Weekly BF

Can we finally admit attrition was a terrible addition to battlefield?

Pelliy
2228 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
edited February 18
It made more players passive, the game is not fun. You heal up and a random explosion or a random spray bullet tagged you, taking away your heal.

This would make sense in a 5v5 game. Attrition in a chaotic game is absurd. I really hope it does not return in the series.

Same with ammo attrition. I was convinced that this was okay. It's not. It's bad too. You can keep the grenade timers the same but also needs to get rid of that Attrition also.

Comments

• NLBartmaN
    3486 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I don't mind attrition for infantry, did not ran out of ammo more than 10 times and when I attack from close combat range I am medic so can heal myself.
    Also makes solo playing harder, which "forces" egocentric K/D / stats ratio players to stay closer to their team.

Supportive classes also have more use/influence now, which is a good thing.

But attrition for vehicles it is completely ridiculous and should be removed.

And I don't think atrrition is the cause of all the passive camping playing, that is caused by the insane TTK, accuracy, too many 3x scopes and the (now better) visibilty.
  • Pelliy
    2228 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    NLBartmaN wrote: »
    I don't mind attrition for infantry, did not ran out of ammo more than 10 times and when I attack from close combat range I am medic so can heal myself.
    Also makes solo playing harder, which "forces" egocentric K/D / stats ratio players to stay closer to their team.

Supportive classes also have more use/influence now, which is a good thing.

But attrition for vehicles it is completely ridiculous and should be removed.

And I don't think atrrition is the cause of all the passive camping playing, that is caused by the insane TTK, accuracy, too many 3x scopes and the (now better) visibilty.

Totally conradicts what you're trying to say. Why would you punish a person trying to fight amongst the fray and reward a vehicle that is likely tank sniping or whatever.

If vehicle attrition is gone to, I'll take that. I just want attrition gone. Generally speaking, Sometimes you can have 64 players In a server and you and maybe someone else are the only two people really playing. Everyone else is cleaning their keyboards or something. Idk. Running benchmarks.
  • X_Sunslayer_X
    991 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    the current iteration of "attrition" is so watered down from what we had in the alphas it is next to nonexistent 95% of the time.
    back then we had 0 health regeneration only 2 magazines tops no stations to resupply on whatsoever then it was a challenge then it took thought to overcome but now im sorry might as well be turned off then we can all play assault and support and be done with it.
    if DICE actually stood with their original vision I'd say yes but as they listened to feed-back they figured ppl dont want it and what we have now is the hollow husk of what they envisioned for BFV filled with more bad design choices and last minute changes to a half-baked product
  • aRrAyStArTaT0
    786 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yes, attrition is a bad game design. And I'm saying that since alpha test. But I guess we will "enjoy" it until active support of bfv is over.

Attrition isn't bad game design by itself. It's attrition in the way it's implemented that makes it bad. Vehicles especially. So many contradictions make it nearly impossible to make sense of anything.
    Lots of other games have attrition-like systems and were executed much better. BFV just seems confused in it's own implementation.
  • ninjapenquinuk
    1925 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    They have watered down attrition as it is. Some of you guys are obviously top notch, but for me the majority of the time i'm either at 100 health or dead. Its rare im running around at low heath and rarely run out of ammo unless i am attacking totally alone somewhere. I do think tanks could do with a bit more starting ammo though.
  • One_Called_Kane
    191 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 18
    I usually play with a squad of competent players, so on the infantry side of life I don't really have a problem with attrition. However whenever I'm gunning for our tanker the number of times we have had to take our completely intact tank off of a push to run back to an ammo resupply station is nothing short of ridiculous.
    Tanks run with something like a quarter of their loadout capacity which is nonsense. They already deal with attrition in the form of modular damage, their combat capability does not justify the ammo restrictions on top of that.
  • NLBartmaN
    3486 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Pelliy wrote: »
    Totally conradicts what you're trying to say. Why would you punish a person trying to fight amongst the fray and reward a vehicle that is likely tank sniping or whatever.

All down to numbers, limited vehicles with totally different gunplay between them/resupply options.

Vehicles don't have ammo crates and pouches (from killed infantry) everywhere on a map, only the limited resupply stations that half of the time are destroyed and can't be repaired from inside the vehicle.

One hit is enough to make the road to a resupply station take half a round.

Resupply stations are limited and visible for everyone and easy trap spots with mines and waiting assaults or waiting fighter planes, but you don't have a different option then going there.

You are an idiot is you get out of/go far from spawn with a vehicle, you are basically screwed if you take a hit or did one tank battle and are not near a safe resupply station

Infantry don't have these issues and lots of other players that can help them.
  • Piotrek1983pm
    344 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I disagree!
  • PackersDK
    775 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I agree.

I think Dice did it to force players to be more squad oriented. And that is laudable. But as always not all players will fall in line. In this case a substantiel part, me included.

And we’ll have to find other ways to deal with attrition. Like playing cautious. Staying close to supply dumps. Or close to non-squad teammates, if their own squad is all scouts or assault.

I do think we’re kinda stuck with it in BFV, but I hope they’ll drop it next game.
  • Hawxxeye
    6073 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 18
    The infantry attrition is livable.
    The vehicle one is awful especially as far as damage is concerned. Needing external repair or a ressuply station each time one of the 134532453462354 assaults scores a hit on you is asinine
  • xKusagamix
    998 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 18
    Infantry attrition is fine, i barely run out of ammo. Plane after the lastest patch with faster rearm is also fine.
    Tanks however is a pain to use, 18 rounds for a Tiger Tank, what do i supposed to do with that? camping at supply station or ramming enemy with the speed of a turtle?
    Tanks are slow, without speed boost, turret traverse and limited ammo, harder and slower to rearm and get chances of no usable Supply station near by.
  • DropInDropOut
    353 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I don't mind attrition at all. I do however think there should be a 3-4 second wait time after being shot before you can self-heal. I hate shooting someone for 70+ damage only to have them run behind a rock, self heal, and then require 3 more shots to kill instead of one. This is especially problematic with medics who can just go from cover to cover healing and not fighting back until you get right next to them and they spray you down. This is of course a valid strategy as a medic, especially considering their limited range weapons, but a timer would at least hinder it a little bit. If I'm using a rifle I shouldn't need to shoot someone 10 times in less than 20 seconds to kill them because they kept healing in between every 2 of my shots.