Why FG-42 buff?

Kongo030
564 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
edited March 22
I'm a heavy FG-42 user since I unlocked it. We were the perfect match. Now it got a buff - nice but completely unnecessary.
I know what will going to happen. People will call it OP the stats will be too good and it'll get a huge nerf.

Proof me wrong Dice but this is my prediction.

Comments

• Kayback
    367 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Eh. I used the Bren over the FG42. I *personally* found it didn't have any benefit for the 20rd mag. I'm willing to give it a swing now.
  • barnesalmighty2
    1096 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I'll be giving it a go later myself. I liked it pre patch so fingers crossed.
  • y_j_es_i
    959 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 22
    Personally I thought the FG-42 was s***e and preferred the KE-7 to it even after all the nerfs it got. Additionally it was worse than the sturmG and STG except when the bipod was deployed and so I saw no reason to use it whatsoever.
    It’s a real shame because I loved the gun in CoD WaW

The rarity of FG-42s on the battlefield is testament to general player consensus

I’m glad they buffed it tho I’m wary that they’ll take it too far but 🤞🏻
  • DrunkOnRedWine
    863 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 22
    Lol, you're complaining about a buff to a weapon you like.

I seriously doubt it'll get a huge nerf

I rarely see it on the BF also - 20 bullets and such a RoF makes this gun potent but ultimately pretty useless at tackling groups of players, fighting at range is a no-no too as it kicks and sprays like a **** - niche gun and nothing more.
  • TheyHaveScissors
    527 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I see DICE did nothing to the laser-lewis hipfiring ADAD spam. OK then. Im glad DICE pays attention to the MG's and buffs a high ROF gun because it was sooooooooooooooooo hard to get kills with it (rofl).
  • OrionPherrit
    406 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Maybe it got the buff to encourage more folks to try an underutilized weapon. I put down the German BAR after upgrading to level 4, but may give it another spin. Had hoped for a hi-cap mag specialization but no dice (and no pun intended). 😐
  • SirTerrible
    1402 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It was a good gun before the nerf and now it is marginally better. I still doubt anyone will use it because it doesn't pair well with a 3x if you're allergic to pulling your aim down and everyone needs a 3x.
  • Hawxxeye
    4360 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 22
    because the nerf on the bombless 75mm JU was not enough to show how ignorant they are.
  • aseveredfoot
    2431 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It was already great. But I know my dumb friends were always complaining about the recoil. Said friends never played BF4 and used tap fire. Which is all the FG needed to make its range good.
  • SupremeAzsoul
    272 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's ugly but i think i'm gonna give it a try now.
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    2894 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Kongo030 wrote: »
    I'm a heavy FG-42 user since I unlocked it. We were the perfect match. Now it got a buff - nice but completely unnecessary.
    I know what will going to happen. People will call it OP the stats will be too good and it'll get a huge nerf.

Proof me wrong Dice but this is my prediction.

I'm in two minds about this, just like you.

I fell in love with the FG-42 again, after I realised that the MG42 is no good for an aggressive playstyle. It's a weapon that can nuke nearly anyone in close range, but still kill people at medium and even long range if you're patient with your tap-firing.

I should be glad that this gun got buffed ... but if people complain about it ... let's hope that people are rational about this (I know I'm asking for too much, but I may as well, try).

The main problem with this gun is it's tiny magazine anyways, so this change won't make that much of a difference, in my opinion.
  • fakemon64
    895 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Yeaaa... I like using the fg42, pretty much one of my goto guns for support. i was unaware that it needed a buff, let alone to recoil.

For longer range shots, I just depended on the bipod. In which case, recoil was pretty minimal. For cqb, I had the bayonet at my disposal.

Lol, what was the buff for? Did they forget it's a lmg and not an ar
  • TennouHeikaBanza
    382 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 22
    it was not that bad, and I gold-plated it, but KE7 and Bren were just better. No reason to choose it over the two guns.

And horizontal recoil from 0.525 to 0.5... that’s close to nothing. Hardly to call it as a buff.
  • Kongo030
    I guess I got pretty good with the FG and could handle the recoil well. Only played it a few times post buff but it felt like cheating now. Yes the recoil is quite unique but if you love this gun it loves you back.
    It let's you play in the first line and you come across groups that aren't on 100% health and you can shred four enemies with 20 rounds. Especially in combination with AP mines that reduce health of an attacking squad.

Let's hope it stays under the radar.....I take from the comments that it was a rare weapon before.
  • B0ng0_Banger
    1118 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    can't say i noticed any difference. still wrecks up close and is still hit or miss at range.
  • parkingbrake
    2726 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    y_j_es_i wrote: »
    Personally I thought the FG-42 was s***e and preferred the KE-7 to it even after all the nerfs it got. Additionally it was worse than the sturmG and STG except when the bipod was deployed and so I saw no reason to use it whatsoever.
    It’s a real shame because I loved the gun in CoD WaW

The rarity of FG-42s on the battlefield is testament to general player consensus

I’m glad they buffed it tho I’m wary that they’ll take it too far but 🤞🏻

It's poor without the specializations, but once you've upgraded it the thing is a chainsaw, or at least that's what I've been finding.
  • l_water_l
    1536 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    FG-42 is my most used gun for support and overall. It was great before the patch lol. I never use an optic on it only the AA sights.
  • Kongo030
    can't say i noticed any difference. still wrecks up close and is still hit or miss at range.

It's a lot easier to follow a moving target at mid range with full auto.
  • bran1986
    5301 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Kayback wrote: »
    Eh. I used the Bren over the FG42. I *personally* found it didn't have any benefit for the 20rd mag. I'm willing to give it a swing now.

Bren is the most underrated gun in the game IMO.
  • y_j_es_i
    959 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 23
    fakemon64 wrote: »
    Yeaaa... I like using the fg42, pretty much one of my goto guns for support. i was unaware that it needed a buff, let alone to recoil.

For longer range shots, I just depended on the bipod. In which case, recoil was pretty minimal. For cqb, I had the bayonet at my disposal.

Lol, what was the buff for? Did they forget it's a lmg and not an ar

Well for an LMG it’s accuracy was poor and like I said earlier, there was no reason to choose it over the KE even after all the nerfs unless you just love the gun (which I did after CoD WaW.) This was clearly unfair seeing as you start with the KE-7

In CQC, at 670 RPM it’s relatively poor accuracy coupled with its 20 round mag made it no match for SturmGs, M1907s, and three of the most popular medic guns. It was a match for a few of the assault semi-autos but those outclass it outside of CQC. It was a dud