I can't get better at this game and I'm not sure what to do next...

124»

Comments

• GrislyAccord
    26 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Try playing medic and focus on being the teamplayer. I know not getting kills suck. But I rather not get kills and instead support my team

This is me, exactly. I've had some TERRIBLE games on BF5. Similar to what the OP said: death after death after death. And just randomly. Shot to death repeatedly only moments after spawning.

But I started playing medic and it's a LOT of fun. I don't care that much about my K/D and I've landed on the BEST SQUAD screen twice now and have had the best medic score a couple of times. Just in the last week alone.

I even had a guy tell me in one game I was the best medic he'd ever seen. Which made me feel pretty damned good, even though it's not even CLOSE to being true. Haha.

But it's a lot of fun. I've only played other classes if I need to fulfill an assignment or smoke a tank that's sitting on an objective.

I pop a LOT of smoke, though, to cover my **** while i'm reviving people. I'm surprised the whole map isn't just covered in it. On those maps where the fog rolls in, I smile and think, "I DID that!" :smiley:
  • Halcyon_Creed_N7
    1318 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I get what you mean, OP. There are some matches where it feels like you just can't do anything and there's always an enemy that's got you in their sights. It's the spawn system that's at fault in most of those situations. Spawn on an uncontested flag, and it seems to put you right in front of a squad of enemies moving to take it. Spawn on a squadmate, it just so happens an enemy rounds a corner and shoots you before you can move. Spawn on a contested flag, it places you halfway across the map where you're sniped by some random camper. Spawn in a teammate's vehicle, it gets blown up immediately etc.

This kind of thing happens to everybody, the thing is that this game is especially unforgiving in those situations because of the low TTK and lack of spotting, so you get shot and you can't find the enemy fast enough to retaliate before you die. And this game really rewards very defensive play, including camping. It's easier to get kills if you move off to the side somewhere and shoot enemies in the back trying to approach an objective than it is to go toe to toe on objectives.
  • narnold700
    282 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Sounds like you are already making progress with your controls which will help a lot. Just don't keep changing sensitivity around though find one that works best for say mid range combat and leave it alone. If you can switch DPI on the fly I'd only be doing so to take extreme long range shots, but like I said generally leave it alone so you build muscle memory. Also think about your other controls such as your keyboard. Really think about maybe changing a few bindings around if you find yourself having to move your hand across the keyboard more then a few times a game. Also make sure you are using crouch and run when appropriate, and if you learn to dive for cover then that will also help. Also make sure you're keeping your frame rate over 50 at all times because if it falls below that it'll really start hurting you in combat. There are also a few great youtube videos by some really good players that give great pointers on how to improve your play so I'd suggest watching them.
  • Astr0damus
    2901 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    moose004 wrote: »
    I'm actually having a little bit of success finally with a combo I wasn't expecting...assault with an AG m/42. I don't normally like semi-autos that much but the AG m/42 is very accurate, takes four shots to kill no matter what the range, has a high enough fire rate to spam in an emergency, and makes me play slower and more patient because it's not really a run-and-gun weapon. It is making me follow y'all's advice to slow down and play a tad more cautiously.

I hadn't used it before and was running through assault guns, getting them to rank 4 to unlock the specs and find one I liked, and I did. So I'll finish getting assault to 20 with it and see how it goes. When I go back to Medic, while I had the MP40 halfway to gold, I'll drop those assignments and try the SMGs until finding another one I like (probably the Thompson). The MP40 is very accurate but I just can't get hits or kills with it for some weird reason, which is odd because I have over 400 kills with it already. Go figure.

After playing with AG m/42 and loving 4 shot kills, switch to Stebstlader 1916 (Assault) and start getting 3 and sometimes 2 or 1 shot kills. It has definitely helped me enjoy the game more. Once you add the specs of less recoil, bullet-storm or fire-storm, whatever it's called, plus the others, it is a damn fine weapon. You can fire at all ranges with it. Also, as others have said, try to squad with friends with mics that communicate. Also if you play a couple rounds and go 4/14 change servers--chances are you are getting pubstomped by a well-oiled clan vs. all your random blueberry teammates. I know it's a pain in the rear to back out of a server and rejoin, but once you find the right bunch of PTFO players, your K/D in those matches will be better.
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    After 73 hours of actual playtime, my k/d is 0.47.
    That's about where I started off in this game. It got better, after hundreds of hours I'm all the way up to 1.1 now which for someone of my advanced state of decrepitude isn't so bad. That was partly due to my rebuilt PC, partly due to a lot of hours, partly by changing how I play this game.

Somebody here said something like if you're dying a lot, stop holding down the W key so much. Or as the Navy Seals put it, don't run to your death. Sprinting should be used in short bursts to get to where you need to be, it should not be the normal mode of movement because it will get you killed too much, you just won't have time to react (at our age).

Pre-aim, if you think there might be an opponent over there keep the crosshairs pointed where you think you'll have to shoot and even ADS if you're pretty sure someone is going to step out from behind that wall. With the age of my eyes I had my eye doctor make computer-only glasses which work way better than general purpose glasses, they are set up for the distance my eyes always are from the screen, made a big difference. I also shamelessly use the 3x scope on most weapons--the young guys with the sharp eyes can sneer all they like, that scope keeps me in the game.

Break bad habits. One of mine is spawning onto an objective we're losing in hopes I can save it. But it's rarely one guy, it's half a dozen of them and I get vaporized, so now I mostly grit my teeth and spawn somewhere else unless I have backup.

Don't be bashful about exploiting those favorable pieces of terrain you'll discover. There are spots where I know in advance two or three opponents are going to take cover behind that building and I can nail them all from behind this big rock on the hill. Or there is that window overlooking that alley behind the objective and there will always be guys sneaking up there, two or three easy kills. Every multi-kill does a bit to get your KDR up. The more you play the more you'll remember the good (or bad) places to be. I try to work the edges of an objective rather than rushing in unless I'm sure there is no opposition. Keep checking your six, it's amazing how often you'll see someone coming up behind you.

Being in a squad with friends is worth its weight in gold, those are the guys who revive you and every revive chips away at that K/D. But don't lose sight of the fact that if you're capping flags and supplying ammo and so on that's always more important than your KDR. Keep helping your team win and put in the hours and you can improve your stats, I'm living proof of that and I'm older than you.

Some good advice in this thread about mouse settings and so on, I use 800dpi and a biggish hard mouse pad from Corsair although I don't use the whole-arm technique the pros use. I have a Logitech G602 mouse with thumb buttons which are very useful for doing things like dropping ammo crates or equipping a PIAT or whatever without having to take my eyes off the screen. A good gaming headset is a must, I find virtual Dolby surround audio works well for me.

Remember that old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill. If not, we have more money than the young guys do (or probably ever will have) so we've already won. Have fun.
  • VOLBANKER
    966 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 21
    I haven't read this thread fully, but one thing I just now have found out is this:

Be careful when spawning

This can't be emphasized enough!
    I used to basically just point the mouse at whichever squad mate I thought was in the best place for me to spawn.
    However just the other day I realized it is so much better to go out into the map spawn overview every single time you are dead and thus need to decide where to spawn next.
    It may be in your own best interest to spawn on a squad mate, however it may very well NOT be.
    Don't be loyal to your squad mates and spawn on them no matter what - only spawn on them if it makes sense, meaning, if you think you can see a better place to spawn then go ahead and do it. If you are in a squad of not-so-good publics, it's often a good idea to not spawn on those guys.

Hope this helps
  • FragbaitDax
    221 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Oh yeah, last night my squad mates seemed intent on getting me killed. We'd have the platoon basically defending one objective, assaulting the adjacent objective, and my team is off across the other side of the map trying to assault the base closest to the enemy spawn point. Sometimes you're better off leaving your squad, going solo and hanging with the crowd.
  • Pelliy
    2228 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Pelliy wrote: »
    Thanks to everybody for all the advice. So far, not much has worked, I still suck. But I'm trying. It's hard, though, when you're convinced going into a game that you're gonna lose every gunfight because their aim is superior (or more likely because mine's inferior, heh) or that any move you make will be the wrong one because you'll get sniped or picked off by a DMR or tank. But I'm stubborn so I keep on it, even if sometimes playing this game feels like I'm sticking Little Moose in a pencil sharpener. :)

are you still on the high sensitivity?

1800 dpi, 15%. Probably going to drop it to 1500 and 13%.

Jesus dude you really like your high sens lol. Did you use to play quake?
  • DieHarder55
    79 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I've been playing games in the BF franchise since BF4 (I went back and got BF3 later on sale). I've never been what you'd call a "good" player...a TEAM player, yes. I can sling health and ammo and revives with the best of them, and I always play the objective as much as I can. But in terms of the whole shooting-mans things, not so much. I'm kinda oldish (52), my reflexes have never been great, I'm congenitally incapable of sitting back and sniping, so I die a lot. My k/d in BF4 and BF1 is, if I remember right, around 0.65ish in both. In both games, I started off truly awful but then gradually got better.

BFV is not going that way for me.
    Snip comments

Doesn't seem to matter what class I play or what gun I use. I can start off doing pretty well--which for me is just going positive and my team winning, that's it--and then my gameplay turns into a Final Destination movie and I end up 8-19 and we lose. If I play with my outfit, which are a great bunch of guys, I can get wins. Those guys are amazing. And they put up with me. But my individual performance is still garbage unless I do something like go medic and turn into a human medpouch. And if that's what we need, I'll do it. But it's not *all* I want to do in BF. And if I solo queue, you can only imagine, with the "matchmaking" the way it is and my stats, what kind of teams I get stuck in. I don't know why BFV is stomping me so much harder than the other BF games did. But it seems to be.

Snip comments. Thanks.

Hi Op,

I know exactly how you feel with what you discussed and I'm now 63. Just keep on mind that the netcode had not been good since BF moved to 64 players in Conquest. When I played BF4, I'd watch the South American players roll through squads of 5 like them were nothing in full frontal attack. You can't react if the other players are seeing and shootings you because you are behind with information updates. I find it much worse in BFV. I can have the fastest firing weapon at close range, hipfire and lose to just about every weapon in the gun.

I'm starting to find the 32 player Servers are better. Try Domination with 32 players. Takes a bit to get use to the running/gunning in a smaller area but still gives you a little more time to figure out what is what. And your weapons kill there. It's starting to help me figure out what weapons work for me.

As for following the pros, I've done that and so much movement, takes the fun out for me. You'll also notice they don't do much in the way of helping other players. But still, look for videos that explain what and why they are doing things. Helps with learning to think ahead. They also provide good suggestions for weapons and how and why they customize a particular way.
  • Hawkins627
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I agree...I thought it was just me. I actually hate this game, but I've played BF since BF2 in 2002, so it's more OCD/game addiction that keeps me playing than actual fun. This game absolutely punishes solo players. A lone soldier simply can't compete with coordinated, communicating squads. In this game (or most shooters, actually), a squad of 4 beats a single player more often than not.

I have no friends who play PC games; all my friends play console. So, I'm always in squads with silent strangers whose skills (and game goals) I can only guess at. Taken on an artistic merit, I love WWII scenarios (I have a connection to that historical era), but the actual gameplay has caused me an extraordinary amount of frustration. I almost always seem to get placed on the team who categorically refuses to work the objectives, and I can't push every objective by myself.

I never thought of turning down the sensitivity. I'm running a Corsair mouse at an even higher DPI than was noted earlier in the post...
  • One_Called_Kane
    191 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 21
    Snip snippity snip
    Thanks.
    Couple things you may find useful:
    If your aim is average like mine the best way to improve is movement and positioning. A 20% Acc player will beat a 30% Acc player every time if he starts the fight behind him. Learn how to get around more efficiently and get to unexpected positions. As you start to learn the maps and flanking routes this gets easier. Watching good players play is usually an eye opener as well.

Don't accept bad fights! I see so many players die accepting fights with players that have every advantage over them for no reason. If you are in a bad spot and have a way out, take it. Fall back and reset the engagement, don't just peek back in front of the sniper or MMG that just bodied you.

There is a big difference in this game between playing solo and playing squadded-up with a few friends, but even random squads are powerful if you stick together. Sticking with your team means better chances of getting ammo, health, and revives. From a purely mercenary perspective more people also means more targets for the enemy and reduced odds that it'll be you.

Don't worry too much about your hardware setup. Unless you have a good reason don't change what is comfortable for you. Let your muscle memory build.

If you're solo, practice in Domination (not TDM) where you can get a lot of people in front of your gun while also getting used to playing on and around objectives, attacking, defending, etc. It's a lot more helpful when moving back into other modes.

One other thing, as far as "ruts" are concerned, it happens to everyone, at every level. One of my friends who is a very good player rage quit a game we were in the other day after dying 4 or 5 times in a row to completely random shenanigans. There's nothing you can do but just keep trucking. As a fellow Planetman I can say that that game provided me with a very thick skin as far as tolerating lots of random deaths is concerned, hopefully that is the case for you as well.
    Post edited by One_Called_Kane on
  • mattd3162014
    313 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I've been playing games in the BF franchise since BF4 (I went back and got BF3 later on sale). I've never been what you'd call a "good" player...a TEAM player, yes. I can sling health and ammo and revives with the best of them, and I always play the objective as much as I can. But in terms of the whole shooting-mans things, not so much. I'm kinda oldish (52), my reflexes have never been great, I'm congenitally incapable of sitting back and sniping, so I die a lot. My k/d in BF4 and BF1 is, if I remember right, around 0.65ish in both. In both games, I started off truly awful but then gradually got better.

BFV is not going that way for me.

After 73 hours of actual playtime, my k/d is 0.47. And it's going DOWN. What's worse is how it happens. I get stuck into these ruts in BFV, worse than any other shooter I've ever played (500+ hours in BF4 and BF1, and a lot of Planetside 2 back in the day) where I just die and die and die. Six, eight, ten straight. It doesn't matter what I do. I move, I get shot. I stay put, I get shot. I hole up and wait, I get shot. There's ten of us crossing a field, I'm the one that eats the bomb from the Stuka. I push forward, I get shot. I hang back, I don't contribute to the team and then I get shot. I snipe, I get instantly counter-shot. And it doesn't help that my aim is not tremendously good...OK, it's mostly rancid. Improving a bit, but still potato. I have a fairly small desk area to work with so I can't do a lot in terms of turning my sensitivity down (I run 1800 dpi, 20% sensitivity, uniform aiming ON @ 133% default).

Doesn't seem to matter what class I play or what gun I use. I can start off doing pretty well--which for me is just going positive and my team winning, that's it--and then my gameplay turns into a Final Destination movie and I end up 8-19 and we lose. If I play with my outfit, which are a great bunch of guys, I can get wins. Those guys are amazing. And they put up with me. But my individual performance is still garbage unless I do something like go medic and turn into a human medpouch. And if that's what we need, I'll do it. But it's not *all* I want to do in BF. And if I solo queue, you can only imagine, with the "matchmaking" the way it is and my stats, what kind of teams I get stuck in. I don't know why BFV is stomping me so much harder than the other BF games did. But it seems to be.

I don't want to be Ravic. I just want to not feel like putting my fist through my monitor after every game.

I'm not griping at DICE, because I really like BFV and that's the frustrating bit. It sucks to suck at something you like to do. Particularly when improvement seems not to be happening. I guess I just needed to rant a little bit and see if anyone had any advice other than trying Hello Kitty Online (is that even still around?). Thanks.

you need to flank the enemy more often that`s one of the biggest differences with this game the maps are much wider and bigger play area making flanking a far more viable tactic than previous battlefield games as lots of the maps had bad bottlenecks.I get so many opportunities to flank now its not even funny all because the enemies are playing the same way as previous battlefield games running straight to the action like noobs and getting install kill.Flank more die less.Hope that helps a little.
  • TFBisquit
    1522 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Not much sense in lowering your sense, Then find you turn too slow for that enemy in your back. Also the screen size plays a part in this.
    You can however lower aiming sensitivity.
    Very usefull for ads.
    As a tip, watch those yt pro’s how they turn around at which speed. Remember it’s with a single wrist movement. Then set your mouse to simulate that.
  • TxTnT
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Astr0damus wrote: »
    I'm actually having a little bit of success finally with a combo I wasn't expecting...assault with an AG m/42. I don't normally like semi-autos that much but the AG m/42 is very accurate, takes four shots to kill no matter what the range, has a high enough fire rate to spam in an emergency, and makes me play slower and more patient because it's not really a run-and-gun weapon. It is making me follow y'all's advice to slow down and play a tad more cautiously.

I hadn't used it before and was running through assault guns, getting them to rank 4 to unlock the specs and find one I liked, and I did. So I'll finish getting assault to 20 with it and see how it goes. When I go back to Medic, while I had the MP40 halfway to gold, I'll drop those assignments and try the SMGs until finding another one I like (probably the Thompson). The MP40 is very accurate but I just can't get hits or kills with it for some weird reason, which is odd because I have over 400 kills with it already. Go figure.

After playing with AG m/42 and loving 4 shot kills, switch to Stebstlader 1916 (Assault) and start getting 3 and sometimes 2 or 1 shot kills. It has definitely helped me enjoy the game more. Once you add the specs of less recoil, bullet-storm or fire-storm, whatever it's called, plus the others, it is a damn fine weapon. You can fire at all ranges with it. Also, as others have said, try to squad with friends with mics that communicate. Also if you play a couple rounds and go 4/14 change servers--chances are you are getting pubstomped by a well-oiled clan vs. all your random blueberry teammates. I know it's a pain in the rear to back out of a server and rejoin, but once you find the right bunch of PTFO players, your K/D in those matches will be better.

I agree just tried it and its all he says and sum!