ASTRO A20 headset sufficient for 3D-sound?

Rolland_FK
2 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Also, is a

ROCCAT® Juke
Virtual 7.1 USB Stereo Soundcard & Headset Adapter

necessary?

en.roccat.org/Headsets/Juke

Comments

• WetFishDB
    2078 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The 3D sound is pretty poor in this game IMHO, I use Astro A50’s and I really don’t get the depth I got in BF1, despite them paying more attention to sound apparantly. I’m not sure how the sound card and adapter would work in a PS4 though??
  • A_al_K_pacino_A
    655 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    i think https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Amp-Sound-Card-HX-USCCAMSS-BK/dp/B07GW1SHSN works with pretty much any stereo headset giving virtual 7.1. Dont know how well they work as i haven't used them myself.
  • WetFishDB
    2078 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    i think https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Amp-Sound-Card-HX-USCCAMSS-BK/dp/B07GW1SHSN works with pretty much any stereo headset giving virtual 7.1. Dont know how well they work as i haven't used them myself.

Hmmm, I’d be dubious as to their value myself. A stereo headset only has two speakers. That means you can only really do left/right balancing. I don’t know how they’d generate a 3D sound, so you can work out if someone is infront/behind or above/below you etc.
  • A_al_K_pacino_A
    655 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    WetFishDB wrote: »

Hmmm, I’d be dubious as to their value myself. A stereo headset only has two speakers. That means you can only really do left/right balancing. I don’t know how they’d generate a 3D sound, so you can work out if someone is infront/behind or above/below you etc.

Maybe. I thought they all had only 2 speakers, your Astros included, and all surround sound was virtual.
  • mattd3162014
    313 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Waste of money i just use a small set of Sony earbuds and use my camera for squad chat they work really well honestly its not worth wasting the money as there are still a lot of bugs with sound design in this game i mean an enemy tank appears right next to you but you cant hear it and enemy foot step direction is messed up too sometimes there is no footstep audio at all.
  • enterBrainer
    115 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The PS4 does not support virtual surround sound on a headset. That function will only work when connected to a PC
  • WetFishDB
    The PS4 does not support virtual surround sound on a headset. That function will only work when connected to a PC

It did on BF1, and has settings for it on BFV - albeit the sound model isn’t that great.
  • WetFishDB

Maybe. I thought they all had only 2 speakers, your Astros included, and all surround sound was virtual.

I believe they do only have 2, but they take the different streams from the PS4 and convert them to the appropriate frequencies etc that the ear would hear from those streams. It’s all simulation I believe. But, they are optimised to do so, whereas these adapters are having to ultimately push it out directly as a stereo stream to the headset itself.

I’d suspect that using the in games stereo output would be every bit as good.
  • enterBrainer
    115 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

It did on BF1, and has settings for it on BFV - albeit the sound model isn’t that great.

Ah yeah i know what you mean and I know that option, but still, your headset will be connected to the PS4 as a stereo headset, so you will get the same results as with any other headset.
    the virtual surround 7.1 thats on the box of the headset only works on PC.

I liked the 3D sound option for a while, because i could better tell where enemies where shooting/coming from, but the footsteps.. man the footsteps.
    ill walk a bit and it always starts to sound like im being followed or whatever by an enemie, but its just me.
    the mostly goes away with the standard setting.
  • WetFishDB
    edited March 6

Ah yeah i know what you mean and I know that option, but still, your headset will be connected to the PS4 as a stereo headset, so you will get the same results as with any other headset.

I liked the 3D sound option for a while, because i could better tell where enemies where shooting/coming from, but the footsteps.. man the footsteps.
    ill walk a bit and it always starts to sound like im being followed or whatever by an enemie, but its just me.

Yeah, I think I turned off the surround sound option. It just doesn’t sound right. I’m constantly 180’ing looking for the enemy and there’s no one there. And then another time the enemy will knife me in the back without any sound whatsoever. I just chalk it up to one of the many MANY teething problems this game has.

As for the headset, I’m pretty sure with the Astro’s you get an optical output from the PS4 to the mix amp, so it does get the surround sound channels. It then sends those to the headset. It doesn’t connect to the controller.
  • chaotic_xXx_kiwi
    365 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I use the a20s and don't have any trouble with them also I find the comfort level pretty good
  • enterBrainer
    edited March 8

Yeah, I think I turned off the surround sound option. It just doesn’t sound right. I’m constantly 180’ing looking for the enemy and there’s no one there. And then another time the enemy will knife me in the back without any sound whatsoever. I just chalk it up to one of the many MANY teething problems this game has.

As for the headset, I’m pretty sure with the Astro’s you get an optical output from the PS4 to the mix amp, so it does get the surround sound channels. It then sends those to the headset. It doesn’t connect to the controller.

No, that doesnt work.
    I think its because of drivers that do the upmixing, and those are not available on PS4 for most virtual surround headsets.

The A20 is just a stereo headset, not even virtual surround. youll need the A50 for that.

Afaik the only true virtual surround headset for the PS4 is the PS4 Gold Stereo headset.
    It has the sound processor in the headset and not in software/drivers.

Ill keep digging for info. be back if i find something usefull.

Edit: In the end, you really dont want virtual surround on a headset that only has 2 drivers.

Edit2: Most 7.1 headsets are for PC and console compatible. The PS4 Gold is for PS4 and PC compatible.
    You cant use the virtual surround on the Gold when connecting to PC.
    You cant use the virtual surround on 7.1 headsets for PC when connecting to a PS4.
  • enterBrainer
    edited March 8

Virtual Surround is mostly the same as this 3D option in Battlefield.
    But instead of the headset reciever/mixamp pushing the surround channels, it is the game that does it.
    So in the end, youll probably get the same results.
  • enterBrainer
    edited March 8
    Another thing. the ps4 does not output virtual surround. i outputs surround. and youll need a receiver that can accept that.
    for virtual surround you always output stereo which gets upmixed by the receiver/headset.
    for most headsets that upmixing is by drivers/software only available on PC and not on PS4.
    or in case of battlefield, its the game engine that mixes the sound for you.
    The Gold works the otherway around, the upmixing is in the USB stick/headset. but still has a stereo signal getting pushed.

So to answer the original question: Yes the A20 is sufficient enough for BF 3D Sound option ;)

sorry for the long and confusing posts, but i interpreted the question in the title wrong.
    i was assuming you already were talking about surround sound, but you meant the 3D Sound option in BF.
  • KingRofty
    550 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I'm using the new Sony Gold headset & surround sound works great. You just need to select it on the headset, think it's stereo output by default.

I switch between a hifi & the Gold headset, and just leave BF V settings on Surround > Speakers. Works perfectly.