Tank you very much

Comments

• orangebionic
    232 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    well in previous bf games tanks had reactive armour, infinite ammo drive smooth like dream, had extremely effective third person view for both gunner and driver. It was required to have a bunch of cooperating players to take down tank.

Now, it takes team effort to take a tank down, and it takes team effort to be effective in the tank. Sounds fair.
    Players farming kills from far away only show how many bad players used tanks as their crutch before and cant ditch that habit, even if it doesnt work anymore.
    So simply put game was made to force to cooperate classes,vehicles of different sorts, and players within squads.
    As much as I understand frustration with tanks at present, do we really want to come back to the time, where self-repairing,infinite ammo spamming, third person view tank could hold the whole enemy team, just because anyone with two working brain cells could jump in and exploit the hell out of it??
  • TFBisquit
    1522 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    As I see it in rush, tanks farm 30-0 per round. And they don’t do that rolling in on the objectives. So that’s not gonna change for a while since kdr is the most important thing in this game.
  • R1ckyDaMan19
    476 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    MBT_Layzan wrote: »
    And it's very hard to move with your infantry when you have to go off to the depot which is often in the opposite direction to where the infantry are off to.

That is what kills it every time, I have had games where I have had a squad of randoms actually running alongside my tank supporting but I get 1 big heavy hit and I have to scoop off back to home base to ressuply the repair and by that point the squad is half way across the map and I am left with 0 support.
  • BlindChance
    486 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 21
    And it's very hard to move with your infantry when you have to go off to the depot which is often in the opposite direction to where the infantry are off to.

As said, you are not supposed to be invulnerable. It is enough that flyboys whine every time any ground weapon can actually touch them. Also say thank you to DICE for poor design. Most of the tanks featured in the game could in real life easily take a crew of FIVE INSIDE of the tank and allow infantry to ride on the top of them. They could also increase maximum speed, at least for heavy tanks.
  • Hawxxeye
    5363 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I am of the opinion that there are not enough tanks and/or they are not strong enough when considering how many things can destroy them.
    When something that can be at numbers of like 16 and has like 12 sec respawn at worst (assaults) has to deal with something that in most maps is at numbers of 2 and has like 2/3 min respawn, the thing with the 2/3 min respawn needs to either be able to take a lot of punishment or to be able to output devastating damage.
  • AOD_Gendomaoken
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 21
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    I am of the opinion that there are not enough tanks and/or they are not strong enough when considering how many things can destroy them.
    When something that can be at numbers of like 16 and has like 12 sec respawn at worst (assaults) has to deal with something that in most maps is at numbers of 2 and has like 2/3 min respawn, the thing with the 2/3 min respawn needs to either be able to take a lot of punishment or to be able to output devastating damage.

Yes, i do agreed, when you have only 2-3 tanks per team, and infinite waves of assaults charging at you behind covers, with spawning system, that puts spawning infanty BEHIND pushing tank... Its mostly a bad idea to go anywhere close to objectives. Lets omit the fact, that "friendly" infantry treats tanks as if it wasnt there at best, at worst tries to destroy resuply stations, trying to steal our tanks, when we go repair it(thank you for zero foresight in this manner DICE, for not putting vehicle lock for its owner, so you can prevent stealing vehicle, as long as youre alive. Also thanks for not letting me kick moron machinegunner, that keeps informing every enemy in 500+ meters of my position - this happens in planes aswell, fyi. Or spitefull players, that block your back mg, so you die, and give THEM chance to spawn plane).

Altho i dont think buffing them would change much, when the issue lies in design of the game:
    In the maps, that are not designed with tank(or planes, in some cases) presence at all. At this point, we have few maps, that can support more, than 2 tanks/planes comfortably. Majority of maps are designed for infantry slugfest, and from BF series standpoint, are pretty claustrophobic. And i dont hate on those maps. Personally, Rotterdam, Devastation, Fjell, ETC. are very fun CLOSE COMBAT maps, closer to COD, than Battlefield. INFANTRY ONLY maps, that vehicles got shoehorned into, because Battlefield franchise. Id say, we need more BF-esque big, maps. Designed WITH combined arms in mind. Maps, where tanks can go in number of 5-8 per team, planes in at least 4(i would also point, that there needs to be limit to vehicle classes active at a time, not to make some vehicles more prolific, than others - yes, this also counts for planes)
  • IIIIUNREALIIII
    131 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 21
    mrtwotimes wrote: »
    So I often hear people complaining about tanks sitting on the periphery and usually a feeling of "stat padding". This could be true I guess, but from my personal experience most of the time it doesn't make sense to do much else. I don't often see protection between tank and infantry (vice versa). I generally am an aggressive tank player, but the fact that I get zero protection from the team as I progress towards an objective and cover them makes it more effective to sit outside the objective and clear it from there. I would think the most effective way to move forward would be with squads and vehicles working together. Yeah I don't know if I have a point.... just a perspective.

You shouldn’t take care of them. Ignore chat or turn it off. There will be always players which are whining in game. I met one guy on Rotterdam (E point) which one wanted to push me into the water using vehicle… Sometimes they destroy re-supply stations with premeditation or put mines in front of your tank :) Even you should don’t care of your team. You can have “round of god’, kill every tanker in enemy team, play risky and push but you can still lose round. Your team is trash and they cry on chat that you are a camper..
    The worst thing for tanks in this BF is getting disabled. You almost repair yourself but you see enemy assault and you have to kill him and interrupt repairing.
    Also this “rockets” from support are really powerful. I think it’s almost equal to Panzerfaust.

Btw. I think "round of god" starts from 50-0 killstreak

• AssassinoX1
    267 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I totally agree. I feel like I never have help or protection from players. Meanwhile, I'm running back and forth repairing the entire teams tanks when I'm support or laying down supporting fire from inside whenever I can. Tanks need to be utilized and so many don't understand the importance of them. I also can't stand that when I'm in a tank, the entire team of enemy assaults are going after me (as they should) and so often on my team, NO assaults are doing their duty in taking on enemy tanks. I feel like I constantly have to change my class and do things myself.
  • n7k6k5w9jp0
    362 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think that tanks are too heavily tethered to supply depots.

You can't get ammo, fully repair or fix broken tracks etc without them so you end up never straying too far from them.

Then when you do push a point the supply depot is destroyed and your tank gets nicked by the same random assault who refused to rebuild the depot for you. Then your 18 health flaming tank is making a beeline towards the enemy line to die in one shot 15 seconds later.

• mrtwotimes
    733 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

I guess part of my own thinking is that if tanks and infantry are rolling together, they shouldn't be wasting the tank main shells on enemy soldiers. That's the infantry role, take out the enemy soldiers (and the ones chucking tank grenades or aiming PIATS or fill_in_the_blank). I save the main weapon for larger group of soldiers, structures, vehicles and often for shielding my teammates. I use the main MG to keep any "soft targets" at bay and certainly more effective than the main.

I often see tanks shooting shells left and right at single soldiers which just doesn't seem wise if you know the depot is further away.

• MBT_Layzan
    1436 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

I guess part of my own thinking is that if tanks and infantry are rolling together, they shouldn't be wasting the tank main shells on enemy soldiers. That's the infantry role, take out the enemy soldiers (and the ones chucking tank grenades or aiming PIATS or fill_in_the_blank). I save the main weapon for larger group of soldiers, structures, vehicles and often for shielding my teammates. I use the main MG to keep any "soft targets" at bay and certainly more effective than the main.

I often see tanks shooting shells left and right at single soldiers which just doesn't seem wise if you know the depot is further away.

In my games, you got to lay down as much firepower on the enemy as you can. You must be in some beautiful servers because my team more often than not do their own thing and many times badly. Yea, I get games where it's clear there is a decent squad present on my team, they normally hit top score by a mile but there's no way I'm going to be able to keep up with them on the map. Either way they slip into areas I can't follow, they won't fix me or a depot, (don't help many infantry don't see depots or know where they are). But they will blow them up or build a whole load of crap that helps the enemy and blocks my visibility.

Both the MG and the tank rounds get spent fast if your doing your job.

In this game where one infantry multiplies in seconds, there is no way I'm going to hold fire and hope some random does the job. If you don't take the opportunity, you just passed the problem onto someone else mate and that problem might have just got a lot bigger and might come back to bite you.

I can't rely on them, most times the randoms who where around have gone off over a cliff, into a plane hanger, up a big bridge with a train on it, through a network of buildings I can't follow. So it's me solo again. I've been surrounded by my side and still get nailed because one assault spawned and came straight for me, while he did, another spawned of him so now that's two. All my infantry are looking towards the next flag location and heading off that way, they are not going to have my back.

The best chance I can give my side is taking care of as much enemy crap as possible, and hope my infantry is proficient because in this game ultimately it's them being the deciding factor. Good infantry will wipe the floor against anything when they mass up and zerg, tanks evaporate when they hit that wave, and the best tankers knows this so they learn how a game flows and stick to the verge and fire in.

In a nutshell, what made tanks this way in BFV was the fact one infantry AT weapon can kill your tracks. As long as it stays that way, smart tankers won't push into hot zones unless they see there side form a swarm and rush an area. And unfortunately this opportunity is missed many a time because a tank has to head back to some stupid location often get out a build up a depot to get ammo/essential specs use. It takes so long to get another tank, you might not for the rest of the match period so tankers don't take stupid risks when them get them.

Even if a tank saved it's rounds, once you take on a tank, you gotta get back to a depot anyway more often than not. APCR rounds, the emergency repair etc.
  • ElSamuel04
    115 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I would think the most effective way to move forward would be with squads and vehicles working together.
    This is how the game is designed and i really like it.
    I mean we were able with tanks in previous BFs to play lonewolf and do really well on objectivs while infantry had to regroup a few soldiers to counter the tank (i mean a decent tank driver of course not the obvious beginner letting you gently put C4 on him).
    Now a lonewolf in tank can't do much more than sit back the line, he does kills but do not really impact the round.
    A tank really rely on infantry around him to progress on flags and be effective in the battle. The infantry stop enemies from getting to close, can clean mines and repair the tank while the tank give a big fire power boost and mobile cover against bullets.
    A tank with an infantry squad is really powerfull while a tank alone is really vulnerable.
    This is my point of view and i get that some players may disagree but i really enjoy this system because it avoid us to suffer from lonewolf "only tank" driver obviously unbalancing rounds.
    The "play in squad for being effective" is now valid for infantry AND tank pilots.

Would love to play in your games. In all of mine I've never seen infantry clear mines period. And only a handful of times repair my tank or the depot. They are more inclined to steal the tank I have, blow up the depots I use, and build anti tank blockades behind me when I'm trying to help my side meaning I can't reverse. Oh and fire the MG like a idiot at planes telling them where we are and other tanks.

I used to clear mines as infantry for the tanks. I stopped because an idiot driver pushed me into mines I was shooting and killed us all. As for repairing tanks they usually drive off and leave me standing like a lemon with a hammer in hand waiting to die. So I stopped trying that too.

Fortifications are a whole other problem though. I play objective modes and the amount of players I see building fortifications that only help the enemy blows my mind.

Yea, fortifications that are abandoned by my team and used by the enemy helping them take flags nightmare on maps like Rotterdam.

Thing with randoms and this is rare. If they jump into my tank, Val or 38t, they jump out to fix small damage I can fix with self repair, and if needs be I can abandon that idea and (move) if say I see assault building up on me, or a heavy tank or two etc. I can't communicate this to the guy who just jumped out to fix and If I stay, we are both dead in certain situations where I'd need to move. Other times it would be perfect for a guy to jump out and fix me, and they don't, they bail to a flag or just sit in the MG firing it at the tank.

People say tanks should stick with infantry, but I find this only really relates to when infantry come in and start taking the flag, then perhaps I can in the tank. After this, you can try and follow them, but on many maps they go places I can't. They don't support me, they might use me as cover at times but they go their own way, swim through deep rivers I can't go, or through alleyways, up on to bridges etc. That's not even covering areas of the map that tanks are super vulnerable but infantry are not so much like open ground with small trenches they can hide in, but tanks are like sitting ducks to tanks and planes with no decent retreat.

I've been surrounded by my side and yet, some assault spawns behind the tank at a flag location and nails me or almost and my side might as well not be there. I've been in flames reversing for my life and my side all run off to the next flag location leaving me facing a squad. Others times I'm stuck at the flags outside the homebase on maps like Rotterdam, A/E and enemy infantry are all over it and my side are complaining to me that I'm camping in a tank and not out in the middle of that map with them. Even though I'm getting more kills and point's than my side, I'm like "how do you think I'm getting these kills and points man"?

Maps like panzerstorm I'm not even sure if I should even go for flags period against decent planes, it's just a bomb zone when those flags are getting taken against decent pilots. I see the tanks going in there and are lit up by bomber runs or finished off by planes and tanks as spawning infantry have disabled them and they are pretty much done.

All you really can do in this game is farm from a safe distance, call it supporting your infantry, camping, playing like a wuss. The tanks do best at it, but I don't find it fun over time.

what gamemode do you play? Conquest?
  • stiny1838
    263 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    well in previous bf games tanks had reactive armour, infinite ammo drive smooth like dream, had extremely effective third person view for both gunner and driver. It was required to have a bunch of cooperating players to take down tank.

Now, it takes team effort to take a tank down, and it takes team effort to be effective in the tank. Sounds fair.
    Players farming kills from far away only show how many bad players used tanks as their crutch before and cant ditch that habit, even if it doesnt work anymore.
    So simply put game was made to force to cooperate classes,vehicles of different sorts, and players within squads.
    As much as I understand frustration with tanks at present, do we really want to come back to the time, where self-repairing,infinite ammo spamming, third person view tank could hold the whole enemy team, just because anyone with two working brain cells could jump in and exploit the hell out of it??

team work? you can solo a tiger and all lesser tanks are child's play.
  • MBT_Layzan
    1436 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ElSamuel04 wrote: »
    I would think the most effective way to move forward would be with squads and vehicles working together.
    This is how the game is designed and i really like it.
    I mean we were able with tanks in previous BFs to play lonewolf and do really well on objectivs while infantry had to regroup a few soldiers to counter the tank (i mean a decent tank driver of course not the obvious beginner letting you gently put C4 on him).
    Now a lonewolf in tank can't do much more than sit back the line, he does kills but do not really impact the round.
    A tank really rely on infantry around him to progress on flags and be effective in the battle. The infantry stop enemies from getting to close, can clean mines and repair the tank while the tank give a big fire power boost and mobile cover against bullets.
    A tank with an infantry squad is really powerfull while a tank alone is really vulnerable.
    This is my point of view and i get that some players may disagree but i really enjoy this system because it avoid us to suffer from lonewolf "only tank" driver obviously unbalancing rounds.
    The "play in squad for being effective" is now valid for infantry AND tank pilots.

Would love to play in your games. In all of mine I've never seen infantry clear mines period. And only a handful of times repair my tank or the depot. They are more inclined to steal the tank I have, blow up the depots I use, and build anti tank blockades behind me when I'm trying to help my side meaning I can't reverse. Oh and fire the MG like a idiot at planes telling them where we are and other tanks.

I used to clear mines as infantry for the tanks. I stopped because an idiot driver pushed me into mines I was shooting and killed us all. As for repairing tanks they usually drive off and leave me standing like a lemon with a hammer in hand waiting to die. So I stopped trying that too.

Fortifications are a whole other problem though. I play objective modes and the amount of players I see building fortifications that only help the enemy blows my mind.

Yea, fortifications that are abandoned by my team and used by the enemy helping them take flags nightmare on maps like Rotterdam.

Thing with randoms and this is rare. If they jump into my tank, Val or 38t, they jump out to fix small damage I can fix with self repair, and if needs be I can abandon that idea and (move) if say I see assault building up on me, or a heavy tank or two etc. I can't communicate this to the guy who just jumped out to fix and If I stay, we are both dead in certain situations where I'd need to move. Other times it would be perfect for a guy to jump out and fix me, and they don't, they bail to a flag or just sit in the MG firing it at the tank.

People say tanks should stick with infantry, but I find this only really relates to when infantry come in and start taking the flag, then perhaps I can in the tank. After this, you can try and follow them, but on many maps they go places I can't. They don't support me, they might use me as cover at times but they go their own way, swim through deep rivers I can't go, or through alleyways, up on to bridges etc. That's not even covering areas of the map that tanks are super vulnerable but infantry are not so much like open ground with small trenches they can hide in, but tanks are like sitting ducks to tanks and planes with no decent retreat.

I've been surrounded by my side and yet, some assault spawns behind the tank at a flag location and nails me or almost and my side might as well not be there. I've been in flames reversing for my life and my side all run off to the next flag location leaving me facing a squad. Others times I'm stuck at the flags outside the homebase on maps like Rotterdam, A/E and enemy infantry are all over it and my side are complaining to me that I'm camping in a tank and not out in the middle of that map with them. Even though I'm getting more kills and point's than my side, I'm like "how do you think I'm getting these kills and points man"?

Maps like panzerstorm I'm not even sure if I should even go for flags period against decent planes, it's just a bomb zone when those flags are getting taken against decent pilots. I see the tanks going in there and are lit up by bomber runs or finished off by planes and tanks as spawning infantry have disabled them and they are pretty much done.

All you really can do in this game is farm from a safe distance, call it supporting your infantry, camping, playing like a wuss. The tanks do best at it, but I don't find it fun over time.

what gamemode do you play? Conquest?

Yea CQ
  • MBT_Layzan
    stiny1838 wrote: »

This.
  • MBT_Layzan

You actually get solo assault mad throwing insults at you in game because you are not a push over like most tanks.
  • BlindChance
    486 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 21

This.

You can solo a Tiger only if you manage to hit from behind or its flank with 3x dynamite, AT grenade and one or two PanzerFausts. Or plant 3 AT mines close enough for it for the explosion to hit it. You literally need to be close enough to touch it. If your Tiger crew allow this to happen, you deserve to die.
  • stiny1838
    263 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

You actually get solo assault mad throwing insults at you in game because you are not a push over like most tanks.

??? so me saying that it is possible to solo a tiger sounds to you like complaining that tigers are op, i don't even know how to reply to that.
  • ackers75
    2324 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Lol solo a tiger is this a joke.
    Maybe at launch but not now.
    While we are at it shall we give tanks a rail gun or maybe reactive armour
  • WinterWarhurst
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    rainkloud wrote: »
    With blast boost since patch tanks are largely fine. Tanks are generally not supposed to sit on caps any way. As long as they are within effective engagement distance then they are doing their job. Where this notion came the tanks are supposed to be all snake eater and cqc is beyond me. Yeah is someone is sitting 600m away trying to shell then yeah that's not going to help much unless they are zeroed in on something. Otherwise if they're 50-125m away people need to holster that criticism and realize that is where they should be.

I agree to a degree, but I think capping should be encouraged more than camping, or farming from afar, it should be a better balanced challenge.

In terms of tank doctrine you could argue that tanks should engage enemy tanks, then fortified AT or MG positions while softening defenses, then push as breakthrough vehicles with infantry to clear out the objective and remove reinforcements. Historically those were there three phrases of Blitzkrieg, and they can be effective in game too on a micro level.

The problem for me is when the game really traps you in the first two phases, but doesn’t encourage you to push up for the third breakthrough phase (and then of course to carry on with that same infantry support towards the next objective). If you are too static, or passive, you cannot always support their next push, you get dislocated from their support, etc. And you inevitably score very poorly.

Awareness. I love hunting other tanks but not so much that I lose sight of other important aspects. Pick and choose by instinct. And instinct for me comes from hours played. Is it always right? Of course not.
    The game is getting down to the end and the scores close...I will move in on a flag to capture without backup and take the chance. In the beginning without help I won’t.
    When I can’t get into a tank I look out for tankers also. But I think most tank guys probably do because they understand it’s importance. A good tanker will save your azz more than you’ll save his! You just don’t always know it. ;^)

I’m on PS4 too, what’s your PSN? I can help direct you towards an appropriate platoon.

Do you like to play infantry and PTFO too, or just tank?