Why Firestorm?

Fusgus
7 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
OK I'm over 50, I'm a senior gamer but in a platoon of older gamers who love the BF format. So why turn BF into fortnight? To what end? To attract new players while alienating the die hards? We squadded up to try it out with an open mind but after a few tries we all hated it recognising we are not the hunger games generation that this game format appeals to.
So now what, is this the way forward for BFV? I don't usually get too bothered by the fortunes and trends in gaming, stick to what I know and enjoy those games in the company of friends. Firestorm actually makes me angry knowing that game development time has been wasted instead of on more of what BF players want. My platoon are fast tiring of the new game, after playing all other incarnations relentlessly for years. I doubt anyone is listening out there but that's how I see it and this is what I'm hearing.

Comments

• James_D_Sidious
    406 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    it's there to justify cosmetic MIcortransactions in the future if nothing else. Played two rounds, got bored, switched back to Conquest. BRs aren't for everyone. It has it's right to be there, but i rather have such a map with gameplay like the one Planetside 2 offers. Too bad we'll never get that in the BF franchise.
  • Fusgus
    7 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Let's not justify microtransactions I paid already.
  • moosehunter1969
    1108 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Don’t play it if you don’t want to. Plenty of people like BR games they are very popular. However they aren’t compulsory.
    I’ll give it a go, I didn’t like PUBG thought it extremely boring but lots of my mates think it’s the bees knees.
    If we all liked the same things it’d be a very boring world.
  • Fusgus
    Very true but my point is why expand this game of this genra into a different game of a different genra when people are asking for more of the original.
  • ElliotLH
    7821 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Fusgus wrote: »
    Very true but my point is why expand this game of this genra into a different game of a different genra when people are asking for more of the original.

Shareholders.
  • CosmicStriker
    694 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Do you remember the Gun Master on BF3 or Elimination on BF4 ? or War Pigeons in BF1 or Onslaught in BC2
    if no then you never played those modes and they did not bring them over to the next BF game
    if yes then you'll know few people played them after their release times, and you would be lucky to find a game with players now on any of those games modes.
  • Doc943
    34 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    +1 tried two rounds, didn’t see the relevance and went back to Conquest. :|
  • SixTouge
    154 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    ElliotLH wrote: »

Shareholders.

This. Shareholders aren't necessarily gamers and may not even have the first clue when it comes to games, but the popularity of Fortnite ensured that EVERYONE knows about it's popularity. To the uninitiated, it would be easy to see not having a "fortnight mode" as leaving money on the table.

I get it to some degree, but I'm quite surprised they did it as it really is an entirely different type of game. In some respect the DICE team should be commended for essentially making two games in one.
  • Dellymon
    1 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 28
    If only if only there was firestorm but they used zombies instead of fire. Where they keep closing in on you and destroying the house your held up in. Which forces you to move to another house. But you get over run so you hop in a tank but they can swarm the tank and break the tracks. So the squad runs into a house for saftey any way...... I mean ...... Nm
  • moosehunter1969
    1108 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Do you remember the Gun Master on BF3 or Elimination on BF4 ? or War Pigeons in BF1 or Onslaught in BC2
    if no then you never played those modes and they did not bring them over to the next BF game
    if yes then you'll know few people played them after their release times, and you would be lucky to find a game with players now on any of those games modes.
    War Pigeons was a fantastic game mode, really really enjoyed it.
  • sonovamuun
    1 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    OK I'm over 50, I'm a senior gamer but in a platoon of older gamers who love the BF format. So why turn BF into fortnight? To what end? To attract new players while alienating the die hards? We squadded up to try it out with an open mind but after a few tries we all hated it recognising we are not the hunger games generation that this game format appeals to.
    So now what, is this the way forward for BFV? I don't usually get too bothered by the fortunes and trends in gaming, stick to what I know and enjoy those games in the company of friends. Firestorm actually makes me angry knowing that game development time has been wasted instead of on more of what BF players want. My platoon are fast tiring of the new game, after playing all other incarnations relentlessly for years. I doubt anyone is listening out there but that's how I see it and this is what I'm hearing.

I'm in the older generation as well, my friends and I play pretty much every day, and we look forward to the new modes and achievements. I cant tell you how disappointed I was to check out the new content today and realize it was just firestorm nonsense.
    That being said, I'm also really disappointed with this new BR mode being forced down our throats.
    I didn't start playing BF so I could play PUBG or Fortnight, I dont want to play those games, and I never will.
    I do want to play BF because of the tactical aspect involved in squad play and the dynamics that go along with that. I will continue to play the game, but I will ignore the new FS content until it passes. Hopefully, developers will realize (stomps foot loudly) that the majority of players are of the same mindset.
    It's fine to open up new avenues of play, as well as catering to the smaller demographic of players that enjoy this style, (that's a good business model) but dont force the majority of players to play through that content to complete weekly assignments and achievements. In the long run, you will lose players and alienate people.
  • full951
    2422 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    firestorm is nothing like fortnite. it isn't going to attract very many fortnite fans. firestorm is far from the type of BR that would appeal to fortnite fans. dice would have to double the aim assist and the ttk at least to get them to play consistently.

it might appeal to some pubg fans. because I know I wish pubg looked as good and ran as good. overall I don't see this game appealing to younger people in general, BR or not. tweens like dance emotes and colorful skins. none of that here. the game almost forgets to tell you if you win a round

if you feel alienated then that's on the devs of the main game. a different studio did this BR mode. firestorm is additive. it doesn't hold back dices work on BFV,. they did that all themselves
  • full951
    2422 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Dellymon wrote: »
    If only if only there was firestorm but they used zombies instead of fire. Where they keep closing in on you and destroying the house your held up in. Which forces you to move to another house. But you get over run so you hop in a tank but they can swarm the tank and break the tracks. So the squad runs into a house for saftey any way...... I mean ...... Nm

let's get this game made. huge missed opportunity by bo4 clearly
  • PhatHamWallet
    142 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Team deathmatch is mode i don't like, and I feel it doesn't belong in a Battlefield game. You know what i do about it? I don't play it.
  • KPNuts74
    497 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I’m 45 and love it
  • Aflag666
    139 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The Battle Royale format is the current "hot item" in PvP gaming right now. So having one for BFV is a no brainer for easy revenue for the devs. With EA taking such a hard financial hit from the Battlefront 2 fallout, it's not surprising they are looking to get Battle Royale games up and running. Notice they also released Apex. This is from Warframe lore I think?, and it didn't take much for them to adapt that into a Battle Royale. A pretty good one too from what people into Battle Royales are saying. I'm actually impressed with Firestorm despite not being a BR player myself. It's a pretty good Battle Royale version at first glance. I purhcased BFV for those "Battlefield moments" with absolutely no interest in Firestorm. But we all got plenty of heads up that Firestorm was going to be a part of BFV so being surprised and annoyed at this point is being a bit late to the party. In fact, just knowing how the BR game mode is sweeping FPS gaming should be enough to negate any surprise at BFV or any other FPS having one. CoD BLOPS 4 has one as well. And I won't be surprised if down the line Ubisoft looks to add a BR to either Division or Ghost Recon Wildlands. Not sure they need it with Siege as that game is raking in plenty of reveune with a solid fan base.
  • Lexen
    60 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Aflag666 wrote: »
    The Battle Royale format is the current "hot item" in PvP gaming right now. So having one for BFV is a no brainer for easy revenue for the devs. With EA taking such a hard financial hit from the Battlefront 2 fallout, it's not surprising they are looking to get Battle Royale games up and running. Notice they also released Apex. This is from Warframe lore I think?, and it didn't take much for them to adapt that into a Battle Royale. A pretty good one too from what people into Battle Royales are saying. I'm actually impressed with Firestorm despite not being a BR player myself. It's a pretty good Battle Royale version at first glance. I purhcased BFV for those "Battlefield moments" with absolutely no interest in Firestorm. But we all got plenty of heads up that Firestorm was going to be a part of BFV so being surprised and annoyed at this point is being a bit late to the party. In fact, just knowing how the BR game mode is sweeping FPS gaming should be enough to negate any surprise at BFV or any other FPS having one. CoD BLOPS 4 has one as well. And I won't be surprised if down the line Ubisoft looks to add a BR to either Division or Ghost Recon Wildlands. Not sure they need it with Siege as that game is raking in plenty of reveune with a solid fan base.

Apex is Titanfall, not Warframe just fyi

I agree though, that Firestorm is a pretty decent BR though I'm not a big BR fan. I still play them from time to time and do well enough. I just get bored with them too quickly.

But I also agree with OP in that I wish they would have just focused on making conquest the best it could be because that's their best mode and where their fanbase has been. With the issues that still plague the game, it's frustrating to see a huge new mode that is a big departure from traditional BF.
  • mymazeman
    2 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Don’t play it if you don’t want to. Plenty of people like BR games they are very popular. However they aren’t compulsory.
    I’ll give it a go, I didn’t like PUBG thought it extremely boring but lots of my mates think it’s the bees knees.

In my opinion they have made it compulsory as it is necessary to the all of the trial by fire assignments that have been released so that you have to play it or follow.a.convoluted side path. Overall I think this is also a problem from the previous season as when they release a new game mode they force you to play it, such as that terrible squad conquest thing. But still i can't see the appeal of BRs as a game when ten seconds in you can die and instantly fail seems like just self flagellation.
  • SixTouge
    154 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

I finally gave it a go. It is very much like PubG that actually works well, much more enjoyable. That said, the game type still really doesn't do it for me.