Changes to visibility confirmed

Comments

• Shrediron
    205 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Astr0damus wrote: »
    Shrediron wrote: »
    fakemon64 wrote: »
    Hopefully changes are to lighting, shading, saturation, etc and not in the direction of making soldiers glow more.

Yeah, I don't want them to go overboard like with the footstep audio (which was abysmal in its original "upgraded" form, and is finally in a good place now).

I have no footstep sound at least half the time so.. yeah lol. Disagree that is anywhere near a good place now.

Same. I dont hear foot steps accurately, or barely hear them in the first place and that is while I am laying prone, actively listening for someone approaching then cross referencing that with the map to see if its a friendly.

I would also like to add that I currently have about a $30,000.00 high fi set up and have been critically listening to music (and modest volumes) for 29 years with high end gear. I also use high fidelity headphones at times, so this has nothing to do with my ears or ability to perceive the sound of footsteps.

Regarding hearing footsteps, I had my headphones on the wrong setting since I got the game at Christmas time, I just scrolled until I saw "headphones" and selected it-- never occurred to me to check and see if there were multiple options for headphones. The red highlighted option is what I used to have them on before last night, the green is what I changed them to and it made a huge difference.
    ===
    audio.jpg

Thank you. I am well aware of those settings.

I have a 30K+ High-fi audio rig in my living room and audiophile headphones.
    I have been critically listening to music for over 30 years. In fact one time in Los Angeles I detected phase issues on an LP recording of Linda Ronstadts "Whats New" on the song "Good Bye" with an audio engineer in the room that even he did not hear until I pointed out the exact location on the LP.

I only point this out because invariably complaining about anything in game will be met with "git gud" (not accusing you of this, but other people will read it).

I have played with the stereo settings, surround settings, 3d settings, tried headphones with the headphones, speakers with the headphones, speakers with speakers etc etc.

The bottom line is that footsteps are hard to hear approaching while silent, much less with gun fire and action man dynamiting everything in his path. I could possibly have a dip in my hearing at the same frequency that the footsteps occupy. That is why I had asked if we could get a slider for footsteps to make them louder. Of course the reply I got was "that would be an unfair advantage to those with lower settings" my reply was " you mean like lower graphics to get better visibility?". Some people just do not think before they speak.

regardless, thanks for the heads up!

• CPTN-Cr4ptastic
    1701 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Hopefully changes are to lighting, shading, saturation, etc and not in the direction of making soldiers glow more.

Agreed.
    These are what I believe are making Visibility an issue in the first place and I've stated that many times.

The sad part about it is, that knowing Dice. they will (Elephant Foot Steps) lighten up the character model textures too the point that they can longer match another texture in the game. A beautiful and detailed world with cartoon characters... Yay!
  • parkingbrake
    3012 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ackers75 wrote: »
    Great, more hand-holding for the crybabies. Even my old eyes have little trouble spotting opponents in this game, if my old reflexes were a little better I'd be able to kill more of them. So the run n' gun kids are getting more visible enemies to compensate for not taking their time and looking, at this rate 3D spotting will be back by summer. So much for the idea of a more challenging game.

Spoken like a true corner camper!

Hardly, I don't have the patience to be a good camper. I only spend a lot of time in one spot if my squad decides to hold one flag, and even then it's unlikely I'll be prone. I just don't experience this issue much, and I think it's reasonable that the folks suffering from it are the ones in permanent sprint mode. I can't understand how else they're finding it hard to spot opponents.
  • Marine_IraHayes2
    200 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member

Yeah, I don't want them to go overboard like with the footstep audio (which was abysmal in its original "upgraded" form, and is finally in a good place now).

I have no footstep sound at least half the time so.. yeah lol. Disagree that is anywhere near a good place now.

Really because footsteps are just right on PC for me... and ducking and sneaking actually seem to work as intended now. And with my surround sound headphones it's easy for me to track sprinting enemies...

But the spotting... cummon guys. I play on ultra graphics everything turnt wayyy up, and I don't have a problems spotting ppl.

This is totally caving to run and gun call of duty style gameplay. And ppl getting made that they are killed by prone enemies... which happens in literally every FPS game.

I hope they don't touch this at all to be honest. It's nice to apply green camo and actual lay still in the bushes to ambush unsuspecting sprinters...

Why is being able to see "caving to run and gun call of duty style gameplay" when literally every other mainstream FPS on the market has far superior visibility to BFV. Why specifically Call of Duty? Siege has better visibility. Titanfall has better visibility. Quake Champions has better visibility. Arma has better visibility. Red Orchestra 2 has better visibility. CSGO has better visibility. Team Fortress 2 has better visibility. Battlefield 3 has better visibility. Battlefield 4 has better visibility. Battlefield 1 has better visibility. And so on and so forth.

You're confusing visibility with lighting? Graphics? BF5 has more advanced graphics and lighting than these games.

It has better textures and skins too... so yes camo is working as intended.

Why do you hate dying to someone who is hiding? Why does this fill us with unquenchable rage?

Are we trying to make this a E-league competitive shooter? What's the end goal? I don't hear any good examples from ppl on how they can fix "visibility". Just hear the term thrown out there loosely along with a lot of hate towards "campers". It's the same old stuff every time.

Seems to me ppl are mad that someone can go prone in the shadows and surprise them... that's probably where 90% of the hate comes from.

I know there are legitimate bugs when it comes to lighting and so on... but bottom line is ppl are mad at play styles.

Why does not being able to become a rock fill you with unquenchable rage? Is it because you need the poor visibility crutch so you have a chance against superior players?

This^
    Dude, whatever. The only advantage someone with an MG had was that you might overlook them if they picked a good spot. Nothing to do with anyone being superior. Now it'll be nigh on impossible to blend which was the only thing protecting us from getting killed long range. You you can say what you want if it stuffs your ego but this is another blow against MG players.

You still have bushes.........you should NOT be able to look exactly like a rock.

You mean they had rock camouflage back then?
  • Astr0damus
    2855 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Same. I dont hear foot steps accurately, or barely hear them in the first place and that is while I am laying prone, actively listening for someone approaching then cross referencing that with the map to see if its a friendly.

I would also like to add that I currently have about a $30,000.00 high fi set up and have been critically listening to music (and modest volumes) for 29 years with high end gear. I also use high fidelity headphones at times, so this has nothing to do with my ears or ability to perceive the sound of footsteps.

Regarding hearing footsteps, I had my headphones on the wrong setting since I got the game at Christmas time, I just scrolled until I saw "headphones" and selected it-- never occurred to me to check and see if there were multiple options for headphones. The red highlighted option is what I used to have them on before last night, the green is what I changed them to and it made a huge difference.
    ===
    audio.jpg

I have been critically listening to music for over 30 years. In fact one time in Los Angeles I detected phase issues on an LP recording of Linda Ronstadts "Whats New" on the song "Good Bye" with an audio engineer in the room that even he did not hear until I pointed out the exact location on the LP.

I only point this out because invariably complaining about anything in game will be met with "git gud" (not accusing you of this, but other people will read it).

I have played with the stereo settings, surround settings, 3d settings, tried headphones with the headphones, speakers with the headphones, speakers with speakers etc etc.

The bottom line is that footsteps are hard to hear approaching while silent, much less with gun fire and action man dynamiting everything in his path. I could possibly have a dip in my hearing at the same frequency that the footsteps occupy. That is why I had asked if we could get a slider for footsteps to make them louder. Of course the reply I got was "that would be an unfair advantage to those with lower settings" my reply was " you mean like lower graphics to get better visibility?". Some people just do not think before they speak.

True.. I suppose with PC you guys are used to being able to control more details. (Maybe even console can run lower graphics, I wouldn't know because it seems counter-intuitive) My next suggestion is play on the "War Tapes" setting and hear everything SUPER LOUD. (j/k)
    I'm just glad that dude pointed out the 3-D headphones setting, it was a real game-changer for me.
  • Shrediron
    205 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

===
    audio.jpg

True.. I suppose with PC you guys are used to being able to control more details. (Maybe even console can run lower graphics, I wouldn't know because it seems counter-intuitive) My next suggestion is play on the "War Tapes" setting and hear everything SUPER LOUD. (j/k)
    I'm just glad that dude pointed out the 3-D headphones setting, it was a real game-changer for me.

If a PC player runs their grass settings on high/ultra it actually puts grass in game, tall enough to use for mild cover.
    If you lower that setting to low or minimum, it removes the grass completely except for some green flat looking grass on the ground. Under these conditions you could not hide a mouse.
  • MSKelly1976
    207 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    dcs500 wrote: »
    What about the invisible players, are they getting a buff?

Don’t even get me started on that crap...

• Hawxxeye
    4728 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    These MMG MLG camper tears almost make up for three months of crappy visibility. Almost.
    I am not sure how it is about MMGs considering that they are the easiest infantry targets in the game
  • Thacyoon
    90 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Great, more hand-holding for the crybabies. Even my old eyes have little trouble spotting opponents in this game, if my old reflexes were a little better I'd be able to kill more of them. So the run n' gun kids are getting more visible enemies to compensate for not taking their time and looking, at this rate 3D spotting will be back by summer. So much for the idea of a more challenging game.

Totally!!! agree!
  • MachoFantast1c0
    1939 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    These MMG MLG camper tears almost make up for three months of crappy visibility. Almost.
    I am not sure how it is about MMGs considering that they are the easiest infantry targets in the game

In my experience it's an MMG user exploiting visibility and stances in 90 percent of the cases. You are correct though, when they are properly silhouetted, they are easy to take out, but I guess those aren't the MLG guys. I would prefer MMGs got either removed from the game altogether, or thoroughly reworked to function in a completely different fashion.
  • Hawxxeye
    4728 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

In my experience it's an MMG user exploiting visibility and stances in 90 percent of the cases. You are correct though, when they are properly silhouetted, they are easy to take out, but I guess those aren't the MLG guys. I would prefer MMGs got either removed from the game altogether, or thoroughly reworked to function in a completely different fashion.
    In all these months the only MMG user that ever did real damage to the other team was just once a guy with an MG42 and his recon sidekick camping southeast of the B flag on the 2nd sector in Arras breakthrough somehow he was mowing down people all the way to A flag when they were exposed.
    that was pre bipod nerf.
    Most of the time any death by an MMG might had as well been a death from an lmg or an assault weapon.
  • mattd3162014
    313 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

The changes are just to areas that where too dark and also to areas that where too bright take a look at the picture he has its not as bad as people and all the support players are making it out too be.
  • UsainskiSemperFi
    507 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    is it only me noticing that, but after last updates and ''visibility'' changes light tone camouflages now actually glow in dark areas?
  • MachoFantast1c0
    1939 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

In all these months the only MMG user that ever did real damage to the other team was just once a guy with an MG42 and his recon sidekick camping southeast of the B flag on the 2nd sector in Arras breakthrough somehow he was mowing down people all the way to A flag when they were exposed.
    that was pre bipod nerf.
    Most of the time any death by an MMG might had as well been a death from an lmg or an assault weapon.

Again, you are correct. However, my gripe is not with their effect on the match, it's their effect on my personal enjoyment. MMG potential is not the issue, it is the playstyle they embody and how they disrupt the flow of the game. It is not a coincidence that people were not camping/exploiting visibility with any of the other weapon classes (shotguns included). Those inclined to camp explicitly chose MMGs since those allow for maximizing their lethality in such a scenario.

And to further highlight my grievances, I have never ever been salty about scouts/snipers, neither in this game nor BF1 with their sweet spots and initial non-glint. They are equally inconsequential, but you could always counter them with movement, so they presented very little inconvenience to my person. There is no out-moving a 1000 RPM bullet hose with a 250 round belt. There is no non-class-specific, non-team oriented counter to an MMG camper exploiting poor visibility. There just isn't, regardless of what proponents of poor visibility suggest.

I am not salty because they perform well, I'm salty because they perform poorly and inhibit my potential to perform well. If the game provided a mechanic for me to master and thus counter their effect, I wouldn't be as salty. Then my death would be a failing of my own, but as of now I feel I'm dying without making a reasonable error in my game play.
  • Hawxxeye

that was pre bipod nerf.

Again, you are correct. However, my gripe is not with their effect on the match, it's their effect on my personal enjoyment. MMG potential is not the issue, it is the playstyle they embody and how they disrupt the flow of the game. It is not a coincidence that people were not camping/exploiting visibility with any of the other weapon classes (shotguns included). Those inclined to camp explicitly chose MMGs since those allow for maximizing their lethality in such a scenario.

And to further highlight my grievances, I have never ever been salty about scouts/snipers, neither in this game nor BF1 with their sweet spots and initial non-glint. They are equally inconsequential, but you could always counter them with movement, so they presented very little inconvenience to my person. There is no out-moving a 1000 RPM bullet hose with a 250 round belt. There is no non-class-specific, non-team oriented counter to an MMG camper exploiting poor visibility. There just isn't, regardless of what proponents of poor visibility suggest.

I am not salty because they perform well, I'm salty because they perform poorly and inhibit my potential to perform well. If the game provided a mechanic for me to master and thus counter their effect, I wouldn't be as salty. Then my death would be a failing of my own, but as of now I feel I'm dying without making a reasonable error in my game play.
    For example smoke grenades for all classes?
  • The_lron_Lady
    17 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 13
    Dice, just remove MMG's. You have to stay prone to use them otherwise they are pointless. Just take them out because using them is a pain in the rear anyway. We have spotting....spotting allows you to....gasp spot people, especially snipers and MMG targets. Spotting is OP...I know because I was accused of hacking for being in 1st place during a match where I racked up stupid numbers just for spotting.

The only people wanting more visbility are those that get sore because some poor MMG'er, just trying to stay useful, happens to wound the pride of rambo medics and action men assault.
  • MachoFantast1c0

that was pre bipod nerf.

For example smoke grenades for all classes?

That would be a step in the right direction. Though I was thinking along the lines of subtle idle movement or faint audio cues that would do nothing the help unaware/careless players, but a prepared, concentrated player could learn to pick up on. Maybe farts would work.