Aircraft Seat Swapping

Scottscott88
3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
In general there's not a huge amount that has irritated me as much in this game as the ability for people to seat swap from piloting a bomber, to the tail gunner and start uploading on a trailing aircraft, all whilst the bomber maintains course.

Surely I can't be the only one that finds this absurd?

Comments

• Jesus4000
    153 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    BFV is not a mil-sim and without that "ability" fighters would be severely OP as bombers had nothing to defend themselves.
  • Scottscott88
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Whilst I didn't mention it was meant to be a mil-sim, that's surely the whole point of working as a Squad/Team?
  • narnold700
    282 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yea seat swapping is kind of a joke, and it is sad when said seat swappers whine about you ramming them after they do this because of course seat swapping is like slamming on the brakes when you're flying.
  • fragnstein
    475 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Auto pilot, working as intended
  • TheyHaveScissors
    644 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    In general there's not a huge amount that has irritated me as much in this game as the ability for people to seat swap from piloting a bomber, to the tail gunner and start uploading on a trailing aircraft, all whilst the bomber maintains course.

Was also a problem in the beta. DICE never looked at it. It's OP imo. There should be several seconds delay like in BF1.
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

It is absurd, but it's been in the series for title after title, so it seems to be something DICE wants to be there.
  • Noodlesocks
    2785 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Been an issue in Battlefield for literal decades. Another thing Dice Sweden doesn't seem to feel like addressing.
  • Scottscott88
    narnold700 wrote: »
    Yea seat swapping is kind of a joke, and it is sad when said seat swappers whine about you ramming them after they do this because of course seat swapping is like slamming on the brakes when you're flying.

Also this.
  • lolingbuffalo
    30 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I really don't get why people complain about it so much. They become a sitting target with a pea shooter and you've got plane shredding machine guns. Just use different tactics and attack from below so they can't see you. Or shoot them from further away.
  • Chubzdoomer
    1397 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 13
    It probably wouldn't bother me so much if the tail gun didn't do insane amounts of damage over a short period of time.

There's nothing more frustrating than getting on a bomber's tail and lighting him up like crazy only for him to hot-swap to the tail gunner seat and melt you in what feels like 1-2 seconds.
  • daywalker_1402
    123 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Jesus4000 wrote: »
    BFV is not a mil-sim and without that "ability" fighters would be severely OP as bombers had nothing to defend themselves.

that's the risk you take when picking a bomber to fly without a teammate tail gunning for you IMO.
  • M_Rat13
    927 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

You do make one point at least. Bomber pilots, you should remember you slow down when seat swapping, so if seat swapping gets you rammed, it's your own fault.
  • Finrod_Fierceaxe
    97 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Leave it alone.

Bombers are big and slow. They deserve some defense.

You're in a fast, lightweight fighter with excellent guns. If you cant figure out a workaround, you dont deserve the kill.
  • Stahlmach
    1156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    M_Rat13 wrote: »

You do make one point at least. Bomber pilots, you should remember you slow down when seat swapping, so if seat swapping gets you rammed, it's your own fault.

Any Fighter Pilot with a functioning Brain know this when chasing a Bomber. But the ones who always fly straight behind, never switching directions are the Rammers.
    Not the Bomber Pilot fault, when these guys are simply too stupid.
  • KingsportCowboy
    167 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It probably wouldn't bother me so much if the tail gun didn't do insane amounts of damage over a short period of time.

There's nothing more frustrating than getting on a bomber's tail and lighting him up like crazy only for him to hot-swap to the tail gunner seat and melt you in what feels like 1-2 seconds.
    As a very frequent tailgunner, if you're getting melted by it you are definitely doing something wrong. Even the heavy ones I can rarely do 120s worth of damage before the other plane breaks off. I often get engine disables but if the pilot is smart it doesn't matter. They return seconds later fit as a fiddle.
  • rainkloud
    548 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I think what a lot of people find really troubling is the dramatic slowing of the aircraft. I think when you switch seats it should maintain course and speed. And what would represent is not the literal action of the pilot heading to the gunner station but rather the player taking over that position while the pilot's role is assumed by an AI (albeit AI in its simplest form). I think this is fair because it is not reasonable to expect a lot of players to man those tail gunning stations as they can be quite dull for all but the very committed.
  • SlowOldWarrior
    443 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Leave it, it's dumb, but less dumb than spawn beacons.

I've been trying to unlock all the planes, and the bombers have been slower for me - I fight the urge to fly around with 8x .303 Spitfire and wreck bombers. It reminds me of the Gol Magnum tower on Firestorm, flocking to the tower to unlock the gun and getting killed by the people who just unlocked the gun and shoot fish in the barrel who now have to flock to the tower.

The bigger balance question might be why are heavy bombers in the game at all?
  • MSKelly1976
    207 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Whilst I didn't mention it was meant to be a mil-sim, that's surely the whole point of working as a Squad/Team?

Nobody is gonna sit in the gunners seat just waiting for the random times a fighters decides to engage the bomber. In a 20 minute game the might see 20 seconds of game play.
  • skypIaya
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    If I'm not mistaking, people can only spawn in a passenger seat if they are your squad mate. In other BF, It use to be that, any body on the team could spawn with you in the plane. Since there are only 4 people in a squad, the chances that a bomber pilot get's a passenger with him is slim. I think that having any body from the team spawn as a passenger would reduce the amount of seat swapping.
  • Draccon149
    38 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I agree that without seat swapping there's nothing a bomber can do to defend themselves. Plus a majority of people that do jump in the backseat of the bomber could not hit the side of a barn with the MG.

For those of you saying if you seat swap and get rammed its ur own fault. You ramming your plane into another plane is just a noob tactic and this is always done on purpose by the fighter.

Pro Tip: Break off your attack once they seat swap, swing around by the time you swing around they are back in pilot seat and finish them off. I never have problems taking out a bomber in a fighter and do not have to resort to ramming them once they seat swap. Just salty people ram other planes.