STUG IV

EliteLima
153 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
As a former World of Tanks player.... Isnt STUG IV a Tank Destroyer? Why jackfrags mentioned it as medium tank? Clearly the shell velocity in that tank is also faster.

What you guys think?

Comments

• GuangFuZhongGuo
    410 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    expect no historical correctness from BFV.
  • razor3dgeog
    5 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The shell velocity is higher, or at least it seems that way, it took a few games to get used to leading targets and calculating drop compared to the panzer IV. It is technically a medium tank being derived from the panzer IV hull.

It's an absolute monster of a tank if you have a dedicated crew on the MG's. Use it like a mobile field gun to take out enemies/tanks on objectives and then just crawl up and let the front gunner void birth certificates from the safety of inside the hull.

10/10 tank, possibly the best content added so far
  • Hawxxeye
    7748 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The allies counterpart, the archer tank comming next week will probably be way less popular than the stug.
    Its cannon is facing backwards like those war trucks on BF1.
    The thing that makes the STUG good is that MG turret that unlike all those exposed top seats actually does its job
  • M_Rat13
    1505 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    The allies counterpart, the archer tank comming next week will probably be way less popular than the stug.
    The thing that makes the STUG good is that MG turret that unlike all those exposed top seats actually does its job

Although, you either need to seat swap, which could get your tank 'stolen' by an ally, or have a gunner.

Why doesn't it have a coaxial machine gun anyway?
  • Stahlmach
    1156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Dice has a strong Bias against german tanks, so relax. The Archer will totally outclass the Stug.
  • Stahlmach
    1156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2019
    EliteLima wrote: »
    As a former World of Tanks player.... Isnt STUG IV a Tank Destroyer? Why jackfrags mentioned it as medium tank? Clearly the shell velocity in that tank is also faster.

What you guys think?

Dice has absolutly no knowledge about WW 2 Vehicles besides looking once at a Wikipedia page. The Stug IV in the Game is another example for that. Its was directly build as a Tank Destroyer due to the experiences on the eastern Front. Therefore it had by default the long 7,5-cm-StuK 40 L/48. But Dice makes it look like a Stug III with the stub cannon as default.
    Oh and Jackfrags is on the same level as Dice when it comes to his historical and military knowledge.
  • EliteLima
    153 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Stahlmach wrote: »

What you guys think?

Dice has absolutly no knowledge about WW 2 Vehicles besides looking once at a Wikipedia page. The Stug IV in the Game is another example for that. Its was directly build as a Tank Destroyer due to the experiences on the eastern Front. Therefore it had by default the long 7,5-cm-StuK 40 L/48. But Dice makes it look like a Stug III with the stub cannon as default.
    Oh and Jackfrags is on the same level as Dice when it comes to his historical and military knowledge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturmgeschütz_IV

Yup, its a TD

Also prooven here

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Tank:G104_Stug_IV
  • M_Rat13
    1505 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

What you guys think?

And I still stand by that the short 75 looks dumb AF on this vehicle.
  • Marine_IraHayes2
    237 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member
    With my settings for moving other tanks I gotta figure out something else. When I’m in first person view and try to move in one direction it moves the opposite. Totally throwing me off.
  • Marine_IraHayes2
    237 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member
    With my settings for moving other tanks I gotta figure out something else. When I’m in first person view and try to move in one direction it moves the opposite. Totally throwing me off.

Using DS4 controls. Maybe it’s not a problem on PC.
  • jlayton1982
    162 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Dice has a strong Bias against german tanks, so relax. The Archer will totally outclass the Stug.

So it should. Back into an ambush position with a beast of a gun and a low silhouette, fire then race forward, away from the enemy to find a new position.
  • WinterWarhurst
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2019
    StuG is short for Sturmgeschütz. Its literal translation is "assault gun". It is a form of self-propelled artillery. Arguably it is the StuK 40 (the long barrelled 7.5cm) that makes it a "tank destroyer" whereas with the stubby 7.5cm (that was typically on the StuG IIIs, etc.) you'd refer to that as simply an assault gun.

In regards to stats, they are the same as those respective cannons on the Pz. IV although the AP round is slightly faster:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1D7wkyXjO1XzYwqbkRb56J0UfAHUdS8GF-XHJRbzopsk/htmlview#
  • M_Rat13

So it should. Back into an ambush position with a beast of a gun and a low silhouette, fire then race forward, away from the enemy to find a new position.

Well, backwards in the Archers case ;)

I'll give this to the Stug though, the stock gun (don't know about the upgraded one yet) is one of the best anti infantry weapons in the game. Of course, it'd be nice if I didn't have to shoot at infantry becuase my gunners are brain dead. Literally died to a Staghound becuase I had to kill a Rambo Assault myself. My gunner was too busy trying to kill the Staghound with his machinegun lol.

Overall, a nice machine, but only if you get a good gunner in it. You can't just drive it solo like some other tanks, thanks to a lack of turret and no coaxial.