should go forward". In short, DICE has screwed the pooch too many times in the past, has likely lost money over investing and underperforming , and EA has to see the way forward on this franchise.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    5001 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Twitch at the moment:

PUBG - 25,000

ARMA 3 - 300

People are following personalities not games. So if someone "famous" plays any dumb thing, people will watch him no matter what. It's not as "clear" as you want it to be.
  • Loqtrall
    12020 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Well Hardline was the one i never played, being that was some cops and robbers game, and the way i remember it, that was more or less a spinoff from BF4. I wouldn't call it a "real" BF game at all. That was never going to get the BF players (including me).

And i mentioned Kingdom Hearts being i never heard of it, but even more popular is "Ark Survival". Is that a game that should have more players than BF V? I mean, we are talking a BF game here, on sale, half price, since launch. Number 20 most played.

So, given the lacking playercounts, even going to be more lacking with Apex, Division 2, etc, why would the devs put many more resources towards this game, knowing the players aren't there to buy the transactions?

In fact, Free Games with Gold is probably in it's future, by Summer Sale. They'll start free weekends after Firestorm, and bargain bin by summer. That's what i call killing the game.

So, my worry isn't as much about this game, being everyones entitled to a flop. It's whether we may even see another BF title, and not end up a MOH situation, where EA just says "we're going to be taking a break from BF for awhile, to assess what we can do better, or whether we should go forward". In short, DICE has screwed the pooch too many times in the past, has likely lost money over investing and underperforming , and EA has to see the way forward on this franchise.

Your logic in using the top played games on Xbox to gauge BF5s success is super flawed. Looking at the top played Xbox games right now, Fifa 19, one of the best selling games overall in 2018, is 2 slots above BF5 on the most played list. Are you going to sit here and tell me EA's top earning game and best selling game of the year is on the verge of being killed because it's the 18th most played Xbox game? What about Forza Horizon 4? That's a very highly regarded racing game with a dedicated fanbase, but it's failing because it's the 17th most played game on Xbox specifically?

There are approx 9 non-full price (less than $60) or heavily discounted games on that list before BF5, and 3 free games. Also one game that was just recently given away for free on Games with Gold.

It's not like BF5 is the 20th most played games out of the most played $60 AAA games. In the "Top Paid Games" category, BF beats out several games in that Top Played category. And several of the top dogs on the Most Played category are way lower on the list in terms of only paid games.

I don't see how you can judge the future of the title based on that nonsense. There are several games, even SWBF2, that are worse off than BF5 on that list that didn't succumb to the fate you're predicting for BF5.

And you've got to be out of your mind to think we won't be seeing another BF title, the next BF title has all but been directly confirmed to be currently in development, and was probably well into production before BF5 even launched. It's a flagship franchise for EA, they're not going to shut it down because some people don't enjoy the game.

You must remember that 2 years ago DICE launched one of the best selling BF games of all time that outsold a CoD title for the first time in history and garnered rave reviews. Thier historical debacle with BF4 turned into one of the most revered BF games of all time through thier hard work fixing its issues. Before that they released literally the best selling BF game ever, period.

It's not like they've been sitting here laying bad eggs, even SWBF2 is still a top paid game on Xbone, a game that people swore would be dead in months and whose development was heavily influenced by EA and Disney. The worst failure in BF, Hardline, wasn't even a DICE game.
  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6

Your logic in using the top played games on Xbox to gauge BF5s success is super flawed. Looking at the top played Xbox games right now, Fifa 19, one of the best selling games overall in 2018, is 2 slots above BF5 on the most played list. Are you going to sit here and tell me EA's top earning game and best selling game of the year is on the verge of being killed because it's the 18th most played Xbox game? What about Forza Horizon 4? That's a very highly regarded racing game with a dedicated fanbase, but it's failing because it's the 17th most played game on Xbox specifically?

There are approx 9 non-full price (less than $60) or heavily discounted games on that list before BF5, and 3 free games. Also one game that was just recently given away for free on Games with Gold.

It's not like BF5 is the 20th most played games out of the most played $60 AAA games. In the "Top Paid Games" category, BF beats out several games in that Top Played category. And several of the top dogs on the Most Played category are way lower on the list in terms of only paid games.

I don't see how you can judge the future of the title based on that nonsense. There are several games, even SWBF2, that are worse off than BF5 on that list that didn't succumb to the fate you're predicting for BF5.

And you've got to be out of your mind to think we won't be seeing another BF title, the next BF title has all but been directly confirmed to be currently in development, and was probably well into production before BF5 even launched. It's a flagship franchise for EA, they're not going to shut it down because some people don't enjoy the game.

You must remember that 2 years ago DICE launched one of the best selling BF games of all time that outsold a CoD title for the first time in history and garnered rave reviews. Thier historical debacle with BF4 turned into one of the most revered BF games of all time through thier hard work fixing its issues. Before that they released literally the best selling BF game ever, period.

It's not like they've been sitting here laying bad eggs, even SWBF2 is still a top paid game on Xbone, a game that people swore would be dead in months and whose development was heavily influenced by EA and Disney. The worst failure in BF, Hardline, wasn't even a DICE game.

Because the games stink man lol. FIFA flopped this year, whacked 20% less in sales. BF 1 had to be in the top 5 for months, and top 10 a year in. In fact it was ttk 2.0 that killed that. As far as SWBF, stay tuned for that. Disney's looking to get out of that mess, and i heard even the EA CEO isn't happy about the deal.

And as far as BF1 in their highest sold, that's true. If only for the Infinite Warfail debacle. If IW went to WW2, or MW, you think BF 1 would have done as well? Anyhow, no sense hypothesizing. We're gonna see soon enough.
  • Loqtrall

Because the games stink man lol. FIFA flopped this year, whacked 20% less in sales. BF 1 had to be in the top 5 for months, and top 10 a year in. In fact it was ttk 2.0 that killed that. As far as SWBF, stay tuned for that. Disney's looking to get out of that mess, and i heard even the EA CEO isn't happy about the deal.

And as far as BF1 in their highest sold, that's true. If only for the Infinite Warfail debacle. If IW went to WW2, or MW, you think BF 1 would have done as well? Anyhow, no sense hypothesizing. We're gonna see soon enough.

Lmao Fifa was still one of the best selling games of 2018, not even remotely far down the list, it was in the top 5 on each platform, at least. It still has millions of players and provides one of EA's biggest revenue streams by far. It's not dying off just because it's not in the top 10 most played games on Xbox specifically. There's zero objective logic in that.

I'd just like to know how long the "we'll see soon enough" line is going to be used? Exactly how long is "soon enough" when people have been saying so for months? If BF5 was at BFH levels of failure to launch, we'd be much worse off reception and playerbase wise than we are now.
  • Catsonspeeed
    605 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Apex Legends is a cartoon shooter. I prefer a military shooter, just like about every other Battlefield player. I don't see a problem here.
  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6

Lmao Fifa was still one of the best selling games of 2018, not even remotely far down the list, it was in the top 5 on each platform, at least. It still has millions of players and provides one of EA's biggest revenue streams by far. It's not dying off just because it's not in the top 10 most played games on Xbox specifically. There's zero objective logic in that.

I'd just like to know how long the "we'll see soon enough" line is going to be used? Exactly how long is "soon enough" when people have been saying so for months? If BF5 was at BFH levels of failure to launch, we'd be much worse off reception and playerbase wise than we are now.

Soon enough as far as the fate of this game, by summer maybe? On the one hand, next gen hype could probably bring another BF game. But on the other hand, you mentioned BF 4 as a nightmare at launch on next gen consoles. The shareholders may not want to take another hit on another BF title next gen. So, we'll see there.

And i'm not sure about what you're saying about FIFA. It got popped 20% of it's physical sales, and we've seen, physical does resonate into digital, as it did here. Madden also got whacked.

So the premise of what i'm saying, is MOH got canned at a time EA was doing very well all around. It had BC 2, and BF3 doing well. Their sports franchises at their pinnacle, but when they saw a losing franchise that couldn't get it right, bye bye it went.

And if it went during the boom times for EA, i'd hate too see what happens here during a darker time. APEX may help, but APEX is not going to make the money other f2p games make, being it's all cosmetic, and it'll never be fortnite. So, again, no sense guessing, we'll have too see.
  • Redstripe101
    2520 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Firestorm failed at the production table, but at least they seem to market their failure by offering an alternative fps. no thanks, wont touch anything by EA or DICE
  • Noodlesocks
    2230 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think what bothers me most about this is how many resources are going into Firestorm when those personnel and work hours could be going in to the main game.
  • BaronVonGoon
    6199 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Battle Royale needs to have respawn, and one not dependent on squadmates like Apex. Actual respawn like conquest. The number of players who would start playing BR if this happens would make the already biggest gamemode in the world even more popular. Respawns end at the last circle ofcourse. Talk about an intense experience.
  • xeNizKing
    305 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    BR does not interest me. I die, a lot, so getting in a game, running around picking up supplies, to finally meet another person and die, then leave that game and start again, not for me. Hopefully it will take away all the hardcore, really good players from the basic game and finally I will rise, to the middle of the scoreboard.

Haha, may your rise to middle board power be a seemless one :P
  • xeNizKing
    305 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    xeNizKing wrote: »
    It's almost like EA has a history of shooting themselves in the foot by releasing 2 games of the same genre back to back and forcing them to compete with each other.

They do it to developers to put them on shaky so they can buy them up afterwards. EA was able to buy Respawn because of it's lackluster sales of TitanFall 2. Those poor sales were directly due to EA's purposeful lack of marketing and poorly timed release.

This is true, I think the developers should of just waited though as the decision rested with them for TF2s release window. Their choice to compete with CoD imo in the most profitable quater for all companies especially CoD was a disasterous opinion, EA isn't without fault at all they definitely tried to make sure BF1 got ahead of everyone and did it in a very underhanded way but it needs to be acknowledged whos at fault for what instead of a pure hate train. A lot of the time its EA. Sometimes however developer studios make horrid decisions.

Do you really believe Respawn doesn't understand release windows? One of the most experienced filled developers on the planet? Do you know who the the founding members of Respawn are?

Respawn didn't go to EA and ask for their relatively unknown IP to be released next to the #1 & #2 best selling IP's in the
    same genre. It didn't happen that way and it's well known it didn't happen that way.

EA hamstrung Respawn after the developer had exhausted it's resources developing it's last title. They have a long, well known, well documented history of doing this. So do other large corporations such as Activision. It's why they are so destructive to the gaming industry. It has an overall stifling effect on all gaming.

Respawn didn't blindly fall off a cliff due to a complete lack of common sense. They were corralled and pushed.

I am fully aware of the fact that respawn was founded by two former verterans of not only the industry but of infinity ward. That is no secret and irrelevant to what I was saying.

Ego and arrogance come to all of us, whether we try to prevent it or not. On some level it happens with big decisions and small ones, they publically stated they wanted to compete directly with CoD which was massively ambitious and stupid at the same time. That is alls we have to go on as its the only actual information we have beyond mere speculation.

The only reason that EA hamstrung Respawn is because they wanted battlefield to directly compete with CoD at the time which payed off for them which left respawn in the dust but I highly doubt titanfall 2 having played it myself quite a bit would of in any way shape or form beat CoD or even leveled out against it. It failed because of overconfidence and horrible timing. They also had to realise that Battlefield would of been pushed for release at the fourth quarter.

Its all well and good that they are good developers but they're human beings capable of human error. Which happens quite frequently no matter the job description or person.
  • xeNizKing

I think objectively "killed" should be decided on how early development stops after the title launches compared to its previous incarnations. If its the first in a potential franchise then I imagine it would have to then depend on its competitors for that kind of information.

I think in the case of battlefield the distinction between "killed" development wise or playerbase wise should probably be made. Playerbase wise BF4 for example is fine, plenty of people still going strong, but development wise its most certainly dead.
  • MidriffUrchin0
    93 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    I just don't see it.
    Was the typical BR player eagerly awaiting for firestorm before they bought bfv? Highly unlikely. They are already on fortnite, pubg and cod. Apex is direct competition to those games not bfv.
    I think those who are excited at playing firestorm, are those who already bought bfv because they like the WW2 setting - which is a big factor, because you aren't going to be getting that Sci fi bang and whizz which apex players seemingly enjoy. Firestorm is going to be more gritty because of the setting and weapons.

• Fadeeaway
    12 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Lol, it's two totally different games...