What happened to old spotting system?

Blakeros21
13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
The spotting system in bf5 is a complete downgrade from recent titles. This being said, why dice? Why would you take out an already great system and replace it with this trash spotting system? It just doesn’t make sense.

Comments

• MinZhuZhongGuo
    405 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    community hated spotting. so DICE listened to them.

Now people complain that the game is so campy cuz they die a lot from enemies they couldn’t find.
    It was a foreseeable result, though.
  • Blakeros21
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I never heard of people complaining about the spotting mechanics in past titles, but i feel like doce truly dropped the ball this time, spots only appear to squadmates and it doesn’t actually mark them for teammates to see. I think that is ridiculous, spotting was so vital for me in old titles but now I don’t even bother to try and spot people because it doesn’t help the team at all and half the time it doesn’t actually spot the player/vehicle im looking at
  • barnesalmighty2
    1147 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Blakeros21 wrote: »
    I never heard of people complaining about the spotting mechanics in past titles, but i feel like doce truly dropped the ball this time, spots only appear to squadmates and it doesn’t actually mark them for teammates to see. I think that is ridiculous, spotting was so vital for me in old titles but now I don’t even bother to try and spot people because it doesn’t help the team at all and half the time it doesn’t actually spot the player/vehicle im looking at

You didn't hear about it because generally it didn't happen. I blame youtubers.
  • Jamesonoid
    406 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    What you're describing is a ping, not a spot. It pings a location, it can be used to "spot" an enemy, but it won't actually spot them and isn't meant to. Spotting is still around, but in limited forms. Recons and vehicles can spot if they use the right gadget/specialization(spotting scope/camera/sight/flare), you can also suppression spot as support.

Whether or not spotting is in a BF does not really impact me. I do equally well with or without it, but my preference slightly leans towards without. I'm not really worried about "Muh Mersion" but it just looks cleaner without people having a halo Dorito over their head.

I don't think camping is so prominent because of the lack of spotting, I think is has more to do with the visibility and how well players blend in with their surroundings. Among other things like dark corners or laying on your back(and looking like a dead body) etc.
  • Blakeros21
    What you're describing is a ping, not a spot. It pings a location, it can be used to "spot" an enemy, but it won't actually spot them and isn't meant to. Spotting is still around, but in limited forms. Recons and vehicles can spot if they use the right gadget/specialization(spotting scope/camera/sight/flare), you can also suppression spot as support.

Whether or not spotting is in a BF does not really impact me. I do equally well with or without it, but my preference slightly leans towards without. I'm not really worried about "Muh Mersion" but it just looks cleaner without people having a halo Dorito over their head.

I don't think camping is so prominent because of the lack of spotting, I think is has more to do with the visibility and how well players blend in with their surroundings. Among other things like dark corners or laying on your back(and looking like a dead body) etc.

Whatever the system is called, it’s definitely not what I expected from dice, I understand the flares and other ways to spot but soldier spotting was very useful in previous games, it was a easy way to rack up extra score and be a team player. I don’t see the point of adding the “ping” system, maybe dice should take some tips from respawn who actually dropped a well polished complete game with a functional ping system
  • Jamesonoid
    406 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Whatever the system is called, it’s definitely not what I expected from dice, I understand the flares and other ways to spot but soldier spotting was very useful in previous games, it was a easy way to rack up extra score and be a team player. I don’t see the point of adding the “ping” system, maybe dice should take some tips from respawn who actually dropped a well polished complete game with a functional ping system

Yeah, it's pretty lacking in information provided to your squad mates. They definitely could have done a better job on it, maybe they will improve it, but I think they have bigger issues right now.
  • barnesalmighty2
    1147 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Yeah, it's pretty lacking in information provided to your squad mates. They definitely could have done a better job on it, maybe they will improve it, but I think they have bigger issues right now.

I find tanks pay the most attention to pings. I often spot a defender at a window ping his location and seconds later watch it get smashed with tank rounds. It's not a terrible thing and if you ping directly onto an enemy it goes red with an audio call out from your character as to class or vehicle type.
  • Blakeros21

I find tanks pay the most attention to pings. I often spot a defender at a window ping his location and seconds later watch it get smashed with tank rounds. It's not a terrible thing and if you ping directly onto an enemy it goes red with an audio call out from your character as to class or vehicle type.
    This red indicator and audio call out only go to your squad mates, not the entire team, therefore if you spot an enemy correctly only your squad mates see the red indicator on their mini map, it doesn’t actually spot people and track them like the old spotting mechanics
  • Noodlesocks
    2394 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    They got rid of it because it was pretty bad. Pretty much let the game play for you and allowed for a lot of bad habits.
  • Redstripe101
    2546 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    community hated spotting. so DICE listened to them.

Now people complain that the game is so campy cuz they die a lot from enemies they couldn’t find.
    It was a foreseeable result, though.

BF 4 had dorito chip spotting, wasnt the best but was the Core game mode mechanic. DICE also offered Hardcore modes for the other type of players, so both were appeased I think.
  • Blakeros21
    They got rid of it because it was pretty bad. Pretty much let the game play for you and allowed for a lot of bad habits.

I can see that, but the system they replaced it with was most likely thrown together last second, just like most of the “content” we’ve gotten through the free pass
  • MogwaiWarrior
    648 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I personally see nothing wrong with the old spotting system. I spotted the crap out of people but if other people were spotting I couldn't tell because I would rarely see doritos unless it was me doing it.
  • MidriffUrchin0
    111 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited March 8
    I never liked spotting and enemy tagging in any game. okay in a modern futuristic game, it can have its place with hi tech gadgets. In a world war 2 setting I think dice got it spot on with only recon class being able to perform it, scaling it back to reflect the era somewhat.

Overall I feel in past games it was a mechanic that became a massive crutch for players who then got used to it so much, that it made them pretty lazy. That's why in bfv I feel visibility became such an issue for some, because instead of you know, using their eyes, they'd been instead play off red dots on screen for years and could no longer do this leading to massive amounts of deaths and rage.
  • Jamesonoid

It can be useful. I was playing with a couple randoms today and they were on the ball with the pings. They didn't use them much but I'd ping the area of an enemy and they'd look that way and start firing when they saw the enemy. Most of the time they go unnoticed or not used at all. I think it'd be better if you ping health or ammo crates it shows up for the entire team with the respective symbol. Also, if you could ping locations for vehicles not in your squad. Other things like that that can help the team and not just your squad.
  • parkingbrake
    3094 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The spotting system in bf5 is a complete downgrade from recent titles. This being said, why dice? Why would you take out an already great system and replace it with this trash spotting system? It just doesn’t make sense.

The folks I play with (all long-time BF fans) like the removal of 3D spotting which they remember as an EZ Mode crutch. But they all played PUBG for a year so they were used to having to use their eyes rather than just shooting at magic doritos that appeared over the heads of opponents because someone (anyone actually) had hit their Q key and spotted half the enemy team.

All it takes is a couple of Recons on your team using spotting scopes and you'll have plenty of spotting to take advantage of, the spotting flares work well too. But those things require teamwork, and I like a game that promotes teamwork which BFV is at least trying to do. If you don't play with friends then you will have a different experience of course, but that doesn't mean the game should be designed for the no-communication, no-teamwork portion of the community.
  • Blakeros21

The folks I play with (all long-time BF fans) like the removal of 3D spotting which they remember as an EZ Mode crutch. But they all played PUBG for a year so they were used to having to use their eyes rather than just shooting at magic doritos that appeared over the heads of opponents because someone (anyone actually) had hit their Q key and spotted half the enemy team.

All it takes is a couple of Recons on your team using spotting scopes and you'll have plenty of spotting to take advantage of, the spotting flares work well too. But those things require teamwork, and I like a game that promotes teamwork which BFV is at least trying to do. If you don't play with friends then you will have a different experience of course, but that doesn't mean the game should be designed for the no-communication, no-teamwork portion of the community.

Since they took away the dorito chip spotting system i have adapted and can see targets better at distances, but since the visibility of the game is so bad i feel like having the dorito chip spotting could balance out having horrible visibility
  • Noodlesocks
    2394 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

I can see that, but the system they replaced it with was most likely thrown together last second, just like most of the “content” we’ve gotten through the free pass

Probably, it could certainly be improved but it is a step in the right direction away from allowing the game to show the enemy for us.
  • Sixclicks
    5073 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The "spotting is an EZ mode crutch" complainers are mostly hypocritical. I bet the vast majority of them want scope glint to stay. As if being able to find recon players by seeing their glint isn't just as much of an EZ mode crutch as spotting was.
  • misisipiRivrRat
    794 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

I miss spotting to a certain extent. In past games spotting may have been overdone , but I wouldn't be opposed to spotting for sqad only. Maybe even sqad leader being the only spotter? I don't know. Honestly think the only reason I miss it at all is that I still have a hard time seeing enemies. Played a little bf1 and bf4 recently and had no trouble seeing enemies at distance even if they hadn't been spotted.
  • Pelliy
    2053 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Never got why it was removed. The 3d spotting was a smaller group of people than people that hated suppression. Most people hated surpression but was ok with 3d spotting. but they removed 3d spotting anyway. I remember one of the top streamers said one thing he didn't like about battlefield was its shotting icons, not shooting players because the beta had the 3d spotting bug where you aimed at someone, they were spotted. Unbeknown to him, it was just a bug. For some reason, people dont' like it. feel like its a crutch. It probably is, but it does work in the context of the game though. Especially with no visibility and anyone could be anyway.

2d spotting still works though, but with flares and tagged enemies from snipers. Most people don't know this, so pay attention to your minimap and get those kills B)