Why do so many guns in this game have literally no recoil or spread at all?

Comments

• Sixclicks
    5047 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 12
    The recoil is just too predictable and easy to control. Many of the guns are almost all vertical recoil.

I remember them talking about each gun having unique properties such as recoil that you'd need to learn to master through experience - that's a load of nonsense. For most guns, simply pull down slightly on your mouse or analog stick and you're good to go.

Specializations that reduce recoil further don't help with this problem either. It's why we have some guns that feel like full auto laser beams.
  • aRrAyStArTaT0
    671 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Honestly, the spread is what gets me. Why in the world can an AR be as accurate as a sniper, have the recoil of a Bipod LMG, the trigger fire rate of a SMG, and the range of a sniper with the TTK of an AR?
    Just dumb balance. 3 shots to kill at long range is too few for guns like this.
  • Sixclicks
    5047 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Honestly, the spread is what gets me. Why in the world can an AR be as accurate as a sniper, have the recoil of a Bipod LMG, the trigger fire rate of a SMG, and the range of a sniper with the TTK of an AR?

Assault rifles take up to 6 shots to kill at long ranges. For you to kill in 3 at long ranges, you'd need headshots.

I do agree that automatic weapons are too easy to use at long ranges though.
  • CPTN-Cr4ptastic
    1697 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Sixclicks wrote: »
    The recoil is just too predictable and easy to control. Many of the guns are almost all vertical recoil.

I remember them talking about each gun having unique properties such as recoil that you'd need to learn to master through experience - that's a load of nonsense. For most guns, simply pull down slightly on your mouse or analog stick and you're good to go.

Specializations that reduce recoil further don't help with this problem either. It's why we have some guns that feel like full auto laser beams.

So, you and others prefer weapons that are harder to control then the Devil himself? Why? The gun play is a blast as is with this quick TTK. This isn't an E- Sport game is it? And none of us are playing this game on a professional level, I mean were here to have FUN. Playing this game as is, is already a pretty good challenge for the average gamer.

There's very few guns that actually feel like a challenge to use imo. Bolt actions are pretty much the only ones. Not because of recoil of course, but because of requiring actual precision. Almost every other gun simply feels like, "hold down trigger for body shots, pull down on mouse to counter recoil." It's too simple. More challenge and variety is FUN imo. I personally think a quick TTK and also easily controllable and accurate weapons is bad combo.

Okay, that's fair. Personally I find every weapon in the game to be a challenge at times, depending on the constantly changing situations I'm faced with. Hopefully Dice can find a middle ground for all of us. I'm fine with compromise.
  • 0SiGHT0
    455 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 13

I remember them talking about each gun having unique properties such as recoil that you'd need to learn to master through experience - that's a load of nonsense.
    It used to be like this in previous BF games, you know, when they actually put thoughtfulness and effort into their games.

What's funny is their solution to balance some guns like the medic weapons is to just reduce the recoil and spread even further, they are a joke to use and not fun at all.
  • BGHFlakjacket
    1227 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Because it takes too many rounds to kill. If you tried to get 5 bullets on target with the spread and recoil of real guns, you would fail alot. If we had an HC mode, this would be OK. But for now, we need the laser rifles to keep up with the unrealistic bullets it takes to kill.
  • CracKxEm
    79 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 13
    Because it takes too many rounds to kill. If you tried to get 5 bullets on target with the spread and recoil of real guns, you would fail alot. If we had an HC mode, this would be OK. But for now, we need the laser rifles to keep up with the unrealistic bullets it takes to kill.

youve obviously never fired a real gun and a Chinese ak47 isnt what i would call a real gun... any(90%) troop deployed today carrying an m4 could unload a full clip into anything 300m or closer the entire clip...some could do it with ironsights.

and i do agree in real life you take 1-2 rounds (anywhere) your down. but this isnt real live its a game... altho ttk could be decreased in my opinion, ARs could also lose a little spread...
  • aRrAyStArTaT0
    671 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Assault rifles take up to 6 shots to kill at long ranges. For you to kill in 3 at long ranges, you'd need headshots.

Tell that to literally any semi auto rifle, all of which kill in 3 shots, 2 if you get a headshot at any range. The actual AR guns have lower damage but identical time to kill.
    Time to kill is too low. Can't react.
  • Sixclicks

Tell that to literally any semi auto rifle, all of which kill in 3 shots, 2 if you get a headshot at any range. The actual AR guns have lower damage but identical time to kill.
    Time to kill is too low. Can't react.

You said assault rifle in the post of yours that I quoted. You didn't say semi-auto rifle.

You're still wrong though. Not all semi-auto rifles kill in 3 hits at any range. The M1A1 takes 4 hits up to 50 meters with chest shots and 5 hits beyond 50 meters with chest shots. The Turner SMLE takes 4 beyond 75 meters with chest shots.
  • TFBisquit
    783 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    There is enough recoil. Make it more and you can cut the player base in half, or worse. Because when I look at any scoreboard, I mean any, there are just a couple high rollers per side, the rest is average. So much for that laser beam theory.
  • BGHFlakjacket
    1227 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    CracKxEm wrote: »

youve obviously never fired a real gun and a Chinese ak47 isnt what i would call a real gun... any(90%) troop deployed today carrying an m4 could unload a full clip into anything 300m or closer the entire clip...some could do it with ironsights.

and i do agree in real life you take 1-2 rounds (anywhere) your down. but this isnt real live its a game... altho ttk could be decreased in my opinion, ARs could also lose a little spread...

I actually have an FFL. But you obviously did not know that.

• TheyHaveScissors
    484 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 22

I wonder what DICE was thinking when designing the gunplay. Did they test it with faulty mouse or console-controllers?
    Post edited by TheyHaveScissors on
  • GlaeschenMaggi
    81 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I really wonder why so many supports cry about their MMGs and LMGs having too much recoil. I have played both LMGs and MMGs quite a bit and I have to say that the recoil is pretty minor. It is still easy to shoot people down at further ranges with MMGs.

If I play the support I mostly use some shotguns with the slug upgrade because in my opinion those are some demanding weapons and it is quite satisfying eliminating other people, especially assaults at further ranges with it.

Anyways the assault‘s guns are even easier to play than the support‘s guns although most of them are already simple to play with.
  • VincentNZ
    1744 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    To put it simply, their system of recoil patterns just does not work. Nobody is really sure how it functions and it is irrelevant to half the guns out there, because they are either semi, require a bipod, or fire so fast that you burst it anyway before the pattern even kicks in. Add that nonsensical spread as recoil mechanic and you will get weapons randomly recoiling all over the place regardless of the gun's inherent properties.
    Learnable recoil patterns are just a meme, when you still have additional random recoil and random spread as recoil. Now not that I would want to muscle-learn anything anyway, which is just a stupid concept.
    It is really time for them to go back to the traditional spread system for all weapons so that they can make low ROF weapons more accurate again by default instead of letting them remain in uselessness.
  • TheyHaveScissors
    484 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    VincentNZ wrote: »
    To put it simply, their system of recoil patterns just does not work. Nobody is really sure how it functions and it is irrelevant to half the guns out there, because they are either semi, require a bipod, or fire so fast that you burst it anyway before the pattern even kicks in. Add that nonsensical spread as recoil mechanic and you will get weapons randomly recoiling all over the place regardless of the gun's inherent properties.
    Learnable recoil patterns are just a meme, when you still have additional random recoil and random spread as recoil. Now not that I would want to muscle-learn anything anyway, which is just a stupid concept.
    It is really time for them to go back to the traditional spread system for all weapons so that they can make low ROF weapons more accurate again by default instead of letting them remain in uselessness.

Like the BF1/BF4 model? That model would be a lot better.
  • bran1986
    5161 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    People thought needing to learn trigger discipline in addition to controlling recoil was too casual. Mag dumping and clicking the fire button as fast as humanely possible is the epitome of skill.

@VincentNZ nailed it. The spread as recoil mechanic is jarring. On fast firing weapons like assault rifles or lmgs it really isn't noticeable due to being able to burst and drop someone out to 50-70 meters, but when you are firing a 514 rpm smg and you are trying to land your 7th or 8th bullet on a target and your gun starts bucking to the right or up and to the right it gets annoying.
  • hawkseye17
    575 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Recoil in this game is pretty ok for most guns.
    As for bullet spread, it's way better than the atrocious random spread in BF1
  • Thacyoon
    90 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    0SiGHT0 wrote: »
    Why do so many guns in this game have literally no recoil or spread at all?

Try the MG42 and you will get your recoil/spread. Assault semi is the OP weapons.