Name one BF map that's better than any BFV map

Comments

• GrizzGolf
    960 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Caspin
  • MidriffUrchin0
    116 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    It's all Subjective, ultimately a pointless question
  • VVaxDaddy
    130 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Amiens? What on earth did you like about this map? I personally thought the BF1 maps were amongst the worse maps DICE have ever designed - well with the acceptation of Ballroom Blitz - I thought that was a good balance between infantry play and vehicles.

Ballroom Blitz
    Argonne Forest
    Fao Fortress
    Suez
    St. Quentin Scar
    Sinai Desert
    Amiens
    Monte Grappe

Nah I agree outside of Suez and Fao Fortress the starting BF1 maps we're great. Not sure what your issue with Amiens is but it at least allowed me to pick any class I wanted and there were areas I could use to be successful and move around the map with any class. Can't say that about most if bfv's maps, have fun playing medic
  • esturias_88
    135 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Not really, just from a certain point on.
    The problem I see with most maps in BF5 is how they tried to stuff 20sqkm of landmass into 1sqkm. It's too much up and down, too compressed, too dense, too stuffed with all kinds of... stuff.
    Besides that, the iconic and heavily fought over locations on many maps are too small in size to provide enough room for 10+ players each side.

@ topic:
    The game has a few acceptable and even good maps, but I'd really like to see some good old BF maps again.
    Wake Island, Karkand, Caspian Border, Atacama Desert and so on. Open Maps, where you can look 100m ahead without your sight being blocked by three rows of vegetation and whatnot.
    But the problem would be that those maps wouldn't be playable like that. First we'd need a working game balance...
  • MetalGearMk3
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Oh man
  • NLBartmaN
    3169 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Only map I kind of like in BF V is Devastation, the only map you can have some close combat and 3x scopes are not such a huge pain.

Overall all the BF V maps feel like they have way too much detail in graphics (consoles can't handle it) but also you get stuck behind everything and everything is slowed down by the terrain.

It seems like they used all kind of tricks and technics to make it "work" but it still feels like it does not "work"

But for me the maps are "bad" because of the combination of wide open maps and 3xscopes, insane TTK, insane accuracy, poor Netcode/servers (and with that delayed/missing sounds) and insane running speed.

Every map feels the same: mostly instant kills and deaths from a distance, boring as can be.
  • SirBobdk
    4013 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 26
    Stahlmach wrote: »
    SirBobdk wrote: »
    Bander desert
    Giants of Karelia
    Caspian border
    BF2 karkand

Bandar Desert....that was great and damn it was huge! Just as a Battlefield map should be! And you had there everything: open parts like the desert, the little Village, the construction sites and sometimes a mix of everything.
    Carrier, runway and lots of vehicles/planes, but it was also a good infantry map where you could use light vehicles to get to flags without being destroyed in seconds.
    And it didn't turn into 24/7 merry flag like BFV.
    One of the best maps made imo.
  • VincentNZ
    2671 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Not really, just from a certain point on.
    The problem I see with most maps in BF5 is how they tried to stuff 20sqkm of landmass into 1sqkm. It's too much up and down, too compressed, too dense, too stuffed with all kinds of... stuff.
    Besides that, the iconic and heavily fought over locations on many maps are too small in size to provide enough room for 10+ players each side.

@ topic:
    The game has a few acceptable and even good maps, but I'd really like to see some good old BF maps again.
    Wake Island, Karkand, Caspian Border, Atacama Desert and so on. Open Maps, where you can look 100m ahead without your sight being blocked by three rows of vegetation and whatnot.
    But the problem would be that those maps wouldn't be playable like that. First we'd need a working game balance...

That still does not hold up. Azadi Palace is objectively a very nice map both by looks and gameplay. It offers vehicles, it is in an urban environment, it has lanes and short flanking routes that are also covered. Also works decently well on many modes. Still it is slightly imbalanced, is only near perfect with 32-48 (probably best played with 32) players and it does not offer the full range of the franchise, as it does not offer planes or choppers. That is a big downside.
    Scrapmetal is visually stunning, and offers a perfect approach to verticality, where every advantage you gain can be countered from somewhere else and therefore comes with a cost attached. Still it only really works with 16 players, only on Conquest and TDM and offers no vehicles at all.
    Caspian Border and Firestorm somewhat allow for the maximum of players being content with the map, it has all vehicles, works with 32-64 players (64 players barely), it has a lot of vehicles, too. They are visually attractive, have good cover, but also lanes and long sightlines. Still there were issues and a lot of people did not like either for whatever reason.
    So all in all it is about being attractive to a lot of different playstyles equally and adding something special by visual or gameplay design. A bonus is when you make the different crowds interact with each other. This is where BF4 failed so often. Giants of Karelia offers everything, but infantry can not traverse the map at all, there is no cover and there is a designated infantry area that has no relevance for the map. Lancang Dam is another example and a few others.
    Panzersturm is a horrible map, because it offers a lot of vehicles, but still no cover to hide from them, or avoid them. It is also visually bland and gameplay wise 80% of the whole map is irrelevant. Fjell is a stupid map, because, while being somewhat good in the infantry section, it has planes as well, which is fine, but has 11 of them and no MAA. So you die a lot of random unexpected deaths by players you will not have seen, heard and that you will not interact with.
    BF1 maps also lost it, and it shares many features with BFV map design, where you just use a large flat field as the base, slap a bunch of trees and destructible structures on it, dig a trench through and call it a day, while putting 58 infantrymen on there and six dudes in vehicles. All the while you have seven flags, with only three being fought around and equipping players with weapons that are really good at killing one guy in an extremely narrow niche.
  • BaronVonGoon
    6728 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 26
    WetFishDB wrote: »
    Amiens. Better than any map in BFV.

Although come to think of it, I pretty much prefer all of BF1 maps to BFV, other than maybe Devastation which I actually quite like. It’s one of the few maps where Medic feels really quite viable.

Amiens? What on earth did you like about this map? I personally thought the BF1 maps were amongst the worse maps DICE have ever designed - well with the acceptation of Ballroom Blitz - I thought that was a good balance between infantry play and vehicles.

Ballroom Blitz
    Argonne Forest
    Fao Fortress
    Suez
    St. Quentin Scar
    Sinai Desert
    Amiens
    Monte Grappe

Truly bad list compared to BF3 vanilla maps

Caspian Border
    Damavand Peak
    Grand Bazaar
    Kharg Island
    Norshar Canals
    Operation Firestorm
    Operation Metro
    Seine Crossing

Ahhhhhj I wish I was a video gamer back in the BF3 days. Look at that vanilla map list. Instead we're stuck with trash like Hamada and Fjell.

Remaster BF3!!! (if youre incapable of making something remotely as good)
    Post edited by BaronVonGoon on
  • SirBobdk
    4013 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    @BaronVonGoon wrote
    Ahhhhhj I wish I was a vadeo gamer back in the BF3 days. Look at that vanilla map list. Instead we're stuck with trash like Hamada and Fjell.
    Yaa it's has really gone down hill with map design since BF3 even if BF4 also had some good maps. The "new black" seem to be smal/medium size cluster or camping maps. And even if the try to make a large/huge map its just gets more or less empty. Lots of open space with a few buildings/hangars.
    It feels like today's devs don't have any experience from BF in the past and comes from other kind of games.
  • VincentNZ
    2671 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Although come to think of it, I pretty much prefer all of BF1 maps to BFV, other than maybe Devastation which I actually quite like. It’s one of the few maps where Medic feels really quite viable.

Ballroom Blitz
    Argonne Forest
    Fao Fortress
    Suez
    St. Quentin Scar
    Sinai Desert
    Amiens
    Monte Grappe

Caspian Border
    Damavand Peak
    Grand Bazaar
    Kharg Island
    Norshar Canals
    Operation Firestorm
    Operation Metro
    Seine Crossing

Ahhhhhj I wish I was a vadeo gamer back in the BF3 days. Look at that vanilla map list. Instead we're stuck with trash like Hamada and Fjell.

Remaster BF3!!! (if you incapable of making something remotely as good)

The BF3 base maps were not better by a huge margin. Caspian and Firestorm did offer the best combined arms gameplay, with Kharg being similar, but slightly worse in all aspects. Bazaar and Metro were just the meatgrinders. Noshar Canals was asymmetric and therefore had balance problems. Damavand was Metro with a tank thrown in, and it and Seine both drastically relied on your tanker's performance. Ah and I missed Tehran Highway, which was just there. None of them worked with 64 players though.
    What stood out is that they all worked decently well on all modes, something that went amiss in the BFs to come.
  • OrionPherrit
    444 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 26
    Honestly, I would take any BF1 map over any here, even the 1s I hate like Sinai or Galicia. 😤 I didn’t play BF4 enough to form an impression there. Since we can debate endlessly whether a map is objectively “better” using many different criteria, I’m just offering my subjective opinion.

I feel BF1 maps are more fun, varied, & aesthetically pleasing. There’s something for every1: you like sniping? Go to the 2 I mentioned above. You’re more a CQB guy? Try Amiens, Fort de Vaux, Argonne or Ballroom Blitz. Worried about invisible enemies? Hit the night maps where everybody has lousy visibility & odds are more even. There are even dedicated aerial or naval combat maps, which I’m starting to doubt we’ll get here.

BFV maps try too hard to be everything to every1, & end up pleasing hardly any1, present company excluded of course. Harmada looks nice if you’re into old ruins & stuff, but is suicide to push objectives. Narvikwrek is the new super-frustrating Brusilov that I always have bad luck on. Rotteddam is stretched-out Amiens with long sniper-friendly avenues & little cover. Devastation is like Tsaritsyn with an uglier church in the center. Arras & Panzerstorm are flattened-out Soissons or Rupture with no hills to offer cover. Fjell looks like Arendelle when you’re the unlucky bloke ordered to chase Elsa up the mountain after she flees the palace in the midpoint of her movie. Just let it go.

If I had my druthers, I would transplant all the BF1 maps here. Hey, if car racing games can get away with recycling old tracks, why not? 🤣
  • WetIaM
    88 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    BFBC2:

Oasis
    Isla Inocentes

BF3:

Caspian Border
    Damavand Peak
    Operation Metro

BF4:

Operation Locker
    Rogue Transmission
    Zavod 311
    Siege of Shanghai
    Paracel Storm
  • WetFishDB
    1982 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Ballroom Blitz
    Argonne Forest
    Fao Fortress
    Suez
    St. Quentin Scar
    Sinai Desert
    Amiens
    Monte Grappe

Caspian Border
    Damavand Peak
    Grand Bazaar
    Kharg Island
    Norshar Canals
    Operation Firestorm
    Operation Metro
    Seine Crossing

Speaking Conquest specifically for me.

Amiens has decent tank play, a mixture of engagement distances and cover for all classes to do well (possibly a bit less for scout), plenty of routes around the map, map was about the right size (not too big and not too small). Just good all round from my perspective.
  • BS_Hokke1975
    37 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    wake island
  • dutchmasta83
    353 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Harvest Day
  • ViolationofDerp
    110 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Karkand is still the best close quarters combat map imho and simply my all time favourite. Regarding vehicle combat i really enjoyed caspain border, armored shield and El Alamein.
  • esturias_88
    135 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Harvest Day
    Ah, that was a nice one, too.
  • BiscuitFrenzy
    149 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The forest.
  • GrumbleSG9
    249 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I'm having a hard time trying to pick a map I like in BFV let alone limiting myself to JUST ONE that I think is better. Hmmm... BFBC2:Vietnam - Hill 137. That Vietnam DLC is probably my favourite add-on to any game I've ever played. Oooh and BF3 - Damavand Peak playing Rush when you basejumped off the cliff. That was ace.