Dx12 runs like a night mare

Comments

• ZulfoDK
    141 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 21
    Jinko_itx wrote: »
    DX 12 works great for me but the only issue I have is in the beginning of a map, it freezes a couple of times, almost like as people are coming on the server, the game just freezes a sec. unusual...

This is what happens to me running DX12 on my RTX 2080 Ti - get freezes, mostly at the start of a round, and especially when the map zooms in at start - it almost looks like its texture loading... at times my sound freezes at the same time, but not every time.

And I really want to use DX12 as I actually enjoy DXR/Ray Tracing - and get 80+ fps.
  • Jinko_itx
    683 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I am beginning the think that you have to buy the most expensive graphics cards and CPU to run DX12. The only benefit I see is a little more graphic detail when playing ( example a couple of more limbs on the tree or a bomb crater that has a slightly different shape) and frame rate. Who notice that stuff when you are in the middle of a battle. Does it improve your score greatly, I don't think so. :D :D

it does for us using ray tracing, cant use ray tracing in DX11
  • OaksMokeBacon
    53 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I have a 1080 with an i78700k. I run DX12 with no Pre Frame rendering and it runs lovely and smooth. However similar to others though I do sometimes get a little cough like stutter at the start of a map but then thats it.
  • TFBisquit
    1315 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The coughs are increasing for me though. It's now more frequent. A total freeze for half a second.
  • xHonest_Abe
    89 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I am beginning the think that you have to buy the most expensive graphics cards and CPU to run DX12. The only benefit I see is a little more graphic detail when playing ( example a couple of more limbs on the tree or a bomb crater that has a slightly different shape) and frame rate. Who notice that stuff when you are in the middle of a battle. Does it improve your score greatly, I don't think so. :D :D

it does for us using ray tracing, cant use ray tracing in DX11

Look up "ray tracing" on the Wikipedia, " ray tracing best suited for applications where taking a relatively long time to render a frame can be tolerated, such as in still images and film and television visual effects, and more poorly suited for real-time applications such as video games where speed is critical".

So, to make it work as advertised for DX12, you better have the fastest PC currently available. Oh well, I am happy with DX11 B)
  • CaptHotah
    1061 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It work good for me. Stable 144fps at high settings at 2560x1080, gtx 1080ti amd 8700k.
    On dx11 i need to enable future frame rendering to get these results.
  • DocCuda418
    145 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    FinnHit wrote: »
    9900k and 2080 ti dx 12 fps is good (much better than dx11) but every now and then pauses / freeezes

i7-8700K 1080, Same. Runs like a dream except maybe once every hour or so it hangs for a brief moment. Other than that I have never had a crash or server disconnect. Only played 20 or so hours though.
  • k1DBLITZ
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    For me, DX11 *feels* smoother....like butter.

DX12 nets 30+ FPS over DX11, but it's not nearly as smooth. It's difficult to explain, but I notice the difference and it's not a placebo.

Intel 6700k
    32GB RAM
    EVGA 2080ti
    144hz Gsync Monitor
    SSDs
  • DiscoPr0
    88 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    DX12 was unplayable with my 980ti. Upgraded to a 2080 and got much better framerates on DX12.

Although ever since the February patch I have been crashing to desktop a lot so I may give DX11 a try again.
  • Jinko_itx
    683 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    make sure the GPU restricted memory is ON, after turning it on, give it some time but the stutters will go away
  • StingX71
    809 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    DX12 = smooth, but get the occasional hiccup that causes my fps to drop for a few seconds. Usually at the most in opportune time.
    DX11 = smooth, but I get 100% cpu usage causing lots of jittering. Jacking up my resolution upscaling usually keeps this in check. Amount of upscaling varies from map to map.

I tend to stay with DX11.
  • CaptHotah
    1061 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    make sure the GPU restricted memory is ON, after turning it on, give it some time but the stutters will go away

Can anyone else confirm this works??
    I have the occasional stuttering, like 2-3 times each round, but apart from that dx12 works fine for me. 144fps at 2560x1080 high-ultra settings.
  • SteveZee
    346 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    DX12 shouldnt be that bad. If it is you have an issue on your system somewhere. IT may run worse than dx11. It does for some people, but it shouldn't be 2 fps. Clearly you had some HD activity there that might be to blame. YOu'd have to watch the system and see whats happening.
  • Jumpy-B-L
    682 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Higher FPS with DX12 but frame times are terrible.

Smoother with DX11.

I don't think it's going to reach its full potential until a renderer/engine is built from ground up with DX12 as base.
  • TFBisquit
    1315 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    CaptHotah wrote: »

Can anyone else confirm this works??
    I have the occasional stuttering, like 2-3 times each round, but apart from that dx12 works fine for me. 144fps at 2560x1080 high-ultra settings.

I can't. Tried them both with no noticable difference. I have 8GB video ram though. The 2 or 3 times stutter per round is sadly still present.
    On the bright side, it haven't cost me a life or kill yet.
  • BlindChance
    484 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    TFBisquit wrote: »
    DX 12 works great for me but the only issue I have is in the beginning of a map, it freezes a couple of times, almost like as people are coming on the server, the game just freezes a sec. unusual...

Yes, same here.
    But is that DX12? I don't know tbh, could also be the servers? High pingers connecting etc etc.
    Even with DX11 I had the occasional hiccup once or twice in a sever.

Interesting. I switched today to DX12 to try it out and I definitely noticed a weird freeze during the first few seconds I spawn. Is this your experience too?
  • TFBisquit
    edited March 14
    Yes. Happens 2 or 3 times per round.
    DX11 with ffr on feels better but has more lag input. DX12 is more accurate when firing at enemies, so I tolerate the occasional hickup.
  • StingX71
    809 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    k1DBLITZ wrote: »
    For me, DX11 *feels* smoother....like butter.

DX12 nets 30+ FPS over DX11, but it's not nearly as smooth. It's difficult to explain, but I notice the difference and it's not a placebo.

Intel 6700k
    32GB RAM
    EVGA 2080ti
    144hz Gsync Monitor
    SSDs

Shouldn't see that much of a difference. Do you have FFR on when in DX11?
  • sadboyltd
    69 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 24
    DX12 gives me like minus 30 fps still on a 1070TI and Ryzen 1600 at 3.8
  • CaptHotah
    I ditched dx12 months ago. The game runs very well now on dx11 with ffr on