Casual Reminder that low render settings still have massive advantages over ultra

aRrAyStArTaT0
786 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited March 22
Things like smoke specifically are not loaded in the same detail (or even ambient smoke isn't rendered at all) on low. Someone could see you from 100 m but you can't see them at all because they can see through the smoke and you can't.
Just thought the developers needed an update.
Edit: In addition, edges are much sharper, suppression isn't nearly as cloudy, and most gunsmoke doesn't render to block your vision.
Edit 2: Since people don't seem to understand: Yes I know that low settings exist so that people on lower spec systems can run the game. I know that people have an option to run these lower specs if they choose to. I know all about that. That's literally PC gaming 101.
My point is, there comes a line that they cross. When certain things just aren't rendered or are rendered in such low quality that you can see through/around them easier, it becomes a problem. DICE seems to agree in how they increased the density in the Arras fields to prevent people on lower spec machines from having an advantage because the fields weren't rendering with 100% density at a distance.
It's not about frame rate. It's not about competitiveness. It's about how someone on Ultra could believe something is hiding them fully when the player on low can clearly see most of, if not the entire, enemy player that is "hiding."
You can stop lecturing me about how players are going to go on low and other stuff now. I'm not new to the space.
EDIT 3: Since people still aren't getting this:
It's not about what setting people CHOOSE to play at.
It's not about what setting people CAN play at.
It's not about how good your system is.
It's literally me just pointing out that SOME ASSETS DON'T LOAD ON SOME SETTINGS GIVING SOME A DISTINCT ADVANTAGE.
Would you like to be behind a tree on all settings or just some settings? Would you like to have your head hidden on all settings when you're crouched behind something or just some? Would you like to be hidden in grass on all settings or some settings? It's really not difficult.
Post edited by aRrAyStArTaT0 on

Comments

• barnesalmighty2
    1147 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    One might say this is cheating.
  • aRrAyStArTaT0
    786 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    One might say this is cheating.

First match in a couple days. Was wondering why I was being shot through smoke and details were being loaded that I've not noticed before. It's because for whatever reason, my video settings were set to ultra even though I normally play on low.
    Guess it's just another reason not to play.
  • barnesalmighty2
    1147 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Another one of the many reasons I play on console. Even playing field for the vast majority of games plus keyboard and mouse hurts my hands in prolonged play.
  • aRrAyStArTaT0
    full951 wrote: »
    awe darn you guys! that's horrible. I hope dice lays down the law and forces people to run their pc they way you want them too

What? What are you on about? There's no need for sarcasm dude.
    It's specific advantages that comes with lower settings that are still present. If everyone was on one graphical setting (like console), then this wouldn't be an issue. Why are you so aggressive?
  • full951
    2315 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I'm surprised you consider that aggressive. the lower settings are for maximizing system performance. an option that should be on console as well. and as sarcastic as the last post was, it's also true that you nor dice control how people render the game on their system. well, except on console.
  • Shadow0nTh3Sun
    79 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 15
    I mean, do you really want your game to look like this?

[video removed]
    Post edited by LOLGotYerTags on
  • stiny1838
    263 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    awe darn you guys! that's horrible. I hope dice lays down the law and forces people to run their pc they way you want them too

yet again you show support for the low skill cheesy way to get kills, at least you are consistant.
  • aRrAyStArTaT0
    edited March 15

[video removed]

???

I'm confused.
    I'm literally talking about how some smoke and other visibility changes don't exist on low settings or are easier to see through/around compared to ultra or even high settings.
  • stiny1838
    263 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 15

[video removed]

???

I'm confused.
    I'm literally talking about how some smoke and other visibility changes don't exist on low settings or are easier to see through/around compared to ultra or even high settings.

he is saying the same thing as you but showing the extreme version of low rendering.
  • full951
    2315 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    stiny1838 wrote: »

yet again you show support for the low skill cheesy way to get kills, at least you are consistant.

I support the pc players right to adjust brightness and contrast too.
  • stiny1838

brightness and contrast is wholly different from removing textures like smoke and foliage.
  • full951

brightness and contrast is wholly different from removing textures like smoke and foliage.

I understand the concern. roblocks levels of detail does make it easier to see. but those guys are robbing themselves of a good experience.
  • Titan_Awaken
    508 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

???

I'm confused.

It's a graphical modification (through .cfg tweaks) that allows you to lower the visuals of the game waaaaay below what the developers ever intended and thus increasing player visibility dramatically. Cheat or not? That's not for me to say.

---

This is one of those "you can't have your cake and eat it" situations. Would you like to sacrifice visual fidelity for maximum performance? Or would you like to sacrifice performance in favour of very, very nice eye-candy?

Once again, that's not for me to say but whether you choose performance or visuals, know that the developers probably intended it to be that way.
  • TEXls1
    224 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Things like smoke specifically are not loaded in the same detail (or even ambient smoke isn't rendered at all) on low. Someone could see you from 100 m but you can't see them at all because they can see through the smoke and you can't.
    Just thought the developers needed an update.
    Edit: In addition, edges are much sharper, suppression isn't nearly as cloudy, and most gunsmoke doesn't render to block your vision.

Bull crap, I set mine to low since I’m playing my on am older PC and smoke works just fine. People aren’t visible in tall grass and fields, they addressed any issues a couple months ago.

Getting shot through smoke is a surprise? When smoke starts puffing I’ll randomly shoot into it and get lucky some times. I couldn’t care less what my hit % is.

• TFBisquit
    1073 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 11
    No not all issues. But it has improved. Regardless, smoke and Bushes should be the same on all settings. It’s the extra details on leaves which should improve on higher settings.
    Anyway, sloop and grass Hills are made that the one crawling on them cant see much, while being clearly visible from the other side.
  • disposalist
    8324 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    People using low settings just for an advantage is sad, but even the YouTubers do it.

In my opinion, they should (and I'm sure could) engineer it so that low settings save your graphics card, but are *less* advantageous or at least on a par.

Foliage should be opaque. Smoke could flicker on and off to simulate translucent. Whatever.

Currently they just go the lazy way and switch stuff off giving a huge advantage.
  • ballFetcher
    119 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Also have noticed this exploit, especially scouts or scopes seem to penetrate smoke easily on lower settings (or manual init file tweaks perhaps). Since its not about performance on PC but rather visibility and look&feel of smoke this should be categorized as exploits. Its not like you cant have a lower graphics setting and the same visibility of a less beautiful smoke. Currently, you can lay down all medic smoke nades around you, crawl down in a ditch afterwards, and easily gets sniped in the head if your opponent has "tweaked" graphics settings. This can happen even though you cant see anything yourself.
  • VincentNZ
    2205 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Well that is nothing new. Gameplay suffers when visual mumbojumbo is added in absurd amounts to reach a certain showcase value. Plus of course bf5 is really hard on your CPU so every FPS you gain is important. And still the effect is marginal, yeah some smoke effects might be less dense, but dying through this is very rare. The only issue is with the rendering distance of the **** fields on Arras, but then again what is the reason to leave that setting at ultra?
  • barnesalmighty2
    The irony comes from pc players pushing the better graphics causing the clutter and then serious gamers lowering their settings to avoid it.