This Week in Battlefield V

New JackFrag's video makes me want to crawl up into a ball and cry.

YourLocalPlumber
2890 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
edited March 17
I've never seen such pathetic way to try and hide the fact that Dice totally screwed up with BF5. He made 3 points - Lets discuss all of them.

1st: Communication between developers and players could be better. Let me rephrase that for you Jack - Communication between players and developers could at least exist on some levels because right now it doesn't. The only communication we have now is with the people who are asking us what they should fix next. There is no communication with teams who balance the game, teams who develop new content (No roadmap, not a single word on future content at all). I would very much like to talk to people who decided on balancing vehicles and weapons in this game to hear their excuse for this mess. I don't accept type of communication that we have now aka Players - When are we getting new content? Developer - Soon™

2nd Game engine holding back their game design and player usability It doesn't. We had a ton of things working properly in previous games running on the same engine and they worked fine.
Assignments and medals tracked all at the same time. Symmetrical vehicle balance worked absolutely fine. Vehicle and weapon customization worked flawlessly for 4 games in a row, and now all of a sudden it doesn't work? Are you kidding me? What happened? Stars misaligned? Visibility was great in all games. Even BF1 that is pretty much 90% graphically similar to BF5 got superior visibility.
Class balance. You have BF1 where class balance was great. Every class had advantages and disadvantages. But NOOOOOO. You had to screw it all up by giving Assault most powerful weapons and those stupid MMGs for support that nobody asked for.

So tell me please, which of those problems is held back by the engine?

3rd EA got a decision to make on what they want BF5 to be That decision is already made which is noticeable judging by the content we're getting. EA already decided to finish most post launch development. Dice is just finishing post launch content and will be spoon-feeding us that content little by little to cover up their failure. Mark my words as we're getting updated roadmap next week. ----> We will be getting a single faction along with 2 or max 3 maps in the next 5 or 6 months along with meaningless content such as additional cosmetics, lazy limited time game modes, badly balanced vehicles and weapons.

Heres the original video. What do you think? You think he is telling the truth or saying what he was paid to say?

Post edited by IIPrest0nII on

Comments

• YourLocalPlumber
    2890 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    1. What are you talking about doesn't exist???? We get WEEKLY updates from the developers on the forums and on Reddit. They address most concerns they feel need to be addressed. Just because there's not a constant dialogue and they're not responding to EVERY thread ever made doesn't mean there's no communication.
    2. The game engine is the back end. Just because it's worked on previous versions of software doesn't mean it's magically going to 100% work on newer versions. Between BF3 and BFV, there's been 2 whole new versions of C++ (and C#). Things break and things aren't compatible anymore. Code breaks on a fundamental level. And that's just the source. Game engines update to work completely differently. One update might calculate gravity by object.pos.y - GRAVITY (gravity is all caps because it's a constant). The next major version can be object.pos.y - getGravity() which may return a forumla that's exactly GRAVITY constant. It happens. The difference between Java 7 (legacy finished around July 2015) and Java 11 (current version for Long Term Support). There's also been significant increases to C++ and it can be made worse if they were running the previous LTS version (C++ 98 vs C++ (20)11). Things break. Just because they work once in a game 10 years ago doesn't mean it's going to work now.
    3. EA isn't the developer. They're the publisher and parent company of DICE, the creator. EA has the final say in what DICE creates. So DICE could want to make the best game they possibly could but EA pulls a "Microtransactions" and "Do this by <date> or you're not getting a bonus this year" for the DICE developers. DICE simply doesn't have enough time to do all of this work. They're already pushing sometimes up to 60 hours a week just developing. Least you could do is acknowledge it.
    Most of these points don't make much sense and it's clear that anyone that brings up any of them (especially point #2) that they've never developed anything software wise in their life, let alone over extended periods of time (5+ years). DICE has been working with BF for almost 20 years. Just because you were able to do something in BF 1942 doesn't mean you can be able to do that in BFV. 2 completely different games and 2 (effectively) completely different languages, engines, and hardware capabilities. It's nearly impossible to predict what can happen in the far future and to optimize for 10+ years from now is not in a company's best interest.
    So yes, the game is broken. No, you shouldn't stop complaining about it. But yes you should be complaining and actually using your brain when you do it vs just regurgitating what someone else said that still knows nothing about the back end, front end, or any other end of the development chain there can possibly be. So try and understand a little. Be constructive and patient.

You're telling me that because of a different code Dice is unable to make all Assignments to track at the same time. There isn't even a screen shake slider in the game. You think thats also because code doesn't allow for it?
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Assignments and medals tracked all at the same time.
    This part is incorrect, there were problems with assignments and medals and unlocks in previous titles, and threads about that in the official forum (same place we are today). Assignments didn't have to be activated (a bizarre addition to the process which I don't understand) but there was no guarantee they would work even if in theory they were all tracked at once--sometimes they didn't track at all.

I share your disgust with how DICE has either managed to do away with many things which used to work, but pretending that everything worked well in previous titles just isn't true, and that applies to assignments. I can remember the angry threads about players not getting their unlock or whatever, so this is nothing new.
  • YourLocalPlumber
    edited March 17
    Assignments and medals tracked all at the same time.
    This part is incorrect, there were problems with assignments and medals and unlocks in previous titles, and threads about that in the official forum (same place we are today). Assignments didn't have to be activated (a bizarre addition to the process which I don't understand) but there was no guarantee they would work even if in theory they were all tracked at once--sometimes they didn't track at all.

I share your disgust with how DICE has either managed to do away with many things which used to work, but pretending that everything worked well in previous titles just isn't true, and that applies to assignments. I can remember the angry threads about players not getting their unlock or whatever, so this is nothing new.

I did happen, but it surely did not happen to an extent that we have in BF5 where people literally could not unlock ToW assignments for weeks, not to mention one of the stupidest things in BF5 - Armory. Why do I even have to unlock a thing or be given one for free (Ribeyrolles and M1897 shotgun) only to have them put into armory instead of my inventory, its confusing af. So many people (Myself included) had issues where we would unlock something only to find out that its nowhere to be found. I never had this issue in BF3 or BF4 because it wasn't as common there. Hell even BF1 did a better job at giving you the reward you've earned.

As for activating assignments, its simple - Artificial progression. Dice deliberately prolonging our progression because the progression that we have now is very basic and minimal. If I weren't so lazy to change my assignments, I would already have golden skins for most of the guns in the game. But since I'm too lazy to leave the game and change them, I have about a billion of unfinished assignments in my inventory.
  • PackersDK
    757 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Any evidence of JackFrags actually being paid to say certain things?

I’m not having a go at you, but just genuinely curious. It would be quite sensationel if you had evidence.

• PackersDK
    757 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited March 17
    So no evidence then?

I’m not trolling or being naive. Perhaps they do censor themselves. But that’s not quite the same as taking money or something for saying specific things. You do understand it’s quite a serious accusation?

You have every right criticizing the game, but not being as critical as you is not the same as being bought.
  • Hawxxeye
    5576 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I fully agree with the sentiment in the the Original Post
  • Hercules728
    203 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    In the video above I couldn't help but notice the lack of any recoil on any of the guns used . There was no spread as well , zero muzzle rise . The player is firing full auto as well . Two of the guns used have huge recoil in full auto . I've played one of those weapons a ton , not sure how that is possible ?
  • DingoKillr
    3548 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    1) Agree, there was a path where players could indirectly talk to Dev, this forum and reddit. However also had CTE (reddit and here) to be more direct. Now it is twitter and discord only. This then left a minority(game Changers) of a minority(CTE) that had their feedback listen too.

2) While bugs can be inherited, we also don't know what has really changed like security, player stats server, location of servers or even the inter-networking (changing server farm owners) can create problems that can not easily be solved. However there are things that seem to be taking a backward step. It looks as if DICE had bigger plans but it got cut short. The armory is just meant to be the shop.

3) EA makes decision based risk/reward, some thing that happen to the game have nothing to do with EA.