The broken game balancer needs addressing once and for all

JPhysics
804 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Ok so we are 4 months into the game's release and I want to address the balancer again.
Its broken. I am not refering to balancing equal teams in terms of skill, I think that is a complex issue without guaranteed results, but when the round starts with 16 vs 32 players the first signs of something is wrong is present.
Then when after several minutes the balancer is not making any form of adjustments, all hope is lost. This is not always the case, very occasionally the balancer starts doing its job when a huge indifference is present after a couple of minutes, but more often than not it simply folds in.
I understand that Dice have a priority list for fixing things, but when something like this kills a server it ought to be high up on the things to fix list. When this occurs 3 -4 consecutive times, I conclude I am unable to play the game; my buddies and I will move on to play something else. To touch upon another missing function from the game, willing players are unable to switch teams to even things out.
Has anyone seen any response from Dice which acknowlegdes the fundamental problem, and have they given any explanation why it still isn't working properly in its most basic form at this current moment in time or when it will be fixed.

Comments

• SnoopTrooper187
    60 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Thank You this is what ive been talking about for awhile now. People are quitting and its ruining games due to 30v6. The losing team usually has a bunch of quitters and no one to fill them back up
  • ThePro_PR
    174 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It’s really is mind boggling that they still haven’t fixed this issue. This should be an easy fix, but they are completely ignoring the issue.
  • krliathbirdeate
    256 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 16
    Balance might be a problem but there is so many bugs some bugs change the balance so bad that it effect game play
  • Pelliy
    2024 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It seems like the critical stuff that needs response don't get it, but the stuff that doesn't, get addressed.

One dice employee just spoke on the difficulty of implementing a proper balancer but it sounded more excuses why it can't be done. "It didn't sound like it was coming from the mindset that we can Steve towards a better balancer"

They do these hodgepodge fixes imo like introducing artillery as somewhat of a balancing tool and something to stir up the gameplay but it really doesn't do anything to address it at hand.
  • SerSkrungus
    34 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Oh my goodness yes, finally someone said it, I get really fussy when I join 4 really imbalanced matches. Can't figure out why you're being steamrolled? Check the scoreboard, it is probably a case of team imbalance, I have been in too many matches that are like that where your team can't hold more than one point, or is just flat out getting wrecked, all because the cpu keeps stacking the other team.
  • Sahaquiel81
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    There is no need for the cpu to stack the other team. As soon as side is "winning" (like 1 point more in the first few minutes of a match) you will have people leave. The temporal imbalance then gets increased because the "losing" side now is at a disadvantage and more points are lost, leading to more people leaving. All while new players are filling the team up. The new players will most likely leave again, seeing they got paired to the "losing" team. Any balance based on # of team members can never work because all the system will see is something like 32 vs 30 players. For the system that may be still fine before it checks again, but in reality its 32 against like 24-25, the rest filled with people that just joined and will rotate in for the people that leave again.
  • TheSEkk
    19 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Why does the balancing seem to work fine on xbox, but not on PC?
  • Zavrix1
    93 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    At least in BF1 when we had rented servers we could balance the server our selves if things got out of hand, or you at least had the option to change teams and try and balance it out a bit. As it stands it's just a sever killer!
  • SystemicProgress
    78 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    DICE could have implemented something simple long ago. Obviously, that was not one of their priorities, even though it is one of the top issues most players are concerned about. Here is a simple idea DICE:

Run a script to balance the teams every x (15 min for a start so we at least know there is some sort of balancing) number of minutes if teams are obviously unbalanced. It is that simple.

Perhaps not, due to still inadequate net-code as this would put additional load on the current fragile game-play stability.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    12007 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Yeah I've seen a bunch of severely unbalanced games like that where the autobalancer doesn't move players around to keep the team numbers equal.

I do wish it would be kept in check with periodic checks of the team numbers and move players or even squads on death to balance things up more.
  • Loony
    35 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Scramble squads at start of each round. Even if players dont leave it, it can at least prevent another massacre if one team just cant do well.

If they actually do something about this and the hacks i'll consider coming back.... So, looks like im not lol
  • Jezzzeh
    643 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    As much as a balance is great I am NOT a fan of moving people across from one team to the other.

This is mainly because the community I am a member of likes to play on the same side, its cohesive, takes advantage of comms and frankly it's how the game is meant to be played for fullest enjoyment. Our community will regularly have at least 1 to 2 squads on a 64 man server sometimes more. If we kept being split up it would be irritating and annoying in the extreme.

I know people will throw the "clan stacking" tag on here but with the lack of any third party or RSP servers it's very difficult to keep gaming communities going as it is.

I would be more a fan of DICE having a good look at how their servers are being filled from the main menu to balance teams out.
  • Loony
    35 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    True, Its great when you run organised and thats why one team will win over random players looking for squirrels.
    but If anything the clan "stack" is the problem because most all leave at the same time, winning or not... THAT creates the sudden large gap.

I dont like scrambling individuals, Doing squads (as in keeping all 4 together) is a great option IMO. You are keeping close friends together and its really a 50/50 with staying with another squad anyway. (Only At the START of the round, not taking about mid game.)
    Ive been in clans for years and I love getting on the other team and trying to stab a mate. As it is now I join on a friend and end up on the other team anyway.

"I would be more a fan of DICE having a good look at how their servers are being filled from the main menu to balance teams out."
    yeah... but what if they deem clan "stacks" are the reason? push the second clan squad to the other team? wouldn't that be just as bad?

Dont worry Jezzeh, my idea will go nowhere, nothing will happen. They dont care.
  • JPhysics
    804 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Haha loony, I agree with you. Team balancers can work effectively in a fair manner, as seen with plugins used on previous bf games from 3rd party rep. I don't see why they can't write a similar in-house version. I've seen whole squads moved in the past, it worked fine, I cannot remember if it were bf4 when I last experienced that. Its better than an entire server dying because of it.
    Jezzzeh's right in also saying the way the servers seed from main menus ought to also be reviewed in case there is an underlining issue there.
    I'm watching the games at the moment to see if the current patch has changed anything.
  • TFBisquit
    1031 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's never going to be fixed. People will leave when they're overpowered, or feel cheated. Both happen alot on pc, so you'll keep having unbalanced teams.
    No balancer is gonna change that.
  • DigitalHype
    634 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It will never be solved. But, they could do better.

1. Bring back the midround balancer from earlier titles
    2. Make quitting a round happen in 2-3 seconds instead of 60+ seconds. This allows players to quit *BEFORE* the next round starts.
    - a. This would allow the matchmaker to fill the server before its too late.
    3. Allow teamswitching to the team with a large deficit of players. And only in that scenario. In earlier titles I would almost always switch to help a team with low player count. And I could do that faster than the mid-round balancer would. Lots of us did that.
  • JPhysics
    TFBisquit wrote: »
    It's never going to be fixed. People will leave when they're overpowered, or feel cheated. Both happen alot on pc, so you'll keep having unbalanced teams.
    No balancer is gonna change that.

..... and when people leave the server, particularly large groups, that's when you depend upon a balancer to kick in. There is no logic in a round running with 32 vs 16 player. Most team games manage this problem, I can't see a reason why battlefield can't.
  • ItsGavlar
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Not 4 months into the game this has been going on since BF 4 it’s not as if it’s a huge project to code either
  • Td05_RumpleWagen
    44 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    This was NOT an issue when we the players ran our OWN servers. Its like dice is spitting in our faces, We are too dumb and backwards to be trusted with their perfect creation. BF was BF when the community ran our own servers. We had money invested so there was reason to keep everything balanced, fair, and free of toxicity to keep people coming back!!
  • JPhysics
    Despite recent patches, the balancer still appears to broken which is clearly seen when it is called upon.  For starters, I'm experiencing rounds where the other team has 8 to 10 players more than the other (due to players leaving), and which team are the new players arriving being placed into? ... thats right the team with more players.  Then at the end of the round the balancer does absolutely nothing, and starts the next round with a 30/10 ratio.  When this occurs around 3 times, I give up and boot up another game.  I don't know why this wasn't addressed in the recent fixes patch, it would have been the ideal opportuinity to amend it.