New Mechanic Idea: Call-in Artillery?

Khal_Fraggo
494 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Okay, hear me out. I think there are a few nagging problems with the game that might all be helped with a new game mechanic. First, I'll list the problems:

- Too many Scouts sitting on hills all game and trading sniping kills and deaths.
- Even worse, too many VEHICLES sitting on hills all game farming kills and not dying at all.
- No long-range infantry weapon that can damage a tank fast enough to kill it. Yes, AT rockets exist, but the further a tank sits back from the action, the easier it is to back up 10 yards and safely repair. They're actually REWARDED for staying away from the action with indefinite life.
- Despite all the yummy bonus points, players still don't focus on capping flags enough.

Now, a solution:
- Introduce an artillery call-in token.
- Hand out one token per flag cap. The token goes to a random player who PARTICIPATED IN THE FLAG CAP.
- Cash in the token on the map screen to fire an artillery barrage anywhere on the map. It won't have a huge radius of effect, but it will be very damaging. As in, it can completely kill a tank.
- Give the call-in a several-second lag time, such that it would be complete luck to catch a moving target, but super easy to hit a camper.
- Don't give ANY indication the artillery has been fired. Not even a distant sound effect. A warning would just make campers move slightly in one direction for a few seconds, and only be an annoyance. It needs to be a complete surprise.

I briefly suggested this in an unrelated thread, but thought I would start a more detailed separate thread.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• von_Campenstein
    6571 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    There are already plenty of vehicles in the game who should be able to take care of these problems if teamwork were in place.

But I like the idea of a once off artillery strike, I'd like to give it an Easter Egg hunt spin with recent DICE flavor. Every match depending on the class selected you get a task sheet of 5 different things you need to get done before you unlock that 1 strike. Of course the tasks would be PTFO oriented.
  • Khal_Fraggo
    494 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    There are already plenty of vehicles in the game who should be able to take care of these problems if teamwork were in place.

If you needed good teamwork to counter good teamwork, that would be totally understandable. But a vehicle camping on a hill is a SINGLE PLAYER sitting in an armored shell that can heal itself. It's a similar story for fighter pilots. This supposed "team-based game" lets complete loners be super strong killing machines without any teammate interaction!

So if another player works with his team to constantly take objectives, why not let them occasionally nuke a player that isn't using any teamwork at all?
  • DavTan
    772 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I like your idea op
  • -aarp-19Crib
    716 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Okay, hear me out. I think there are a few nagging problems with the game that might all be helped with a new game mechanic. First, I'll list the problems:

- Too many Scouts sitting on hills all game and trading sniping kills and deaths.
    - Even worse, too many VEHICLES sitting on hills all game farming kills and not dying at all.
    - No long-range infantry weapon that can damage a tank fast enough to kill it. Yes, AT rockets exist, but the further a tank sits back from the action, the easier it is to back up 10 yards and safely repair. They're actually REWARDED for staying away from the action with indefinite life.
    - Despite all the yummy bonus points, players still don't focus on capping flags enough.

Now, a solution:
    - Hand out one token per flag cap. The token goes to a random player who PARTICIPATED IN THE FLAG CAP.
    - Cash in the token on the map screen to fire an artillery barrage anywhere on the map. It won't have a huge radius of effect, but it will be very damaging. As in, it can completely kill a tank.
    - Give the call-in a several-second lag time, such that it would be complete luck to catch a moving target, but super easy to hit a camper.
    - Don't give ANY indication the artillery has been fired. Not even a distant sound effect. A warning would just make campers move slightly in one direction for a few seconds, and only be an annoyance. It needs to be a complete surprise.

I briefly suggested this in an unrelated thread, but thought I would start a more detailed separate thread.

Your thoughts?

Earlier, I posted allowing motivated people to buy a squad leader slot for a game. Have half available to buy with CC. Plus, let squad leaders see where the other squads are heading.

• SlugSniper
    1022 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I do think we have enough mechanics for something akin to Commander Mode. And holy heck, if we can finally deal with those edge-of-the-map arty campers, I'm all for it.
  • Titan_Awaken
    805 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Now, a solution:

Your thoughts?

Earlier, I posted allowing motivated people to buy a squad leader slot for a game. Have half available to buy with CC. Plus, let squad leaders see where the other squads are heading.

2 year old necro dude. And also wrong section (BF1).
  • FerrariF1993
    55 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Artillery was the biggest killer in ww1.

We need more emphasis on artillery not to mention railway guns!!
  • CS-2107
    1554 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

This is a pretty old conversation here. Reviving it isn't gonna do anything. Also I think BF1 has enough artillery with mortars, heavy guns, gas launchers, call-in-Artillery strikes from the Infiltrator, Vehicles, Grenade-Launchers. The atmosphere is there and if they would do something for this game again, adding more artillery would be pretty low and I mean pretty low on my wishlist.
  • Titan_Awaken
    805 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    CS-2107 wrote: »

This is a pretty old conversation here. Reviving it isn't gonna do anything. Also I think BF1 has enough artillery with mortars, heavy guns, gas launchers, call-in-Artillery strikes from the Infiltrator, Vehicles, Grenade-Launchers. The atmosphere is there and if they would do something for this game again, adding more artillery would be pretty low and I mean pretty low on my wishlist.

No!!!

We need more artillery. MORE! The current artillery in the game is simply not enough! The mortars, heavy mortars, armored trains, dreadnought cannons, Infiltrator kits, St. Chamond barrages, gas grenade launchers, mortar trucks, destroyers and zeppelins are not enough!

And we also need to add diseases in the game as that was also a common killer in WW1!

/s