Can we finally admit attrition was a terrible addition to battlefield?

Comments

• bigiain
    235 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm not sure what attrition is actually supposed to have added. The supply stations make medics and supports less useful, the crates not really working at launch do the same. It doesn't really add fun and the only skill is knowing where all the supply stations are.
  • AngryArmyBoiii
    1 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    So as i understand this attrition and all it problems is the bactracking and time consumtion especialy with vehicles, i agree with the vehicle attrition meaning tanks beeing worse than other classes, but i have to disagree to a point cause it only takes time away when you are not close to a supply station, which by now most should have gotten a feeling for where it is and atleast plan your attack with your situation in mind. However i must point that ammo/health crates from allies should get an icon above so that a person near would atleast notice it easier + combat role engineer that support has should get a skill beside faster reapairing like ressuplying a tank or something along those lines.
  • narnold700
    282 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Overall I think attrition was a great addition to the game, but I tend to like milsim play a bit more then arcade so yea.... Personally I wish they had left the hardcore attrition system in place from alpha.
  • Astr0damus
    2901 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Only time I see an issue is with vehicles, some have to go so out of the way. But with infantry, when you pull out the hammer, medic and ammo boxes pop up everywhere. What surprises me is the number of times other players aren't building and taking advantage of them.

People play BF to shoot people, not build things. Most don't want to waste time building that crap, because its spending time away from the fighting.

You should get residual points from people (including enemies) grabbing ammo from the ammo-depot you built.. I'm talking like 3-5 points per person who grabs ammo. This would encourage more building of ammo and health depots.
  • disposalist
    8442 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Agreed. It's one of the many hardcore-lite features in BF5 that I'm sure sounded like 'a cool idea' on the drawing board but added all together makes the game frustrating and un-fun.
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ZombieGent wrote: »
    Pelliy wrote: »
    XxmOss72xX wrote: »
    I disagree. It's a challenge to be sure, but I think it adds another level to the game. Don't get me wrong, I see and understand your perspective completely, I just think attrition makes battlefield more like a battlefield which is why I like the game.

I disagree. It makes battlefield, fear field. No one really moves. It's also really frustrating when you get BS deaths door to low ticks of hp left.

It's not making people work as a team. Instead it's doing the opposite. People hiding not doing anything.

Never seen a team hiding doing nothing

Neither have I, most players seem to be moving around plenty in my experience. It's trying to get them to hold an objective for awhile that's the tough part.
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah, I hate attrition. It's just not fun having to run around looking for boxes or hoping that a medic will be kind enough to spare you a medic pouch as you sit at 40hp.

And vehicles, that slow crawl (heavy tanks) back to a supply point only to find it needs to be built is just... ugh. Then if you get out to build it, whoops, Johnny Random just teleported into your tank and is making off with it.

If you're a lone wolf player then you can expect this sort of thing. If you're playing in a squad that works together this isn't an issue. BF is supposed to be about teamwork, more players should try that.
  • CHAMMOND1992
    1030 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Hated it at first, now I'm used to it. Although I am always reminded how stupid it is to run to the ammo supply station at the start of the round. Also, BF1 is slower than BFV is just about every way, its not even close.
  • una322
    121 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    tbh its worse because it doesnt really add anything fun to the game. it also lowers the amout of longer fights because people run out of heal or ammo ext. with health regen, even if its unrealistic it works and has been a staple in fps for a reason, it keeps people in the fight longer and in a game based on big battles, it helps that a tone. right now most fights in the game are small skirmish fights , and that just doesnt suit bf tbh.
  • spartanx169x
    694 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    bran1986 wrote: »
    I think it created more problems than it solved, especially when it comes to class and weapon balance.

That's another thing too, the mess that is class balance is partly due to DICE trying to balance things around attrition. It's remarkable how bad attrition has been for the game.

to steal a line from the movie Jurassic Park (modified for this situation). the Developers(DICE) were preoccupied with accomplishment. So they were focused on whether they could do the attrition system, they never stopped to ask if they should do the attrition system.

I can see it being a thing for ESports, but it certainly appears it has hurt the gameplay and as a consequence hurt the playerbase. Is it the number one factor? Who knows. But its hard to argue it not a factor.
  • Psychloan
    74 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Get shot for 98 damage, somehow kill your opponent, check for others, nobody else anywhere near, Ok start healing. You heal to 4% and *Zing* a random bullet from a fight on the other side of the map "suppressed" you, stopped the healing, and your med pack is gone. Yeah, fun.
  • CaptainHardware
    302 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Vehicle attrition makes some sense, mainly that aircraft should never have had unlimited ammo in battlefield.

Infantry attrition is a bad idea, and the idea of spawning with limited ammo is not only terrible for the player, it's contributing to how broken the balance between classes and between tanks and infantry in the game is.
  • hawkseye17
    577 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I've been saying it since day 1. There's a reason past BF titles have a separate core and hardcore modes
  • Pelliy
    2204 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    ZombieGent wrote: »
    XxmOss72xX wrote: »
    I disagree. It's a challenge to be sure, but I think it adds another level to the game. Don't get me wrong, I see and understand your perspective completely, I just think attrition makes battlefield more like a battlefield which is why I like the game.

I disagree. It makes battlefield, fear field. No one really moves. It's also really frustrating when you get BS deaths door to low ticks of hp left.

It's not making people work as a team. Instead it's doing the opposite. People hiding not doing anything.

Never seen a team hiding doing nothing

Play breakthrough or airborne
  • Pelliy
    2204 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    GrizzGolf wrote: »
    It made more players passive, the game is not fun. You heal up and a random explosion or a random spray bullet tagged you, taking away your heal.

This would make sense in a 5v5 game. Attrition in a chaotic game is absurd. I really hope it does not return in the series.

Same with ammo attrition. I was convinced that this was okay. It's not. It's bad too. You can keep the grenade timers the same but also needs to get rid of that Attrition also.

Its not that bad. I got use to it after awhile

I got use to it it's still bad.
  • Pelliy
    What attrition???

Good job you weren't old enough to play battlefield 2, that really was attrition......and nobody cried about it.

Who's cares. BF 2 wasn't the most successful BF title and neither is bfv.

The legacy argument is not a convincing one.