Tank you very much

mrtwotimes
733 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
So I often hear people complaining about tanks sitting on the periphery and usually a feeling of "stat padding". This could be true I guess, but from my personal experience most of the time it doesn't make sense to do much else. I don't often see protection between tank and infantry (vice versa). I generally am an aggressive tank player, but the fact that I get zero protection from the team as I progress towards an objective and cover them makes it more effective to sit outside the objective and clear it from there. I would think the most effective way to move forward would be with squads and vehicles working together. Yeah I don't know if I have a point.... just a perspective.

Comments

• rainkloud
    548 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    With blast boost since patch tanks are largely fine. Tanks are generally not supposed to sit on caps any way. As long as they are within effective engagement distance then they are doing their job. Where this notion came the tanks are supposed to be all snake eater and cqc is beyond me. Yeah is someone is sitting 600m away trying to shell then yeah that's not going to help much unless they are zeroed in on something. Otherwise if they're 50-125m away people need to holster that criticism and realize that is where they should be.
  • oXGeminiXo
    355 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    rainkloud wrote: »
    With blast boost since patch tanks are largely fine. Tanks are generally not supposed to sit on caps any way. As long as they are within effective engagement distance then they are doing their job. Where this notion came the tanks are supposed to be all snake eater and cqc is beyond me. Yeah is someone is sitting 600m away trying to shell then yeah that's not going to help much unless they are zeroed in on something. Otherwise if they're 50-125m away people need to holster that criticism and realize that is where they should be.

Agree completely, I think the only time tanks should push onto the objective is when it is crunch time and capping means a win or refresh of tickets. I feel then goings balls out even if you die should be honorable.
  • Dr_X2345
    774 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    As an infantry main, I agree to an extent at least. Obviously tanks are most effective at medium range, taking out buildings from a distance and keeping out of range and attention of AT weaponry, but at the same time, it can be a little annoying to be running onto an objective then just getting obliterated by a tank blast from 100+ metres. And the feeling of charging onto an objective as a tank crushes sand bags and enemy soldiers is pretty darn cool.
  • l_Grand_Vizir_l
    191 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 20
    mrtwotimes wrote: »
    I would think the most effective way to move forward would be with squads and vehicles working together.
    This is how the game is designed and i really like it.
    I mean we were able with tanks in previous BFs to play lonewolf and do really well on objectivs while infantry had to regroup a few soldiers to counter the tank (i mean a decent tank driver of course not the obvious beginner letting you gently put C4 on him).
    Now a lonewolf in tank can't do much more than sit back the line, he does kills but do not really impact the round.
    A tank really rely on infantry around him to progress on flags and be effective in the battle. The infantry stop enemies from getting to close, can clean mines and repair the tank while the tank give a big fire power boost and mobile cover against bullets.
    A tank with an infantry squad is really powerfull while a tank alone is really vulnerable.
    This is my point of view and i get that some players may disagree but i really enjoy this system because it avoid us to suffer from lonewolf "only tank" driver obviously unbalancing rounds.
    The "play in squad for being effective" is now valid for infantry AND tank pilots.
  • MBT_Layzan
    1438 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I would think the most effective way to move forward would be with squads and vehicles working together.
    I mean we were able with tanks in previous BFs to play lonewolf and do really well on objectivs while infantry had to regroup a few soldiers to counter the tank (i mean a decent tank driver of course not the obvious beginner letting you gently put C4 on him).
    Now a lonewolf in tank can't do much more than sit back the line, he does kills but do not really impact the round.
    A tank really rely on infantry around him to progress on flags and be effective in the battle. The infantry stop enemies from getting to close, can clean mines and repair the tank while the tank give a big fire power boost and mobile cover against bullets.
    A tank with an infantry squad is really powerfull while a tank alone is really vulnerable.
    This is my point of view and i get that some players may disagree but i really enjoy this system because it avoid us to suffer from lonewolf "only tank" driver obviously unbalancing rounds.
    The "play in squad for being effective" is now valid for infantry AND tank pilots.

Would love to play in your games. In all of mine I've never seen infantry clear mines period. And only a handful of times repair my tank or the depot. They are more inclined to steal the tank I have, blow up the depots I use, and build anti tank blockades behind me when I'm trying to help my side meaning I can't reverse. Oh and fire the MG like a idiot at planes telling them where we are and other tanks.
  • barnesalmighty2
    1479 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    MBT_Layzan wrote: »

Would love to play in your games. In all of mine I've never seen infantry clear mines period. And only a handful of times repair my tank or the depot. They are more inclined to steal the tank I have, blow up the depots I use, and build anti tank blockades behind me when I'm trying to help my side meaning I can't reverse. Oh and fire the MG like a idiot at planes telling them where we are and other tanks.

I used to clear mines as infantry for the tanks. I stopped because an idiot driver pushed me into mines I was shooting and killed us all. As for repairing tanks they usually drive off and leave me standing like a lemon with a hammer in hand waiting to die. So I stopped trying that too.

Fortifications are a whole other problem though. I play objective modes and the amount of players I see building fortifications that only help the enemy blows my mind.
  • ackers75
    2337 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 20
    For the love of god please stop this madness!
    Tanks are fine and have been buffed considerably.

• MBT_Layzan
    1438 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    MBT_Layzan wrote: »

I used to clear mines as infantry for the tanks. I stopped because an idiot driver pushed me into mines I was shooting and killed us all. As for repairing tanks they usually drive off and leave me standing like a lemon with a hammer in hand waiting to die. So I stopped trying that too.

Fortifications are a whole other problem though. I play objective modes and the amount of players I see building fortifications that only help the enemy blows my mind.

Yea, fortifications that are abandoned by my team and used by the enemy helping them take flags nightmare on maps like Rotterdam.

Thing with randoms and this is rare. If they jump into my tank, Val or 38t, they jump out to fix small damage I can fix with self repair, and if needs be I can abandon that idea and (move) if say I see assault building up on me, or a heavy tank or two etc. I can't communicate this to the guy who just jumped out to fix and If I stay, we are both dead in certain situations where I'd need to move. Other times it would be perfect for a guy to jump out and fix me, and they don't, they bail to a flag or just sit in the MG firing it at the tank.

People say tanks should stick with infantry, but I find this only really relates to when infantry come in and start taking the flag, then perhaps I can in the tank. After this, you can try and follow them, but on many maps they go places I can't. They don't support me, they might use me as cover at times but they go their own way, swim through deep rivers I can't go, or through alleyways, up on to bridges etc. That's not even covering areas of the map that tanks are super vulnerable but infantry are not so much like open ground with small trenches they can hide in, but tanks are like sitting ducks to tanks and planes with no decent retreat.

I've been surrounded by my side and yet, some assault spawns behind the tank at a flag location and nails me or almost and my side might as well not be there. I've been in flames reversing for my life and my side all run off to the next flag location leaving me facing a squad. Others times I'm stuck at the flags outside the homebase on maps like Rotterdam, A/E and enemy infantry are all over it and my side are complaining to me that I'm camping in a tank and not out in the middle of that map with them. Even though I'm getting more kills and point's than my side, I'm like "how do you think I'm getting these kills and points man"?

Maps like panzerstorm I'm not even sure if I should even go for flags period against decent planes, it's just a bomb zone when those flags are getting taken against decent pilots. I see the tanks going in there and are lit up by bomber runs or finished off by planes and tanks as spawning infantry have disabled them and they are pretty much done.

All you really can do in this game is farm from a safe distance, call it supporting your infantry, camping, playing like a wuss. The tanks do best at it, but I don't find it fun over time.
  • Fourzero
    22 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 20
    People think this is BF3 where we had reactive armor and could go close + shift away when needed. I'm fine going close but no one ever repairs so it's completely useless. Best is when you spam ping on mines and they never hit them (I can clear them myself but I do it just to see how blind people are)
  • MBT_Layzan
    My issue is they excel at the very thing most infantry hate, and suck at the thing most infantry want, or at least complain about in game.
  • BlindChance
    486 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Tank should move with infantry, it should not be indestructible agile force, able to rotate its turret at extreme speed. I agree with one thing, some maps allow for tank sniping. Especially PanzerStorm and Aerodrome. Rolling empty hills don't make good maps, you would think DICE would learn after 15 years...
  • Marine_IraHayes2
    234 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member
    I could care less about the bad rap tankers get about camping.
    I have enquired a couple times about joining a clan under the notion I wanted to tank in games whenever a tank was available. I was told it’s not what they needed. So I keep on keeping on lone wolf style and continue to make a difference every game I play.
    Honestly I really don’t need some guy yelling at me in my mic about how to do this or that and when.
    Usually at the start of Panzerstorm if any of the players are mic’d up I let them know right from the get go I’ll be tanking.
  • WinterWarhurst
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I have enquired a couple times about joining a clan under the notion I wanted to tank in games whenever a tank was available. I was told it’s not what they needed. So I keep on keeping on lone wolf style and continue to make a difference every game I play.
    Honestly I really don’t need some guy yelling at me in my mic about how to do this or that and when.
    Usually at the start of Panzerstorm if any of the players are mic’d up I let them know right from the get go I’ll be tanking.

What platform are you on?
  • WinterWarhurst
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

I agree to a degree, but I think capping should be encouraged more than camping, or farming from afar, it should be a better balanced challenge.

In terms of tank doctrine you could argue that tanks should engage enemy tanks, then fortified AT or MG positions while softening defenses, then push as breakthrough vehicles with infantry to clear out the objective and remove reinforcements. Historically those were there three phrases of Blitzkrieg, and they can be effective in game too on a micro level.

The problem for me is when the game really traps you in the first two phases, but doesn’t encourage you to push up for the third breakthrough phase (and then of course to carry on with that same infantry support towards the next objective). If you are too static, or passive, you cannot always support their next push, you get dislocated from their support, etc. And you inevitably score very poorly.
  • MBT_Layzan
    And it's very hard to move with your infantry when you have to go off to the depot which is often in the opposite direction to where the infantry are off to.
  • Marine_IraHayes2

What platform are you on?

PS4
  • mf_shro0m
    1398 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 21
    I agree that the game’s tank:infantry balance is off and that that does legitimately encourage tank camping.

Dice really need to make a few changes and I’d suggest the following:

- upgrade the driver’s MG to match their infantry variants’ ROF, damage model and range so tanks aren’t as weak against infantry at close range. Atm they’re worse
    - Introduce a team chat toggle. I genuinely believe that if people were able to communicate their needs (e.g. tankers say I need cover n stuff and infantry can shout out enemy positions that they need help with) with their team that people will work together more because atm outside of your squad, you just can’t really. It’s literally like fighting a war where everyone’s mute. It’s stupid. Just add team chat and a toggle to switch between that and squad chat et voila. As someone who usually plays with a mic and strangers, I can say that strangers often do listen if what you say makes sense. Most of us play BF but we want a teamwork based game
    - make disables harder. Atm it happens too readily
  • Marine_IraHayes2

I agree to a degree, but I think capping should be encouraged more than camping, or farming from afar, it should be a better balanced challenge.

In terms of tank doctrine you could argue that tanks should engage enemy tanks, then fortified AT or MG positions while softening defenses, then push as breakthrough vehicles with infantry to clear out the objective and remove reinforcements. Historically those were there three phrases of Blitzkrieg, and they can be effective in game too on a micro level.

The problem for me is when the game really traps you in the first two phases, but doesn’t encourage you to push up for the third breakthrough phase (and then of course to carry on with that same infantry support towards the next objective). If you are too static, or passive, you cannot always support their next push, you get dislocated from their support, etc. And you inevitably score very poorly.

Awareness. I love hunting other tanks but not so much that I lose sight of other important aspects. Pick and choose by instinct. And instinct for me comes from hours played. Is it always right? Of course not.
    The game is getting down to the end and the scores close...I will move in on a flag to capture without backup and take the chance. In the beginning without help I won’t.
    When I can’t get into a tank I look out for tankers also. But I think most tank guys probably do because they understand it’s importance. A good tanker will save your azz more than you’ll save his! You just don’t always know it. ;^)