Weekly Debrief

The end of battlefield?

Comments

• disposalist
    8607 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited March 2
    Battlefield V will definitely kill off the franchise for good.

Just like Battlefield Hardline was going to because of its non military setting.
    Hardline didn't kill the franchise because, if you liked the setting, it was a good game and it alongside BF4 which it wasn't meant to replace (weren't they even still developing for BF4?)
    Just like Battlefield 4 was going to because of its appalling launch and the fact it took a year before it worked properly.
    I think this is exaggeration - it wasn't a year before it was playable - not for me - it was a couple of months and I was still playing BF3 in the meantime.
    BFV has it problems with bugs but its nothing compared to what Battlefield 4 was like
    Nothing like as in BF4 had ONE bug (though a serious one that made it unplayable) and BF5 has dozens in almost every aspect (making it playable but regularly intensely frustrating). Yeah. That's in BF5's favour? Not really.
    but now that is the game everyone considers to be the best ever.
    BF4 best ever? Not really. It was a technical improvement on BF3 and has excellent RSP, so has lasted very well. A lot say BF3 is better, though. I think BF1 is much better.

People saying BF5 is "the end of Battlefield" may be an exaggeration, but it's nothing like for the reasons previous Battlefields have been criticised.

Design, bugs, omissions, the live service, weird mechanics, lack of RSP and platoon support, the list of deficiencies and problems is enormous. This is nothing like 'the normal' Battlefield complaining.
  • TEXls1
    226 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Just checking to see if BFV is dead again
  • Austacker
    430 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    TEXls1 wrote: »
    Just checking to see if BFV is dead again

I know you're being facetious, but the reality is that it's got no where near the popularity anymore it had at the height of BF4 or BF1.

I'm in Australia on Xbox. It's currently 4pm here and there's only 6 servers running (which covers every game mode).

For a FPS that's 6 months old that's ridiculously low numbers. That's pointing to not even 1000 active players of an afternoon after school on the Xbox Platform.

So sure, mock the comments on this all you like if it's going to make you feel better (because I assure you, it doesn't make me feel any better to report this) but the simple fact is, this game has crapped the bed and dropping off a cliff.
  • Pyr0Plazma
    376 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    lol @ all these doomsday folks. BFV certainly under performed, but it's far from a straight flop. Heck in roughly the same amount of time it's sold a little more than BF4 sold. BF1 obviously sold better, but people are quick to forget BF1 was an outlier for several key reasons.
  • SirBobdk
    4070 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    lol @ all these doomsday folks. BFV certainly under performed, but it's far from a straight flop. Heck in roughly the same amount of time it's sold a little more than BF4 sold. BF1 obviously sold better, but people are quick to forget BF1 was an outlier for several key reasons.
    I'm more concern about the decline in player base on PC, not the sale. I always use the server browser and a month ago all servers were full and I had to queue. Now I get a full page of serveres with free sloths (5-10 free). It is also more often that a server become empty (less than 20 players) after a map and don't fill up again.
    I can't find the numbers playing any where, but it feels like its getting lower. Still plenty of servers to play on but imo there's a negative trend in the number of players.
  • sabootheshaman
    1112 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    SirBobdk wrote: »
    free sloths (5-10 free).

• barnesalmighty2
    1520 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I'm more concern about the decline in player base on PC, not the sale. I always use the server browser and a month ago all servers were full and I had to queue. Now I get a full page of serveres with free sloths (5-10 free). It is also more often that a server become empty (less than 20 players) after a map and don't fill up again.
    I can't find the numbers playing any where, but it feels like its getting lower. Still plenty of servers to play on but imo there's a negative trend in the number of players.

I've seen a pretty big decline also, not to mention that none of my friends want to play BFV anymore either. I'm literally the last one out of 60 odd players on my list.

The general concencus between my friends is they don't like attrition very much. So it's not even stale maps/game fatigue for them at least. I don't much like attrition either but I make do.
  • Dragam
    871 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    InnerD wrote: »
    spend time on the reddit battlefield forums and you will get communication from the devs.

Or Twitter. The devs are active on all platforms except the forums. I wonder why :|

They are active on all other platforms than the games official forum, where the vast majority of the games players are.

I reckon they are intentionally avoiding it, as they cba dealing with people not being happy about their game.
  • SirBobdk
    4070 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

I've seen a pretty big decline also, not to mention that none of my friends want to play BFV anymore either. I'm literally the last one out of 60 odd players on my list.

The general concencus between my friends is they don't like attrition very much. So it's not even stale maps/game fatigue for them at least. I don't much like attrition either but I make do.
    Same here. I see 1 or 2 on my friends list playing out of around 30 who played BF1. Even my closets buddy whom I have been playing with for the last 12 years don't want to play any more and he has been a dedicated fan since the very start of BF like me. I don't mind playing a bad game, if I have my friends playing and on discord, but alone BFV is just not worth it.
  • TheyHaveScissors
    700 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Looking at the very core of BF5, the gunplay, this game is dead in the water.

We have very casual, shallow behavior patterns behind the average gun. Little to no recoil, no sway, no mastery of weapons anymore. No wonder people get bored of BF5 even after 30 hours.
  • UniQue1992
    39 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    spend time on the reddit battlefield forums and you will get communication from the devs.

Or Twitter. The devs are active on all platforms except the forums. I wonder why :|

Well, the forums are actually a place where a lot of uninformed people communicate with each other. While on Reddit most of the people follow any tiny bit of thing that gets released or talked about. Let's say the Forums are more casual than Reddit. This isn't bad thing because everyone's opinion is important. To fix this issue they should create surveys IN-GAME. Because that's the only place every single player sees.
  • disposalist
    8607 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited March 5
    UniQue1992 wrote:

Well, the forums are actually a place where a lot of uninformed people communicate with each other. While on Reddit most of the people follow any tiny bit of thing that gets released or talked about. Let's say the Forums are more casual than Reddit. This isn't bad thing because everyone's opinion is important. To fix this issue they should create surveys IN-GAME. Because that's the only place every single player sees.
    I agree surveys should be in game, if they want a real sample, but apparently they don't.

Reddit less 'casual' though? Lol. Reddit, because of the down-voting mob, is just horrendous. A very small but motivated group can obliterate any opinion they don't agree with.

It might be less 'casual' but only in as much as it supports the very vocal opinionated minorities, so it's not a good thing.

Much like BF5 itself is supposedly less 'casual': It tries to cater to the minority competitive and hardcore types, and suffers greatly because of it.
  • Rainoxer
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

On Twitter they only answer to celebrities/"influencers"... It sucks. And I don't care about any BF youtuber and their feedback except if they played BF 1942, which is not the case. Most of them are CoD fans...
  • r3cklesshate23ps
    36 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The end of Battlefield..... no BF will be just fine

I would love to see a Bad Company 3 game next, please no Fairfight. Go hard on the hackers and spend a bit more time developing the game - 3 year cycle?

Or a battlefield vietnam :D
  • DaHuntzMen
    282 postsUnconfirmed, Member, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

I would love to see a Bad Company 3 game next, please no Fairfight. Go hard on the hackers and spend a bit more time developing the game - 3 year cycle?

There was already a Battlefield Vietnam which was released before Battlefield 2
  • Dragam
    871 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    DaHuntzMen wrote: »

There was already a Battlefield Vietnam which was released before Battlefield 2

Which was my favorite battlefield game... but its been over 15 years since we had a standalone vietnam game, and i would personally love a new bf vietnam !

However, everything suggests that we will instead get bad company 3... which i guess aint bad, it will after all have been 8 years since the last modern battlefield, when it's time for the next one.
  • mrtwotimes
    764 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Fortunately for me, I spend more time playing and less time thinking about things that could be better
  • VincentNZ
    2906 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Dragam wrote: »

They are active on all other platforms than the games official forum, where the vast majority of the games players are.

I reckon they are intentionally avoiding it, as they cba dealing with people not being happy about their game.

This is not true. It is easier to communicate with the audience over social media than over the forum. Everybody has a twitter account these days and this means not only the official EA/DICE/BFV channels will publicate information, but involved individuals as well, which can be a youtuber or dev even through a simple tweet and this will reach more players than a post on the official forums.
    Additionally you do not have the overly long discussions that ensue on the forums over a rather small detail.
  • Dragam
    VincentNZ wrote: »

This is not true. It is easier to communicate with the audience over social media than over the forum. Everybody has a twitter account these days and this means not only the official EA/DICE/BFV channels will publicate information, but involved individuals as well, which can be a youtuber or dev even through a simple tweet and this will reach more players than a post on the official forums.
    Additionally you do not have the overly long discussions that ensue on the forums over a rather small detail.

Far from everyone has a twitter account, or use reddit... me and my friends don't, and i'm not going to make one just to get in contact with game developers who should interact with their playerbase on their official forum !
  • VincentNZ
    2906 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    VincentNZ wrote: »

Far from everyone has a twitter account, or use reddit... me and my friends don't, and i'm not going to make one just to get in contact with game developers who should interact with their playerbase on their official forum !

Yes, and you are in the minority here. There is no difference between making a forum account or a twitter account to follow official or dev channels. It takes the same time and resources. You are also not missing anything vital here, every bit of game relevant information will be posted on the forums.
    The benefit of twitter is that you do get the occasional tidbits of things that are work in progress like sneak peaks of the improved vaulting or the bipod mechanics. That is not breaking news at all. This can also backfire of course, as could be seen two weeks ago with the JU-52 poll debacle.