The Sturmgeschütz IV what do you think?

Cerben1
304 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
The Sturmgeschütz IV i was really happy that this was added to the game. but im not sure if i like it.

first of it starts of whit the stug III gun that it never had.(75 mm StuK 37L/24 gun or some thing like that)
and after lvling it up and get the right gun on it (7.5 cm StuK 40 L/48 ) it feel weak it dose less dmg i think then the base gun and medium and light Tanks are the intended pray not Heavy tanks as they can take to many of its shoots what i know of.
even whit fully upgraded Engine and armoured skirts its still realy weak.
medium armor eats it up fast sure its an Assault gun but whit an big gun that have some impressive penetration of armor but in game it feels like the base one is more effective at taking out armor due to dmg. i can be wrong but thats how i feel.

do i have it all wrong or do the 7.5cm stuK 40L/48 have more glacing hits then the base one or im i just unlucky gone try the AP rounds this time around and see if that helps. im currently hiting tower and tracks to get them crippled but not so good i gess im better of whit an medium tank or the Tiger for now. wold love an Elefant but thats me =)

positive thing is that its some thing diffrent and adds some good co gunner action whit the mg from hull and it feels good in game to drive and the rang is good on the main gun.

any spec that is better and what do you use?

Comments

• WinterWarhurst
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    My first round with it stock I went on a 45 streak with it. It's really good. The cannons have the same damage output and stats as the two cannons on the Pz. IV. Rear and side damage multipliers are the same, but its frontal armour is stronger with a 0.8x multiplier.

I would use the upgraded StuK 40 with HE & AP. OHK within about 1.5m radius with splash, and both rounds are great against tanks.
  • M_Rat13
    1505 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hold up, so the stock gun is better than the upgraded gun? Have I got that right?
  • jlayton1982
    162 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    M_Rat13 wrote: »
    Hold up, so the stock gun is better than the upgraded gun? Have I got that right?

The stock gun, short barrel, was an assualt gun used to support infantry advances with High Explosive shells. It was later issued with High Explosive Anti Tank shells from what I remember, playing Warthunder.
  • Cerben1
    304 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

im just asking that my self as i have alot of glancing hits whit it. but i think the full time Tank ppl will know more about it then me
  • M_Rat13
    1505 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

The stock gun, short barrel, was an assualt gun used to support infantry advances with High Explosive shells. It was later issued with High Explosive Anti Tank shells from what I remember, playing Warthunder.

I'm asking about ingame. Should I get the upgraded gun or not? It sounds like I shouldn't.
  • jlayton1982
    162 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Stahlmach wrote: »

Except that the Stug IV was right from the start designed as a Tank Destroyer and never had the Stub cannon. What Dice is " presenting " us here is a Stug III which you can " upgrade " into a Stug IV.
    So as always, lazy work by Dice combined with no knowledge about WW 2 Vehicles.

I mentioned that fact in another thread. They should've just made the Stug III for in game.. I suppose having the Panzer IV shell, led them onto the Stug IV.

I'd like a Panzer III with long barrel 50mm to compete with the Valentine 6 pounder.
  • VincentNZ
    3885 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Stahlmach wrote: »

Except that the Stug IV was right from the start designed as a Tank Destroyer and never had the Stub cannon. What Dice is " presenting " us here is a Stug III which you can " upgrade " into a Stug IV.
    So as always, lazy work by Dice combined with no knowledge about WW 2 Vehicles.

I mentioned that fact in another thread. They should've just made the Stug III for in game.. I suppose having the Panzer IV shell, led them onto the Stug IV.

I'd like a Panzer III with long barrel 50mm to compete with the Valentine 6 pounder.

Yeah we do not have the Panzer III, so we can not have the STUG III. That basically explains it. I wouldn't call it lazy though, it is just a more convenient solution. Otherwise it would be just another vehicle that clutters your menu, and we have enough of that.
  • WinterWarhurst
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Better splash damage against infantry but worse velocity and damage against vehicles, that’s the trade off. (ROF is very similar but the short barrelled is slightly faster)
  • M_Rat13
    edited February 2019

Better splash damage against infantry but worse velocity and damage against vehicles, that’s the trade off. (ROF is very similar but the short barrelled is slightly faster)

But you can also increase the ROF of the short barrel 75mm. So wouldn't that even out the DPM/DPS against vehicles?
  • WinterWarhurst

But you can also increase the ROF of the short barrel 75mm. So wouldn't that even out the DPM/DPS against vehicles?

Yeah but it’s only by 10%, I’d take it with the upgraded cannon tbh and use AP
  • M_Rat13

It's not like that. It's either upgraded cannon or ROF buff, not both.
  • WinterWarhurst

Sorry I was ambiguous, but 'it' I meant the Stug, not upgraded ROF!
  • M_Rat13

I guess part of me just doesn't trust my gunners so I want my main gun to be able to kill infantry for me. I still can't decide how to spec it however. Thanks to gunning in others, I'm rank 4 though, so I just need to make up my mind. I guess S-mines could help alleviate my worries? Also, side skirts or quick repair?
  • ElSamuel04
    115 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Nothing special. Is like a mobile artillery. You don't have mg , only main gun so is not effective vs infantry. The good thing is you have gunner inside that can turn 360 the mg. Panther 4 still the best medium tank for German.

This tank this only good in defensive purposes , it lack the flexibility of panther 38 and 4.
  • StealthAria
    576 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2019
    Side skirts are probably the better option, quick repair let's you get your tracks or whatever back up instantly but only gives you 10% health back and can only be triggered if something actually gets broken. Whenever I choose quick repair I end up dying without ever being able to activate it, but my side skirts have actually saved me by bouncing shots that otherwise would have gotten caught in my tracks, giving me a chance to pull out, repair up and approach from a different angle.

The StuG's side skirts also offer the benefit of providing cover from small arms fire to anyone that feels like taking a ride on your tracks, be they repair monkeys, extra gunners or whatever.
  • WinterWarhurst

I guess part of me just doesn't trust my gunners so I want my main gun to be able to kill infantry for me. I still can't decide how to spec it however. Thanks to gunning in others, I'm rank 4 though, so I just need to make up my mind. I guess S-mines could help alleviate my worries? Also, side skirts or quick repair?

IMO use thr StuG for its proper role which is as a tank destroyer... So take advantage of your low profile and frontal 0.8x armour, and use the upgraded StuK 40 with AP. During frontal engagements aim for the tracks on heavies and mediums, it will do max damage. For Stag hit the wheel once to disable then hit the turret for max damage. HE will OHK infantry within about 1.5m. Beyond the role that this tank was designed for, it will be a bit of a novelty tbh.

If you want to be aggressive and push flags, etc. Just use a Panzer IV. If you really must use a StuG, make sure you have a damn good gunner and dedicated rep that you’re on comms with.

• Forsaken_Lucifer
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It really is as previously stated a poor addition too the lineup of Vehicles for the game. it is far too easily destroyed with the plethora of anti tank and explosives in game and the lack of infantry support that this Tank Destroy requires to be Effective.

If they really wanted to Balance out the game even semi equally in the Vehicle department the better choice would have been to Add either the Jagdpanzer IV, Sd.Kfz. 162 or The Jagdpanther, Sd.Kfz. 173 to balance out with the more Beefy damage the the Churchill Gun Carrier can absorb.
  • StealthAria
    576 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

IMO use thr StuG for its proper role which is as a tank destroyer... So take advantage of your low profile and frontal 0.8x armour, and use the upgraded StuK 40 with AP. During frontal engagements aim for the tracks on heavies and mediums, it will do max damage. For Stag hit the wheel once to disable then hit the turret for max damage. HE will OHK infantry within about 1.5m. Beyond the role that this tank was designed for, it will be a bit of a novelty tbh.

If you want to be aggressive and push flags, etc. Just use a Panzer IV. If you really must use a StuG, make sure you have a damn good gunner and dedicated rep that you’re on comms with.

The StuG IV (as we got it) isn't any smaller than the Pz. IV, it just has a lower sitting main gun and a larger silhouette with no turret. The top of the StuG IV ends up sitting exactly the same height as the Pz. IV. The only real benefit to choosing it over the Pz IV is that it has tougher front armor and can fire faster.
  • WinterWarhurst

The StuG IV (as we got it) isn't any smaller than the Pz. IV, it just has a lower sitting main gun and a larger silhouette with no turret. The top of the StuG IV ends up sitting exactly the same height as the Pz. IV. The only real benefit to choosing it over the Pz IV is that it has tougher front armor and can fire faster.

It seemed lower profile to me in game. IRL it's nearly 2 feet shorter, that's almost the height of the turret!

The rate of fire is the same for StuG & Pz. IV (20 or 18 RPM depending on cannon choice) unless you choose the 10% increase which I think makes a very minor difference.

I haven't lined a StuG IV up side by side with a Pz. IV but I recall the profile being lower. IRL The StuG IV is almost 2 feet lower, which is significant.