The end of battlefield?

Comments

• parkingbrake
    2726 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 1
    Austacker wrote: »
    I'm a MMG main. I've always mained Support in the Battlefield series since Battlefield 3.
    But there were no MMGs in BF3, or BF4, unless my memory has failed me and those games had LMGs which only allowed ADS when the bipod was deployed.
    LMGs are basically just heavy assault rifles in Battlefield 5
    Interesting point, I think you're right.
    I know there's people having a great time with Battlefield 5 (and more power to you guys!) but for this old heavy machine gun vet, this is the most unfun Battlefield I've ever played.
    I genuinely don't understand. If you don't like the MMGs, why not use a LMG? The LMGs in BF3/4 worked pretty much the way they do in BFV. If you enjoyed using LMGs in those games, why not continue to do so? That DICE has split LMGs into two classes in BFV and made the ones with exceptionally high rates of fire reliant on the bipod for accurate fire shouldn't stop you from using the others.
    Post edited by parkingbrake on
  • X_Sunslayer_X
    461 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    xeNizKing wrote: »
    spateri1 wrote: »
    I knew it wouldn't sell anywhere near as many copies as bf1 after battle royale came out, especially as freeware like fortnite and apex but I never thought the developers or more likely EA would cut the heart out of a game so much by listening/ taking orders from their marketing team more than the fans.

Best BF since BF4 by far, looks and feels like you've given up on it though. I'd be happy with at least some communication to keep us at least a bit happy. Are the hands and tongue tied? You're lack of responses say a thousand words.

A saturated market thesedays and no love anymore. It was fun.

No. The sky is not falling calm down.

Hardline flopped hard then they made BF1. Which by all accounts is the best produced Battlefield to date (gameplay is a different matter entirely) but it was still a very fun game at a very high amount of quality.

BF5 has "flopped" by industry standards and some gamers have the knee jerk reaction to panic. Don't.

BF5 can still be improved they just need to have the will and the resources.

sure BFV can improve but DICE does everything possible to make it as painful for players as possible.
    class-balance we told them in the god damn BETA assault will be too good and low and behold it is the most broken class in BFV atm. strong to best class at almost everything in the game. support is strong and has a weapon for every engagement as well just a tad bit worse then assault. scout if you are accurate its a menace but assault is better since they ADAD all day and ping you with their shots making you retreat since they can deal the base DMG faster. medic is borderline useless at half the maps and so limited most players dont even want to bother with it. have they given an actual plan to fixing it ? no they just keep teasing oh we are working on "something". i call BS they wont move a muscle until the BR mode comes out but hey its only been 4 months so we can take some more **** before they realize they screwed up. knowing DICE and EA they already moved 75% of the manpower to BF2020 since BFv for them is already a lost cause and EA wont put money where it is only wasted
  • SirBobdk
    3637 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    @X_Sunslayer_X wrote
    knowing DICE and EA they already moved 75% of the manpower to BF2020 since BFv for them is already a lost cause and EA wont put money where it is only wasted
    This would also be my guess. I don't expect much development other than some weapons/vehicles and a few maps.
  • DarkestHour138
    992 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    They didn't give up on Battlefront 2 when it's sales were down, so there's no way they're going to abandon this game already.

And it's not going to be the end of Battlefield when the franchise is Dice's bread and butter.
  • xeNizKing
    299 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 27
    xeNizKing wrote: »
    spateri1 wrote: »
    I knew it wouldn't sell anywhere near as many copies as bf1 after battle royale came out, especially as freeware like fortnite and apex but I never thought the developers or more likely EA would cut the heart out of a game so much by listening/ taking orders from their marketing team more than the fans.

Best BF since BF4 by far, looks and feels like you've given up on it though. I'd be happy with at least some communication to keep us at least a bit happy. Are the hands and tongue tied? You're lack of responses say a thousand words.

A saturated market thesedays and no love anymore. It was fun.

No. The sky is not falling calm down.

Hardline flopped hard then they made BF1. Which by all accounts is the best produced Battlefield to date (gameplay is a different matter entirely) but it was still a very fun game at a very high amount of quality.

BF5 has "flopped" by industry standards and some gamers have the knee jerk reaction to panic. Don't.

BF5 can still be improved they just need to have the will and the resources.

sure BFV can improve but DICE does everything possible to make it as painful for players as possible.
    class-balance we told them in the god damn BETA assault will be too good and low and behold it is the most broken class in BFV atm. strong to best class at almost everything in the game. support is strong and has a weapon for every engagement as well just a tad bit worse then assault. scout if you are accurate its a menace but assault is better since they ADAD all day and ping you with their shots making you retreat since they can deal the base DMG faster. medic is borderline useless at half the maps and so limited most players dont even want to bother with it. have they given an actual plan to fixing it ? no they just keep teasing oh we are working on "something". i call BS they wont move a muscle until the BR mode comes out but hey its only been 4 months so we can take some more **** before they realize they screwed up. knowing DICE and EA they already moved 75% of the manpower to BF2020 since BFv for them is already a lost cause and EA wont put money where it is only wasted

I dont disagree with the problems the game has currently but changes to balance and generally additional changes to pre-existing content and future content is not a quick thing.... rushed it makes a bad situation worse, given the time it needs it can help immensely. I think the problem here is that the game was released way earlier that it should of been and because of this unfinished state everyone including myself is unsatisfied and not willing to give them the benefit of the doubt to fix things.

I would prefer incremental hotfixes on top of what we already get patch wise to fix things like spawn bugs for vehicles and their optics bugs too and so fourth but we probably wont get that due to the development cycle they have.

Firestorm is not even relative to this as it isn't DICE thats making firestorm its another company it was outsourced too so DICE could focus on the Core game.

At least attempt to give them the benefit of the doubt till the next road map comes out which will be at the end of this chapter or so we're told which isn't long now. If its not good enough then by all means. Vent that rage.
  • MidriffUrchin0
    91 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    I hope BF5 makes them realise that designing a game for the competitive/hardcore types that have always been the minority, whether or not some think they are the 'best' players, is a really bad idea.

I disagree with this statement.

Driving away the core of the old school Battlefield community was a key reason this game has flopped commercially.

A lower TTK does NOT make this game more 'tactical', 'hardcore' or 'competitive'

Theres not even a Hardcore mode in this game.

Battlefield 5 smells like a cheap, nasty cash grab for COD player dollars and they fell way short. If anything, they were lucky Apex wasn't release around the launch of this game as it would have had even less sales I think.

For Battlefield to have ANY hope at all moving forward it needs to stop with the weak gimmicks and following the market trends, get back to the core experience that made it amazing to begin with.

Battlefield has never been more casual than it is nowadays. It's gutter trash as far as FPS combat goes, stuck between trying to appeal to two different groups and failing both ways.

I have no doubt that people out there are enjoying the experience for what it is, but sticking fingers in the ears and trying to not objectively be critical on WHY so many people either didn't buy Battlefield 5 or have already quit playing is for certain going to sound the death knell for the franchise moving forward.

This is my 6th Battlefield game and there's no other way I can put it, I hate this game in it's current state. This isn't the Battlefield experience I fell in love with back in my Bad Company 2 / Battlefield 3 and 4 days. This iteration feels cheap, rushed, overly political and catering to the casual market. Trying to use this release to make a political statement was an utter disaster, as much as this 'Live Service' model has been.

I already regret paying 'full price' for this game at launch (no, I didn't preorder).

If DICE/Microsoft offered me a full refund today no questions asked, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

can I ask did you play battlefield 2 on pc? I did and a lot of fans immediate reaction to bf3, was that dice turned it into Cod with vehicles.

With bf3, you didn't really need squad play other than to spawn closer to the carnage quicker, which was unlike bf 2 + the suberb commander mode - (which was simplified down for a toddler in bf3) you also all the new rampant crazy kill and streaks as a lone wolf (good luck with that in bf2) and the fastest gameplay in the series. If you think I'm exaggerating about this reaction from some BF2 players then go and browse the bf3 forums at release time.

I ask because I find it odd how you claim bfv is more casual than any in the series and a cash grab for cod players, when in fact you could've been describing bf3 back in the day.

• Austacker
    430 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 28
    But there were no MMGs in BF3, or BF4, unless my memory has failed me and those games had LMGs which only allowed ADS when the bipod was deployed.

Not correct. Both in BF3 and BF4 you could ADS to great effect without bipod deployment.

The Bipod would allow for even better accuracy.
    Interesting point, I think you're right.

I've already golded all the LMGs and MMGs in BF5 and have over 1000 kills (minimum) with every LMG in both Battlefield 3 and 4.

I assure you, they perform just like a heavy assault rifle in BF5. There's literally no downside to their use on the move at all other than a slower ADS, worse accuracy and TTK over normal assault rifles and smgs. But even then they are light years ahead of MMGs performing the same sort of function.
    I genuinely don't understand. If you don't like the MMGs, why not use a LMG? The LMGs in BF3/4 worked pretty much the way they do in BFV. If you enjoyed using LMGs in those games, why not continue to do so? That DICE has split LMGs into two classes in BFV and made the ones with exceptionally high rates of fire reliant on the bipod for accurate fire shouldn't stop you from using the others

Playstyle.

Whilst the weapons I used through BF3 and 4 were classed as 'LMGs' I always used the heaviest of the lot - the M60

I was a world top 10 in both BF3 and BF4 with both weapons and have just under 50,000 kills across the two games with just that one weapon alone.

This is my rifle... there are many like it but this one is mine!

The old school vets have different styles of play we enjoy. For me, it's always taking the biggest, baddest, heaviest machine gun the game offers and make the weapon mine and playing that real 'suppression/cover fire' role.

MMGs were like honey to a bee for this M60 player, but the playstyle differences and combat effectiveness in BF5 (even coming from Battlefield One where I mained the MG15 Suppressive with over 12,000 kills) are astounding. You can't lay down suppressive fire in BF5. You're just a sitting duck and people are not afraid to pop their head up and takes yours off in a single shot - even if you see them - even if you fire first. MMGs are just REALLY bad static, broken assault weapons with larger clips and cooldown mechanics. They are absolutely not fit for purpose and a radical departure from what they're traditionally used for. You hear it all the time from this community where they complain about 'MMG campers hiding in a corner for cheap kills'

YEAH, BECAUSE THAT'S ALL THIS STUPID FREAKING SPEC IS GOOD AT IN BATTLEFIELD 5!!!

You CAN'T anchor a point. You CAN'T lay down 'suppressive fire' effectively'. You open up with a MMG for anything longer than a couple seconds and it's like ringing the dinner bell for every other class out there 'Hey, Dumb **** over here... FREE KILL!'

What a JOKE!

The MMGs in BF5 are just utter garbage and sure, I could always go and play one of the LMGs and forget about it but what good is that?

I'd rather focus on trying to get DICE to address the issues with the MMG spec in this game, but not only do they completely ignore the plight of us old school heavy machine gun players who raise issues, they have a healthy dose of CODbros to shout us down in our own thread here on the forums to voice complaint.

https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/177008/support-mmg-is-now-nerfed-back-to-the-stone-age-in-bf5/p1

22+ pages and DICE never once addressed the issue or wanted to discuss it. Instead, the CODBros just continued to shout down all complaints and we all basically gave up on the matter. What's the point?

Why switch when it's clear that DICE have changed the fundamental dynamic of class interplay in Battlefield to such an extent where it's just no longer the same game?

Rather than compromise my playstyle, I'd rather just quit and go play a previous Battlefield iteration or something completely different.

Battlefield 5 is for the CODBros. The tribe has spoken and I don't have the motivation to fight it anymore.

• Austacker
    430 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

can I ask did you play battlefield 2 on pc? I did and a lot of fans immediate reaction to bf3, was that dice turned it into Cod with vehicles.

With bf3, you didn't really need squad play other than to spawn closer to the carnage quicker, which was unlike bf 2 + the suberb commander mode - (which was simplified down for a toddler in bf3) you also all the new rampant crazy kill and streaks as a lone wolf (good luck with that in bf2) and the fastest gameplay in the series. If you think I'm exaggerating about this reaction from some BF2 players then go and browse the bf3 forums at release time.

I ask because I find it odd how you claim bfv is more casual than any in the series and a cash grab for cod players, when in fact you could've been describing bf3 back in the day.

I'm not a PC gamer. Just Xbox.

Played Bad Company 1 and 2, Bf3, 4, One and now this.

Can only go on my experience here as a baseline.

BF3 / BF4 did not feel anywhere near as casual from my personal experience as BF5.

Whilst run and gun / sniper play has arguably always been at the core of the Battlefield experience, it was at least tempered in previous games by more class interaction and presence that actually mattered on the Battlefield.

Medics, Engineers and Support had real impact on the Battlefield, offering very specific (and needed) advantages to secure victory. Everyone had a role to play.

In BF5 where basically everyone can do everything (just a little slower) and you have ammo/health stations in play, the need for class diversity is basically dead now and all you need is the best run and gun setup for success.

ie Assault.

So I stand by my view here - Battlefield 5 is by far the most 'casual' friendly Battlefield I've ever seen to date.

I don't for one second buy into this notion that the game is 'more tactical' because there's a lower TTK here. That's just crap in my opinion. It's done nothing to halt zerg rush tactics and people with explosives don't 'hold back' to alleviate that spam rubbish we saw in BF One.

This game is even less tactical now, less balanced and a whole new level more frustrating (unless you're an Assault CODbro).

But why even argue the point? No one cares. DICE doesn't care. The 'Battlefield community' (tm) doesn't care either.

It just is what it is and I just deal with it (and hope that at some point reason hits someone that matters and they get back to the drawing board).

But I've basically given up all hope with this game moving forward now we're in the 'live service' phase for developers (which is a whole other kettle of worms that puts me off this game).
  • TEXls1
    224 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    So BFV died again, this like the 3rd time this week. Thoughts and prayers.
  • MAJWolfcookies
    442 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 1
    I do believe that DICE shot themselves in the foot with their “live service” model w/ BFZzzz. The model can work but DICE just sucks at it. Pre-orders are for suckers so also hosed on that front. So guaranteed the next game will be even less content at launch but priced the same. People will get even more gunshy and the vicious cycle will continue for maybe one more BF title... and then “poof” DICE will get “Visceral-ed.” Gg DICE.
  • 0Anesthetic4u
    406 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    If BF3 didn't kill the franchise, an actually good game like BFV never will.
  • disposalist
    8296 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I went with the annual subscription thing to get BF5. I'm beginning to regret that, even, since Anthem is a meh version of Destiny and Apex is a cross between PUBG and Fortnite (and I don't much like BR).

Star Wars stuff? Not impressed. Football? Yawn. Need for Speed? I do that on console and not much. The Sims? OMG...

I guess I'll go try some old stuff... Never did play Batman: Arkham...
  • Vycinas2
    932 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

I appreciate your sense of humour.
  • azelenkin0306
    534 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited March 1
    It’s definitely not the end for the franchise, but I really hope that this is the end of “Live Service” nonsense.

Maybe it’s a good game, but I will not support these **** business practices
  • IDirtY_SeCreT
    514 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Good games ;)
  • misisipiRivrRat
    791 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The end of battlefield?

It pretty much is for me.

I'm a MMG main. I've always mained Support in the Battlefield series since Battlefield 3.

The MMG experience in Battlefield 5 is so frustrating, painful, unfun and unsatisfying that I've all but quit the game as a result.

LMGs are basically just heavy assault rifles in Battlefield 5 - MMGs are just a joke. No one fears them and people scorn, laugh and mock those that run them.

I know there's people having a great time with Battlefield 5 (and more power to you guys!) but for this old heavy machine gun vet, this is the most unfun Battlefield I've ever played.
    • I log in once every few days to do the daily assignments and then generally log off.
    • I log in once a week to do the TOW assignments and then generally log off.

Only reason is to 'stay in touch' with the game's minimalist progression in the event they may turn this around and I may want to actually play it down the line.

But right now I can't stand this Battlefield. It's made for Assault run and gun play and that's just not the 'Battlefield Experience' I want or enjoy.
    I feel you man. I've mained support for a few bf's. For some reason I've mostly run medic this game. I must be a glutton for punishment lol!
    Anyhow I just can't get into bf5 for many reasons. Shoot, its Friday afternoon here, and I got off work early and instead of firing up bf5 I'm finding anything else to do. And I'm not even thinking about playing later. Heck, bfbc2, bf3, bf4, and even bf1 for a time I could loose track of time playing. I know for a fact I've never played 2 hours straight in this game. More like 30-60 minutes.
  • misisipiRivrRat
    791 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I went with the annual subscription thing to get BF5. I'm beginning to regret that, even, since Anthem is a meh version of Destiny and Apex is a cross between PUBG and Fortnite (and I don't much like BR).

Star Wars stuff? Not impressed. Football? Yawn. Need for Speed? I do that on console and not much. The Sims? OMG...

That's kind of how I feel. Not a BR fan at all. Have and enjoy some racing games, enjoyed the hell out of The Last of Us.( three times in fact ) Have a few games that are terrific in psvr. But Battlefield is the one title I'd always get excited for. Bf5 isn't doing it for me though.
  • Austacker

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Oh... you were serious?
  • Stahlmach
    1135 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

The Batman Games are great. Right now i am totally immersed in Kingdom Come Deliverance.