DISCUSSION: Battlefield V: Firestorm

Comments

• AntiSaneity
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    y_j_es_i wrote: »
    Sometimes I’ll be the only one left in my squad and everyone else will have left the game. When this happens, the lack of team chat means that you have to completely lone wolf the rest of the game.
    When a squad is down to one or two people the squad leader should have the option of fusing his/her squad with another squad that has space

It's a BR game. Hard no.
  • CoyotexStarrk619
    189 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I love how the OP is written in a way that clearly shows the person has no idea what an BR game mode is or how it works lol
  • MrJayPee71
    209 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Trokey66 wrote: »
    In other words, you were unlucky.

Exactly. This is the worst thing you can say about any game that includes skill based ganeplay. Not 'outplayed' or 'outgunned', no, it's just 'unlucky. This word takes any thrill of competition and throws it out the window.

You can be unlucky on that occasion and luckier on others- it’s just the characteristics of the mode and I’m OK with that personally.

Playing devils advocate here a bit, I can see how having a bad start and surviving and looting more and ending up in the last circle etc could stir your juices
  • NLBartmaN
    4482 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It clearly is the most annoying part about BR and some of my Platoon members stoped playing after 2 rounds with bad luck (and too much running to meet other players) and won't touch it again.

But I did some rounds with an experienced BR player (Fortnite, Apex, etc) and you can partly avoid getting in those situation by having a different start strategy.

Avoid jumping together with other squads, jump further away from the middle, look around before you jump and land and run away if needed.
    In around 10 rounds we never got in a bad luck situation and were fully geared up before our first encounter.

The looting is just a (important) part of a BR game and doing it right can give you victories.

But I agree it is a taste thing, you like it or not.
  • VincentNZ
    3885 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah I agree with OP on this one. Loot plays too big of a part in this gamemode, even more than in the others I played. While noone has to fear to not have a RDS or scope on his weapon in PUBG, you can very well have rounds with only T1 weapons that do not have specs or scopes. The rift between T1 and T3 is simply too big.
    Armour is another thing. You can pretty much assume an enemy having T2 vest in PUBG along with a T2 helmet. Reducing your incoming damage by 40% (50% with T3). Which brings your total health up to 200 HP in BF standards. However armour will last you a fair bit longer in this game, because it breaks slowly and equipping it does not prevent you from taking health damage, so you can always loot a new vest from an opponent.
    In Firestorm, there is little chance of looting armour plates of an enemy after a longer duration firefight. That is a big issue.
  • SirTerrible
    1713 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    RNG plays a huge role in BR games, that's partly why they are popular. With better loot you can beat better players, it gives the average player some hope each round hah. I wouldn't play a BR game competitively that's for sure.
    I would say a BR game with pre-set loadouts instead of looting would be more fun but not having to find loot would just lead to people cheesing camp spots more often and it'd probably get stale.
  • illusionistGP
    26 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Battlefield V: Firestorm is the best in the world battle royale!
    Many thanks to the developers. From Russia with love!
    Fun & best moments in bf5 BR look here will be soon.
  • JAGUAR1950
    26 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I’ve look at this and played it with a friend for all of half an hour, this game mode is absolute rubbish if this is all the E.A. game designers can come up with for a NEW came mode you have failed miserably. Better you concentrate on NEW theatres of War with newer MAPS this is what the Battlefield players want and have been asking for. E.A. you really are insulting your backer’s intelligence.
  • munkt0r
    3037 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    RNG plays a huge role in BR games, that's partly why they are popular. With better loot you can beat better players, it gives the average player some hope each round hah. I wouldn't play a BR game competitively that's for sure.
    I would say a BR game with pre-set loadouts instead of looting would be more fun but not having to find loot would just lead to people cheesing camp spots more often and it'd probably get stale.

I agree, but in reality the "cheesing up camp spots" only works for the first few rings, by the end of it the playing field is so small it always ends in a straight up firefight.

• TKing2
    64 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    All weapons are viable at the start except maybe melee. I once just found an RPG in the house and still managed to kill the guy coming at me with the gun. 2 hits with my RPG and he was down.
    Every other gun is fine too, except liberator ofc. Pistols can be difficult sometimes, but you usually need max 2 houses to find a real gun. With this its possible to win every firefight it then comes down to your aiming obviously (most important) and your positioning (almost as important). Choose your fights.
    Despite some obvious issues like the loot system of dead players or no ping system / ability to use sights of your own liking on your weapons, im having incredible fun with this BR and i played PUBG and Apex. The gunplay is BF is just simply the best by a far margin.
    I also seem to not run around ages to get the best gadgets, some green weapons are just as fine as rare or epic ones. It mostly comes down to the sights they have for me, especially on sniper/singe bolt weapons.
  • Squad_Cohesion
    910 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It runs better than PUBG, is alot prettier and offers more freedom but... the gunmechanics in this game are far too shallow to make it interesting in the long run.

Also, 64 players. Why not 100?
  • MachoFantast1c0
    2067 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Tried playing what everyone is so hyped about - Was my first and last time playing BR.

A total RNG campfest. I don't understand why was it necessary to add those stupid RNG systems. I've heard it was going to be fair and even fight, it's anything but that. People who are lucky to find pink weapons instantly get an advantage over everyone else.

Why couldn't they leave all guns at default settings or apply certain specs to them, or just allow players to pick the specialization they want for them so that when player drops and finds a gun, that gun will have his specializations applied.

Same goes for armor. You could go 1 v 1 against someone and they will win only because they sucked up more bullets than you because of higher level armor.

These are pretty much the reasons that completely turn me off the mode. The randomness makes it too frustrating to overcome the thrill. Combined with slowness, busy work, convolutedness and slow ramp up time make it feel like a waste of time (last night squad queuing took around five minutes from initiating matchmaking to hitting ground). It's time that I could use to actually play an FPS instead of waiting around.

I'm not complaining per se, I hope it reinvigorates the game and boosts developer support, I'll just personally not play it.
  • Fusgus
    7 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Fusgus wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish, four of us tried it out as a squad last night.
    Contrived concept already available in lots of different flavours. Not BF!
    Please let's hope its the end of this experiment and we go back to development of new maps and missions.

But golly gee... arent you excited to drive the tractor?

Nope
  • JamieCurnock
    726 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I imagine this will get shouted down and probably wouldn't work anyway but, what if you could revive a 'dead' soldier like in apex?

So obviously not a dead soldier but maybe instead of dying after being downed you fall unconscious (from the pain of the injury?) Anyway, your squad mates can then decide to either carry the unconscious player to a 'field hospital' (maybe multiple of them dotted around the map). After a quick stab of a needle at the field hospital the soldier is up on his feet again.

You could transport a soldier via any vehicle to the field hospitals, if not then they must be carried which exposes the person carrying them as they can only use a handgun, this then provides the risk reward balance.
  • TheSacar
    1005 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Admittedly my only BR experience comes from playing Apex, so my two cents on the game mode may be somewhat biased:

1. Looting: This is just terrible. Did people actually test this? You eventually figure out what ammo you need for what gun and what gadgets you want, but because boxes and corpses just vomit all the loot into a disorganized heap of stuff, you cannot loot quickly. Sometimes you actually have to pick up things you don't want and drop them again, so you can actually reach what you want. Try quickly grabbing much needed ammo after a fight before the next guy comes around to kill you. It's almost impossible.
    2. Guns: Not sure about the tier system for sights. Seems to me that if I want to play iron sights, I have to stick to guns with hard to control recoil.
    3. HUD: The entire backpack constantly on your screen isn't helpful at all. This needs to be toned down.
    4. Drop: I would love if you could better see where people drop to give you a choice if you want to have early game fights or loot in a quiet neighborhood. By the time parachutes are deployed you are already committed to the general area.
    5. Mobility: I get that this is taken from the base game, but there are so many ledges you should be able to reach but you cant. It's frustrating. You can get stuck in stupid places in a firefight, because there is literally only one way out.
    6. Squad communication: OK to beat the awesome and intuitive ping system of apex is too much to ask. But when playing with random squad members it's like four headless chickens trying to run away form their own shadow. You spent so much more time trying to figure out what your squad mates are doing, you hardly get to loot.
    7. Quitting/Starting a game: Now I hear that the whole "we pointlessly run around in a lobby for 60 seconds" thing is rather standard, but I wonder if it is necessary. Between finding a game, selecting your character and then spending a minute in a lobby it can take more than two minutes before you are ready to jump from the plane. And when you die you have to wait for the score to be shown before you can quit? Also if there is a "play again" button, why doesn't it automatically queue me in the mode I played before but forces me to chose between solo and squads every time?

On a more general note:
    I am a Battlefield veteran since BF2 and when Apex Legends dropped I was immediately hooked, even though gun plan and movement are so different from BF. I had hoped to be equally hooked on Firestorm, but I am not. The main reason is that Apex is so refreshingly (almost) bug free and well tested. After all the years of BF I had forgotten that releasing a major title in a finished state is actually possible. I did go back to Battlefield the first couple of days but usually left after a few rounds because I was fed up with the many bugs and the abysmal balancing. And similarly Firestorm feels very unfinished and untested to me.
    In direct comparison Respawn developers seem to play their own game a lot, where DICE developers (and now Criterion as well apparently) do not spent a lot of time testing their game. I just cannot see how the terrible looting could have gotten through proper play tests, just as I do not understand, how DICE's sledgehammer balancing could be possible with actual testing.
    All in all it is sad to see how we are being fed half finished and untested mediocre games in the Battlefield series and then get stomped on again by not being given rental servers, which kills competitive play. But then, that was already dead. It used to be that training your skill made you better in battlefield. Now its just catering to the casuals.
    Well, I'm done ranting....
  • LinkZeppeloyd
    994 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I love how the OP is written in a way that clearly shows the person has no idea what an BR game mode is or how it works lol

Again, I'm referring to multiple occasions where devs claim that Firestorm plays like battlefield and feels like battlefield. In reality its neither of those things.

Battle Royale is Battle Royale is Battle Royale man. Firestorm has vehicles, which is what I think they mean by “Battlefield way.”
This discussion has been closed.