Combined Arms Stat Padding

Comments

• gibonez
    296 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Who cares if it does. Stats are pointless.
  • Trokey66
    8171 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I think you are looking far to deep into why people play video games, especially amongst the older generation.

For many, this is a purely recreational activity, played socially with liked minded people on line.

They don't play it to improve, they play to have fun. Any improvement is a happy by product of that fun and interaction but not the sole reason for playing.
  • 5hadyBrady
    404 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Trokey66 wrote: »
    I think you are looking far to deep into why people play video games, especially amongst the older generation.

For many, this is a purely recreational activity, played socially with liked minded people on line.

They don't play it to improve, they play to have fun. Any improvement is a happy by product of that fun and interaction but not the sole reason for playing.

Yes you are right. There's an overwhelming amount of players who don't play to improve, but instead play to have fun. That's the entire reason I've written the wall of text out of frustration. It's this clash in philosophy that's ruining games. Half of the people playing are trying to win, and the other half are just moping around entertaining themselves because they're being taught the competition doesn't matter, and it's only about having fun. That's completely false , and if you want to encourage that sort of behavior, then be consistent. Allow people to use hacks, or ram planes into each other, or do whatever it is they feel is fun for them. You can't have it both ways.
  • V2Face
    2648 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Lmao stat padding against AI. Just when you thought the bar couldn’t get any lower.
  • JPhysics
    804 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    @Trokey66
    I respect these points don't mean anyrhing to you, but it does to a large proportion of gamers today. Enough research and surveys exist to support this.
    Having fun in early generation gaming involved single players experiences. When online gaming became a thing it became more competitive (perhaps not to everyone) and statistics became significient towards monitoring a players performance.
    Everyone has fun gaming, but people get there high points in different ways. This game hook may not appeal to you, but you are probably victim to another hook elsewhere in the game.
  • Trokey66
    8171 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It would appear that we are both right and yet wrong.......

https://www.teachthought.com/learning/why-people-play-video-games/

Never the less, it is true to say that improvement is not the sole reason to play video games.
  • JPhysics
    804 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It not about who's right or wrong, I'm simply explaining why studios have statistics against players in the first place. That link you posted there only empatheses it more. I never said improvement is the sole purpose why people play, I said it is one of many hooks in the game that appeals to players. It's a way of monitoring progress, progress is a major hook in gaming today.
  • CloneTrooperCT
    233 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Can you finish skin assignment for guns in combined arms?
  • JPhysics
    You can complete any which don't relate to objective areas, as CA objectives aren't defined as objective areas as they are in the assignments.
  • craig1911
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Llordus wrote: »
    Who really cares about such garbage?
    Assignments - those are the worst prepared assignment in whole BF serie ever.
    Stats? Who cares? How would you compare stats someone playing conquest only and other playing breakthrough only? It is not possible, because even with same skill, you can have different results due to each mode specific. They are not comparable by definition - so why bother with such ****?

What the hell happened just to pure pleasure of playing the game with other people? Why not enjoy the benefits given by frostengine - destruction, nice combination of infantry and vehicles etc?
    Assignments or stats? Garbage not worty to mention...

The game has gotten stale and fast. There are no new maps and we only have 9, not only that but tanks are completely useless in this game and you are far better just running assault so all vehicle game play except planes (which are OP and i refuse to use) is gone. The only thing i was using to give myself a goal was improving my stats and trying to do the assignments which now because you can cheat the system i see no point in. Oh and lots of people care about their stats, just because you suck at the game and don't want to look at them doesn't mean everyone else doesn't.
  • Woodlbrad
    558 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Who cares this game isn't competative.
  • disposalist
    8476 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    So only a small proportion of players actually care about stats? So why does a large proportion seem to play as if the death is real? Camping is just awful.

If the stat-padding from Combined Arms somehow 'ruins' it for those that prize KD and the like above actually playing the objectives, then, GOOD.
  • disposalist
    8476 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    5hadyBrady wrote: »
    ...I'm so tired of people saying "who cares , I'm having fun". That's not why people play games, contrary to popular belief. Yes games are fun, but not because you're doing whatever you want. Games are fun because it's fun to grow and develop competence. It's responsible for everything that evolves, and no amount of "sweaty tryhard" memes are going to stop people from being competitive. I would rather hurt the feelings of the incompetent kid and help them develop competence, than I would tell the same kid "it's not about whether or not you're competent, it's whether or not you're having fun". <~ this is going to be a real problem if it's taught regularly to people.
    Games are literally for having fun. What you're describing is nearer to some kind of competitive activity or sport.

There is a difference between games having an objective or an aim or a skill to hone; and being some kind of competition where achievements and statistics and beating other people are all important.

For most people (in my experience) as soon as something starts being more than a little competitive, it stops being fun.

Yes, some people only seem to enjoy the competitive aspect. Some people are simply competitive by nature. Those people generally need to chill the freak out. Again, in my experience, when a group is playing a game and 'those kind of people' turn up, everyone else starts to make their excuses to leave.

For Battlefield, specifically, being 'competitive' can be ok, but when it relates to stats, it means the objectives go out of the window and you aren't even really playing with everyone else anymore.

I use the example of medals and achievements, which I *do* like to do. I like to challenge myself and play with varying side-aims in mind. I do *not* however, do this unless my team is comfortably winning, because if I did, I would be letting the side down. In my opinion, when players play for stats instead of thinking "what does the team need me to do to help us win?" they are being selfish because you happily risk ruining everyone's fun.
  • Digger_CB
    73 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Llordus wrote: »
    Who really cares about such garbage?
    Assignments - those are the worst prepared assignment in whole BF serie ever.
    Stats? Who cares? How would you compare stats someone playing conquest only and other playing breakthrough only? It is not possible, because even with same skill, you can have different results due to each mode specific. They are not comparable by definition - so why bother with such ****?

What the hell happened just to pure pleasure of playing the game with other people? Why not enjoy the benefits given by frostengine - destruction, nice combination of infantry and vehicles etc?
    Assignments or stats? Garbage not worty to mention...

Just a comment on the destruction I wish they kept the same level of destruction as Bad Company two, it was effective in both creating a bit of cover for snipers and also reducing spots for standard infantry to camp on obj. Was a shame that this level of destruction has been reduced to the level it is.
  • JPhysics
    edited February 18
    Game stats are there to reflect your gamestyle and performance, but they can be manipulated to some degree. I myself frown on players playing for stats, yet players do it. It often takes them away from the objective or whats needs to be done, but in their mindset thats their way of having fun even if it is at the expense of the team. Then again I've found alot of people who play for fun aren't bothered if they win or lose, which isn't exactly helpful when the goal of the game is to win.
    Getting back to combined arms though, I still believe the stats should be seperated from multiplayer so that you differentiate between the two. A player can look back at their stats to see if they are improving, its a personal challenge to them. Devs are aware of this hence why they add this hook into games, just like assignments and unlocks.
  • hawkseye17
    577 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    To be honest I could care less about stats. I just want to complete those dumb assignments
  • HMWA_XI
    70 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    No one cares about your "stats" nor has anyone ever cared, the only one that has ever looked at them is you.
  • craigerswuzhere
    103 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    5hadyBrady wrote: »
    The "only" reason I play the game? What happened to playing games for fun?
    If the only reason you play is to 'Kill 25 enemies while attacking objectives in a vehicle' or to brag to your friends about a good K/D in BFV (a game most people don't seem to care about), that's kinda sad.

I'll explain this to you because not a lot of people seem to understand the concept of games anymore. Playing "for fun" is selfish. If I join a baseball team and I decide I want to run around the field with my shirt off, because "it's fun", that would make me selfish. You're having fun at the expense of everybody else. This happens all the time in Battlefield games. Players are inclined to go rambo and play their own little game inside of the game, and everybody else suffers as a consequence. Competition is what drives the game. It's a simulation. When you build systems that allow the least competent people to stack on the top of the ladder, it destroys the entire structure of the game. Even if you don't understand why, or care about the competition. The competition is real. Competence is real. The fun is in growing and expanding your competence by addressing your weaknesses other players exploit. It's fun learn and grow as you become more competent. That's the point of games. Games are meant to be competitive. There's a reason why sports are the worlds favorite pastime.
    So I guess I will explain this to you since you don't seem to understand the point I was trying to make. Have you ever seen a baseball player slide into second safely and then do a Fortnite dance? During a real actual game, not an exhibition? You see, he was having fun without hurting his team. After a team scores a touchdown in football, they are allowed to celebrate again because it's fun. People gave the NFL the No Fun League nickname for a reason. When games started out long ago, there was only one player modes, no multiplayer and with no stats for the longest time. Games were made with the intentions of having fun. If they were not meant to be fun, they would all be puzzle and trivia games. They still make one player only games that don't hold competitions. Should someone not have fun playing Tomb Raider? Joining a regular server in BF is in no way shape or form a "competition". Maybe a couple guys (like you) are playing very competitive, but the rest are playing for fun and still trying to win. How bad do you think these "least competent people's" stats were before they started padding? How long would it take their already horrible stats to become meaningful? Usually all the top players in the world run in clans or squads together, these players would not play with a fake player stat padder.

• craig1911
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    HMWA_XI wrote: »
    No one cares about your "stats" nor has anyone ever cared, the only one that has ever looked at them is you.

At what point did i ever say i cared what you think about my stats i only care about mine and how i stack up against others so i can improve but when everyone has a 4.0 kd and crazy Score/min and kill/min it makes that impossible. Just because you don't care doesn't mean others don't.