Will my performance increase?

EliteLima
153 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
I have a i5 7400 3.00-3.50 and a 1050ti 4gb
If i buy a i5 7600k 3.80-4.20, will i get more fps or the 1050ti will cap it down?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• TNA_SneakyMonkey
    545 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Are you getting a solid 60fps with your current CPU?

You'll see a better performance boost from an i7-7700K, but that's obviously more expensive.
  • xKusagamix
    898 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Get the i7 7700, it'll boost boost your fps and smooth gameplay experience much more than the i5 7600K.
  • SteveZee
    346 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Changing CPUS WONT MATTER unless there is a latency issue on the original somewhere. As long as it can feed the GPU fast enough, the GPU will always be the bottleneck.

Your first test would to see if the current CPU is bottlenecking you and/or if youre getting framerate drops anywhere in the scene due to physics related calculations.

Where odes your CPU USAGE sit vs GPU USAGE? That's a good start. And if your fps drops, how much does it drop and when?
  • EliteLima
    153 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Are you getting a solid 60fps with your current CPU?

You'll see a better performance boost from an i7-7700K, but that's obviously more expensive.

I have 60 fps most of the time, only goes to 45ish when there's to many smoke grenades deployed or the FIRESTORM fire is to close in the end.
  • EliteLima
    SteveZee wrote: »
    Changing CPUS WONT MATTER unless there is a latency issue on the original somewhere. As long as it can feed the GPU fast enough, the GPU will always be the bottleneck.

Your first test would to see if the current CPU is bottlenecking you and/or if youre getting framerate drops anywhere in the scene due to physics related calculations.

Where odes your CPU USAGE sit vs GPU USAGE? That's a good start. And if your fps drops, how much does it drop and when?

My fps drop more in situations with lots of smoke grenades/explosions happening at same time or when the firestorm fire is very close.
  • EliteLima
    If you guys say that CPU wont change stuff, i might change my minds and buy a PGV ASUS NVIDIA GTX 1060 EXPEDITION 6GB GDDR5 PCIE3 or even a GTX 1660 TI OC 6GB GDDR6 PCIE3
  • TNA_SneakyMonkey
    545 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 28
    My fps drop more in situations with lots of smoke grenades/explosions happening at same time or when the firestorm fire is very close.
    Those are all effects that hit CPU.
    EliteLima wrote: »
    If you guys say that CPU wont change stuff, i might change my minds and buy a PGV ASUS NVIDIA GTX 1060 EXPEDITION 6GB GDDR5 PCIE3 or even a GTX 1660 TI OC 6GB GDDR6 PCIE3
    Do you have Afterburner?

If not, download it (scroll to the bottom of the page), extract it and install it. Set up the on-screen display to show GPU usage and CPU usage across the four CPU cores. As you're playing (and particularly in intense scenes) check the CPU and GPU usage. You can also save the output to a log file for when you get tired of dying because you're watching the OSD and not the game.

If your CPU is reaching 100% usage, the GPU is not, and this coincides with framerate drops, you are bottlenecked by the CPU and should upgrade. If your GPU is at 100% but your CPU isn't, you are being bottlenecked by the GPU and should upgrade that.

Personally, given that the CPU scores lower than an i5-6600K (the minimum spec for the game) in benchmarks, I suspect your CPU is the problem. Battlefield has historically been a very demanding game in terms of CPU. BFV is one of the most CPU-intensive games I know of.

Upgrading the GPU to a 1060 or 1660 Ti might not have any impact on the FPS drops. Moreover, both those cards are significantly more powerful than a 1050Ti, and you'll probably want to push the graphics quality settings up, which will be more demanding on the CPU. So, to save yourself possibly wasting money (although the 1660 will be a hefty upgrade over the 1050Ti for other games), you should determine which component is causing the problem before you spend any money.

• TNA_SneakyMonkey
    @LOLGotYerTags - The forum ate my homework! If you please, sir!

While we wait:

Don't rush out an buy a 1660 Ti - it might not address your issues, and indeed might make the problem worse.
  • TNA_SneakyMonkey
    Do you have Afterburner?

If not, download it (scroll to the bottom of the page), extract it and install it. Set up the on-screen display to show GPU usage and CPU usage across the four CPU cores. As you're playing (and particularly in intense scenes) check the CPU and GPU usage. You can also save the output to a log file for when you get tired of dying because you're watching the OSD and not the game.

If your CPU is reaching 100% usage, the GPU is not, and this coincides with framerate drops, you are bottlenecked by the CPU and should upgrade. If your GPU is at 100% but your CPU isn't, you are being bottlenecked by the GPU and should upgrade that.

Personally, given that the CPU scores lower than an i5-6600K (the minimum spec for the game) in benchmarks, I suspect your CPU is the problem. Battlefield has historically been a very demanding game in terms of CPU. BFV is one of the most CPU-intensive games I know of.

Upgrading the GPU to a 1060 or 1660 Ti might not have any impact on the FPS drops. Moreover, both those cards are significantly more powerful than a 1050Ti, and you'll probably want to push the graphics quality settings up, which will be more demanding on the CPU. So, to save yourself possibly wasting money (although the 1660 will be a hefty upgrade over the 1050Ti for other games), you should determine which component is causing the problem before you spend any money.
  • ragnarok013
    2908 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    @LOLGotYerTags - The forum ate my homework! If you please, sir!

While we wait:

Don't rush out an buy a 1660 Ti - it might not address your issues, and indeed might make the problem worse.

@TNA_SneakyMonkey I released your message from the spam queue. There were 4 versions of it so I released the final time stamp.
  • TFBisquit
    1329 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 28
    EliteLima, 6 cores or threads will drastically improve your fps. Your 1050ti will hold out a bit longer.
    Look at it this way, you get more fps at the same settings.
    And fps is what you want in mp shooters.
  • EliteLima
    TFBisquit wrote: »
    EliteLima, 6 cores or threads will drastically improve your fps. Your 1050ti will hold out a bit longer.
    Look at it this way, you get more fps at the same settings.
    And fps is what you want in mp shooters.

Yea i think i will give it a shot in a new CPU, as they are way cheaper then GPUs, i will think about it. GPU might come next.
  • SystemicProgress
    78 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I have a i5 7400 3.00-3.50 and a 1050ti 4gb
    If i buy a i5 7600k 3.80-4.20, will i get more fps or the 1050ti will cap it down?

Thanks in advance

A better CPU will typically give you more FPS. I would recommend a 6 core CPU for BF5. The next question would be how many FPS are you aiming at? That GPU should be ok for a consistent 60 - 80 FPS.
  • CSO7777
    1077 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    A better CPU will typically give you more FPS. I would recommend a 6 core CPU for BF5. The next question would be how many FPS are you aiming at? That GPU should be ok for a consistent 60 - 80 FPS.
    This. Don't buy another 4 core CPU, this game really loves 6+ cores/threads. If you can, buy an I7-7700(K if possible). Perhaps you can get a used one for "cheap".
  • Jinko_itx
    685 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    a 4 core/8 thread or 6 core/6 thread is a must for this game
  • TNA_SneakyMonkey
    Do you have Afterburner?

• Jinko_itx
    685 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Do you have Afterburner?

historically, Battlefield has always been known to bring PC to its knees (unless you have specs like mine or similar), many newcomers to Battlefield will no doubt complain about performance
  • TNA_SneakyMonkey
    Sure, I agree. I was being as informative as I could to the best of my knowledge of PCs and Battlefield while also being polite to the OP and subsequent posters. Besides, it's always a good idea to look at computer performance analytically.
  • TFBisquit
    1329 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Battlefield 5 is actually the first one not bringing cpu's on their knees. Unless they have only 4 threads. Tried it with hyperthreading disabled last night, performance was still good but fps drops were big also.
    Below 60 fps sometimes.
    Anyway, better graphics card is more eyecandy at the same fps, faster cpu is more fps at the same eyecandy. Always was this way.
    I recall playing bf2142 on an amd athlon xp3800 and jumping between 50 and 70 fps. I thought it was fine, then I upgraded to the E8500, oc'ed it and saw 100 fps as a minimum. My ingame performance doubled and overall enjoyment was increased tremendously.
    Nowadays anything above 60 fps gives the same performance overall, besides extra eyecandy. But it used to be different, where more fps meant better aim etc etc.
    Core2 and sandy was the biggest leap from intel, let's see if they can repeat that.
  • BaronVonGoon
    6641 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 29
    Isn't it cheaper to get a Ryzen 5 2600 AND upgrade the GPU than to buy an Intel CPU?

New Ryzen 5 2600 + RX 580 is approximately $50 more than an I5 7600.