Headshots. Is it only me, or....

Jonny_ChaosMCR
1350 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
Just wondering if anyone else always, always forgets to aim for headshots? I have played games since the 80's but only played online shooters on a regular basis since 2016. Every single thing i've tried to learn to get better I have done. Every tip I've been given i've implemented it to a point it's now mental muscle memory and I just do it, except headshots. For some reason I just canNOT go for headshots. I know it's the quickest way to kill someone but for some really annoying reason I just forget in the heat of the moment. If i'm sniping with a scope and i've got someone who is stood still and I can go for it, that's the only time I do, cos it feels safe. But every other 1v1 or gunfight, I just can't find a way to remind myself to do it. I tell myself before every game. I tell myself before I see an enemy, but as soon as I see the enemy I just shoot them until they're dead, then as soon as they die, I think, 'oh, I was supposed to be gong for headshots'. Can anyone help. Has anyone has this same experience and managed to find a way to get it into your head so it's second nature cos I really need to get implementing this so I can step my game up. Sometimes i'll put more emphasis on headshots than playing the actual game but I still forget once I run into someone.

Cheers.

Comments

• ProAssassin2003
    3002 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You don't have to Aim for Headshots in BFV. It gives them to you. It's a Mechanic.
  • M_Rat13
    792 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    90% of my headshots are by accident lol, unless I'm using a BA rifle.

Saying that, I've had more headshots with the Bren gun, than I have with the Lee Enfield, I'm pretty certain. The Lee Enfield is just a really bad BA rifle, IMO, all the others are fine.
  • spartanx169x
    677 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Halo was my first shooter and H4 was first PVP game. I learned pretty quickly that headshots were a must. So it became standard to me. but other games such as COD can make me lazy in focusing on them. With BFV I wonder if I focus too much on getting headshots wasting bullets and time instead of the body and may be getting me killed.
  • Astr0damus
    2901 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Just wondering if anyone else always, always forgets to aim for headshots? I have played games since the 80's but only played online shooters on a regular basis since 2016. Every single thing i've tried to learn to get better I have done. Every tip I've been given i've implemented it to a point it's now mental muscle memory and I just do it, except headshots. For some reason I just canNOT go for headshots. I know it's the quickest way to kill someone but for some really annoying reason I just forget in the heat of the moment. If i'm sniping with a scope and i've got someone who is stood still and I can go for it, that's the only time I do, cos it feels safe. But every other 1v1 or gunfight, I just can't find a way to remind myself to do it. I tell myself before every game. I tell myself before I see an enemy, but as soon as I see the enemy I just shoot them until they're dead, then as soon as they die, I think, 'oh, I was supposed to be gong for headshots'. Can anyone help. Has anyone has this same experience and managed to find a way to get it into your head so it's second nature cos I really need to get implementing this so I can step my game up. Sometimes i'll put more emphasis on headshots than playing the actual game but I still forget once I run into someone.

Cheers.

Once again, here I am saying "in real life"... aim for center-mass to kill, aim for the head if you want to take a chance on missing and being shot back. chest/stomach area gives you the best percentages. I would wager if you purposely tried for headshots, you would get more, but you would also die more (due to misses)
  • Astr0damus
    2901 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    M_Rat13 wrote: »
    90% of my headshots are by accident lol, unless I'm using a BA rifle.

Saying that, I've had more headshots with the Bren gun, than I have with the Lee Enfield, I'm pretty certain. The Lee Enfield is just a really bad BA rifle, IMO, all the others are fine.

Most submachine guns will "climb" so you start shooting at chest and ultimately get a few headshots by the time you get the kill.
    With shotguns, I always aim center-mass, but sometimes people crouch and take one to the dome (or you are shooting from a raised position and get a headshot auto-magically)
  • kjgregoire
    116 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Honestly I never aim for the head. It’s strange cause a fair percentage of my kills, maybe 25% are head shots. Usually I’ll use an MMG and walk the gun up from the chest with recoil and spIat I get a headshot.

If I am sniping of course I aim for the head, but only if they are stationary. Otherwise if they are running I go for the body.
  • MSKelly1976
    207 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Unless I’m sniping I aim center mass... By product of military training. It’s to ingrained in me to fight against.
  • Jonny_ChaosMCR
    1350 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Astr0damus wrote: »

Cheers.

Once again, here I am saying "in real life"... aim for center-mass to kill, aim for the head if you want to take a chance on missing and being shot back. chest/stomach area gives you the best percentages. I would wager if you purposely tried for headshots, you would get more, but you would also die more (due to misses)

I think this is it. It's the fear of putting too much focus on hitting their head instead of killing them, and missing whilst being shot yourself. Recoil will just bounce you over their heads until you've totally mastered the pattern. This is why I hate how so much emphasis is on the head on console, cos it's not like aiming with a mouse yet they treat it the same.
  • Jonny_ChaosMCR
    kjgregoire wrote: »
    Honestly I never aim for the head. It’s strange cause a fair percentage of my kills, maybe 25% are head shots. Usually I’ll use an MMG and walk the gun up from the chest with recoil and spIat I get a headshot.

If I am sniping of course I aim for the head, but only if they are stationary. Otherwise if they are running I go for the body.

Yeah it happens accidentally a lot, every time you see the hitmarkers change colour I think, 'sweet, got a headshot', but I was never focussing on doing it. I don't think i'm chilled enough to do it, I still get tensed up when I see an enemy. considering we've all played games for so long you'd think it's something you could approach a bit more casually after all these years but I still always get that little boost of adrenaline.
  • ElliotLH
    7201 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Usually I'll aim for centre-mass but I will try for headshots too if there's an opportunity, eventhough I miss most of the time when I do. I'm just not accurate or quick enough with players moving I think.

This is why I've mostly made peace with the fact I won't complete the SLR/DMR assignments hahaha.
  • Jonny_ChaosMCR
    Yeah, I remember the Ribey rolles assignment in BF1 was hell. I aimed for the chest and let the recoil do the rest, cos when I did it intentionally, I either got killed trying too hard to line my aim up, or it just didn't count as a headshot.
  • Jedi76
    828 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 13
    I tend to go center mass, mainly because recoil is usually "up" on the Gewehr 43 so it ends up potentially being a headshot as the recoil does it's work. That way I tend to get one hit in the body and then my follow up is a yellow or headshot to finish.

I don't know, headshots (unless I am purely sniping with BA, or the guy is still) tend to give me too much room for error, and they are also potential for two-shots with the Gewehr 43 (I thought any weapon was one-shot to the head but it appears not).

Occasionally I get lucky on the guy who is 150 metres away running left-to-right, I take a punt on a headshot just for fun, and by a combination of "reasonable" aim and pure luck, hit him in the head and one-shot him. Those shots are great but I think I only did that a handful of times.
  • Tullzter
    1042 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    aim for torso and let recoil take me to the head lol
  • Sixclicks
    5073 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Depends on the weapon I'm using.

I always go for headshots with low recoil weapons like the Ribeyerolles. I try to go for them as much as possible with semi-autos as well.

I don't bother going for headshots with rapid fire high recoil weapons.

You pretty much are forced to go for headshots to be effective with bolt actions.

It's not really worth going for headshots with recon SLRs unless you know the enemy is already injured. Otherwise headshots with SLRs do nothing for you since it's still a two hit kill.
  • tempo_rarity
    983 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    With Autos it's center-mass chest and ride the recoil up - I gotta kill as quickly as possible in such kill-or-be-killed moments , so for me it ain't a box as much as it is a triangle .
    With CQ handgun it's pretty much the same (M1911 Forever!)
    With Sniping its usually body shots on runners (although 'straight-line' runners offer tempting and rather easy HS opportunities) and Headshots on anyone stationary .
    I'd add that Range will play a factor in my Recons decision-making on this as well - too far a HS attempt too useless , too near a HS attempt too dangerous .