[Megathread] SLI and DLSS issues

Comments

• DukeSan27
    1191 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Carbonic wrote: »
    jasonvp wrote: »
    If this is what DICE can do to fix that then Nvidias whole profile system is poorly designed and need to be upgraded to allow SLI AND the game controlling it's own graphics at the same time.

The tools are already there; Dice just chose not to use them. As my quote (that's me, BTW) from Reddit suggested: Check the profile for the specific LOD settings. Dice knows which ones they are, and the NVAPI will let them check those specifically. If those settings (and ONLY those settings) have changed: throw a fault and kick the person out of the game.

Simple, easy, done. SLI users can continue to make changes so they can enjoy using both of their cards, and LOD cheaters get the boot like they deserve.

Instead, Dice took the easy (and potentially legally challenging.. hold for that..) route: change the profile back. Well, as others have stated, it effectively shunts any UAC that Windows has running by using NVAPI. The end user is never alerted that the files are being changed. I.... uh... wonder what Microsoft will think of that when they find out? I'll bet a paycheck they won't like it.

Considering BFV is a Nvidia title and DICE has access to and get help from Nvidia developers directly (RTX and their AI AA) what you are saying doesn't make a lot of sense. So I don't think it's as simple as that. But unless a DICE Frostbite engine programmer or the like appears on here or on Reddit/Twitter I don't think we will have the full story, only speculations.

And since no DICE dev has ever commented on SLI since release, we can continue to speculate.
  • Omenpapa
    6 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/aq70hm/here_is_reasonsolution_why_you_have_dlss_greyed/?utm_source=reddit-android

So I should haver bought a worst vidcard for 1080p... The 2080ti is only supporting dlss for 4k resolution... Wow.
  • Mickelmore89
    23 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Guys, you can't enable DLSS on all resolutions with all GPU's.
    Here is a picture where you can see when you can enable DLSS.

https://imgur.com/dW8ams4
  • ChewGoat
    37 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 14
    Guys, you can't enable DLSS on all resolutions with all GPU's.
    Here is a picture where you can see when you can enable DLSS.

https://imgur.com/dW8ams4

edit maybe not dice fault .
  • jasonvp
    189 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Considering BFV is a Nvidia title and DICE has access to and get help from Nvidia developers directly (RTX and their AI AA) what you are saying doesn't make a lot of sense. So I don't think it's as simple as that.

Sorry Carbonic, but it IS as simple as that. It just takes a bit more effort on Dice's part to make it happen.

Option 1: Tell the NVidia driver, via NVAPI, to fully reset the "Battlefield V" profile.
      Option 2: Check the "Battlefield V" profile via NVAPI to see if the various LOD bits have changed and alert if they have.

Which do you think would take less time and effort to implement? If you said "Choice 1", you win the prize. As much as I love playing Battlefield games, this specific game has been rife with "****" and poorly thought-out solutions to various problems. Our latest LOD vs SLI problem is no different.
      • N3RO645
        2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
        after the dlss update, and driver, i cant get the game to run, im running a rtx 2080, i9-9900k 32gbs ram, nver had a problem till this update,
      • Carbonic
        1568 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
        Considering BFV is a Nvidia title and DICE has access to and get help from Nvidia developers directly (RTX and their AI AA) what you are saying doesn't make a lot of sense. So I don't think it's as simple as that.

Sorry Carbonic, but it IS as simple as that. It just takes a bit more effort on Dice's part to make it happen.

Option 1: Tell the NVidia driver, via NVAPI, to fully reset the "Battlefield V" profile.
          Option 2: Check the "Battlefield V" profile via NVAPI to see if the various LOD bits have changed and alert if they have.

Which do you think would take less time and effort to implement? If you said "Choice 1", you win the prize. As much as I love playing Battlefield games, this specific game has been rife with "****" and poorly thought-out solutions to various problems. Our latest LOD vs SLI problem is no different.
            You sure make it sound simple.
            You have personal experience with NVIDIA's core software development kit and game engines?
          • N3RO645
            2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
            and for the record it seams the repair function isn't working either
          • Sir_Coleslaw
            edited February 14
            Okay, do you have a source for your claims?

I heard of something like this for Final Fantasy 15 as well, but thought that would be a Final Fantasy 15 exclusive **** up.

Edit: Found it myself in this Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/aq6wc8/february_2019_rtx_updates_battlefield_v_dlss/

Idiots...
          • DukeSan27
            1191 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

You have personal experience with NVIDIA's core software development kit and game engines?

If Inspector can read and write to profiles, then so can BFV.
              • Flayra
                1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
                DLSS is looking completely terrible for me. It's like there is a depth of field on everything more than 5 meters away, making everything blurry. Turning off DLSS and keeping Ray Tracing on makes the image clear and normal again.

3440x1440 with RTX 2080 ti

DLSS does make the framerate more steady, but then I might as well play on low quality settings so I can actually see the enemy.
              • Carbonic
                1568 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
                edited February 14
                DukeSan27 wrote: »

It might, but it sounds like an assumption on your part.
                    I only know of Nvidia Inspector that is able to do it, if it's so easy wouldn't there be tons of other applications out there that can do it? Know any?
                    I can't really tell how easy it would be because I don't know how the profiles are encoded, what complexity they have or if they are encrypted. Do you know this?

I will gladly be proven wrong in my assumption that this might not be as easy as it sounds, it means the game can become better quicker :) But I prefer if that happens using facts and not using assumptions of an angry internet train.
                  • DukeSan27

It might, but it sounds like an assumption on your part.
                        I only know of Nvidia Inspector that is able to do it, if it's so easy wouldn't there be tons of other applications out there that can do it? Know any?
                        I can't really tell how easy it would be because I don't know how the profiles are encoded, what complexity they have or if they are encrypted. Do you know this?

As easy as looking up github - https://github.com/Orbmu2k/nvidiaProfileInspector
                      • StreliziaDeWitt
                        160 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
                        Okay, do you have a source for your claims?

I heard of something like this for Final Fantasy 15 as well, but thought that would be a Final Fantasy 15 exclusive **** up.

Edit: Found it myself in this Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/aq6wc8/february_2019_rtx_updates_battlefield_v_dlss/

Idiots...

Kinda silly that they don't support it for lower resolutions.
                      • jasonvp
                        189 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
                        Here's what I'm more curious about: how much about this does Microsoft know? It may matter.

If you have UAC enabled, the changes the game is making to the files in question never cause an alert. Basically, the game is working around UAC to do this. It may be that NVidia already has a buy-off from MS to allow these sorts of things with the NVAPI. But if they don't, then Dice is treading on some dangerous ice here.
                        1. TwinTurbo95
                          5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
                          Anyone had any luck getting the game to open? After I first enabled DXR and DLSS my game will not even launch anymore. I even did a fresh Win 10 install. That did not help.
                        2. DukeSan27
                          Here's what I'm more curious about: how much about this does Microsoft know? It may matter.

If you have UAC enabled, the changes the game is making to the files in question never cause an alert. Basically, the game is working around UAC to do this. It may be that NVidia already has a buy-off from MS to allow these sorts of things with the NVAPI. But if they don't, then Dice is treading on some dangerous ice here.

If its going through an NVdia API then it may not need to write directly there.

Some NVidia service, which is already running elevated, might be serving the API and hence be able to write to it.
                          1. Carbonic
                            I'm not sure it's as simple as looking at the Nvidia Inspector github code, but I hope it is.
                          2. sKutDeath
                            22 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
                            This is really Bullsnip! First no SLI in DX12 with DXR, and now no DLSS support for 3440 x 1440??? WTF??? How much longer is this going to take FFS!!!
                          3. IAM4D7
                            5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
                            I suspect many of the Origin Premier Access members are SLI users, so I would encourage you (EA Dice) to implement a more savvy method of countering the LOD hacks. We as a community often times use tools such as the nvidia profile inspector to create legitimate SLI profiles that without, would make your poorly optimized console ports unplayable. I for one will certainly cancel my subscription to OPA if this is the standard practice for keeping your player base happy.
                            • Fix this now
                            • Hire better software developers
                            • Blatant tactics such as this truly show your technical prowess as coders
                            • If by solving one problem creates a larger problem (LOD hack < SLI users) do not proceed

That is all