Worth Buying?

Comments

• Ceph777
    249 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Are there bugs: yes

Are there cheaters: yes

Are both in every other game: yes

Do I have fun, like 1000s others: yes

They best way imho is to find a good group of players, check out my YT videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQtykYHtOUGkGnAtjs2bSg

If you are in NA, add me to origin and join our group for some games.
  • AddyRazz
    137 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm a long time fan of BF games. I know they have gone downhill with "Being fun" aspect. Is BFV worth buying at half off as it stands today? Considering player count, bugs, fixes, and gameplay. Thank you!

yep well worth it, wasn't sure at first and went back to BF1 then came back, lots of updates, its a good game ;)
  • xKusagamix
    896 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 15
    I've got close to 200 hours into it and 80% of that was a good time. Just know there are balance issues and bugs, if you can accept that it's a good time.

I would also recommend playing to the meta at first to avoid some of the frustration that comes with that imbalance. That meta in my mind if assault, 3x Semi-Auto, and running with the pack. After you get the hang of the TTK and maps you can start to mess with people in some fun ways. Did you know absolutely no team expects a dynamite trap to be set on resupply stations in their controlled points :-) Mwhahahahahaha
    Exactly. If you just use the OP stuff, then there's some enjoyment to be had. Great... Not.
    Still having fun with MMGs, SMGs, BARs.
    My top ten most used weapons only have 2 ARs.

"Having fun" to me in a Battlefield game doesn't mean a crap tons of kills so OPed guns are not a must.
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm a long time fan of BF games. I know they have gone downhill with "Being fun" aspect. Is BFV worth buying at half off as it stands today? Considering player count, bugs, fixes, and gameplay. Thank you!

I don't regret buying BFV at full price, on a dollar to hours played ratio I got my money's worth. So if you can get it at half price that sounds like a good investment.

There are some annoying bugs, and some more serious issues like a lack of rented servers, a slow pace of new content arriving, disappointing network performance and anti-cheat which doesn't seem effective enough. But the game itself can still be a lot of fun especially if you're playing with friends. Keep in mind that some of the negative comments you'll see here come from people who are ill-informed or for some reason emotionally invested in hating this game and the developer. I've seen posters outright lie, they're that desperate to slam the game that they can't even stick to the real problems BFV has and instead make up stuff.

I'm going to keep playing and see where BFV goes, I think it has great potential although I'm concerned that the lack of ongoing revenue in the Live Service business model EA is using for this game will hurt it as there just won't be enough additional content. Previous BF titles which used paid DLC to fund development costs expanded greatly over their development lives, BF4 went from ten maps at launch to thirty-three maps over two years. I can't see that happening with BFV, and that's a shame because WWII obviously offers a lot of material for a game designer to work with. So I'll have fun while the game is supported, and when BF6 is released I'll wait awhile and see if EA has decided to make a quality BF game with a long lifespan or if they just want a cheaper, disposable game that will disappear in a couple of years.
  • pest174
    811 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Wait until the roadmap is revealed next week. Apparently it's for the game's entirety, instead of a season.

I was initially going to joke and say wait until the Super Premium Deluxe edition with the included Elite skins, but thought it would be silly, but that's until I looked at the PSN store and saw Battlefront 2 is selling a "Hoth Edition" that includes those skins. So there's something to consider.
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    PackersDK wrote: »
    This is hilarious!

He asks for an opinion and the thread immediately becomes a warning about not listening to other posters opinions. Apparently stating your opinion these days aren’t enough. The world needs to know you have the right one. And what giant ***** anyone diagreeing is.

Game is worth it a half price. But a glance at the first few pages of this forum will tell you, what issues there are. You decide if you can live with them.

Exactly, there are folks who post here like they're talking about their religion and anyone who doesn't share their faith is a heretic and will burn in the fires of Hell. I haven't been bashful about criticizing problems in BFV or DICE or EA, yet because I'll also say I'm still having fun playing BFV that sets off some folks and they'll attack me as being a shill for EA or at best a deluded fanboy. It isn't enough that they offer their opinion, they are compelled to trash anyone with a different view. The funniest are the ones who claim to hate the game with a burning passion yet are still playing, or better yet who have claimed to have stop playing yet will slip up and post their reaction to a new patch so obviously they are in fact still playing--it's hard to take seriously anyone like that.
  • parkingbrake
    rifle77 wrote: »
    Too me ? Yes it's well worth it. I would suggest watching some youtube videos and come to your own conclusion though. Asking strangers in the game forum, will not work well for you because half of these people are a bunch of butt hurt whiners who will not give you non biased answer anyhow.

What does this even mean? He asked for an opinion, which is fundamentally a biased answer. Yes, he will get some opinions on these forums that this game is not worth buying. Many people, myself included, feel we didn't get an experience worth the price of admission with BFV. Does that make us "butt hurt" (what are you, 5?) whiners, or people with an opinion (a biased viewpoint) different than yours? Why didn't you just give him a yes or no answer and leave it at that? To answer OP, no, it's not worth it, IN MY OPINION.

It's one thing for someone to dislike this game based on real factors like the poor network performance or frequent crashing (which some players experience) or even because they just don't care for the maps or whatever. When asked for their opinion they have every right to say they don't recommend BFV for reasons a, b and c. It's a different matter when people with complaints get so melodramatic that they seem to be losing touch with reality. Sometimes they clearly don't know what they're talking about or at times posters will even say things that are flat-out false, they are that emotionally invested in hating this game.

E.g., DICE messed up (again) and accidentally buffed the AP mine, they've acknowledged this and said it will be fixed, and there have been multiple threads about this matter. But yesterday another guy started another thread about how OP the AP mine is and how it needs to be nerfed or better yet removed--he can't even be bothered to take a moment to see what has already repeatedly been posted about this before grabbing a pitchfork and a torch and posting his own rant. I'm sorry, but I just cannot take someone like that seriously, much less the guys who say that there is no anti-cheat in BFV when hack user forums have posts from cheaters who have been banned. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, nobody is entitled to just make up something and present it as fact.
  • Bumstag1
    60 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It's not worth it. Got it day 1, by February I completed literally every challenge the game had to offer... then it's just boring. No balance, visibility is still an issue but the most important thing is that there is no new content.
  • parkingbrake
    pest174 wrote: »
    Wait until the roadmap is revealed next week. Apparently it's for the game's entirety, instead of a season.

I was initially going to joke and say wait until the Super Premium Deluxe edition with the included Elite skins, but thought it would be silly, but that's until I looked at the PSN store and saw Battlefront 2 is selling a "Hoth Edition" that includes those skins. So there's something to consider.

The roadmap will mean nothing unless it contains the sort of commitment we used to get from EA in regard to the paid DLC formerly used in this series. Once those DLC were announced they followed through and we got the maps we were supposed to (although they might have short-changed one DLC in BF1 as they were already headed in the wrong direction with that game). But in BF4 the expansion packs all appeared with four maps each, they even threw in a few free one-map DLC available to everyone late in the series.

PUBG had a big "roadmap" project awhile back with a website to back it up, FIX PUBG was the name. When it became obvious that most of the fixes were not going to happen (at least in the time frame announced) the online promotion for the project quietly disappeared. So in my view a roadmap means nothing in a game using a Live Service model where they can do as much or as little as they want. I don't need a roadmap, I need to see bugs being fixed and new content appearing, sadly without paid DLC I don't expect much of that to happen. We'll get a few new maps, the new factions will just be skins, and this will end up a smaller and less successful game than it should have been. So far as Battlefield is concerned, EA has lost its way.
  • disposalist
    8438 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    xKusagamix wrote: »
    I've got close to 200 hours into it and 80% of that was a good time. Just know there are balance issues and bugs, if you can accept that it's a good time.

I would also recommend playing to the meta at first to avoid some of the frustration that comes with that imbalance. That meta in my mind if assault, 3x Semi-Auto, and running with the pack. After you get the hang of the TTK and maps you can start to mess with people in some fun ways. Did you know absolutely no team expects a dynamite trap to be set on resupply stations in their controlled points :-) Mwhahahahahaha
    Exactly. If you just use the OP stuff, then there's some enjoyment to be had. Great... Not.

"Having fun" to me in a Battlefield game doesn't mean a crap tons of kills so OPed guns are not a must.
    Like to use a variety of guns and tactics? BF1 is more fun then. Why buy BF5?
  • MonicasCigar
    112 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    No.
    "Body is 2 characters too short."

Fine, No again.
  • xKusagamix
    896 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 15
    xKusagamix wrote: »

Like to use a variety of guns and tactics? BF1 is more fun then. Why buy BF5?
    Well, BF1 does feel more like a war game, but i prefer the shooting mechanic in BFV. But not the Semi Auto, its way off balance.
  • pest174
    811 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

The roadmap will mean nothing unless it contains the sort of commitment we used to get from EA in regard to the paid DLC formerly used in this series. Once those DLC were announced they followed through and we got the maps we were supposed to (although they might have short-changed one DLC in BF1 as they were already headed in the wrong direction with that game). But in BF4 the expansion packs all appeared with four maps each, they even threw in a few free one-map DLC available to everyone late in the series.

PUBG had a big "roadmap" project awhile back with a website to back it up, FIX PUBG was the name. When it became obvious that most of the fixes were not going to happen (at least in the time frame announced) the online promotion for the project quietly disappeared. So in my view a roadmap means nothing in a game using a Live Service model where they can do as much or as little as they want. I don't need a roadmap, I need to see bugs being fixed and new content appearing, sadly without paid DLC I don't expect much of that to happen. We'll get a few new maps, the new factions will just be skins, and this will end up a smaller and less successful game than it should have been. So far as Battlefield is concerned, EA has lost its way.

From my understanding of how this industry works, during the planning phase, way before the game is even announced, content such DLC is discussed over during said planning. It's highly unlikely the team waits around until a financial threshold in sales is met before working on future content.

The roadmap we're receiving this week entails content for either the entire year, or the game's entire life cycle. That right there sounds no different than Premium. With premium we received a placeholder with names, potential dates, and absolutely no guarantee of what the content might turn out. As you mentioned with BF1, that game had delayed DLC and expansions that broke the 4 map mold. (I don't quite understand why 4 maps per pack was the industry standard, but perhaps it was a flawed one).

Sure, the content drought sucks, but as I mentioned before, and agree with you on this aspect, I rather the bugs get fixed before forcing the devs to cram out half-baked content. If Live Service gives them some breathing room to complete the game while releasing content at their pace, so be it.

My only takeaway from this experience is to stop buying games at launch. Let the publishers entice me with a finished, awesome product before I drop $60-$80 on a game.

• Sk1lld
    540 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You can do a Origin access trial of BFV and try it for your self. You don't need us for that.
  • panzermo1
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I bought BFV today with the 50% off, i own all BF games, in my honest opinion BFV looks like an early access game, so much content missing, only two maps worth playing right now, luck it me that i wait for a bargain!
  • Austacker
    430 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 16
    panzermo1 wrote: »
    I bought BFV today with the 50% off, i own all BF games, in my honest opinion BFV looks like an early access game, so much content missing, only two maps worth playing right now, luck it me that i wait for a bargain!

Don't know if it's a bargain. It's about the right price I think. 50% off for a 50% completed game?

Even then, not sure if it's even worth it at this price.

The Live Service Model is one of the biggest corporate driven jokes in gaming today. I hope this model dies a swift death, especially in this franchise.

I don't believe there's enough criticism at all out there on the abuse and deceit around this model, yet alone the egregious extent which DICE and EA have manipulated it in Battlefield 5.

The Live Service model in Battlefield 5 is utterly disgusting. DICE and EA deserve very drop of negative feedback and open criticism they receive for the way they've implemented it in this game.
  • Titan_Awaken
    609 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Austacker wrote: »
    panzermo1 wrote: »

Don't know if it's a bargain. It's about the right price I think. 50% off for a 50% completed game?

Even then, not sure if it's even worth it at this price.

The Live Service Model is one of the biggest corporate driven jokes in gaming today. I hope this model dies a swift death, especially in this franchise.

I don't believe there's enough criticism at all out there on the abuse and deceit around this model, yet alone the egregious extent which DICE and EA have manipulated it in Battlefield 5.

The Live Service model in Battlefield 5 is utterly disgusting. DICE and EA deserve very drop of negative feedback and open criticism they receive for the way they've implemented it in this game.

I agree. I'm not personally against the Live Service model in general but what EA did with BFV was/is just abhorrent:

"We'll charge you full price for half of the pie but don't worry! We will give you the other half in due course!"

Excuses excuses.
  • Astr0damus
    2901 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Sk1lld wrote: »
    You can do a Origin access trial of BFV and try it for your self. You don't need us for that.

Not everyone plays on PC
  • parkingbrake
    From my understanding of how this industry works, during the planning phase, way before the game is even announced, content such DLC is discussed over during said planning. It's highly unlikely the team waits around until a financial threshold in sales is met before working on future content.
    But we have evidence that they will indeed abandon work in progress, e.g. there were three night maps in development for BF4 (at the time I played with a DICE dev who did lighting effects and worked on those maps) but only one was actually completed and released, the others were dropped. If we know EA is capable of deciding to kill off content that won't generate revenue (or at least enough revenue) then why wouldn't they do the same now, and tell DICE to stop working on something for BFV if they don't see it paying off? For all we know they had half a dozen battles in Russian planned but they'll only do three to save money, they've done it before.
    The roadmap we're receiving this week entails content for either the entire year, or the game's entire life cycle. That right there sounds no different than Premium. With premium we received a placeholder with names, potential dates, and absolutely no guarantee of what the content might turn out.
    In BF4 we had the names of the upcoming maps months ahead of time, as much as six months, and in every case EA delivered what they had announced. If every time the scheduled DLC arrived on time and with all the promised content (maps, assignments, weapons, vehicles) what more guarantee would you need? Surely a 100% fulfillment rate is the best guarantee a company can offer. But that was with paid DLC (Premium really had nothing to do with it) and now that we have this feeble Live Service business model a guarantee would seem to be exactly what they need to put on the table.
    Sure, the content drought sucks, but as I mentioned before, and agree with you on this aspect, I rather the bugs get fixed before forcing the devs to cram out half-baked content. If Live Service gives them some breathing room to complete the game while releasing content at their pace, so be it.
    The key ingredient missing from that process is the money to pay for development--with no paid DLC and so far no skin sales it seems EA has this game on a tight budget (all the recycled BF1 content was the first clue, the slow rate of repairs was the second, vehicle models being reused even though that resulted in fictional vehicles was the third). I don't think time is the issue, it's that EA won't commit the resources to BFV that they poured into BF4 (both emergency repairs and massive expansion) because so far BFV has no ongoing revenue.
    My only takeaway from this experience is to stop buying games at launch. Let the publishers entice me with a finished, awesome product before I drop $60-$80 on a game.
    I hear you, I'm feeling the same. I swore to never pre-order again after BF4's horrendous release and I've stuck to that. I said I wouldn't buy BF1 because of how EA gutted the clan community by taking away server control, and I stuck to that. So if there is a BF6 I think I'll wait a bit after release to make up my mind, and if it's Live Service then maybe I'll pick it up for half price because in EA's hands Live Service appears to be the kiss of death for a game, at least in terms of expansion and a long lifespan.