Will Net Code Ever Be Fixed?

Comments

• parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    WetFishDB wrote: »
    diagoro wrote: »
    Really sad how ONE person with a very high latency (160+) makes the server get all screwy.

Last night the advanced server search was offering me a server in South Africa with a ping of 324ms. That the game makes it possible for people to play with such game-breaking latency is horrible. I've seen players in games with latency worse than that, over 400ms. There should be a hard cap of 120ms or so (which is higher than I'd like but sadly is necessary in large regions like NA).

There should also be some inter-region servers so folks with overseas friends can play together knowing that they'll be in a high-ping server. But nobody should be forced to play in servers where guys on other continents can mess up the game with their high latency.

I don't expect this to change however, EA cares more about full servers than game quality.

Players care about games, corporations care about profits. That the corporations can't see that high-quality games can generate profits is amazing, but there it is.

People over 160ms (I thinks that’s what its set to) no longer benefit from client side hit detection, meaning they have to guess where the server thinks everyone is. It makes their experience pretty darned awful as they see really latent positions and have no idea where moving players actually are.

As a result most people don’t play with that kind of ping if they can possibly avoid it.

What I've seen is groups of players in the same OOR clan or platoon whose pings are always just below 160ms, funny how it works out that way. One group last week (from Central America) was pretending to be from Africa (in the text chat) but it didn't take long to figure out that was just trolling. The popular view was that these guys were also running some of that "helper software" (as it's known in China) because they seemed to be playing outside the normal bounds of the game.

High-latency players sometimes cause funny things to happen, like a sort of stuttering and poor hit registration, then somehow they can win the gunfight despite having been hit many times, always amusing. And then there is the server seeming to run poorly when many high-pingers are present, we used to kick them for just that reason and it immediately resulted in the server running better--can't do that anymore.

Then there are games like PUBG where the game's lag compensation mechanism gives the advantage to out-of-region players, another reason I was okay with walking away from PUBG.

So even though BFV is supposed to handicap OOR players over 160ms some are still showing up in NA servers with a negative impact on the game. I don't see how it isn't easier to just use a hard ping cap of say 120ms. Maybe there should be some inter-region servers where friends in different regions could play together, but nobody should be forced into a server with high-latency players from other continents. I don't expect this to change because EA just wants full servers, game quality comes a distant second.
  • diagoro
    1530 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    diagoro wrote: »

I'm on xbox. Came up with 40 after reading all various threads, and personal experience. I generally am at 30, and can't seem to get to 40. US West servers I'm 20s, US East get me to 30, anywhere else I'm 90+., and it's pointless.

Can you please tell me how you know if you are on east or west servers? I am on PS4 and only seeing North America as an option.

It's a guess, now that they don't show the difference. But all US servers show as three or four bars (out of four). I assume the full bar ones are west. In the past, the west servers were much harder to find, which still holds true.

I also note that my latency can be as low as 10 on west servers (where I am), but around 32 on esstern ones.
  • mattd3162014
    313 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    About ready to trade the game. Have a very good Internet connection, yet continual dying to the one hit kills.

Just went something like 5 to 30 in various Conquest and Domination matches as can barely get a round off using Assault weapons before dead.

Heard so many complaints about STG44 being too good but I just got it and can hardly kill with it. Dead in split second, weapon type doesn't matter that killed me.

Time to get rid of Battlefield V?

you should post a video showing your gameplay and we may be able to tell you where you are going wrong,Another suggestion is try the server browser and playing in different regions personally i think the netcode was far worse in battlefield 4 and battlefield 1
  • VVaxDaddy
    130 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    personally i think the netcode was far worse in battlefield 4 and battlefield 1

Battle(non)sense has shown this is flat untrue and that the netcode in BFV definitely performs worse than previous BF game entries.
  • ackers75
    2331 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Battlefield 4 netcode got better due to them adjusting the lag compensation.
    Battlefield 1 the netcode got better due to high ping players getting placed on server side hit registration.

Hmmmm what’s the common denominator here!
  • misisipiRivrRat
    809 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Well we already had that one or two weeks with BF1 when the netcode worked almost perfect. 17 years of Battlefield and that blink of an eye was all we will ever get.

That was some fantastic gameplay though, wasn't it?
  • ackers75
    2331 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Well we already had that one or two weeks with BF1 when the netcode worked almost perfect. 17 years of Battlefield and that blink of an eye was all we will ever get.

That was some fantastic gameplay though, wasn't it?

Yep when all the high ping players started crying on twitter to dice!
  • DieHarder55
    79 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    About ready to trade the game. Have a very good Internet connection, yet continual dying to the one hit kills.

Just went something like 5 to 30 in various Conquest and Domination matches as can barely get a round off using Assault weapons before dead.

Heard so many complaints about STG44 being too good but I just got it and can hardly kill with it. Dead in split second, weapon type doesn't matter that killed me.

Time to get rid of Battlefield V?

you should post a video showing your gameplay and we may be able to tell you where you are going wrong,Another suggestion is try the server browser and playing in different regions personally i think the netcode was far worse in battlefield 4 and battlefield 1

Appreciate the offer. I ok with being at 1.0 kdr as I don't have lots of time to play. I play objectives, drop ammo, heal etc so I expose myself more but I find it helps win games.

Been playing since BF3. So I know with the weapons I use how long they generally take to kill. It's a very good indicator when I'm lagging behind. Today playing Grand Operations with players storming buildings, had no problem hipfiring KE7 inside the building and killing players. Killed around 5 players.

The day I posted; game code, netcode or whatever you want to call it was terrible and my ping was the steady 21. Same setup in buildings with KE7 and couldn't even squeeze trigger and bang dead. Not me, it was the code. It was why I went about 5-30 on about 7 different matches/servers. Couldn't find a server where the code issue was less severe. TTK isn't my complaint, the netcode is.
  • DieHarder55
    79 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Thanks for the discussion. Technical stuff went over my head so still going to call it Netcode for lack of better term.

Thursday night played a Conquest match on the Snow Top Mountain map. Went 0-9. All kills were 1 ping/hit kills. Never saw who killed me. 4 times the kill cam couldn't even show me the player's position. 4 of the remaining 5, the player was right in front of me, yet I never saw him/her. One was a 1 ping hit kill through smoke.

I have no doubt my poor performance is due to Netcode issues. Had the same thing in BF4 where I traded in the game one month after it came out. One year later, it was generally fixed except when South American players joined the server. Still I had a lot of fun with BF4 for the limited game time I had available. KDR was slightly above 1.0 and lots of captures / support ribbons. Had a lot of fun with tanks and killing tanks as Support.

With some regret, traded in BFV last night for an upcoming game. Came home and reinstalled BF1. I only played it for 3 weeks, then Red Dead Redemption 2 came out so I didn't touch it after that and removed to make room for BFV.

So I hardly know the maps and traffic patterns and only have two weapons unlocked for Support. Played 4 Conquest matches from start to end, mainly on the losing side. My scoring was around middle of the team as the matches wore on, KDR was slight below/above 1.0, last match I went 17-16. Without Doritos, I could see players, I could react to players and I had no problem killing players with my weapon. Also not a single 1 ping/hit death. I could see where I was making mistakes, I was able to get support ribbons, happy with my scoring for the most part. Not bad for just picking up the game again and my age being close to retirement. Despite the grenade spamming, I actually had fun and felt useful in the game.

So at this point, definitely no regrets for trading in BFV. Seeing how bad the Netcoding has gone down from BF4/BF1, BFV is likely my last Battlefield purchase. If I can't react to players, no use playing a PvP game.

To those that continue to play BVF, I hope you continue enjoying the game. And thanks to all those that answered my previous threads on BFV. Maybe you'll bump into me in BF1 but once my preorder arrives, I'll likely only play BF1 sporadically.
  • ChiefSniper
    155 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Nowt wrong with the netcode. Looks all gd here.
  • NLBartmaN
    3200 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Platform (PC or console) and your "normal" ping?
  • diagoro
    1530 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Just played a game of frontlines. No one had a latency over 100, but every death was a one shot, and often the sound came after the death blow.
  • ackers75
    My brother came round for a few beers and fired up battlefield v.
    Now my brother is a huge arma fan and after 30mins his exact words .......
    “How the hell can anyone play this with such garbage netcode”
    Don’t think it’s on his list of games to buy!
  • ackers75

Is that you stevie wonder
  • ChiefSniper
    155 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    ackers75 wrote: »

Nope, just somebody that doesn't blame the game for every kill I miss/death i get :)
  • ackers75

Nope, just somebody that doesn't blame the game for every kill I miss/death i get :)

If you can’t see it’s an absolute mess you either need to see an optician or have triple digit pings
  • NLBartmaN

Still did not tell your platform and "normal" ping ... which will probably explain why you think the Netcode is good ...
  • ackers75
    NLBartmaN wrote: »

Still did not tell your platform and "normal" ping ... which will probably explain why you think the Netcode is good ...

Probably 150ms ping and dropping packets like a **** dropping her knickers!

Only people getting good necode are the ones causing the issues
  • ChiefSniper
    edited February 25
    NLBartmaN wrote: »

Probably 150ms ping and dropping packets like a **** dropping her knickers!

Only people getting good necode are the ones causing the issues

Actually no. My ping is in the 30's. I use VM with 200Mbps connection, and never see the packet loss icons anywhere near often. It's fine.
  • NLBartmaN

Actually no. My ping is in the 30's. I use VM with 200Mbps connection, and never see the packet loss icons anywhere near often. It's fine.

Your ping proofs our earlier "analysis" and findings:

under 15ms the game is trash, between 20ms to 30ms it is okay and between 30 to 40ms the game is perfect and you have huge advantage, so it is understandable you think nothing is wrong, you have the perfect ping, enjoy it ...