The netcode in this game is so bad I feel Dice is faking the online shooter experience.

124»

Comments

  • von_Campenstein
    6565 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited March 22
    Jumpy-B-L wrote: »
    I'm honestly starting to think DICE should just switch to hitscan. It's obvious their client/server implementation can not handle tracking individual projectiles while also providing a snappy shooting experience.

    I prefer the simulation we have now but the MP experience is frustrating. I'm not sure they can tighten up the system in place now. They've had many chances to.

    Or a much easier and less intrusive route would be to region lock certain servers and pingcap them and leave some free for all. They can do this easily, they just don't want to because they want to be inclusive at the expense of the gaming experience for all, virtue signalling all the way down.
  • Vycinas2
    932 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    NLBartmaN wrote: »
    Vycinas2 wrote: »

    Its called control test environment for a reason. Its not the same as car manufacturers testing their cars in lab environment and sells it with eye watering numbers next to MPG, where in reality its very different. Chris does testing very well, provides crucial feedback and explains for dummys how stuff works.

    If you want him to do the testing on console you can always donate money for one.

    If you re having so much issues playing V visit your ISP first and see if fault lies with them (usually is). Also it would be nice to see a video of your gameplay and how other people bad connections affect you.

    Lag compensation is a cancer but its not game breaking, yet.

    We don't have a CTE anymore with BF, one of the reasons every patch has lots of issues and things work out differently on the local network of Dice compared to the Live situation, which CTE was.

    My ISP is one of (maybe even) the best in Europe, wins lots of prices every year and is started and lead by the best IT specialists.
    When I test my connection with every possible test I always get A+ grade, Netgraph shows perfect numbers when gaming, there is NO problem with my ISP or connection.

    There is no doubt in my mind that the servers Dice has now, with the current settings (30Hz, limits, etc) and netcode CAN'T handle all the traffic at gamespeed and can't process my input in the right way.

    Adding some unstable and high pings, which the server has to compensate for and get extra work to do for when simulating hitclaims kills the (virtual) servers.

    Add to that the limited frames a console has with a game that looks and feels more demanding and is not optimized for console and you get a very bad experience.

    I have NO problems with other games, only with BF.

    I ve seen people with 500mbps+ connections having issues and struggling to hit targets. Most of the time highest speed doesnt equate to quality. Sometimes it helps to set up your router properly, sometimes the only other way is to change provider.

    Netcode is bad, and OOR do stress the servers and for this reason I am staying away from German servers, just too much trash there. However it doesnt mean that OOR will be the sole reason for your negative experience.
  • NLBartmaN
    3054 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Vycinas2 wrote: »

    I ve seen people with 500mbps+ connections having issues and struggling to hit targets. Most of the time highest speed doesnt equate to quality. Sometimes it helps to set up your router properly, sometimes the only other way is to change provider.

    Netcode is bad, and OOR do stress the servers and for this reason I am staying away from German servers, just too much trash there. However it doesnt mean that OOR will be the sole reason for your negative experience.

    Again: I have the best ISP possible, best router possible and A+ grade on every test, all internet/network values are the best they can be and NO problems with other games.
    When they added the limit in BF1 the game had no problems at all for me.

    The game feels close to okay when there are no 60+ or extreme unstable ping players on a 32 player server.

    On 64P servers when only one player with above 80 ping or very unstable ping joins, the difference between client and server hits go up instantly, but also (footstep) sound and other netcode related elements go instant trash.

    The combination of BF V with not powerful enough consoles, 30Hz, netcode, insane TTK/TTD, all the customization/specialization data and current server config just does not work.
  • Vycinas2
    932 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    NLBartmaN wrote: »
    Vycinas2 wrote: »

    I ve seen people with 500mbps+ connections having issues and struggling to hit targets. Most of the time highest speed doesnt equate to quality. Sometimes it helps to set up your router properly, sometimes the only other way is to change provider.

    Netcode is bad, and OOR do stress the servers and for this reason I am staying away from German servers, just too much trash there. However it doesnt mean that OOR will be the sole reason for your negative experience.

    Again: I have the best ISP possible, best router possible and A+ grade on every test, all internet/network values are the best they can be and NO problems with other games.
    When they added the limit in BF1 the game had no problems at all for me.

    The game feels close to okay when there are no 60+ or extreme unstable ping players on a 32 player server.

    On 64P servers when only one player with above 80 ping or very unstable ping joins, the difference between client and server hits go up instantly, but also (footstep) sound and other netcode related elements go instant trash.

    The combination of BF V with not powerful enough consoles, 30Hz, netcode, insane TTK/TTD, all the customization/specialization data and current server config just does not work.

    You can have best equipment in the world, but you need to configure it properly in order for it work right. Again, A+ grade means nothing, I had that 5 years ago with the worst ISP in UK (Talk Talk).
    You claim all these things but I wish you provided evidence (video evidence), not screenshots with network graph enabled.

    Also footsteps and netcode are not related, not even remotely.
  • NLBartmaN
    3054 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Vycinas2 wrote: »


    Also footsteps and netcode are not related, not even remotely.

    The discussion ends here ... LOL
  • Vycinas2
    932 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    NLBartmaN wrote: »
    Vycinas2 wrote: »


    Also footsteps and netcode are not related, not even remotely.

    The discussion ends here ... LOL

    I thought so. But if you still believe that footsteps and netcode are related then you should also believe that earth is flat.
  • NLBartmaN
    3054 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Vycinas2 wrote: »

    I thought so. But if you still believe that footsteps and netcode are related then you should also believe that earth is flat.

    If you think they are not you are convinced the earth is flat ..
  • Vycinas2
    932 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    NLBartmaN wrote: »
    Vycinas2 wrote: »

    I thought so. But if you still believe that footsteps and netcode are related then you should also believe that earth is flat.

    If you think they are not you are convinced the earth is flat ..

    How the game sound file is tied in with netcode ? Explain to me how it works.
  • Jumpy-B-L
    682 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 22
    Vycinas2 wrote: »
    NLBartmaN wrote: »
    Vycinas2 wrote: »

    I thought so. But if you still believe that footsteps and netcode are related then you should also believe that earth is flat.

    If you think they are not you are convinced the earth is flat ..

    How the game sound file is tied in with netcode ? Explain to me how it works.

    The sound file doesn't decide to play itself. Server tells client (your PC) a player is near, client plays sound based on that information. If that information is erroneous, delayed or misinterpreted the client will output bad or no information to player.

    Could be a case of client-side bugs. Information could be accurate but client does not simulate it properly.
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    onylra_II wrote: »
    ackers75 wrote: »
    So when people say apex and fortnite have worse netcode than battlefield v it’s not true at all it’s just that these games don’t hold your hand while playing with ridiculous pings

    You've got it completely backwards dude. All of those BRs favour the client hitreg under all network conditions, and BFV does not - though I'd like to see the ping cut-off for server hitreg lowering (100-120 rather than 160, or is it 150? I forget...). Those games ALL clearly offer a huge advantage to laggers. Furthermore, on top of their miserable tickrates, the response time across the board under 'ideal' network conditions in Apex and Blackout is simply atrocious. Not quite unplayable ... but jeez, they need to work on it.

    BFV's netcode has room for improvement, but it's far beyond your little darlings.
    Indeed, make the hitreg cutoff 100-120ms (which is where I used to kick OOR players) and that would help. Better yet have a hard ping cap at that point, there just is no good side to having players on different continents in the same server. They could have some inter-region servers for players with overseas friends, but nobody should be forced to play with OOR laggers.
  • SrawDawg
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Willhe64 wrote: »
    Bought this game on Thursday. 20+ hours in and I can't believe some of the bs I've seen and experienced. I've come to the conclusion that what you are seeing and what the person shooting at you is seeing are 2 completely different things. Just now I got sniped for 60, backed way down the hill and 2 seconds later I get killed by the same guy. And yes, the kill cam shows his silhouette, no way he should be able to see even a part of me, but he did, and he shot me. I'm 3 feet below the crest of the hill. As soon as you get lit up you are toast, there is no such thing as cover, you think there is, but there isn't. I wonder how many people I've killed who thought they were safely under cover?
    Don't get me started on player movement. This is Morrowind levels of bad. And that game was released in 2002. Constantly getting stuck on objects. Pogo sticking up and down. Climbing rubble is awful. Hit prone and slide around like you are on a yoga ball until you settle. I played BF1 last year and don't recall these issues. I am not asking for parkour levels of greatness but geez man. Every 3D game since 2005 has been smoother than this.
    It's appalling that a AAA title can play like this.

    I think you are ultimately right about that point although it can't be proven. I have often pointed out in the Battlefront 2 forum that there is no proof that all parties are seeing the exact same thing on screen. That game doesn't even have a server browser so there is no way to truly know if the servers are populated or not. And even then, how does one truly know unless they were seated right beside them in the same room and could see their screen?
  • Key2Destiny
    95 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The game is dying so there is no way EA would want to put any more money into the game than necessary.
Sign In or Register to comment.