Weekly BF

New JackFrag's video makes me want to crawl up into a ball and cry.

Comments

• GrinddalDDG
    393 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 17
    My opinion is that EA removed premium and are knowingly giving us a discount version of BF, because they then know we will be crying for premium, and then when they give it back, they come off as the good guys...
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3410 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    warslag wrote: »
    I've never liked JackFrag's videos. I can't really stand him. He was such an opportunist in the way he got involved in Battlefield. I don't think he even played Battlefield 2. But when BF3 came out he took the opportunity to put himself up there as Mr Battlefield. He had a bit of gaming experience as a teenage CS:GO player and perhaps played in some organised matches. But like so many YouTubers and streamers he is completely fake. There was also Westie. Both of them seemed like extremely good players from the start of Battlefield 3 and it was very suspicious to me. I remember playing against his CG clan and they were a nasty bunch.

All those influencers are just opportunists. I've always wondered how they always have perfect hit reg and never seem to suffer from cheating like other players. When you play video games you are susceptible to manipulation because you are constantly being bombarded with information. You hardly ever see anyone even talk about it. The situation just degrades over time. You can see it in the negative behaviour of players in chat and cheating as well. Plus these weird bandwagons that pop up and are becoming more and more disturbing. You push people so far and there's a push back eventually. All the decent and honest players get smashed in the middle when all they want is a decent game.

I guess that was a rant lol.

I remember JackFrags getting involved with some of the DayZ cheating that FrankieonPCin1080p did, although I think Jack may have been unaware of Frankie's nonsense. In fact, quite a few British gaming YouTubers were involved with Frankie's scandals back in the day.

Indeed, it was quite strange that a lot of prominent BF YouTubers of today joined - almost completely and simultaneously - during the start of BF3's lifecycle. It's obvious that BF3 was when the franchise officially became mainstream, especially when it started to compete with Modern Warfare 3 ... people used to give MW3 a 0/10 score on Metacritic, whilst mentioning that BF3 was a much 'better' game. People like Westie, JackFrags and XFactor didn't have anything to do with the franchise until BF3 came along. At least LevelCap started with BF2 ... I think.

One can still make the argument that joining a franchise 'later' isn't necessarily a bad thing. TheRussianBadger only joined the franchise with BC1 (and he did pretty well, until he ended up losing his mind over BF4). We even got people like DannyonPC, and even Birgirpall, who made some of the best BF3 videos ever. We even had some decent smaller sised channels (like AKA-ART, FabianChills, etc) join BF after BF4, BFH and BF1.
  • bigiain
    297 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I wouldn't go as far as blaming the youtubers for the state of the game, but I do roll my eyes every time someone goes on about the potential of this game or how good the gun play is. We've been hearing those phrases for a very long time.
  • CHAMMOND1992
    1204 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    1. What are you talking about doesn't exist???? We get WEEKLY updates from the developers on the forums and on Reddit. They address most concerns they feel need to be addressed. Just because there's not a constant dialogue and they're not responding to EVERY thread ever made doesn't mean there's no communication.
    2. The game engine is the back end. Just because it's worked on previous versions of software doesn't mean it's magically going to 100% work on newer versions. Between BF3 and BFV, there's been 2 whole new versions of C++ (and C#). Things break and things aren't compatible anymore. Code breaks on a fundamental level. And that's just the source. Game engines update to work completely differently. One update might calculate gravity by object.pos.y - GRAVITY (gravity is all caps because it's a constant). The next major version can be object.pos.y - getGravity() which may return a forumla that's exactly GRAVITY constant. It happens. The difference between Java 7 (legacy finished around July 2015) and Java 11 (current version for Long Term Support). There's also been significant increases to C++ and it can be made worse if they were running the previous LTS version (C++ 98 vs C++ (20)11). Things break. Just because they work once in a game 10 years ago doesn't mean it's going to work now.
    3. EA isn't the developer. They're the publisher and parent company of DICE, the creator. EA has the final say in what DICE creates. So DICE could want to make the best game they possibly could but EA pulls a "Microtransactions" and "Do this by <date> or you're not getting a bonus this year" for the DICE developers. DICE simply doesn't have enough time to do all of this work. They're already pushing sometimes up to 60 hours a week just developing. Least you could do is acknowledge it.
    Most of these points don't make much sense and it's clear that anyone that brings up any of them (especially point #2) that they've never developed anything software wise in their life, let alone over extended periods of time (5+ years). DICE has been working with BF for almost 20 years. Just because you were able to do something in BF 1942 doesn't mean you can be able to do that in BFV. 2 completely different games and 2 (effectively) completely different languages, engines, and hardware capabilities. It's nearly impossible to predict what can happen in the far future and to optimize for 10+ years from now is not in a company's best interest.
    So yes, the game is broken. No, you shouldn't stop complaining about it. But yes you should be complaining and actually using your brain when you do it vs just regurgitating what someone else said that still knows nothing about the back end, front end, or any other end of the development chain there can possibly be. So try and understand a little. Be constructive and patient.

Nice response. Mine would have been a lot more crude because his rant is really dumb. Especially not having a clue how games are developed.
  • GrinddalDDG
    393 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    PackersDK wrote: »
    Well they do take gifts, they get invited to overseas events quite often with everything paid, from planetickets to food to hotels. Do you thnk they want that revoked?

They get free games, free merchandise, free exposure at events..

Hell I remember Westie mentioning once getting his rig paid for by EA.

If that isn’t getting paid, I dunno what is..

Just look at what happened to LevelCap when he was critical of bf1...

Also, I find that especially JackFrags seems very stuck up his own bum.

Look, I know these things, and my posts aren’t ment as defending YTs in general or JackFrags in particular. But there is a tendency to jump from disagreement/dislike to just outright accusing YTs of being bought, without evidence.

Pointing out as the OP did, that they’re unlikely to disclaim any such dishonesty is not an argument at all. Nor for that matter is him being “...very stuck up his own bum”, even if you have a point ;-)

There’s also a difference between censoring yourself and being bought to say specific things. JackFrags’s video referred to by the OP is titled “Battlefield hangs in the balance”, not quite a big sell for would-be buyers of BFV.

But as I said, I’m not here defending anyone. I just wish there would be some levelheadedness and fairness in these discussions. Especially considering that the big YTs actually has been rather critical of BFV.

Let me start of by saying, the stuck up his own bum, had no bearing on my argument, that was just a sidenote 😅

I think it comes down, to what you and I define as being bought.

Do I think they are being paid cash, to say specific things, no, not at all.

Do I think they are less harsh in their judgment of BF V because they are gamechangers and because they do not want to loose said benefits, yes, yes I do.

The title battlefield hangs in a thread, would be way worse had he not been a gamechanger, and it wouldmhave come way earlier.

Do I think that is being bought, yes in a sense, however, I do agree, that in a litteral sense, this is not the case.
  • Kongo030
    665 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Problem is youtuber caring about unique content. That is either them playing more awesome than 99% of the playerbase. This leads to them crying about things that kill them without skill or without them being able to counter. Unfortunately Jack did that a lot in BF1. Not realizing that this is what most like to have in BF - having a true battlefield not just a FPS death match.
    The second thing they need are dedicated servers so they can set up things to create their content. That's where Dice should cater their needs.
    Gadgets and vehicles are just cool in their eyes when it suits them. In BF1 jack was all over the place when he 'killed the server' with the Ilja Bomber but next video crying about things killing him he can't see.
    I stopped watching these youtubers almost completely. Nicca and a few being the exception.
  • herodes87
    1286 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Stahlmach wrote: »
    1. What are you talking about doesn't exist???? We get WEEKLY updates from the developers on the forums and on Reddit. They address most concerns they feel need to be addressed. Just because there's not a constant dialogue and they're not responding to EVERY thread ever made doesn't mean there's no communication.

Oh please these so called weekly Updates by the Developers are 99% just boring PR speech about things nobody is interested in.
    While they never adress the topics the Community wants and asks:
    New Maps ? No response ! Road map for the like the next six months ? No response ! Balance ? No response ! Costumization of Tank drivers and pilots ? No response ! new factions ? No response ! Body Costumization of the tanks ? No response ! Hardcore ? No response ! etc etc etc

Honestly the new Vehicles are Just different Versions of already existing ones.

Same goes for the guns. Lots of remastered BF1 guns.

But its "free" content. Lol

Actually dice is showing the middle Finger to the Community and No one realize it.

Same about the "free" Content Like Combined Arms, Firestorm and some other stuff. People forgot probably that this stuff was announced as Release Features.

End of March will be the "real" Release of BFV.
  • Pyr0Plazma
    395 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This again? It's almost like people who regularly get sponsored by said company don't want to ruin that relationship....... Wake up people this is nothing new in the world of Battlefield and it's nothing new about the world in general. I bet you don't like every boss/manager at your job. Do you go out and curse them out/tell them how you really feel about them? No because then you wouldn't be employed. Am I carrying water for these guys? Not really, but that being said because of their relationship with EA/DICE I simply take everything they say with a grain of salt.
  • idk1233211
    632 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    OP, reading your post made me feel sick, at least give spaces between your sentences.
  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6
    1485 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Well, respectfully i think Jackfrags and the DICE You Tubers were part and parcel of ruining this game. But i say "respectfully", because ultimately it's up to DICE to make the decisions, not to listen to twenty somethings on you tube trying run a billion dollar company. So, bringing in these more or less teenagers in these "confidential" meetings, should be no surprise as to where we are.

Here's what i sincerely don't understand.

If the 'game engine" is rather bad, how can you decide to keep it going for many years? I would think it needs to be scrapped, and likely will IF there is another game next gen. I did see this video on xbox, and knew there would be a reaction here, but unless i'm missing something (and probably am), i don't understand how his opinion makes any sense under the circumstances. It does seem however, whatever info he received there, didn't make him happy.
  • VOLBANKER
    1047 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    EA is spending $$$ on flying these so-called Youtubers to EA game events.
    If any of these guys are overly critical, they won’t be on the plane next time, which may affect the financial situation of the Youtuber in question negatively (less new content = less viewers = less advertising income, I presume)
    No, they are not bought by EA in the traditional sense, but surely anyone can see they are not unbiased either.

• xBCxSEALxTEAMx6
    1485 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    VOLBANKER wrote: »
    EA is spending $$$ on flying these so-called Youtubers to EA game events.
    If any of these guys are overly critical, they won’t be on the plane next time, which may affect the financial situation of the Youtuber in question negatively (less new content = less viewers = less advertising income, I presume)
    No, they are not bought by EA in the traditional sense, but surely anyone can see they are not unbiased either.

But they're not making any money now. That's likely why they're making a hey. Jacks viewers are half what they were on BF1. Westie is in the duldrums, as is Levelcap. The only time they seem to get viewers, is Apex.

So, if they see they're at risk of having to find meaningful jobs, and not play games all day, you'll start to see the resistance grow.

My view, is EA/DICE should fly US, into these events. Their playerbase, not lobbyists opportunists who don't give a wit about the game, but soley want to make money. It's likely, a much better product in the end, than that of the views of out of touch you tubers.
  • trip1ex
    4912 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 17
    bottom line is they just aren't delivering a great experience any more. There are too many bugs, too many annoying design decisions, too many half-finished questionable features, too many longer term problems never addressed all the while delivering less content. It all adds up to an annoying experience where one just is so turned off that they just abandon the franchise.

If they need to switch engines to something more reliable and malleable in order to turn the ship around then do it even if it means losing destruction. If they have to contract the franchise out to Nintendo in order to get it polished and formed into a fun game at 60fps then do it.

• LinkZeppeloyd
    813 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    trip1ex wrote: »
    bottom line is they just aren't delivering a great experience any more. There are too many bugs, too many annoying design decisions, too many half-finished questionable features, too many longer term problems never addressed all the while delivering less content. It all adds up to an annoying experience where one just is so turned off that they just abandon the franchise.

If they need to switch engines to something more reliable and malleable in order to turn the ship around then do it even if it means losing destruction. If they have to contract the franchise out to Nintendo in order to get it polished and formed into a fun game at 60fps then do it.

They have a template and all the ideas they need for the next great battlefield game. It’s called Battlefield 2. It’s their property, its all there, but they REFUSE to make a real BF game like BF2 because.... edgelords? I don’t know, they’re sitting on a gold mine while claiming to be broke.