Is Battlefield V good and why?

TheUltimatBadAss
postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
The question is simple and has been asked in different ways many times and although there are some informative posts out there I am still undecided as the threads become less clear and in some cases abusive as they age.
I am interested in everyone’s opinion even if this is your first Battlefield game but I am very interested in the opinion of those that played bfbc2, bf3 and bf4 as these are titles that I have played.

If I can briefly explain my experience it might help others to gauge if this game is for me, I started playing cod4mw, cod4mw2, cod:black ops and cod:world at war each one when they were released but the teamwork aspect did not feel very tangible to me.
Following a friend’s recommendation I migrated to playing the battlefield franchise starting with bfbc2 and bf3 when that was released and to me they are very different from one another but I very much enjoyed playing them because I feel that both titles coerce players to work as a team not just through the basic rules of the multiplayer matches but also through thoughtful map design and limitations of resources. Even today I can join a server and most of the time that PTFO feel is present with players interacting and strategizing with one another. In essence it felt like the developers saw making a game as the priority over realism and this is in line with what I want out of a game. The art direction and pacing being different did not matter to me if anything the differences add to the positive experience I get from them.
Eventually I bought bf4 but despite all of the features and graphics I did not feel that positive teamwork experience so much. It felt generic to me, like people were not really playing with one another but rather like people were playing next to each other. The game to me does not come across as horrible but not particularly very good either, I don’t feel comfortable saying that it’s somewhere in the middle but I would probably just say that overall it does not give me a positive experience.

If I can try to summarize I don’t really want bfV to be an update of bfbc2 or bf3 with ww2 skins (although that probably wouldn’t be bad if it was) neither am I searching for realism as a priority (bfbc2 had space like jumps, smg sniping and you could break wood fences with your knife and none of it was a problem or a distraction from the game). I want implicit teamwork through the explicit advantages and disadvantages of the games assets (bfbc2 tanks are naturally strong but they don’t repair themselves, require multiple mouse stroke to manoeuvre or aim and have visual noise applied to the view screen).

I know that this post is long despite the question but I ask that you please read and answer objectively to the best of your ability.

Thank you

Comments

• ENKkii87
    200 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Barely any maps makes for repetitive play.
  • ENKkii87
    200 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Gunplay is really good though.
  • Halcyon_Creed_N7
    1132 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    For me it's not a good Battlefield game at all. Definitely a total downgrade in EVERY SINGLE aspect from previous games other than graphics. Everything about the game down to even something as simple as the UI is worse. It's also a boring and frustrating game to play. In the, what, 5 months it's been out I've only played it for only ~35 hours, but previous games I would have played hundreds.

If this game didn't have the Battlefield name I might like it more, but because it's part of one of my favorite franchises of all time I had certain expectations going in and this game didn't meet a single one of them.
  • Ciza211
    40 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    + and -

+ Occasional gunplay
    + graphics and efects
    + Amazing soundtrack
    + Some maps is good(Aras, Twisted, Aerodrom)
    + Thanks to this game . Because lot of peoples still playing BF 3, BF 4, BF1

- Unbalance mechanics servers = 5 vs 18 , 14 vs 30.
    - One class over all ! Assault have all what do you want in game and i SAY WHY! .
    - No rented servers
    - Very weak content
    - Weapons from BF 1 ( WW2 has many many iconics weapons, why dice add weapons from BF1 ? ) Weapons which they werent use in WW2. (Turner, Sebls, Ribero and failed prototypes. ) Dice EFFORT thats what i want little effort.
    - Maps few maps is good but others? Absoluty trash nothing special from WW2.
    - Tankplay is absoluty nonexistent
    - Bugs toons bugs
    - glitches(Very fundamental glitches in game)
    - Netcode
    - Allied vs Naziss wtf? Customization absoluty does not fit WW2 soldiers.
    - Bolt action rifles still underrated. Dice!.
    - Cheaters this game have absoluty non existent cheat protection. When you report cheaters they still can play. Because logic.
    - Visibility and lighting maps poor.
    - Flying mechanics are poor.
    - No supression
    - Combat styles. We could have toons combat style what we playing. And we got two perks, which are totally useless. Who change it? Minimum players.
    - Dice logic in released 60 Euro ord 70 EURO delux after one months game was in sale for 30-50% down gg!. Now game is constantly in week sale for 23.99. IS it proof how good this game is? hmm.I do not remember BF 3, BF 4, BF 1 after one month they were brutal fall price.
    - Copy paste models
    - Excuses types TOW is in early 1940 LOL omg. People who say that no coment, we have weapons what was add later to war, tanks after 1940 . But no we are in 1940.
    - Live service is exactly why game are bad in realeased. Why we cant good game in early with quality content.

I'm not saying it's not fun, but developers could bring epic absoluty epic WW2 action shooter. And bring average game with BR mod. And i saying again money money for little work.

Think about it. Massiv WW2 scenarios, iconics battles from front . Naval scenarios, d-day scenario. Fractions in game we have USA with special soldiers, tanks, weapon, customization. We have Ussr soldiers with iconic weapons, vehicles, tanks. We have Japan, or French . We have iconics maps, Stalingrad, Berlin, London, French maps. African desert. And that may not be historically accurate.
    But Dice would have to do a little bit of effort.

Ach.

• llPhantom_Limbll
    4832 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    No, not really. But there is a chance for it to become good if Dice puts more effort.
  • SirBobdk
    3558 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    No, not really. But there is a chance for it to become good if Dice puts more effort.
    Agree, it has great potential, but it's just too little, too late and it doesn't seem like we can expect much more. The information level is very low.
  • parkingbrake
    2458 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I have only one way to judge if a game is "good", and that is by whether or not I enjoy it and will keep playing it over time. I enjoy BFV, and I'm going to keep playing it to see where it goes even though I'm not optimistic about that because EA has chosen to do away with paid DLC which funded the expansion of previous BF titles. I can't see this game expanding at anything like the rate of BF4 which tripled in size over two years.

I like some of the changes they made with this game, like doing away with most 3D spotting and ending infinite ammo for most vehicles. But the UI is awkward and pointlessly annoying, the network performance is poor, the anti-cheat seems weak (and EA's cheat-tolerant policies don't help), and worst of all we have no rented servers so the custom game formats so many of us enjoyed are gone and there are no admins to balance teams or kick high-ping players or take out the trash in the case of cheaters and trolls. What this feels like is a console game, one size fits all, and I doubt EA wants it to keep going past the point where BF6 has been released.

So I'll have fun while it lasts, and when BF6 launches I'll probably wait a bit to see if the horrible Live Service model is going to handicap that game too before deciding whether or not to buy it. If they're going to put it on sale for half price immediately after launch then maybe I'll try it, but EA has managed to erode my loyalty to this franchise enough that it's no longer automatic that I'll buy a BF game.

So my answer boils down to this--the game itself is not bad, but the corporate policies behind the game are crippling it and will probably result in it being a smaller game with a shorter lifespan than it should have had.
  • moosehunter1969
    1106 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    SirBobdk wrote: »
    Imo BFV is the worse BF I have played. It's still fun but I expected more.
    • Maps are poorly designed and without identity
    • Awful Netcode
    • Unbalanced weapons/classes
    • Unbalanced Air with bad physics / mechanics
    • Boring vehicle play
    • Tons of bugs
    • Poor visibility
    • Semi sniper sim game
    • Awful upgrade trees that makes no sence in many cases
    • No rental servers. Anonymous game with anonymous players on anonymous servers.
    • No friends left to play with. They all left.

I’ll counter that.
    1/ amazing maps with so many nuances that every time I play I find new things, new routes etc. Each game mode on a specific map feels like playing on a different map.
    2/ Netcode. What exactly does this mean. I use a One X with decent broadband and the game plays smoothly. Everything feels fluid and reacts as it should.
    3/ Each class feels unique and has a role to play. If you play medic like assault you’ll get mullered. Learn to play the classes as they are meant to be played and you’ll get on just fine.
    4/ can’t comment as I rarely use it but the planes look and sound awesome buzzing overhead.
    5/ Use vehicles as they are supposed to be used and have a blast. They feel powerful to use but can easily be destroyed by getting into a sticky position as in real life. Don’t sit camping with them as that is boring.
    6/ at this stage bugs are minimal. I rarely experience any bugs and the ones I do aren’t ganebreaking. You have to remember a 64 player online battle has billions of calculations and variables going on at the same time it’s inevitable that some glitches will occur but overall the gameplay is smooth.
    7/ Visibility is fine if your playing in high res with a decent high res tv/monitor. Can see enemies just fine on One X and OLED tv, can’t speak for other set ups.
    8/ if you play smart, use cover, don’t run in predictable patterns or straight lines you will be fine. Do any of the above and you are easy meat. Sniper sim is an exaggerated term. There are plenty of medics and supports running around.
    9/ Uograde trees that actually make sense and make a realistic difference to the handling of your weapon.
    10/ I’ll give you that one but it does look as though something may be happening with this.
    11/ Some people don’t want to adapt. I rarely play with friends but always join a squad. I resupply and heal them and even without verbal communication it gets reciprocated. Not always but at the end of the day I’m playing with humans some of which will always want to do their own thing. The introduction of attrition has vastly improved the regular supplying of consumables by team mates despite the resupply stations.
    Also the complaining about women in the game. They aren’t that frequent on the battlefield but when they are it clearly shows that there were people who wanted to play as them. However I certainly wouldn’t use them as models for some of the uniforms in TOW etc as frankly they do look ridiculous but nothing at all gamebreaking whatsoever.
    There are many other aspects of BFV I really like.
    I don’t understand what people are on about when they talk about cluttered graphics. If you want to fight in a sterile arena that looks nothing like a real place then the COD series is for you. If you want to play in environments that actually look like real places stick with BF and BFV more than ever gets this across as they absolutely nail it.
    The attrition system. Love it. Really makes you think about what to do, where to go. I rarely run out of ammo, I’m being resupplied far more than I ever was in previous titles. Likewise health and revives. Gives a real meaning and purpose to the support and medic classes.

Now what I think should be better.
    1/ Strange design decisions. The assignment system and armoury make no sense, hope these are amended in later patches.
    2/ Sometimes due to players quitting servers become unbalanced with too many players on one team. Server needs to be able to switch players over to balance numbers.
    3/ The wrong plane and troops for the Germans in Airborne, why oh why?

Just remember nearly every BF game has been slated at launch, rightly or wrongly. BF4 was hideous, BF1 was ripped to shreds on this forum (wrongly IMHO). Now this forum is full of praise for it. Likewise BF4. What’s the bets when the next BF game comes out we get the same cycle all over again.
  • NuthinButSteel
    148 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 17
    SirBobdk wrote: »
    Imo BFV is the worse BF I have played. It's still fun but I expected more.
    • Maps are poorly designed and without identity
    • Awful Netcode
    • Unbalanced weapons/classes
    • Unbalanced Air with bad physics / mechanics
    • Boring vehicle play
    • Tons of bugs
    • Poor visibility
    • Semi sniper sim game
    • Awful upgrade trees that makes no sence in many cases
    • No rental servers. Anonymous game with anonymous players on anonymous servers.
    • No friends left to play with. They all left.

Just remember nearly every BF game has been slated at launch, rightly or wrongly. BF4 was hideous, BF1 was ripped to shreds on this forum (wrongly IMHO). Now this forum is full of praise for it. Likewise BF4. What’s the bets when the next BF game comes out we get the same cycle all over again.

This is just too true, I remember all the negative feedback bf1 got but now that the community has a new game to bash (bf5) bf1 looks like a masterpiece in everyone's eyes. Can't wait when the next title launches to see the cycle repeat itself. @moosehunter1969