An open letter to Dice. Some of us have legitimately lost all trust & faith in you...

TuskenAdz
9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
I know I'm not the only one. And that has to be a MAJOR problem for you. You know that, right?

I've owned every Battlefield (& Battlefront) game since Battlefield2. A lot of my gaming pals were the same. I'm currently the only one who owns BFV. There are so many great games out there competing right now, they were all waiting to see what I reported back on Firestorm & would then take advantage of the sale. But as much as I'd love the squad mates, I can't tell recommend they buy it. Not when I keep getting thrown into servers with 200ms ping and no option to select local only servers (Australia) or browse servers. The core game is fine... but lacking in content a little. I love Firestorm, but... not at 200ms. And tbh we didn't get that much value out of BF1. BF4 is so much more fun in every way comparatively. (I would kill for an X enhanced patch... but obviously that'll never happen, as it would cannibalise BFV. Shame)

I'm one of the few who purchased BFV specifically for Firestorm, I'll admit it. It was %50 off & I caved. I played the BF5 beta, and while it was fine, I still enjoyed BF1 and hadn't played it a lot. I had DLC maps I'd barely touched, and BFV didn't seem that different. A few of us had gone back to playing BF4 a lot more recently, despite the lack of AA & 720p res on xbox. There's just something about BF4 (& BF3) that's missing in the newer titles.
Also... I wanted to not buy BFV in sorta protest. The whole SJW fiasco with BFV...sure. But also, I'm still livid at your handling of Battlefront 2 (and one).
I have a half dozen friends who are all massive Star Wars fans... and we played Battlefront 2 for all of a couple of weeks before we started getting thrown into empty lobbies (Australia) repeatedly. It never recovered. I'd check every couple of weeks, and every time there was an update. But the only games we could get into were the Galactic Assault mode, and we all prefer the smaller team games. Initially I believe it was likely the matchmaking at fault. The problem was, if it was eventually fixed, then it was at a point where player numbers were terrible, so the problem continued.
The thing is... BF1 had the exact same problem if you didn't use the server browser. If you selected a game mode that had no player count, rather than tell you... it would throw you into empty servers on a loop.
Such was your arrogance that our pleading for a server browser fell on deaf ears. And it's what killed BF2, at least in my region. That's an absolute fact. Why would anyone spend a half hour to an hour of a night waiting to get into empty lobbies night after night when there are so many other (working) games to play? It's why the player count is so low despite it being a STAR WARS game (which SHOULD be a license to print money) and despite being able to buy it for, what? $7 during some sales? Millions of people have it. It's actually a fantastic game. But you killed your own player base with monumental screw up after monumental screw up.

So that's it for me, and definitely a lot of the people I play with. No more buying your games sight unseen. Or possibly at all. We've been burnt too many times now. There are an overwhelming number of quality games to choose from now that all work perfectly... that have a large player count and local servers. That's the reality. I'm not being dramatic, but it boggles the mind how this happens at such a large company. People should be fired. They're clearly not doing their job. How Disney hasn't sued you for lost revenue is beyond me. How do you screw up a Star Wars game? It has a built in fan base chomping at the bit for content. The hubris required to not listen to your fans/customers is alarming. "You can't find a game & want a server browser to help keep it alive? No problem...done!" should have been the appropriate response. Not silence. How hard can this stuff be? EVERYONE else seems to not have any problems with their matchmaking. You know what's going on. You would have people reading the forums. You would have statistics coming back on people playing.... searching.... quitting... crashing. You know player numbers of your games vs other games. It's like you're actively trying to self sabotage. It's infuriating.

It's like the whole fiasco with the 'women in BFV' thing. I can't speak for everybody, obviously. But nobody I know has a problem with women in games. It was the CONTEXT. I didn't like having female soldiers rammed down my throat in WW2 for the same reason I didn't like stormtroopers without helmets in Battlefront1. It took you out of the moment. It was jarring. It wasn't authentic. This was positioned as an authentic WW2 experience & all we could see was a company pushing an agenda. I'll play female characters til the cows come home in other games. Fortnite, Apex, GTA, Division. Whatever... bring on the female characters. If I'm playing Madden, however... I don't want a cheerleader to suddenly be the quarterback. Just make it authentic where appropriate. Jeez. I know you're listening. It was curious that there wasn't a single female character in the Firestorm trailer.

But the damage is done. My pals & I have a Star Wars game we can't play. It's our fault really. The first Battlefront had the EXACT same matchmaking issues & we all (foolishly, apparently) figured you would have fixed the issues, since... you're a AAA game developer & it would have been ludicrous for you not to. Of COURSE they'll fix it, right? It would be amateur not to. It would make no business sense. They could lose the Star Wars license. It would be economically irresponsible! 'All good reasons to believe you'd get your act together' I thought at the time as I pre-ordered. Nope.

And now BFV. Firestorm. It's great! (apart from the looting system... but you already know that). Only problem is.... lag. Ping.
History is gonna repeat itself here guys. 2 nights in & I've already bailed on it to go play Apex (with my friends, who don't own BFV). You have DAYS... not weeks or months... to fix these issues or you'll lose players you won't be able to get back.

You want to earn some good will back from your loyal customers? Let us see whose playing on local servers & give us the option to wait 10 minutes to play on local servers. No gamer likes playing on servers in another country. You're gamers yourselves. You KNOW this. If the player numbers are too low, eat humble pie... make Firestorm F2P & try to get revenue from cosmetic items. (NOT items that affect gameplay...I'm sure you've learned your lesson from the BF2 loot boxes drama)
While you're at it... give us a server browser in Battlefront2 so we can play what we paid for.
And a quick BF4 enhanced patch for X/pro console players at 1080p with some anti-aliasing would be a real feel-good move.
Then... maybe... we'll trust you enough again to get your next game. Until then though... there's no way in hell.

Comments

• TuskenAdz
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Well... to be fair, I guess I've wanted to post a bunch of different times I've been frustrated about different problems & never bothered... so consequently my post is probably a little schizophrenic.
    The point is... I have been a long term fan. As have a lot of friends who, along with me, have bought every game and season pass for years. If I'm the only one out of a dozen or so who bought BFV after being fed up with all of these constant disappointments and issues, then I can only assume this is the case the world over. The sales figures would suggest so. So I'm left wondering.... when are Dice/EA gonna actually do something about it?
    But forgive my long winded-ness. Your TLDR is fair enough. Although I never said I don't know how to use a server browser. I do... and love them. Which is why I wish BF2 had one & Firestorm was included in BFV's.
  • ElliotLH
    8177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    TuskenAdz wrote: »
    Well... to be fair, I guess I've wanted to post a bunch of different times I've been frustrated about different problems & never bothered... so consequently my post is probably a little schizophrenic.
    The point is... I have been a long term fan. As have a lot of friends who, along with me, have bought every game and season pass for years. If I'm the only one out of a dozen or so who bought BFV after being fed up with all of these constant disappointments and issues, then I can only assume this is the case the world over. The sales figures would suggest so. So I'm left wondering.... when are Dice/EA gonna actually do something about it?
    But forgive my long winded-ness. Your TLDR is fair enough. Although I never said I don't know how to use a server browser. I do... and love them. Which is why I wish BF2 had one & Firestorm was included in BFV's.

This reply is what your main post should have been as it gets to the heart of the problem without the waffle.

The bit about the browser was just because the op didn't make it clear you were talking about Firestorm.
  • Mann68heim
    29 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    MiMiMi everywhere, really guys ... it's a game. Get on with life or maybe get a life.

They know what they did wrong, they will fix some things, break others and eventually BF V will become decent in
    a year or so. Same story with almost every BF game so far.

Just relax.. IT'S A GAME :smiley:
  • SupremeAzsoul
    332 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Mann68heim wrote: »
    MiMiMi everywhere, really guys ... it's a game. Get on with life or maybe get a life.

They know what they did wrong, they will fix some things, break others and eventually BF V will become decent in
    a year or so. Same story with almost every BF game so far.

Just relax.. IT'S A GAME :smiley:

Yeah, But sooner or later EA will unfortunately pull the plug on DICE due to poor sales figures again and again, (Or sales that don't meet EA's expectations rather.)
  • EdwinSpangler
    1778 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I surely agree with your title. Not gonna read all that tho.
  • rifle77
    104 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    BF1 opened the door for me, and BFV chased me right out of it.
  • Red_Label_Scotch
    1232 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Lt-Rapido wrote: »
    Is there a tl,dr version?

Good God, how slow *do* you read?
  • Toxic_CA
    855 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I love coming to these forums to read essays.
  • diagoro
    1530 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Well said, agree with it all.

Think this major tirning point has been coming for a few generations. They always had time, resources and sraff to fix the game, and showrd genuine interest in doing so. Now it looks like the have 3 devs and 10 markeying guys, and all we get is lame spin and delay tactics.

There's no waiting a year for proper fixes this time, the party is over. They screwed BFV, and I imsgine pre-orders and early sales for the next will be abysmal.

Gutted.
  • SumwhatKrazy
    555 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hard to believe that their big selling point "fire storm"has no local servers for so many countries.
  • normanethan
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    For this old school BF'er BF4 is where they lost their way so if thats the game you cling to you are part of the problem. It was an utter clusterf*&%. BF1 was better and this game still has massive potential but big isses that need addressing.
  • Tip_the_Cap
    181 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I've com to realize through reading and watching vids that it's EA that is mainly at fault for all our unhappiness. Dice, had to put this game out before it was finished and now are constantly playing catch up and fixing ****.

Lack of maps is my main gripe, and I have feeling EA is behind that as well. Making maps is the most time consuming part of making a game, and demands lots or resources, which means $$$. They tried to make this game on the cheap and charged full price for it.
  • DJTN1
    306 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I get you dude. I read your "wall-of-text" and I certainly understand your frustration but I think you're under the misconception that you, the customer, are a priority. You're not. Shareholders are. The ones who make the big decisions are only concerned with shareholders. To them you are one of many and easily replaceable with a well done video trailer and a deceiving marketing plan. They will continue to milk the community for everything it has and when it all runs out they'll blame the studio, close it and come out with a new game or ip from another studio. They we're disappointed they sold only 7 million copies of BFV and considered it a failure. They don't want more money, they want ALL the money. It is the world and times we live in.