Weekly BF

FPS stable but stuttering anyway

ZoopZA
4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited March 16
I'm playing the game at Ultra with the following specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4Ghz
Powercolor RX580 8GB Red Devil
16GB G.Skill RAM, 3200Mhz

I'm capping the Framerate to 60FPS in-game (60hz Monitor), but uncapped I can get well over 100FPS on Ultra. I'm pretty sure my PC isn't underperforming. My FPS never actually drops below 60, but I get weird stutter that makes it feel like I'm playing at less than 30 at times. It was especially bad on the first Nordlys single player mission, seemignly only when I looked in particular directions or in heavy firefights. CPU usage is hovering around 40 - 50%, so I don't think I'm being bottlenecked either.

Has anyone experienced something like this before? I find it completely weird and don't really know what to do. Is it possible that the FPS meter in Origin is just inaccurate?

Comments

• GODtreev0r
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    same problem here
    i5 8400
    16gb ddr4
    gtx 1060
    if u hit 100/120 fps its like the vsync is on or idk whats going on with this game.
  • YourLocalPlumber
    3099 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 17
    It did help me to get rid of "jelly" feeling feel in mouse movement.

Go to the folder where game is installed. Locate bfv.exe --> Right Click on it ---> Properties ---> Compatibility ---> Check "Disable Full Screen Optimization". Apply - Ok.

Tell me if it helped.
  • Carbonic
    1548 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    What you are describing sounds like stuttering. Many things can cause stuttering like settings, drivers, hardware instability, software interference, Windows etc.

First thing I usually do is check if third-party applications and services are causing it by closing down everything I can in the taskbar and if that doesn't work try a proper clean boot as described in: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Secondly, I usually try is a proper clean install of my graphics drivers by using DDU to clean remains of the currently installed one:
    https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
    then make sure to install the latest drivers directly from Nvidia/AMD.
  • Titan_Awaken
    805 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Sounds like your getting some irregularities (spikes) in your frametimes. A lot of people tend to overlook this.

Essentially, when your frametimes change drastically (eg. spiking) you will experience stuttering, however your FPS can still say constant. For example, it can take 0.4 seconds to render the first 30 frames but 0.6 seconds to render the remaining 30 frames and since that isn't even, you will experience stuttering yet your FPS counter still says at 60 FPS.

Try turning V-Sync on and see if that helps.
  • Lahoo_Eckbert
    1284 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Game is either unoptimized or a CPU killer by nature, because I'm seeing some momentary FPS dips which cause the stutter and my GPU isn't maxed out most of the time at 144fps cap.
    So 7700k @ 4.8 is having trouble keeping up.
  • OfficialGamerno1
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Yeh, it can be alot of stuff actually. I would also like u to check the drivers for the soundcard in ur comp. As ive noticed sometimes when my logitech program hits a Jam, it starts stuttering. I have to close the program down or restart it.
  • xxxCoOlBr33zExxx
    3872 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Well Microsoft had a Windows update the other day which had some stuff regarding their game mode feature so wouldnt surprise me if that has a part to do with it.

-CB
  • ZoopZA
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I have Game Mode disabled on Windows 10. I'll have a look if it is maybe responsible for some of the problems.

I have a weird hunch that FFR is interfering with the Origin Overlay's FPS Counter. When I switch FFR off, I get stutters and my FPS drops accordingly. The moment I turn it on I still get stutters but the FPS stays at 60.
  • Titan_Awaken
    805 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    ZoopZA wrote: »
    I have Game Mode disabled on Windows 10. I'll have a look if it is maybe responsible for some of the problems.

I have a weird hunch that FFR is interfering with the Origin Overlay's FPS Counter. When I switch FFR off, I get stutters and my FPS drops accordingly. The moment I turn it on I still get stutters but the FPS stays at 60.

FFR introduces input delay.

As I mentioned before, the FPS counter is most likely correct - you need to check your frametime graph for spikes and other irregularities. Frametime spikes can cause stutters without lowering or changing your FPS whatsoever.

FPS isn't always the most accurate measure for performance. Do a console command to show a frametime graph or use an external program like Afterburner to do so.
  • CaptHotah
    1122 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Try dx11 vs dx12 and future frame rendering in video settings
  • Jinko_itx
    743 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    for some reason, having GPU restriction OFF has caused stuttering even though the framerate was stable so after turning it back on, after a little while the stuttering goes away