Fix the game

DeathNoteFINAL
9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited February 10
Each time I join a game and alt tab out of it several times the game becomes unplayable, with huge cpu spikes:
300xzte.png
oh, and after some time it crashes too, because why not.
An here's the event viewer trace:
Faulting application name: bfv.exe, version: 1.0.69.20852, time stamp: 0x5c487dbc
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17763.292, time stamp: 0xb51bba8e
Exception code: 0x887a0006
Fault offset: 0x0000000000055549
Faulting process id: 0x28bc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4bf257fc77130
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield V\bfv.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 4f5459fc-22d9-4229-9e2d-8c0bcb764afb
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Hope I am not the only one getting these weird spikes.

i7 2600, gtx 1060 3gb, 8 gb ddr3
Post edited by DeathNoteFINAL on

Comments

• CSO7777
    1027 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    There are 1000s of possible causes for this. The game is only one of them...

I'm getting the same crash as you, and I suspect the latest Nvidia driver for doing this (and therefore not the game), haven't installed an older version though...

The CPU-spikes could be 'stand-by-memory' issues. Try the program from this link (start the program, click the 'Start'-button and leave it running in the background while playing):
    https://wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1256&sid=7c3e2bb354b219357170be276b416766
  • YourLocalPlumber
    2623 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Maybe upgrade your ancient underpowered hardware first?
  • DeathNoteFINAL
    edited February 10
    CSO7777 wrote: »
    There are 1000s of possible causes for this. The game is only one of them...

I'm getting the same crash as you, and I suspect the latest Nvidia driver for doing this (and therefore not the game), haven't installed an older version though...

The CPU-spikes could be 'stand-by-memory' issues. Try the program from this link (start the program, click the 'Start'-button and leave it running in the background while playing):
    https://wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1256&sid=7c3e2bb354b219357170be276b416766

Tried the 2 latest nvidia drivers, both cause the same issue. I will try previous nvidia driver versions, if I can find them.
    Maybe upgrade your ancient underpowered hardware first?

I get that my cpu is below the requirements, but it works just fine in game even if it bottlenecks my gpu: I won't have the more stable frametime possible, but normally I don't get these huge spikes. Next, your comment misses the point of the thread, since I don't always get these spikes, but only after some time I play or after I alt tab out of the game several times. Moreover the exception I linked above shows that something is wrong within the bf5 application itself or the drivers, as cso7777 pointed out.
    In short:
    295a9gl.png

PS the cpu is not even thermal throttling, since the temps get at most at 60° C.
  • DeathNoteFINAL
    edited February 10
    repost
    Post edited by DeathNoteFINAL on
  • TFBisquit
    1187 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 10
    What's your cpu and max turbo clock? My 2600K works just fine @4,5Ghz on all cores with HT enabled. Mostly above 100fps, in some map areas down to 85ish.
    Maybe your cpu is stepping it up because your gpu lacks some ram and performance overall. That would make it hard on many cpu's, ancient or modern.
    Also 16GB system ram would do you some favors for this game. I usually have upto 8GB system ram in use with BF5, and between 4 and 6GB video ram.
    Ofcourse it takes it because it's there to grab, so it should all be fine with less ram, but still, it gives some extra breathing for your overall performance.
  • Aditrex
    113 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    its your 8gb of ram there u have the reason upgrade that to 16 all spikes should be gone not to mention u have gtx 1060 3gb version along with low 8gb of system memory it is proven by hardwere unboxed on youtube that u need atleast 16gb of ram with that gpu to function well
  • DeathNoteFINAL
    TFBisquit wrote: »
    What's your cpu and max turbo clock? My 2600K works just fine @4,5Ghz on all cores with HT enabled. Mostly above 100fps, in some map areas down to 85ish.
    Maybe your cpu is stepping it up because your gpu lacks some ram and performance overall. That would make it hard on many cpu's, ancient or modern.
    Also 16GB system ram would do you some favors for this game. I usually have upto 8GB system ram in use with BF5, and between 4 and 6GB video ram.
    Ofcourse it takes it because it's there to grab, so it should all be fine with less ram, but still, it gives some extra breathing for your overall performance.

I only got a i7 2600, so it is 3.4 base to 3.8 turbo and I am playing at lowest settings, but the problem here is that the game runs buttery smooth when I launch the bf5 application, but after some games I get these weird spikes.

However I think it is some kind of memory leak bug: when it is buttery smooth it uses 90% of my RAM, but as soon as I get these spikes the memory usage drops to 30-40%, as if either bf5 or the OS released the memory for god knows what reason.
  • Bicepsrage
    15 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I get the same KERNEL crash after few rounds.

gtx 1070
    latest Nvidia drivers...
  • LOLGotYerTags
    12316 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    edited February 10

I only got a i7 2600, so it is 3.4 base to 3.8 turbo and I am playing at lowest settings, but the problem here is that the game runs buttery smooth when I launch the bf5 application, but after some games I get these weird spikes.

Your CPU is pretty weak dude, It's a chip that was released in Q3 2011, The minimum CPU requirement for BFV is an i5-6600K which was released in Q3 2015.

I know you said the game plays buttery smooth for a while and THEN the drops happen, This will be due to your hardware ( for example, You have 8GB of ram ).

8GB of ram is not going to be enough for BFV, sure you can "make do" for a while, But that 8GB will get filled pretty quickly, Also considering Windows requires a minimum of 2GB of ram to function, That leaves you with 6GB for BFV to utilise.. And even then that will fill pretty quick due to fileswap storage ( assets loading into memory and remaining there until they are unloaded at the end of a round or until you quit the application )

TL;DR
    You're running on a CPU that is below the minimum requirement and the amount of ram you have available isn't going to cut it.

:edit:
    Have you ensured you have NOTHING else loaded when you play BFV?
    No chrome tabs open, No internet explorer, No windows open ( other than BFV ), No external applications ( including MSI afterburner or similar programs )

Have you checked the temps of your CPU as you are playing, Heat can cause stutters too as the CPU downclocks to compensate.

Once you can start eliminating other software or windows causing the spikes, You can work towards finding a solution.

:edit 2 :
    not alt-tabbing until you are ready to quit the game is a good solution too.
  • BlindChance
    482 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Quad-Core isn't enough in modern gaming. It shows in CPU intensive games such as BF, Arma or GTA.
  • m1k3ol
    810 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Moderator
    edited February 10
    ^Quad is enough, but you need a modern chip

ok, question

why do you need to alt tab that much?

the issue is certainly on the CPU itself (according to the graph, it's overloaded), I even had issues with BF4 with chips from that era, forcing me to use minimum specs

which settings are you using for the game?

you have a good GPU, but your CPU doesn't have enough juice to handle everything you might be running in the brackground

I recommend rebooting your system, closing any background stuff you might have open (like other game launchers and such), run the game using low options and test from there
  • CSO7777
    1027 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

However I think it is some kind of memory leak bug: when it is buttery smooth it uses 90% of my RAM, but as soon as I get these spikes the memory usage drops to 30-40%, as if either bf5 or the OS released the memory for god knows what reason.

Have you tried clean standby-memory. This gives big cpu-spikes and often starts happening maybe after 15-20 minutes of game-play?

The stand-by-memory is an issue with the Windows memory-manager, sometimes not releasing cached memory fast enough.
  • stateloss
    1 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I am so sick of this "fix this game", "this game is broke", "this game isn't finished" ****. The fact is that there is not enough to diagnose your specific issue; you don't even say what OS/version. The error cited is generic and unlikely due to the game or your GPU drivers. The fact is that you are going to get a lot of system errors should your system not be capable of handling a workload. Ask a question about how to optimize your system... not just say the game is broke or blame it on a memory bug without support.
    1. Run windows update; update everything.
    2. Look up how to do an SFC scan and run it.
    3. If it has been a long time since you have done a clean install of Windows... I would.
  • B0ng0_Banger
    1150 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    his cpu is fine. i can average over 100 fps with a 3770k. i've tried it at base clocks too and only saw a 5-10% drop in fps. his cpu is not much slower than a 3770k not overclocked.
  • DeathNoteFINAL
    Bicepsrage wrote: »
    I get the same KERNEL crash after few rounds.

gtx 1070
    latest Nvidia drivers...

Thanks, so I am no the only one having this issue.

Your CPU is pretty weak dude, It's a chip that was released in Q3 2011, The minimum CPU requirement for BFV is an i5-6600K which was released in Q3 2015.

I know you said the game plays buttery smooth for a while and THEN the drops happen, This will be due to your hardware ( for example, You have 8GB of ram ).

8GB of ram is not going to be enough for BFV, sure you can "make do" for a while, But that 8GB will get filled pretty quickly, Also considering Windows requires a minimum of 2GB of ram to function, That leaves you with 6GB for BFV to utilise.. And even then that will fill pretty quick due to fileswap storage ( assets loading into memory and remaining there until they are unloaded at the end of a round or until you quit the application )

TL;DR
    You're running on a CPU that is below the minimum requirement and the amount of ram you have available isn't going to cut it.

:edit:
    Have you ensured you have NOTHING else loaded when you play BFV?
    No chrome tabs open, No internet explorer, No windows open ( other than BFV ), No external applications ( including MSI afterburner or similar programs )

Have you checked the temps of your CPU as you are playing, Heat can cause stutters too as the CPU downclocks to compensate.

Once you can start eliminating other software or windows causing the spikes, You can work towards finding a solution.

:edit 2 :
    not alt-tabbing until you are ready to quit the game is a good solution too.

I get that the cpu is below the requirements, but as I stated and as you noted it works fine until it gets these spikes. The amount of ram should be fine since it meets the minimum requirements and if it would be the cause of the problem then I should have constant stutters, while this is not the case.
    Moreover when I play bf5 I only leave open task manager and sometimes hardwaremonitor and the command line to monitor my ping, while windows uses up to 1.6 GB of memory.
    When I get these stutters the cpu is around 60-66 ° C, so it should be just fine, the per core cpu utilization never reaches 100% ingame(apart from the initial loading screen), so it should not be a cpu hiccup, but as I stated before the ram usage drops from 80-80% (when I have fluid frametimes) to around 50%, causing immense stuttering. However who knows if it is a memory leak of bfv or if it is the os who releases the memory?
    Quad-Core isn't enough in modern gaming. It shows in CPU intensive games such as BF, Arma or GTA.

Actually the i7 2600 is a quad core + HT, so it should work just fine.
    m1k3ol wrote: »
    ^Quad is enough, but you need a modern chip

ok, question

why do you need to alt tab that much?

the issue is certainly on the CPU itself (according to the graph, it's overloaded), I even had issues with BF4 with chips from that era, forcing me to use minimum specs

which settings are you using for the game?

you have a good GPU, but your CPU doesn't have enough juice to handle everything you might be running in the brackground

I recommend rebooting your system, closing any background stuff you might have open (like other game launchers and such), run the game using low options and test from there

Only bfv & task manager open when I play the game, playing at lowest settings on dx12. I guess it is not a chip problem since in all other games I did not get even a single time this issue. Not once.
    CSO7777 wrote: »

Have you tried clean standby-memory. This gives big cpu-spikes and often starts happening maybe after 15-20 minutes of game-play?

The stand-by-memory is an issue with the Windows memory-manager, sometimes not releasing cached memory fast enough.

yep, already tried, no change whatsoever.
    stateloss wrote: »
    I am so sick of this "fix this game", "this game is broke", "this game isn't finished" ****. The fact is that there is not enough to diagnose your specific issue; you don't even say what OS/version. The error cited is generic and unlikely due to the game or your GPU drivers. The fact is that you are going to get a lot of system errors should your system not be capable of handling a workload. Ask a question about how to optimize your system... not just say the game is broke or blame it on a memory bug without support.
    1. Run windows update; update everything.
    2. Look up how to do an SFC scan and run it.
    3. If it has been a long time since you have done a clean install of Windows... I would.

Sorry if you are sick, maybe stay at home and skip the work next day. Joking aside my version is windows home version 1809, updated to the latest windows update & run both sfc and dism twice, no problem found whatsoever. Oh, and I installed windows 3-4 months ago on a new ssd so ...
  • LOLGotYerTags
    12316 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    edited February 11
    I get that the cpu is below the requirements, but as I stated and as you noted it works fine until it gets these spikes.
    The amount of ram should be fine since it meets the minimum requirements and if it would be the cause of the problem then I should have constant stutters, while this is not the case.

But you're only JUST running the bare minimum requirements, This is why the game is running fine for a little while and then becoming harder to play ( again due to assets being stored in memory and overloading your CPU )

Usually, When a game comes out and has a minimum and recommended spec, The minimum spec is indicative that YES you may be able to run it, But the performance may not be all that great ( as is happening here )

Recommended spec is pretty much a case of "yes you can run the game, And you can run it VERY well"

My opinion, You need to ditch that CPU and change it out for something with a bit more grunt.

If you cannot afford a brand new chip / motherboard etc, You could always look for used CPU's that are compatible with your current motherboard.

Hell, You could also look for half decent CPU and motherboard Bundles and work your way up from there, But I can categorically tell you 100% that you are not going to get any better performance from BFV with that current setup.

Your issue here is only going to get worse with newer games as CPU loads increase, I'm somewhat surprised you're even able to play BFV at all, Let alone with some stutters.
  • B0ng0_Banger
    1150 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm somewhat surprised you're even able to play BFV at all

really ?

to be honest he could maybe use another 8gb of ram if his system is not clean but apart from that it's still decent. his cpu is better than a ryzen 1300x which is recommended. his gpu is pretty much recommended and wont run into v-ram issues as long as he plays at high or lower.

i would cap your frame rate to around 80-90 too. i feel a nearly fixed frame rate is better than it fluctuating all over the place in any game. this will also prevent a lot of the frame spikes if your cpu is close to, or at full load.

• LOLGotYerTags
    I'm somewhat surprised you're even able to play BFV at all

really ?

Considering the age of his CPU, Totally.

That said, I did mention the ram aswell, He could try bumping it up to 16GB to help alleviate some of the usage on his HDD which would reduce CPU load during fileswap.
  • B0ng0_Banger
    considering until late 2017 which intel finally released the 8700k, mainsteam cpus were not even 50% faster from the release of sandy bridge in early 2011
  • SamuelL421
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 16
    Just started getting this same error after update to 418.91 (crash error from event log is KERNELBASE DLL 0x0000000000055549). I'm playing on my 2950x workstation with 64gb ram and 2080ti - so it is not specific to his hardware or because his parts are older. This has to be something related to a combination of settings and the latest Nvidia drivers.