Suppression System

Comments

• Kayback
    367 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Sixclicks wrote: »
    Kayback wrote: »
    We don't need suppression. Learn to aim instead.

Flinch is bad as well as it unfairly benefits rapid firing weapons the most.

How do I "learn to aim" when I've already put hits on target, proving I can actually aim and am doing to the best of the physical ability of the weapon being used, but you can be out TTK'd by the person taking hits?

If you're landing your shots, then you don't need an additional suppression affect to help you. Your TTK is plenty fast enough. Unless of course you're lying and not actually landing those shots accurately.

Yeah OK I'm lying. I never hit the snipers or assault that I'm shooting at. The hit indicators, including headshot indicators are all in my imagination. So is the return headshot from either the OHK weapon or the zero recoil laser gun.

All while getting more hits on them to have them kill me while they are on <25% health.

All lies.

At range it takes between 5 and 6 solid hits to kill someone with an LMG /MMG. No matter how you do it, recoil control on full auto, burst or tap it is still longer than a single flip and click

But carry on my wayward son, carry on lying to yourself.
  • Nummydoughnuts
    31 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I think a "heavier" form of suppression should be exclusive to the MMGs rather than the standard. It's easy to dump out fire and even be on target, but also get pot shot through the dome by the same guy you've dumped half your belt into or hit four, five, or more times even at longer ranges. The MMGs are powerful, but they don't supply Suppressive fire in a way that feels like suppressive fire. Honestly coming from the other end, the effects on the screen while being suppressed actually make it easier to shoot Machinegunners in the head since it puts a higher focus on them.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    5312 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Austacker wrote: »

This attitude is just all too common here.

Battlefield 5 is a CODbro shooter now.

Most of us old school support vets have given up on this **** and gone back to BF4/BF1.

So bf4 is now concidered as "old school" game? lmao
  • Sixclicks
    5073 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 12

How do I "learn to aim" when I've already put hits on target, proving I can actually aim and am doing to the best of the physical ability of the weapon being used, but you can be out TTK'd by the person taking hits?

If you're landing your shots, then you don't need an additional suppression affect to help you. Your TTK is plenty fast enough. Unless of course you're lying and not actually landing those shots accurately.

Yeah OK I'm lying. I never hit the snipers or assault that I'm shooting at. The hit indicators, including headshot indicators are all in my imagination. So is the return headshot from either the OHK weapon or the zero recoil laser gun.

All while getting more hits on them to have them kill me while they are on <25% health.

All lies.

At range it takes between 5 and 6 solid hits to kill someone with an LMG /MMG. No matter how you do it, recoil control on full auto, burst or tap it is still longer than a single flip and click

Lying to myself... ROFL.

It takes less than half a second to land enough shots to the body to kill your target with an MMG. If your target manages to turn, acquire you as a target, and land a headshot before you kill them in less than half a second then they are either extremely skilled or they got lucky. Or you missed a lot and gave them all the time they needed.

If you're engaging enemies outside of the effective range of your weapon, such as trying to take a sniper on at long range, it's your own dumb fault if you die. Learn to pick your fights better. Why do you think you should be able to so easily take on an enemy outside of your effective range and within their optimal range?

Hmm... maybe MMGs don't have scopes because they're not intended to be used beyond close to medium range where you should be perfectly capable of vaporizing your target.
  • Austacker
    430 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 12

Most of us old school support vets have given up on this **** and gone back to BF4/BF1.

That's funny. Suppression wasn't even added to the game until BF3. So much for being an old school vet. You would think you'd know that.

I'm a console player. We've been through this in the past mate.

Bad Company 1 & 2 - Battlefield 3, 4 and One.

This is my 6th Battlefield. Over 3000 online hours in the franchise.

I can link every online record I have in the series (again) if you need the proof?

Good enough to be called a veteran of the series?

Guess it depends on who you speak to, eh? I guess anyone who didn't play Battlefield on PC isn't entitled to claim 'veteran' of the series eh?

Pfft.

Still, doesn't change my view. Battlefield 5 is a pure CODBro shooter now, no matter whether you're talking the suppression mechanic or a dozen other game mechanics that have been dumbed down for the masses.

The MMG play in this game is vomit. I only play to do dailies/TOW assignments and then don't waste my time.

People like you are why I no longer bother debating the state of MMG play on these forums anymore really either.

*shrugs*

You lot got the 'Battlefield' you wanted. Enjoy it with the rest of the CODBros who can be bothered to play it.

Like the OP who posted this thread (and another one who's shouted down by CODbros), they just give up and go play something else instead.

....fast forward 6 months.....

WHERE IS THE PLAYERBASE? IS THIS GAME DEAD?

WHY DIDN'T 'ANYONE' SAY ANYTHING?!>!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!

yawn.
  • Kayback
    367 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

All lies.

Lying to myself... ROFL.

It takes less than half a second to land enough shots to the body to kill your target with an MMG. If your target manages to turn, acquire you as a target, and land a headshot before you kill them in less than half a second then they are either extremely skilled or they got lucky. Or you missed a lot and gave them all the time they needed.

If you're engaging enemies outside of the effective range of your weapon, such as trying to take a sniper on at long range, it's your own dumb fault if you die. Learn to pick your fights better. Why do you think you should be able to so easily take on an enemy outside of your effective range and within their optimal range?

Hmm... maybe MMGs don't have scopes because they're not intended to be used beyond close to medium range where you should be perfectly capable of vaporizing your target.

Sigh

Which maps have this magical medium and close range location where you can't be picked off by a sniper from long range?

Yes the MMGs do work well in very close range if you can find a place to lie down. But even then after you've hit 2 people the third can just tap you.

Look I'm not saying there isn't a optimal engagement area for MMGs. I AM saying they don't have any special use which makes up for their super list of drawbacks. The "bug" of double recoil reduction was actually a good one and made sence in terms of ability vs effect.

By using an MMG you give up a lot. You lose mobility, you expose only your 200% damage increase hitbox, you lack ADS while moving, you lose zoom. But what do you gain? Not much. You still have higher recoil than other classes, you lose the ability to prevent others with more accurate guns shooting back. Sure you "spot" anyone who you happen to shoot enough but nothing stops that person or his mate from pinging you in the head. Snipers spot who the injure, they can spot while streams of people with the scope or flares. There isn't anything special that it does.

And I never said you should be able to kill snipers at range. I DID say they should have some effect to being peppered with a string of 8mm Mauser, the same round they are just about to OHK you with. The thing about suppression is you *DON'T NEED TO ENGAGE THE PERSON SUPPRESSING YOU* you can E&E. It's your own damn fault for getting killed while suppressed.

And again I'm not talking about the BF3 Era of suppression by receiving fire near you, I'm talking about actively taking fire.
  • Austacker
    430 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Sigh

Which maps have this magical medium and close range location where you can't be picked off by a sniper from long range?

Yes the MMGs do work well in very close range if you can find a place to lie down. But even then after you've hit 2 people the third can just tap you.

Kayback, take a look at this thread : https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/177008/support-mmg-is-now-nerfed-back-to-the-stone-age-in-bf5/p1

See if you notice any familiar people shouting down any critique of the MMGs in this game.

Then you'll understand why this 'discussion' is a waste of time.

• Thacyoon
    90 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Sigh

Kayback, take a look at this thread : https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/177008/support-mmg-is-now-nerfed-back-to-the-stone-age-in-bf5/p1

See if you notice any familiar people shouting down any critique of the MMGs in this game.

Then you'll understand why this 'discussion' is a waste of time.

Hello Austacker, nice to see you are still here ;) Perhaps you remember me? I am the OP of that post.

And you are right, I have given up this "suppression" fight against the ADAD action men with their laser guns. I only check the forums for updates in the hope that something changes regarding suppression/ADAD/Assault/laser weapons..and so on, and quickly browse the "general" forum for any MMG/Suppression threads - I don't play BF5 anymore, this game is dead to me.

Thanks Austacker for still fighting for "us", and welcome to you Kayback, but I am afraid that it is a complete waist of enery and time. We will be shot down in every post/thread regarding this, and DICE/EA don't care.

Take care, and don't waist energy/time on this issue....just quit the game.
  • Sixclicks
    5073 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

That's funny. Suppression wasn't even added to the game until BF3. So much for being an old school vet. You would think you'd know that.

I'm a console player. We've been through this in the past mate.

Bad Company 1 & 2 - Battlefield 3, 4 and One.

This is my 6th Battlefield. Over 3000 online hours in the franchise.

I can link every online record I have in the series (again) if you need the proof?

Good enough to be called a veteran of the series?

Guess it depends on who you speak to, eh? I guess anyone who didn't play Battlefield on PC isn't entitled to claim 'veteran' of the series eh?

Pfft.

Still, doesn't change my view. Battlefield 5 is a pure CODBro shooter now, no matter whether you're talking the suppression mechanic or a dozen other game mechanics that have been dumbed down for the masses.

The MMG play in this game is vomit. I only play to do dailies/TOW assignments and then don't waste my time.

People like you are why I no longer bother debating the state of MMG play on these forums anymore really either.

*shrugs*

You lot got the 'Battlefield' you wanted. Enjoy it with the rest of the CODBros who can be bothered to play it.

Like the OP who posted this thread (and another one who's shouted down by CODbros), they just give up and go play something else instead.

....fast forward 6 months.....

WHERE IS THE PLAYERBASE? IS THIS GAME DEAD?

WHY DIDN'T 'ANYONE' SAY ANYTHING?!>!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!

yawn.

Just because I'm against the suppression mechanic in a game that truly does not need it doesn't mean I got the game I wanted out of BFV. The game has a multitude of issues that honestly makes it the worst BF game I've played. I've played: BF2, BF2 expansions, BF2142, BC1, BC2, BF3, BF4, and BF1. All were better than what we have now.

I also supported the suppression mechanic in BF1, but only because weapons were inherently inaccurate in that game. LMGs had negative spread. As a result, suppression was necessary as you were going to have a lot of near misses regardless of your skill. It helped in surviving the wind-up time before your weapon became accurate. But now that the extreme spread and negative spread mechanics of BF1 are gone, we don't need it anymore.
  • Sixclicks

All lies.

Lying to myself... ROFL.

Sigh

Look I'm not saying there isn't a optimal engagement area for MMGs. I AM saying they don't have any special use which makes up for their super list of drawbacks. The "bug" of double recoil reduction was actually a good one and made sence in terms of ability vs effect.

By using an MMG you give up a lot. You lose mobility, you expose only your 200% damage increase hitbox, you lack ADS while moving, you lose zoom. But what do you gain? Not much. You still have higher recoil than other classes, you lose the ability to prevent others with more accurate guns shooting back. Sure you "spot" anyone who you happen to shoot enough but nothing stops that person or his mate from pinging you in the head. Snipers spot who the injure, they can spot while streams of people with the scope or flares. There isn't anything special that it does.

And I never said you should be able to kill snipers at range. I DID say they should have some effect to being peppered with a string of 8mm Mauser, the same round they are just about to OHK you with. The thing about suppression is you *DON'T NEED TO ENGAGE THE PERSON SUPPRESSING YOU* you can E&E. It's your own damn fault for getting killed while suppressed.

And again I'm not talking about the BF3 Era of suppression by receiving fire near you, I'm talking about actively taking fire.

If MMGs need buffs, then give them buffs. That doesn't have to include a mechanic which throws off the aim of others. Especially those who rely on being able to land a single perfectly accurate shot or they die by default.
  • wc138
    1109 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Look, it's really simple: either you want this to be another dumb arcade shooter, or you want at least a modicum of the tactical aspect that BF has always presented. If you want the second one, suppression as a mechanic is a necessity.

In actual combat, suppression works because the targeted enemy has one life, and will take shelter rather than lose that one life. This gives you a chance to flank, suppress, retreat, target indirect fire, etc. In a game where one has hundreds of tickets/re-spawns, the only negative to dying is an imaginary number few people care about, and a ten second wait time to play again.

Read that last sentence again, please, and then understand that with the removal of active suppression, the game is going to continue to degenerate into more and more run-and-gun.

"BUT MUH UNREALISTIC BULLET DEVIATION!" you say? You mean the part where you have trouble accurately returning fire as bullets come flying in at you? THAT'S THE POINT.

• Zenga
    164 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    If MMGs need buffs, then give them buffs. That doesn't have to include a mechanic which throws off the aim of others. Especially those who rely on being able to land a single perfectly accurate shot or they die by default.

Well, you're at least beginning to see a part of the problem...
    Both of class traits for machine gunners are related to suppression mechanic, which simply does not exist. There is no suppression effect on the enemy player, but for some reason the game pretends that there is suppression.
    In that other thread where suppression was being discussed I already said a very simple thing: it's not fair to base our class traits on an imaginary mechanic that doesn't actually do anything.
    The machine gunner as a combat role needs to be redesigned. MMGs as weapons don't really need buffs, the class itself needs buffs so that it would make sense to spec as a machine gunner. Because right now it literally makes no difference if you're speccing as a machine gunner or an engineer - it's absolutely irrelevant.
    Every other class in the game gets a palpable buff by picking one of the combat roles. Maybe it's faster health regen, maybe it's the ability to spawn on other peoples beacons, or sprint fast to a down enemy, or shoot static weapons longer etc. All of these mechanics work exactly as described and provide a factual buff to the player itself. Machine gunners get 2 buffs which both refer to a mechanic that doesn't actually exist in the game and do not provide any advantage. This is wrong, it's simply not fair.
  • Nummydoughnuts
    31 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 12
    Zenga wrote: »

Well, you're at least beginning to see a part of the problem...
    Both of class traits for machine gunners are related to suppression mechanic, which simply does not exist. There is no suppression effect on the enemy player, but for some reason the game pretends that there is suppression.
    In that other thread where suppression was being discussed I already said a very simple thing: it's not fair to base our class traits on an imaginary mechanic that doesn't actually do anything.
    The machine gunner as a combat role needs to be redesigned. MMGs as weapons don't really need buffs, the class itself needs buffs so that it would make sense to spec as a machine gunner. Because right now it literally makes no difference if you're speccing as a machine gunner or an engineer - it's absolutely irrelevant.
    Every other class in the game gets a palpable buff by picking one of the combat roles. Maybe it's faster health regen, maybe it's the ability to spawn on other peoples beacons, or sprint fast to a down enemy, or shoot static weapons longer etc. All of these mechanics work exactly as described and provide a factual buff to the player itself. Machine gunners get 2 buffs which both refer to a mechanic that doesn't actually exist in the game and do not provide any advantage. This is wrong, it's simply not fair.

Whoops, did that backwards XD
    My idea would be to put a strict and legit version of suppression that is either exclusive to the Support class, or even more specifically to the MMGs or even the Machine Gunner Archetype. I wouldn't call it a buff but some would see it as one where since the MMGs are designed to basically hose down your enemy with rounds, it would make much more sense to make it have a seriously amplified suppression effect. I'm thinking they don't need to make it so much that there is random bullet deviation, but have a layering of effects that makes it incredibly hard to return fire, like some sort of swaying, serious darkening or tunnel vision, blurring, and maybe even "Flinching/shaking" based around near impacts to actual bullet impacts.
  • YourLocalPlumber
    2714 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    wc138 wrote: »
    Look, it's really simple: either you want this to be another dumb arcade shooter, or you want at least a modicum of the tactical aspect that BF has always presented. If you want the second one, suppression as a mechanic is a necessity.

In actual combat, suppression works because the targeted enemy has one life, and will take shelter rather than lose that one life. This gives you a chance to flank, suppress, retreat, target indirect fire, etc. In a game where one has hundreds of tickets/re-spawns, the only negative to dying is an imaginary number few people care about, and a ten second wait time to play again.

Read that last sentence again, please, and then understand that with the removal of active suppression, the game is going to continue to degenerate into more and more run-and-gun.

"BUT MUH UNREALISTIC BULLET DEVIATION!" you say? You mean the part where you have trouble accurately returning fire as bullets come flying in at you? THAT'S THE POINT.

I rather have skill based shooter than a tactical one.
  • wc138
    1109 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

You and I widely diverge on what is and isn't skill. Your statement sounds like an attempt at fact, when I think it's mostly opinion. I, for example of opinion, see little to no skill in picking the best class, equipping the best weapon, outfitting it with the best specializations, and then charging head long into battle because you out-gun everyone else on the field. If you're inferring that bullet deviation removes the skill level, I would say that it's a complete lack of skill that caused you to simply stand in the line of massive amounts of gunfire without bothering to take cover in between your kills.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, and I'll just cross my fingers Post Scriptum comes to console.

• r3cklesshate23ps
    36 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Mangrey wrote: »
    any Chance that we can get the one BF3 uses, the current one dose not work.

Agreed. Bf3 supppresion system is the best.
  • YourLocalPlumber
    2714 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

You and I widely diverge on what is and isn't skill. Your statement sounds like an attempt at fact, when I think it's mostly opinion. I, for example of opinion, see little to no skill in picking the best class, equipping the best weapon, outfitting it with the best specializations, and then charging head long into battle because you out-gun everyone else on the field. If you're inferring that bullet deviation removes the skill level, I would say that it's a complete lack of skill that caused you to simply stand in the line of massive amounts of gunfire without bothering to take cover in between your kills.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, and I'll just cross my fingers Post Scriptum comes to console.

Nobody is talking about standing in the open and going rambo mode. Its a simple matter or fair battle when both players have exact same chances of killing each other. Suppression just adds to "Shoot first - kill first" arcade mechanic that you seem to despite so much. And if you don't like that people turn 180 and blast your face off after you unloaded 200 rounds into their direction - then get good.
  • TheyHaveScissors
    565 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 12

Typical example of someone that doesnt understand the intricate idea of suppression. I cant blame those people. DICE never explained it to them in BF3, 4 and 1. Suppression added in alot more depth to the firefights instead of ''just aiming l33t skillzlololol CoD''.
    We don't need suppression returning what we need is flinch when you get shot nudging your aim slightly.

This. You shouldn't be able to stand perfectly still looking through a 6x while taking 3 rounds to the chest lol

we really don't need the old suppression back. MMG's at extreme ranges would have an option against snipers and assaults giving them a fairer chance to win without the vasaline lens effect of old.
    This is a nice middle ground for everyone especially if it was a perk of the MMG.

There was nothing bad with the old suppression if you understand the whole idea behind it.
    We'll probably never see suppression again, since the forums, reddit, and twitter lit up with players who whined and complained that they couldn't shoot the guy suppressing them when they were suppressed. Mostly lone-wolf snipers who couldn't score their head shot while being peppered.

It was a cool mechanic that stopped the run and gun and caused more tactical gameplay, but BF V is all about the run-and-gun, if you haven't noticed.

Yep, the game definitely went downhill. DICE also needed to add in weapons with no noticeable recoil and 0% sway on everything. Crazy.
  • wc138

Nobody is talking about standing in the open and going rambo mode. Its a simple matter or fair battle when both players have exact same chances of killing each other. Suppression just adds to "Shoot first - kill first" arcade mechanic that you seem to despite so much. And if you don't like that people turn 180 and blast your face off after you unloaded 200 rounds into their direction - then get good.

Those using suppression were the heavy gunners, and they rarely got the kills. So it wasn't unloading 200 rounds and being mad there was no kill. It was suppressing the enemy team so that you're team could flank, retreat, etc. Is that what you're saying?

Someone is talking about rambo mode. Me. Which is exactly what a lack of suppression causes. There were multiple ways to make BF3 suppression fair to both sides, but instead, it was removed. Again, I have said that this has led to players who whine that bullet deviation was the reason they couldn't get kills crying so much that suppression was completely neutered as opposed to being made a bit more fair. I've seen your posts akin to the same. Bullet deviation bad. Me good. All skill.

So, nah nah nah nah boo boo.

• Astr0damus
    2901 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    We don't need suppression returning what we need is flinch when you get shot nudging your aim slightly.

This. You shouldn't be able to stand perfectly still looking through a 6x while taking 3 rounds to the chest lol

What about people that are ON FIRE still running and gunning? That seems a little dumb too... as well as when you pick axe someone to the face but they still have the mental faculties to continue shooting you. That's what I always do in real life whenever I'm hit in the face with a pick-axe, I continue to pull out my side-arm and blow them away buddy....